Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I'm thinking about getting a Lasius Niger and some workers and I've been waffling about where to put them. Would putting them in a South-facing window be prudent? It never gets direct light, but it would allow some circadian rhythms to take over. It's also on my desk in an area where my wife never goes, which ups its value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

OneTwentySix posted:

I don't think that light is terribly important; most of the ants will spend the majority of their life completely underground. The main issue is just that they get some light, so they're born to it and don't go running like crazy when there's light. You might want to be careful with the window, though, in case they'd get too hot.

It really doesn't get too hot. That corner is easily the most temperature regulated one in the apartment.

I was reading that one way of moving ants around. For example to get them from test tube A to test tube B, you wrap test tube B with foil and just shine a light on the both of them. Will they get too desensitized?

Followup question: I'm assuming the Lasius hibernates. Is it 'okay' to purchase them in that state? For the record I live in Central Europe so Winter starts a bit earlier for us.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I ordered some up. There's a guy up in Zurich who has an awesome website. Lasius Niger queen with ~4 workers.

Looking forward to it. I'm like Calvin in that series where he orders up that beanie and then just sits and waits for it to arrive.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Sweet. Lasius Niger Queen and some of her workers arrived.

I've been poking around the internet, but is there just a good general guide to raising that species? From what I've gathered they're pretty hard to gently caress up, but I just want to have all the facts going in.

Hey baby want to see my formicarium?

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Is there a chart or something for when the flights are going to/expected to be year to year? I want to be prepared, this year. I'm in Europe, if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I picked up three queens just a few moments ago. They're everywhere, so I might go back on the hunt. What a rush! I picked up a couple a few weeks ago, but they were almost definitely unfertilized females, which was probably my fault because I just plucked them from the mouth of their nest.

But these buggers were everywhere, two different species. Got 'em each in glass tubes with some wet cotton balls. My wife, who is devoid of spacial reasoning skills, put all my test tubes in such a way so they got broken. So right now I have them in some PVC and (no joke) an old bong slide. We'll see how this works out.

• Locked thread