Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
In on this. I'm basically a whore for good open-world games these days.

The finishing moves seem a bit brutal but I'm sure I'll be desensitised to them in good time. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

synertia posted:

Woah woah woah. Ninja tune radio?! Awesome, I love that label. Thanks man.
That and Warp. Sometimes game tie-ins are worthwhile.

Also in the "where's my damned code GMG" club. The deal was alright though, I just hope they get them out soon.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Well something is downloading.

As luck would have it, it's going to unlock while I'm away for the weekend. Probably won't get to have a go at it until Monday after work. It is a good thing that I am a patient man.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Gyoru posted:

Here are some Karaoke clips for the curious:

- The Clash - I Fought The Law
- Air Supply - All Out of Love

Wei's voice actor sings all of these.
Oh god Animal Kingdom reference :swoon:

Anyway it unlocked for me, which is nice considering I thought I had a couple of days to wait. Now grabbing the texture pack, though, so it'll be a little while before I really get into.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

First impressions a couple of hours in - pretty good, although as with any game how the camera works takes a little getting used to.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I went a little crazy with the flying kicks on civilians (the more complex moves I've still to get the hang of), at least until the uniforms noticed. So I of course tried to flee on foot when I noticed a fire truck, so I got into that and led the police cars a merry chase halfway around the island until I lost them. While all this was happening, the music sounded familiar to me, some weird jaunty number with steel drums or something, and it turned out to be Battles' Futura.

Yeah, I think I like this game.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I'm spewing I didn't use the gong at the temple. If you get what I mean.

Can always go back and do it again.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I'm concerned that JBs in Bourke St might be giving people the wrong idea.

blurry phonecam picture, ugh. You get the idea though.
Awww it's a game about sleeping puppies.

Then again if it's a pathway to get people who are normally interested in casual pets games into the world of awesome open-world games, it's a good thing.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Yeah I finished the storyline last night. Was pretty good. :words: incoming.

When this first popped on the radar a few months ago I was all "oh, open world game set in HK, let's see how this goes" and took a punt on it without doing the usual waiting for goon consensus thing, nor buying into any of the pre-game hype. And generally it exceeded my expectations because of the characterisation and the atmosphere of the city and surrounds.

The melee was pretty good fun, I think as I said earlier some of the finishing moves were a bit :stare: but put it down to Wei Shen getting his red mist rising. The "wait your turn and counter the flashing dude" group combat seems to becoming a convention because of things like Assassin's Creed and the Batman: Arkham games but if you can remember the moves (I just went button-mashing while making sure to counter and it seemed to be just as effective heh) it had a particular feel that I liked.

It's true to say the world isn't as "open" as your GTAs and Just Causes, but that didn't bother me, I mean, what would've they done, do a very crude mapping of the mountain and then spam SpeedTree all over it? It would've been nice I suppose (especially if they threw in helicopters and maybe an airport), plus throwing more streets to get lost in, but that gives them room for improvement for a sequel, if they get the OK to do one. If they didn't have the budget to go as big as GTA IV's Liberty City, I think they did a good job on concentrating on those areas that counted to get the general feel across - I'll take the word of those who actually know HK as to how effective it was.

Plus I liked having a nice freeway to hoon around on. The driving model was pretty serviceable though it could've used a little more refinement I suppose, but I liked mechanics like the slo-mo shooting, the ramming (a bit like Driver: San Francisco) and the action hijacking, which is always good times because then you've got to shake off the cops.

The dating stuff was a bit eh, I mean it seemed a bit odd that you'd do a mission and then you'd never hear from them again (Ilyana aside, since she ties into the final investigation case line. So, could take it or leave it, but it wasn't too obnoxious to me (aside from the whole Wei is a irrepressible baller except when he isn't thing).

The dress-ups were fine, seemed to me whatever clothes Wei wore looked cool on him, and there was a bit of treasure hunt aspect to since you had to various shops and level up your Face.

Plot was pretty good, in parts it was "who the hell are these people" but I think it was generally done pretty well. It had three acts and all that, a bit of variety in the missions aside but with enough "we're gonna throw waves of guys at you to hurt using all the methods at your disposal" stuff which kind of needed to be the point of the gameplay.

Of course, I think there's always going to be a conflict in these sorts of games between the characterisation in the storyline and what the missions actually involve, in which we get the Niko Bellic Problem, wherein he's tired of all this killing poo poo but he keeps doing it anyway. Doubly complicated because the character's an undercover cop who's probably not supposed to spill more blood than strictly necessary, but then reconciling the actions of the player and how to make that accord with their deeper motivations with fitting consequences starts to draw us into the "Games As Art" vortex and poo poo like Dear Esther. Easier for me to file this under as "Games As Popular Entertainment" with a plot that isn't 100% ludicrous, thanks.

From what they've got lined up, the DLC looks like it's going to blow, if they get some mission/storyline DLC lined up I'd probably be interested, but as it is, yeah. If it was fundamental stuff they pulled out of the base game I'd be a bit pissed off but I assume what they're offering is the result of "marketing says we need DLC because that's modern gaming so here's some DLC".

Finally, Tang the sadistic rear end in a top hat with the machete didn't scare me, Mrs Chu scares me.

Anyway, I recommend this game.

It's a good solid urban open-world crime game with plenty of interesting details, there are points you might take issue with but they're not worth sperging out over (like I may just have).

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

gently caress, I live in a LHD country but I've played RHD open-world shooters for so long it took me a while to get used to that.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Tom Wilkinson as Pendrew, should've spotted that. Although that's the first VG role he's done, going from Wikipedia...

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

synertia posted:

True, but beating another player's score is immensely satisfying. I've never 100% any game I've owned (un)fortunately.
For me, I've become obsessed with running over parking meters. Of all the things to measure in a game...

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Isn't it the Shift key if you're using KBAM? (Not sure what the controller equivalent is, sorry.)

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Wei manages to pull a deal to get him out a little further down the track.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Well, it was annoying at first, but they made a first-week patch that fixed it!

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

People say it's better on controller but I found KBAM perfectly adequate, though some of the mappings are different to other open-world games. Probably comes down to your preference, I think.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I was saddened I couldn't take a ride on one of the trams. I felt the same way about the streetcars in GTA:San Andreas.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Wasn't it the roast duck that had the mystical healing powers? Anyway.

Judging on my second playthrough, there doesn't seem much difference between wearing the Lady Killer clothes and not.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Her soup is amongst the best on the island, though. Special recipe.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Once I figured out that you can do that flip if you lock on, I started using it a bit more. Doesn't seem much other point to it, though.

Some of the bystander chat is brilliant. Outside one of the cockfight rings, there's a couple on a date and the guy is all "but I thought you loved animals" while she's yelling at him.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I found some pork buns (the Cantonese style, not the Shanghai variety) at the supermarket freezer cabinet - the bun part is disconcertingly sweet next to the pork but they seem decently filling. I have had them before at a yum cha place a few years back but I'd forgotten what they were like.

Not quite the same as getting them in a street from a vendor that cheerfully challenges my masculinity, of course.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Gangnam Style is funny and all but you might as well be going "why didn't they licence Chacarron".

Doctor Doodler posted:

Every car becomes made of C4 when you jump out of another car and start shooting. I blew up an armored truck with a few shots from a pistol.
Yeah, this is awesome. Thing is I never really had the presence of mind to do this tactically if, for instance, I'm trying to clear out a drug bust area.

Anyway once you've done a few surveillance things it becomes pretty clear who the dealer is, as he's often standing in the middle in a suit while all the other gangsters are mooching around the walls or whatever.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Ghost Pig must be the worst movie.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Rookersh posted:

So yeah, this is so far "Wei and Old Salty Crab fight demons"
Sold.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Listening to music while on foot takes away one of your key senses. :colbert:

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

The Kins posted:

Two new aesthetic DLCs have been announced for your kung-fu Ken doll.

The Sun WuKong Pack gives you a ridiculous looking Monkey King costume which includes an unbreakable staff, a damage boost and a weird "cloud bike".

Sweet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97rorVoOfEc&t=36s

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I only paid $1.24 for that.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Haha that's going to blow some of the story speculation out of the water. I will pick it up of course.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

The Triad Enforcer Pack is probably worth a look at if not being able to max out your Triad levels bugs you,

It adds a couple of activities that can help you get that last little bit of Triad XP. One of those car chase ones (sort of like the cop one that was included with pre-orders) is OK but I liked the "fight club" on the docks which throws endless waves of goons at you, which can be quite enjoyable once you've got most of the upgrade moves.

Wait until a sale though, it's definitely not an essential, but at sale price it adds enough that I reckon it was worth it.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Gameplay-wise, yeah I can see your point. Story-wise, though, the writing was as good as the main game.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Winston :smith:
Winston's mum. :stare:

Narcissus1916 posted:

About the only real disappointment is that there was no resolution between Wei Shen and the triad he worked for. Him being undercover doesn't actually affect the main narrative at all - and i'd love to see how Conrad reacted to the news.
Yeah I guess that may have been one of the things that fell on the cutting room floor. On the flipside the fact that Teng is cool about the whole thing is also a bit odd.

Still, a really well characterised game that I can deal with the plot weirdness (which isn't great in most computer games of this kind anyway).

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Narcissus1916 posted:

There's some actual honest to God subtlety in the writing too, particularly with Wei Shen's background. They never really delve into his life in San Francisco, though there's a hell of a lot of things implied.
Yeah, although if you have a look at the datafiles (accessible on the phone) they flesh that out a bit.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

His fate was better than Smiley Cat's, though.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

That is mostly the case, but I'd say it's worth looking at the Triad Enforcer Pack for a couple of reasons:
- it adds a one-off on-rails pursuit mission where you shoot at cars and pick up Triad XP, which should be sufficient to get you that last level without having to wear specific outfits along the way.
- it also adds an awesome fight club where you fight an endless stream of goons until you die. (Also good for Triad XP)

(There's also a Police Protection pack which includes pretty much the same on-rails mission but you pick up Police XP, however you can max that out just playing the game without too many issues so you can probably give that a miss.)

Wheels of Fury also adds another mission chain which is pretty fun in itself and also nets you a ridiculously specced-up car, so that's probably also worth looking at.

Neither of these break the game, you still have to work to take advantage of them.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Opinions vary; I've only ever used KBAM because I use KBAM on just about everything so I found it fine. If you're used to a controller, use that (except for the shooty parts).

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Video game logic.

Also I think there may be a few HK action flicks like that too.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I love this bit just because he's walking the beat in his constable uniform with all his big-rear end triad tatts on display.

Chortles posted:

Look for one of these the next time you go into Teng's stationhouse or one of the SOY businesses, possibly including Winston's mom's restaurant:

Good ol' Guan Yu.

quote:

. In Hong Kong, a shrine for Guan is located in each police station. Though by no means mandatory, most Chinese policemen worship and pay respect to him. Although seemingly ironic, members of the triads and Heaven and Earth Society worship Guan as well. Statues used by triads tend to hold the halberd in the left hand, and statues in police stations tend to hold the halberd in the right hand. This signifies which side Guan Yu is worshipped, by the righteous people or vice versa. The appearance of Guan Yu's face for the triads is usually more stern and threatening than the usual statue. This exemplifies the Chinese belief that a code of honour, epitomised by Guan Yu, exists even in the criminal underworld.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

*turns up to the restaurant in the pig head*
Conroy: Do I smell pork around here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Hopefully they'll have a go at another story-based game, although the franchise might've gone cold while they were dicking around with this MMO crap.

• Locked thread