Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

loving Christ. I'm on the mission where you have to boost the stolen goods from Dogeyes to impress Winston, and I keep dying. It seems like if I get a couple hits on me, I go down. Or else I'll beat the first wave of enemies with just a little health left, then the second wave comes at me and kills me and I'll have to start all over :froggonk:

Can I drop down the difficulty? Or do I have to just keep practicing until I get good at this?

edit: Nevermind, I finally did it :D

Yeah that mission made me give up 'mash buttons' and actually learn to counter moves. Or run away really fast then come back with a flying kick. And in very special emergencies, climb up on the roof of cars to get a little breather. Armed thugs, gently caress youuuuu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

CowboyAndy posted:

It's really interesting to play in a city that is (for me) foreign and unknown.

It's the opposite for me with this and Just Cause 2. It's like going home... TO BLOW IT UP. :black101:

I also accidentally turned off the subtitles without realizing it. "Oh crap what're they sayi... oh I know exactly what they're saying."

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Deadly Hume posted:

I'm concerned that JBs in Bourke St might be giving people the wrong idea.

blurry phonecam picture, ugh. You get the idea though.
Awww it's a game about sleeping puppies.

Then again if it's a pathway to get people who are normally interested in casual pets games into the world of awesome open-world games, it's a good thing.

Aww puppies. :3:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

+15% damage vs female opponents. Oh wait, that's for Fallout, sorry.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, the DLC is really kind of worrying. I'm hoping they dont go full Saints Row 3 levels of bad DLC here.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"Guns are a rarity in Hong Kong."

Next mission, everyone has guns. :downs:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I swear I have the worst knack for hitting the wrong button at the wrong time.

"Help! That man stole my purse!"
"I'LL HELP YOU!"*flying kick to the woman's head*

And dont even get started on me trying to hail a taxi.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah I figured standing in front of one would work better. Poor cab drivers getting beaten up. I'm sorry, I only wanted a ride!

I also finished Winston's arc. Then I got my sister's social worker report. :smithicide:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tiffany mission two: After listening to that phone conversation, I was skeeved out as hell. I'd have let him keep her Wei. :stonk:

Are there boats around? I noticed a few offshore markers.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Bullets are nothing to Wei Shen! I just charge at guns and disarm them all. For the second major gun battle I threw away all the guns and punched out anyone til I was forced to use guns for the second section. :argh:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

skooma512 posted:

So Tiffany is seeing some other guy on the side. That bitch! How dare she! I'm going to go bug the payphone she uses!

Oh wait, we aren't even officially dating. What the gently caress is this? Andwhy is she using a payphone when she can just use a cell phone? This is Hong Kong for gently caress's sake.

Wei sat there for literally hours watching that phone.s

This game just got really creepy.

I like how that resolved though. Play the next mission and LAUGH At Wei.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wei, it's Raymond. Meet me at the designated location so we can shout at each other some more.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Maybe they've hacked the cameras already, and now you've to hack them back? :confused: It's the only thing I can think of.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lady get down from there.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh god, I was at a murder scene and had to photograph the bodies. Except the game bugged out so the corpses were all just wandering aimlessly.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I wanted a big hug from Mrs Chu and for Jackie to go out with Jiu Mei. :unsmith:

Sleeping Dogs - Goddammit Wei watch your back! should be the new subtitle. It's like the guy has no goddamn peripheral vision and gets blindsided all the time.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Aug 27, 2012

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Apologies if this has been asked, but are there fixes for the floaty camera and tiny FOV?

'Dont touch the camera controls' is what people seemed to have settled on. The tiny FOV is actually a crucial plot element, mirroring Wei's inability to see anyone sneaking up on him.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Combat and driving I'll use the controller, though if I'm going to be in a gunfight in a car, I'll go for the KBAM right away because I cant aim for poo poo while trying to drive at the same time on the controller.

I'll also use the KBAM for the karaoke, lockpicking and calibration minigames.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The vendors are awesome, even if you'd never hear 'My duck has amazing healing powers!' in real life.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dogeyes is invulerable to damage at a certain part of the game, but not invincible. Then I stopped playing Sleeping Dogs and started playing 'How many times can I slam a car door on Dogeyes' head before I get bored?' :allears:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There's already a Hong Kong accent, and it's just jarring that half the characters have it correct while the other half have perfect American accents.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

There are no mods out right now, but one of the members hereSuper Space Wizard Gibbed is already working on some tools for the game.

Just clarifying a little here. :allears: Cant wait to see what he cooks up.

Finished the game last night, rolling from 'The Funeral' right to the end and what an amazing trip it was. Usually I just dont get too into video game plots, but this one hooked me in and by the end I was all 'DEATH TO BIG SMILE LEE!'

I only wish I had more missions with Old Salty Crab though. His dialogue was the best.

"Wow, you're pretty AND talented!"
:stare: "What did you say?"
"I said you're pretty talented."
"Oh thanks."

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 28, 2012

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I want a whole DLC where you play as Old Salty Crab. Or maybe Young Salty Crab. :allears:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fun bug, I ran over a motorcyclist and he got embedded in my car, spraying blood everywhere I went. Also a bazillion points deducted for killing an innocent.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I feel bad not getting closure on Conroy and Mrs Chu at the end though. Also that dramatic zoom in on the (early infiltration and late Dogeyes spoiler)planted bug turned out to be for nothing?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kind of interesting at the end how Auntie Jiang and Wei parallel Uncle Po and Pendrew, since Po used Pendrew to eliminate all his enemies in the triad and leave him as Dragon Head, and now it's the same thing with Jiang and Wei.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pyronic posted:

-Most of the Dating missions are really strange Amanda's is the most jarring, referring to you buying her a dress previously and half baked.
:ssh: Read her case file. She's got a raging case of yellow fever and you arent the only handsome asian man in her life.

quote:

-Dealing with Dogeyes also seemed kind of anticlimactic, and afterwards it feels like the main story just forgets he even existed aside from maybe 2 conversations later.

Really? I thought it was pretty drat satisfying. Then again, he was immune to damage but not grabbing at the last part, so I just kept slamming his head over and over again into the car door. And after that, Mrs Chu takes care of him. That was pretty drat satisfying I think. Then he's dead, why waste time on dead men?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

After Tiffany, I just went and put a pork bun in my hand. That's all you need to be a man.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I do like how the dates happen regardless of time/weather conditions. My date with Amanda was a nice walk through the park at midnight in a raging thunderstorm, both of us looking like drowned rats.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I only got to 8 after the story though, but then I'd been ignoring most of the side missions. You do get some suits throughout the game as story outfits.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I dont know if he's being sarcastic with 'Cutting edge!' or not.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dim sum places will usually have them as well. And you might as well get some har gow and siu mai while you're there.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sleeping Dogs is probably driving up pork bun sales.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nope, it's just steamed fluffy dough. Tasty as hell.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"Thanks Wei for shutting down that street racing gang. Those guys kill and injure many people on the street every day."
"Sure thing Teng."

*Rushes off to the next race to grind up Face XP*

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Do missions. You'll get access to it eventually.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Brakes + accelerate + turning gets you turned around very fast. Useful if you drive into a mob of triads or into fight clubs.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Not the way I played it. :v:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hahah holy cow that door slam. 'Remind me not to mess with you' indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pharmaskittle posted:

I feel like I'm not 100% getting the melee, but I picked this up and it's pretty great. I sort of wish things were explained a little better, like what exactly a full Face meter does aside from adding some graphical effects and (I think??) giving you some health regen.

A full face meter also allows you to gently caress up those special enemies with your whole array of moves. Grapplers can be grappled, brawlers can be interrupted.

• Locked thread