Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Quote is not edit

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

bird with big dick posted:

Yes. One is 50k, one is 49k, and one is 43k, and they refuse to remove the 43k from the comparison. If you look at comparable vehicles for sale right now (including no haggle places like Carmax) they're all 49k-53k. Progressive's own car shopping website says 53k is a "fair purchase price." They're trying to give me 47.

Their condition evaluation is also bullshit IMO. My car was garaged its entire life and waxed every 6 months with a cloth baby diaper and poo poo. It's basically flawless but they said it was all "typical." I spent years in car sales I know a little bit about vehicle conditions and valuations.

Their post accident pictures also aren't going to be super useful because you can imagine how loving mangled it needs to be to total a 50,000 dollar vehicle.

I want 50k for the truck plus something more reasonable than $650 for the $8,000 worth of aftermarket lift/wheels/tires/etc I put on the truck in 2019. If this accident was my fault I'd understand I'm gonna get screwed on that poo poo but it is 100% their client's fault (both he and I have Progressive).

The condition adjustment sounds reasonable. The person who did the total loss assessment isn’t your adjuster, have you talked to them/their boss? They should be listed on the valuation report. The post accident pictures are mostly for determining the condition before the accident - if the seats are all torn up, radio missing, engine bay has oil everywhere, etc. that aren’t related to the accident they’re going to bake that into the equation. I could see maybe a $1-2k in conditioning if they marked it up higher. IIRC it’s a 5 point scale, but based on the year of the car, a “typical” rating could be anything on the scale. A 2021 car you’d expect to be rated 5/5 so that’s typical for the age, while a 2010 car has some wear, maybe a door ding or 5, and a typical rating may be 3/5. I say this because I’m not sure what they rated your truck. If they already rated it 5/5 there isn’t anywhere for it to go, but I doubt this is the case.

Why do you feel the $43k comp should be removed? You’d have to support why that one is so off base it shouldn’t be included. If you can find the listing, does it have some damage, check engine light, things like that which would make it hard to be used as a comparable?

On the lift/wheels/tires, this is the biggest struggle you’re going to run into. These typically don’t add a ton of value to when you go to sell the vehicle, and that’s effectively what the valuation is trying to calculate. Similar to car sales where a dealer won’t give you much extra for a lift and aftermarket wheels/tires. I’m assuming they’re damaged from the accident but if not you could probably yank the tires and wheels and throw on the stock ones if you have them, and sell the aftermarket ones. Obviously this is a big hassle.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

The condition adjustment sounds reasonable. The person who did the total loss assessment isn’t your adjuster, have you talked to them/their boss? They should be listed on the valuation report. The post accident pictures are mostly for determining the condition before the accident - if the seats are all torn up, radio missing, engine bay has oil everywhere, etc. that aren’t related to the accident they’re going to bake that into the equation. I could see maybe a $1-2k in conditioning if they marked it up higher. IIRC it’s a 5 point scale, but based on the year of the car, a “typical” rating could be anything on the scale. A 2021 car you’d expect to be rated 5/5 so that’s typical for the age, while a 2010 car has some wear, maybe a door ding or 5, and a typical rating may be 3/5. I say this because I’m not sure what they rated your truck. If they already rated it 5/5 there isn’t anywhere for it to go, but I doubt this is the case.

They rated everything 3 except tires which they gave a 4.

quote:

Why do you feel the $43k comp should be removed? You’d have to support why that one is so off base it shouldn’t be included.

Because it's a statistical outlier, and probably is such for a reason. Including statistical outliers is bad practice in virtually every situation but it's especially bad when the vehicle you're trying to evaluate is in exceptional condition. If my vehicle were in average condition it might be reasonable to include the 49k and 50k assuming they were in exceptional condition and then include the 43k assuming it's in below average condition in order to arrive at a reasonable value for an average vehicle. The problem with that reasoning is that I promise you my vehicle is in as good or better condition than the one that sold for 50k, so including one the sold for 43k that almost certainly has condition issues is BS.

Compared to their 2 other comps and every single currently for sale listing (Autotrader, Carmax, KBB, local dealerships, Carvana, literally everything I can find) it's the only one under 48.5k. And it's not just a little under the average, it's fully 7 thousand dollars under the average.

There almost certainly were condition issues with the 43k truck but of course there's no documentation of that one way or the other, there's no listing still on the internet anywhere, and I even contacted the selling dealership and they didn't respond.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

On the lift/wheels/tires, this is the biggest struggle you’re going to run into. These typically don’t add a ton of value to when you go to sell the vehicle, and that’s effectively what the valuation is trying to calculate. Similar to car sales where a dealer won’t give you much extra for a lift and aftermarket wheels/tires. I’m assuming they’re damaged from the accident but if not you could probably yank the tires and wheels and throw on the stock ones if you have them, and sell the aftermarket ones. Obviously this is a big hassle.

The problem is that 95% of people throw on a lovely $899 Rough Country spacer lift and that's what they're valuing mine as, but that's not what it is. People will absolutely pay more for high end aftermarket equipment like this, especially in Nevada. The front coilovers alone, used with 8,000 miles on them, are probably worth double what they're trying to give me for all $10,000 worth of parts and labor.

Most of the equipment is damaged plus the truck is in another state.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 15, 2020

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I told Progressive this and asked them if I get to see what, exactly, they provide to the appraiser. They have not yet responded. One of my claims adjuster's tactics seems to be to ignore me all week long and then call me at 4:15 PM on Friday so I have a maximum of 45 minutes to yell at him.

I used to work in claims. If you are actually yelling at them I’m not surprised they aren’t willing to work with you. I never did anything more than the bare minimum required by my employer for people who were jerks to me.

And a lot of the time the people that set the value and give the adjuster the ok to pay x amount are not the same person you are talking to. Ask to talk to someone with the authority level to approve a $50k reserve/payment.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

sheri posted:

I used to work in claims. If you are actually yelling at them I’m not surprised they aren’t willing to work with you. I never did anything more than the bare minimum required by my employer for people who were jerks to me.

And a lot of the time the people that set the value and give the adjuster the ok to pay x amount are not the same person you are talking to. Ask to talk to someone with the authority level to approve a $50k reserve/payment.

I was nice to them for the first 4 weeks. We're almost to week 6. I have a second car payment coming up.

I also got a lot less nice to them when they started literally lying to me. And I'm not literally yelling I'm just done taking their poo poo and you can definitely hear it in my tone of voice.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

They rated everything 3 except tires which they gave a 4.

Because it's a statistical outlier, and probably is such for a reason. Including statistical outliers is bad practice in virtually every situation but it's especially bad when the vehicle you're trying to evaluate is in exceptional condition. If my vehicle were in average condition it might be reasonable to include the 49k and 50k assuming they were in exceptional condition and then include the 43k assuming it's in below average condition in order to arrive at a reasonable value for an average vehicle. The problem with that reasoning is that I promise you my vehicle is in as good or better condition than the one that sold for 50k, so including one the sold for 43k that almost certainly has condition issues is BS.

Compared to their 2 other comps and every single currently for sale listing (Autotrader, Carmax, KBB, local dealerships, Carvana, literally everything I can find) it's the only one under 48.5k. And it's not just a little under the average, it's fully 7 thousand dollars under the average.

There almost certainly were condition issues with the 43k truck but of course there's no documentation of that one way or the other, there's no listing still on the internet anywhere, and I even contacted the selling dealership and they didn't respond.

I don’t think you’re going to have luck throwing out the $43k comp just because it’s an outlier, especially if you can’t identify a particular reason why it’s so much cheaper than the others. Was it a sold vehicle vs what the others are listed for? There is an adjustment for expected negotiation amounts. If there was a $57k comp it would be an outlier too but in your favor. You try googling the VIN to see if you can find any old listings for it? You can’t assume there is something wrong with the $43k comp, you have to prove it.

On the conditioning, call the person who did the valuation. They, or their manager, can change the conditioning. Your adjuster can’t.

The problem is that 95% of people throw on a lovely $899 Rough Country spacer lift and that's what they're valuing mine as, but that's not what it is. People will absolutely pay more for high end aftermarket equipment like this, especially in Nevada. The front coilovers alone, used with 8,000 miles on them, are probably worth double what they're trying to give me for all $10,000 worth of parts and labor.

Most of the equipment is damaged plus the truck is in another state.

I get what you’re saying, but working in car sales previously, you know the dealer is paying pennies on the dollar for aftermarket equipment. It’s just not a value add, and you can’t say the cost of the coilovers is worth the retail price since you’ve removed the original suspension components, so it’s really much closer to a net neutral cost difference than retail.

Try to find comps that sold with lift kits and aftermarket wheels and see if they’ll consider those. They’d have to be geographically close.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

If I had $5,000 worth of car parts in the trunk of my car, and someone runs a red light and hits me and destroys all those parts, what could I reasonably expect to be able recover from his insurance for them?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Depends on how you’re valuing those parts. Brand new, uninstalled parts? Probably the full $5k. Something used that you’re stating the value is $5k? Could be anything based on what they’re actually selling for.

Please don’t use this example with your adjuster because it’s real bad. Parts value isn’t a separate thing from your vehicle.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Try to find comps that sold with lift kits and aftermarket wheels and see if they’ll consider those. They’d have to be geographically close.

There aren't any. It's a rare vehicle.

quote:

so it’s really much closer to a net neutral cost difference than retail.

Not that much closer. I can get factory strut replacements new for $129 each at autozone. External reservoir Fox coilovers are more than $1000 each.

quote:

the dealer is paying pennies on the dollar for aftermarket equipment.

I don't care what dealers pay, I'm not trading in a vehicle.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Depends on how you’re valuing those parts. Brand new, uninstalled parts? Probably the full $5k. Something used that you’re stating the value is $5k? Could be anything based on what they’re actually selling for.

Please don’t use this example with your adjuster because it’s real bad. Parts value isn’t a separate thing from your vehicle.

So if there are used parts in my trunk that I could get $4,000 for on eBay, I could reasonably expect to get $4,000 for them, but the second I install them on my vehicle they're worth $650?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

There aren't any. It's a rare vehicle.

Not that much closer. I can get factory strut replacements new for $129 each at autozone. External reservoir Fox coilovers are more than $1000 each.

I don't care what dealers pay, I'm not trading in a vehicle.

The point is that replacing stock components with aftermarket is essentially a money pit, and that’s what the dealer comment is about. The dealer is saying these aftermarket components only add a fraction of their purchase price to the vehicle’s value, and that’s how insurance companies also operate. You can go dump $10k into a sound system but it’s actual value is very low.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

So if there are used parts in my trunk that I could get $4,000 for on eBay, I could reasonably expect to get $4,000 for them, but the second I install them on my vehicle they're worth $650?

I’ve never said the $650 is right, mostly because I’m not familiar with your individual specifics. If you install them in your vehicle you’re removing the stock components, and again, the aftermarket stuff is not worth a large premium over stock in the market.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Do you think good condition used audio equipment resells for 10% of new purchase price? Because that's what they're trying to give me for my parts.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I’ve never said the $650 is right, mostly because I’m not familiar with your individual specifics. If you install them in your vehicle you’re removing the stock components, and again, the aftermarket stuff is not worth a large premium over stock in the market.

I want what I could sell them for used on eBay if the parts were sitting in my living room right now and not destroyed and/or in a different state. They can even deduct the $200 that the factory parts would have been worth.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I don’t think you’re going to have luck throwing out the $43k comp just because it’s an outlier, especially if you can’t identify a particular reason why it’s so much cheaper than the others. Was it a sold vehicle vs what the others are listed for? There is an adjustment for expected negotiation amounts. If there was a $57k comp it would be an outlier too but in your favor. You try googling the VIN to see if you can find any old listings for it? You can’t assume there is something wrong with the $43k comp, you have to prove it.

No, it was not a sold vehicle vs the others being listed. They were all sold.

Of course I tried googling the VIN. You think I contacted the selling dealer but didn't bother googling the VIN?

There's no way for me to prove it's in bad condition just like AFAIK there's no way for them to prove it's in good condition. Barring evidence either way it should be thrown out since it's a statistical outlier. You're not going to win this argument I do statistical analysis for a living.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

No, it was not a sold vehicle vs the others being listed. They were all sold.

Of course I tried googling the VIN.

There's no way for me to prove it's in bad condition just like AFAIK there's no way for them to prove it's in good condition. Barring evidence either way it should be thrown out since it's a statistical outlier. You're not going to win this argument I do statistical analysis for a living.

Lol, I’m not arguing anything. I’m telling you how their process operates.

Good luck, I’m trying to explain their process and where you might be able to get some traction on getting the value higher but you seem to be pretty hostile about it, so have fun.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
this is a good lesson as to why you should do stated value of mods accessories etc if you aren't willing to take the hit on them

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Update on pod insurance issues: the pod organizer's contacted their insurance agent as suggested here, and surprisingly the agent told them they don't need any sort of endorsement or rider on their current renter's policy to cover liability involving the children participating in the pod. This seems at odd with a lot of the advice on the internet, so thought it worth mentioning here.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Nocturtle posted:

Update on pod insurance issues: the pod organizer's contacted their insurance agent as suggested here, and surprisingly the agent told them they don't need any sort of endorsement or rider on their current renter's policy to cover liability involving the children participating in the pod. This seems at odd with a lot of the advice on the internet, so thought it worth mentioning here.

The odds of someone actually bringing a successful covid-from-the-pod case are nearly 0. They're infinitely more likely to slip and fall then die. (Or break an arm.) I wouldn't lose sleep over this. If I were the pod-owner I would definitely grab an umbrella policy while I was at it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

The odds of someone actually bringing a successful covid-from-the-pod case are nearly 0. They're infinitely more likely to slip and fall then die. (Or break an arm.) I wouldn't lose sleep over this. If I were the pod-owner I would definitely grab an umbrella policy while I was at it.

This is good advice. Umbrella policies are dirt cheap for the coverage they offer, assuming you already carry the limits required on your other policies.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

This is good advice. Umbrella policies are dirt cheap for the coverage they offer, assuming you already carry the limits required on your other policies.

What amount of umbrella coverage would you guys recommend for a non-homeowner? Is homeownership even a factor in coverage considerations?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

this is a good lesson as to why you should do stated value of mods accessories etc if you aren't willing to take the hit on them

I'd 100% be willing to take the hit on them if it were an act of god or my own fault, I'm just not super into taking a 11,000 dollar hit due to some loving shitbag's negligence.

The mod's value are of course not the only problem I'm having though, also.

But I'll probably pay for the extra insurance in the future just in case it ever happens again (which, since I'll have the insurance, it undoubtedly will not).

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

Is this really true? It seems like if one child in a pod gets infected and then all the other children+caregiver subsequently get infected around the same time then the case could be made that the infections likely originated at the pod. Is this really so implausible? I legitimately don't know.

This guy seems to think the risk of successfuly lawsuit is in fact super low but states daycares (pod organizers) should still have appropriate liability coverage and not accept policies that exclude infectious diseases:

quote:

As a general rule, however, your program is not responsible for any contagious illness suffered by a child, parent or staff in your program.
Watch out for a new “Communicable Disease Exclusion” endorsement to your policy that says your policy does not apply to communicable diseases. Such an endorsement will say that your policy doesn’t cover ”bodily injury” or “property damage” arising out of the actual or alleged transmission of a communicable disease that might affect staff or ”others that may be infected.”

Such endorsements can be added to your policy at any time. Watch for them or ask your insurance agent if your policy has this new endorsement. If so, you might want to search for other insurance policies that don’t have this endorsement.
He also points out that daycares reduce liability for negligence by following best-practices, in this case most likely CDC guidelines. IMO most pods will not follow those guidelines, because they are in fact fairly stringent.

Certainly agree that the risk from a normal accident is much more likely, and should certainly be covered by insurance.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Nocturtle posted:

Is this really true? It seems like if one child in a pod gets infected and then all the other children+caregiver subsequently get infected around the same time then the case could be made that the infections likely originated at the pod. Is this really so implausible? I legitimately don't know.

Prove that the plague bearer didn't have any contact anywhere even incidentally to someone who may be a silent spreader of covid. Unless you literally live in a bubble and never do things like buy groceries or put gas in your car you would never prove it.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

Prove that the plague bearer didn't have any contact anywhere even- incidentally to someone who may be a silent spreader of covid. Unless you literally live in a bubble and never do things like buy groceries or put gas in your car you would never prove it.

Is this the relevant standard of evidence for a civil suit? I thought in civil cases that something need only shown to be more likely than not. In the slightly contrived example I provided, if all the children in the pod + caregiver get sick of covid at the same time it seems likely that the pod was where the infections happened.

Some random googling suggests most daycares do in fact carry general business liability policies that include communicable disease, for both workers and children. Of course I still have no idea how likely that a covid lawsuit would be successful, but one advantage of getting liability insurance (if it's even available) is that the company defends the suit for you.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

H110Hawk posted:

Prove that the plague bearer didn't have any contact anywhere even incidentally to someone who may be a silent spreader of covid. Unless you literally live in a bubble and never do things like buy groceries or put gas in your car you would never prove it.

You're a terrible lawyer.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

You're a terrible lawyer.

Right? It's a good thing I'm a complete lay person on a comedy forum otherwise I could get in real trouble.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Yes. One is 50k, one is 49k, and one is 43k, and they refuse to remove the 43k from the comparison. If you look at comparable vehicles for sale right now (including no haggle places like Carmax) they're all 49k-53k. Progressive's own car shopping website says 53k is a "fair purchase price." They're trying to give me 47.

Their condition evaluation is also bullshit IMO. My car was garaged its entire life and waxed every 6 months with a cloth baby diaper and poo poo. It's basically flawless but they said it was all "typical." I spent years in car sales I know a little bit about vehicle conditions and valuations.

Their post accident pictures also aren't going to be super useful because you can imagine how loving mangled it needs to be to total a 50,000 dollar vehicle.

I want 50k for the truck plus something more reasonable than $650 for the $8,000 worth of aftermarket lift/wheels/tires/etc I put on the truck in 2019. If this accident was my fault I'd understand I'm gonna get screwed on that poo poo but it is 100% their client's fault (both he and I have Progressive).

My independent appraiser just emailed me and told me that he and the opposing appraiser have agreed upon a value, and it is nearly $7,000 more than my insurance company offered me.

Eat poo poo Progressive. If you hadn’t been such shitbags you probably could have gotten me to sign off on only 3k more, now you’re out an extra 7 plus both appraisers fees.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 24, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

My independent appraiser just emailed me and told me that he and the opposing appraiser have agreed upon a value, and it is nearly $7,000 more than my insurance company offered me.

Eat poo poo Progressive. If you hadn’t been such shitbags you probably could have gotten me to sign off on only 3k more, now you’re out an extra 7 plus both appraisers fees.

For most posters with a similar story I'd be congratulating them. But you just seem so bitter and "off" that it's hard to relate with you or feel any sort of empathy. Part of this definitely includes your posting in the Legal thread.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Motronic posted:

For most posters with a similar story I'd be congratulating them. But you just seem so bitter and "off" that it's hard to relate with you or feel any sort of empathy. Part of this definitely includes your posting in the Legal thread.

Thats funny because you've always seemed like a giant rear end in a top hat to me and part of that definitely includes your posting in the legal thread and also everywhere else you post. Like every time I'm reading a DIY thread and there's someone being a dildo 90% of the time I look and it's you.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 24, 2020

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
What would you like me to do here?

Stop being an rear end in a top hat. That's not directed to anyone specifically, but if you think I mean you, I do.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Is it alright to ask about health insurance?

I am going to fall off of my parent's health insurance soon. 26 Male with UC being treated with Humira (have the copay plan so it's only 5 bucks with my dad's old postal workers plan, would have been 100 a month otherwise), and mesalamine, and omeprazole, with the possibility of methylphenidate and some sort of thing for anxiety in the future if I can get to a psychiatrist. What is a good plan for a federal worker in the southern Indiana region? Is there a good place to pare down the plans listed on OPM?

Basically interested in the cheapest plan that covers my main issues + maybe some basic dental (either in the plan, or if its cheaper than ones that include it, with a basic supplement). I'm relatively healthy, but I know that this stuff can really bung you hard if you make a wrong step. was interested in the MHBP - Standard and Value - Standard (45), if that helps provide any baseline, though I only have a fairly tenuous grasp on what is best.

If this isn't a good place to ask, where should I go/who should I ask? I'm pretty worried about this and I don't want to chose something that doesn't cover what I need and makes me pay out the nose for that nothing.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I am going to go out on a limb and say if you have UC and are taking a designer drug you are a notch or three below "relatively healthy". Do you know what humira costs on those plans should they decide to nix your copay card? Or if you have complications from UC? (Aren't you at higher risk for a bunch of stuff from it?)

You might be better served with a more expensive plan that has lower co-pays/deductibles or covers more. Look closely, ask pointed questions about what is and is not on the formulary, how much it will cost to just exist for 12 months.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Good point. My parents plan says it would cost a benjamin, and I get what your saying, especially since you never know what will happen when the patent runs out (or, well, when a biosimilar comes out actually, due to the technicalities) since the company may drop the copay assistance like a phat beat.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

thechosenone posted:

What is a good plan for a federal worker in the southern Indiana region? Is there a good place to pare down the plans listed on OPM?
Look into Blue Cross Basic. We’ve been happy with it for about a decade, and it’s close to the least expensive nationwide plan. I think. Haven’t compared in a few years.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Is there an easy summary or flow chart of how much insurance you should have for auto/home? For instance for auto liability, we have 100/300, which seems like a lot compared to the minimum of 30/60, but the internet seems all over the place for recommendations.

Deductible part is easy to understand, but the actual coverage amounts I can't get my head around what the numbers should be.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

MrLogan posted:

Is there an easy summary or flow chart of how much insurance you should have for auto/home? For instance for auto liability, we have 100/300, which seems like a lot compared to the minimum of 30/60, but the internet seems all over the place for recommendations.

Deductible part is easy to understand, but the actual coverage amounts I can't get my head around what the numbers should be.

Theres no quick and easy answer. The most you can afford without being excessive is really the only guidance I can give.

I carry 500k CSL on auto, and if I owned a home I would drop an umbrella policy over it for another 1 or 2 million.

I have a claim at work with over $1M reserve for a guy tripping in a parking lot. So I really stand by the as much as you can afford approach.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Seconding "buy as much as you can afford". If something serious happens - especially with auto - you will blow through limits in a claim.

Bondematt posted:

I have a claim at work with over $1M reserve for a guy tripping in a parking lot. So I really stand by the as much as you can afford approach.

Oooh what happened with your slip/fall claim where the reserve is so high?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Dango Bango posted:

Seconding "buy as much as you can afford". If something serious happens - especially with auto - you will blow through limits in a claim.

Oooh what happened with your slip/fall claim where the reserve is so high?

Old man in poor health and is now on his third surgery for his leg that was previously broken and it's likely hes going to lose it. The medical costs alone have hit $400k, and they are not expected to slow down as his conditions deteriorate.

Basically a gust of wind could have taken him out, but instead it was an uneven asphalt surface.