Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sum
Nov 15, 2010

Considering that the demo was heavily scripted because of the format of the presentation and that the game is likely 1-2 years from release (if not more), I think it's too early to begin damning the gameplay for being too linear. I think people are already projecting their desire for an open world Deus Ex/their anger at GTA 4 on what is essentially very advanced stage concept art. It's just too early to pass judgement on how scripted or not the end product is going to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Dapper Dan posted:

Not to distract from the Watchdogs chat (which looks really loving amazing, but I'm not going to be caught dead pre-ordering anything ever again) but the reason good video game writing is uncommon/rare/nonexistent, depending on your perspective, is because of several things I think. Firstly, the medium is pretty young and still maturing. There are a lot of kinks to work out because interactivity adds a whole new dimension to storytelling. For example, as talked about in this thread, the problem of the open world protagonist. He's probably going to end up a sociopath outside of cut scenes because most people want to get to their next objective in the game fast. Which means crashing into things and running down a shitload of pedestrians.

I think that this is the biggest problem in a good video game ever being written. With nearly every other medium the theme can be summarized as "Character was like A, so B happened". With video games the demand is for the story telling to be interactive, but the problem with doing that is a) making a truly responsive game that has a story is probably impossible and b) it fucks up the idea of having a theme. So writers either have to choose to stick to one story and make player agency irrelevant or respond to the player's choices in superficial ways while still making them go through essentially the same events, making the moral meaningless. I suppose there's also games like the Walking Dead which make a convincing appearance of player's choices mattering, but I'm afraid that that trick probably won't work more than a few times, and outside of a simple, tense survival game would completely fail artistically.

• Locked thread