Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I got back from seeing it, and I enjoyed it tremendously. To those who say I'm drinking the kool-aid, what can I say? This kool-aid is delicious!

What I liked the most about it besides specific performances was the integration of discovery and horror. This is what makes it different from a rehash of Alien, even if it has a lot of the same plot points. The starship Prometheus is venturing into the unknown, which in old maps had warnings like "here be dragons." And while the characters (Shaw in particular, since she's the sole survivor besides David, who doesn't give a gently caress by design) were scared shitless by what they encountered, in the end Shaw wants to press on in her journey.

Everyone has been heaping praise on Michael Fassbender's performance, but David is more than just a well-acted character. He's the key element that let me get immersed into the movie and not be bothered by all the plot hole people bring up. I'll explain why.

There's a little bit early on where we see David watching Lawrence of Arabia, and he indicates that he really likes that movie. It's also obvious that David looks a hell of a lot like T. Elliot Lawrence did in the movie. This is no accident or a throw-away detail: David is Lawrence. Well metaphhorically, at least. He's a stranger in a strange land, doing his best to blend into a group who's manners and ways of thinking are wildly different from his. But unlike Lawrence of Arabia where Lawrence is the character that the white audience is supposed to relate to, we're watching it in reverse. His behavior is supposed to evoke an uncanny-valley feeling. He watches others people's dreams and sees nothing wrong in doing so. He has no problem with testing dangerous substances on crew member. And he ain't even mad when some dude tears his head off and kills his creator.

Now why is this important? We don't understand how David thinks, but David doesn't understand how humans think. And the best answer the crew can give David is "well, you're a robot." And to make sure no one misses the point, David points out that the Engineers might be operating on totally different thinking process as well. Create intelligent life, then decide to kill it, but rather than do it right away we'll sleep on it until they come to wake us up? Hey, that's just how we roll fuckers!

Now this doesn't excuse every plot hole, and I gotta admit this kool-aid is quite tasty. But that's how I was able to justify when poo poo didn't make sense.

TL;DR: Drink Kool-aid and watch Lawrence of Arabia (seriously, it's an awesome movie.)

Also, 4.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU