Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RandomFerret posted:

The really crazy thing is when they put in stuff from movies that haven't been made yet. It started in Monsters Inc when they hid Nemo everywhere. Then in Finding Nemo there's a kid reading a Mr. Incredible comic book. Then in The Incredibles Doc Hudson from Cars is parked on the street. Then in Cars WALL-E is on a pit crew during the big race. It has gone on like that to this day.

In Up, it's Lotso from Toy Story 3 in an apartment that the house flies by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

scary ghost dog posted:

Who is Lucy Liu's dad and a big time Kung Fu movie actor, so he's in it for lots of reasons.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0514904/

He's not Lucy Liu's father.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

AGirlWonder posted:

Except the Bride kills Gogo before the mooks, right? She whacks Gogo, then looks up to see O-Ren, then hears the motorcycles.

She kills some first, then Gogo, then the rest.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

That little detail is also even better considering Commissioner Gordon makes it clear that he'd rather die than be exiled from Gotham City. So what does Dr. Crane, psychologist and rear end in a top hat extraordinaire do? Sentences him to death. By exile.

It's the classic death by snu-snu joke.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Janitor actually interacts with Elliott once while he was still meant to be a figment of JD's imagination on Scrubs.

Aphrodite has a new favorite as of 12:28 on Aug 23, 2012

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Philip J Fry posted:

Wasn't Borden's diary pretty much a ruse -- meant to occupy, distract and misguide Angier? He knew Olivia would give it to Angier despite leaving him for Borden. So the writing makes sense, in trying to maintain that he was still acting alone.

Yes. At the end of the diary (And movie), he writes directly to Angier.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Well, the problem with Men in Black is that it kind of falls apart by the end because the original ending tested poorly. So everything involving the "galaxy" got kind of thrown together through last minute reshoots and rewrites.

Oddly enough a similar thing happened with MiB2 which is why they go from looking for a thing to all of a sudden looking for a person.

Wait, that was a rewrite in 2? I thought it was just a twist.

What was Rosario Dawson's character before that, then?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

More specifically, it's if you place the gun there as part of a scene, or refer to it in one.

It's not about set dressing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

One of the better subtle things about Scott Pilgrim is how unabashedly Canadian it is, but full of things you have to be familiar with Canada to notice: Pizza Pizza, Plumtree, Second Cup, the "gold" coins are all Loonies, Clash at Demonhead's big song is a Metric cover, etc.

They also pronounce Toronto correctly in the intro, even though Bill Hader who does the narration is American.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No, that's right.

Americans usually pronounce the second T. Canadians don't. Hell, some people don't even pronounce the first O and you get "Tronno".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Don't they mention it, though?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

qntm posted:

Essentially, the movies Hot Fuzz and Shaun Of The Dead consist of 50% dominoes being set up and the other 50% of those dominoes being knocked down again.

Hot Fuzz is more like 90% then 10%.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ariong posted:

I presume that you don't mean the sex toy kind of real doll.

No, that's exactly what the movie's about.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

To re-rail this just a little bit, Django Unchained, the horse that Jamie Foxx uses throughout the majority movie, is actually his horse.

Also, at the end of the dinner scene, Calvin Candie smashes some glass on the table and ends up cutting open his hand. The only catch being that this wasn't scripted and not a special effect; Leo really cut open his hand. So a moment later, when he is manhandling Brunhilde and he smears blood all over her? Yeah, that's the real deal.

No, that scene was most likely inserted later. Cutting his hand was real, and they finished the scene with his hand cut like that, but someone probably had the idea to add the insert afterwards.

It would be all kinds of dangerous and illegal if he really did that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

NGL posted:

I read on the internet once that the bit where the wife is irate and screams, "I know what you are", the line was accidentally ad-libbed. The actress proceeded to freak out a bit, as she felt she'd just given away the ending.

"Nolan, the director, then calmly explained to her that movies are not aired live."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Len posted:

I've been hearing "UNIX system lol" for years. I'm glad I can tell those insufferable pricks to shut up now.

Well no, her line is still wrong.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The page says it only ran on IRIX.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Decrepus posted:

Standing up?

Maybe one is Hagrid.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Mk II suit is also the War Machine suit in the second movie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A channel I was watching (FX, I think) was showing an ad for a Superbad airing, and I never noticed before but in the fake ID McLovin gets he has his glasses on.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's a brand new movie, people.

KoB posted:

But then the 2nd one didnt.

Second one is damaged.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Is it wrong that I find it hilarious to be discussing subtlety in a movie that's basically Transformers/Ultra Man/Johnny Socko's Flying Robot fighting Godzilla and King Ghidorah? I'll cop to not having seen Pacific Rim yet (and I want to) but I'm not going into it expecting Kubrick levels of subtlety.

Or any subtlety, really.

Cause, you know, giant monsters vs. giant robots and poo poo.

When you're dealing with that kind of scale, anything less than a rocket punch is subtle.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Probably not ones for children though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

I for one am really looking forwards to Princess Meridia's baby.

So is Polanski.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

In the first half of the season 5 premier (i.e., what aired last summer...still not sure why they are calling it a split season 5 instead of 5 and 6, but whatever):

They filmed them straight through, and there's some money stuff that means splitting season 5 cost much less than making a short 5 and 6.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Xander77 posted:

That was the problem with both Scream and Cabin - they're not actually making points or satirizing much of anything, just making observations. The "what's the deal with airline food" of satire (provided anyone ever actually made a "what's the deal with airline food" joke and it wasn't born as a bad standup routine punchline)

It was Seinfeld.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He also says "What's the deal with airline food" straight up in an SNL sketch, but he's playing a character.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's more like show and tell in those scenes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, Dredd got really good reviews for the 3D Bluray.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I believe it even says used iPod Nano.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mierenneuker posted:

the gently caress happened to this thread

Don't fight it, just let it happen.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MRA thread is the other way.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

oh em gee bee ess posted:

Oh man, my ears are burning red now. I'm feeling a tonne of second-hand internet embarrassment. How about you buy a clue and realise that it's a movie and it fits in with how James Bond is as a character and not an example of why Sean Connery is a oval office because lets face it he's a oval office for a load of different reasons not because of how he portrayed James Bond.

Okay. Nobody said that, so good job winning the debate with yourself I guess.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's Stark/Avengers Tower.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

jabby posted:

It always kind of bugged me that Ellen Paige's character showed that the 'builder' had almost total conscious control over the dream world, but they never use that to their tactical advantage against the projections. Maybe they're afraid it will make it worse or something, but they should have nearly godlike power dammit.

Well, they do establish that stuff is bad and makes the person's mind fight back. Considering how delicate what they're trying to do is, they probably can't risk it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cleretic posted:

I'm admittedly not big on anything from DC that isn't the Arkham games, but isn't it that Scarface is a completely normal, albeit creepy, doll that's just consistently puppet-ed by crazy people?

Or is it one of those things where there might be an 'official' explanation but even the people writing it aren't good about remembering it?

Yes, but if the Ventriloquist thinks Scarface is lobotomized then it still works. He's crazy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't recall, would that be the Robin scene or Bruce alive?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Eva Green isn't in that movie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kruller posted:

Their initial suspect for who the dealer is is Rooster, who has a tattoo. When his tattoo is revealed, it's for his high school mascot, the Red Herrings.

I think I was the only one who got this joke in the theatre I went to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Xander77 posted:

Oh. I re-watched / read the wrong part then.

Just to be sure, is that something mentioned in the planning "buy a farm" stage, or just implied when they're about to leave with Broomhilda?

I don't think Django or Schultz ever says it explicitly, but Stephen actually does when he tells Candie he's been duped.

DrVenkman posted:

No. They get the signature for her freedom. It happens right in the scene before everything goes to poo poo. Candy signs and has to goad Schultz again to prove he's better than him and forces him to shake his hand.

They get her under the promise they'll come back and buy a prize fighter. Candy signs the document marking her as a free woman. Candy, Django and Broomhilda would've left and just never come back and there was nothing that Candy could do. Django and Broomhilda would both be considered free people.

It's one of the darkest jokes in the movie for me that they're able to obtain her so easily. Candy literally couldn't give a poo poo about Broomhilda.

Yeah, the original plan was to say "Okay, we'll be back in a few days with an official contract and $12000. Meanwhile here's some petty cash for this slave that reminds me of my home country."

Stephen clues Candie in, and he then demands the $12000 right then and there for Broomhilda only. Schultz actually agrees to this and all the proper papers are signed.

Then Candie continues to push him and it all goes bad. The papers exist and are signed by the proper parties though, so after the events of the movie she's still not a runaway.