Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Heintron posted:

But in a survival situation I can use the rice for food!!!

If Europe has run out of moose, will you want to survive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

denereal visease posted:

Heine I like that the first related video is "Shaving with a mora (does not work)."

So if you guys have been in the General Questions thread, you might know that I'm trying to repurpose a guitar case into a discrete gun case. I scored a Peavey hardshell case for $27 today; no key so I'll be contacting a locksmith on monday to get a few made for it.

Do you guys think I should:

A) Pound the guitar-shape molded styrofoam into submission to hug the 930 better for free

or

B) Spend some more money I don't have & order some custom inserts for around $150 at which point I could've just bought a goddamn case

I went to one of the 2 craft stores in town today and they only stock florist foam

e: ooh ooh what if I get a few sheets of the florist foam, layer it firm-soft then get a sheet of bedcover eggcrate open cell foam to layer on top? I know that one shouldn't store a gun in such a container over the long run, and the 930 will sit in there for about 48-72 hours total during my trip.

e2: doing some quick googling led me here, wherein spray foam is used in conjunction with felt/whatever to mold it to the gun. Drawback being it's specific to the gun.

This was linked to in a thread in AI a while ago, similar idea as your last edit, but no carving involved.
http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=4770.0
to make it more generic you could make up a blank template carved from timber or foam that accommodates more guns.

or line the inside of the case with this sort of foam and make up some mounting clips from timber or something like shapelock/polymorph

echomadman fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 17, 2012

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

These are goin on my shotgun.

Maybe tomorrow

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I've always had the problem that 3D printed stuff is extremely brittle. Hope this is not the case with you.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

It's 4mm thick ABS and brittle ain't one of its problems

(Printing in PLA on the other hand is what all the cool kids use but yeah is light and brittle.)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

3D printing stuff has me really, really excited. If I had time to get rear end deep in yet another hobby where you need to be willing to tinker with poo poo I'd be all over it.

As it stands I'm really, really hoping that sometime in the next five years it gets to the point where a basic unit is priced in the small-appliance end of expensive (say, $200-400) and the whole procedure is streamlined to the point where you can just download a file, feed that into the machine, and get what you want without any intermediate loving around and tweaking.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

You and me both. The babysitting and fiddling is the worst part of it all. I mainly use my printer for custom bits and parts and connectors/mounts that would be a pain in the rear end to make by hand but are nevertheless geometrically "simple" objects and it seems barely worth it sometimes.

Anyway, glue has been applied:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Between the parkerized finish and the surface of the ABS I should get a pretty good bond.

On one hand nothing I have EVER glued with E-6000 glue has ever come apart unintentionally

On the other hand, the receiver can get hot and there will be repeated stress at angles from inserting/removing shotshells.

It's and adventure and/or experiment!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

UPDATE: Last-minute change of position (thankfully glue has not cured completely yet)

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Three guesses as to why!

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

At least you caught it soon enough to unfuck it!

FauxhawkSatan
Mar 27, 2010

Mister Sinewave posted:

Three guesses as to why!

The forearm was hitting the forward most shell holder.

what do I win?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Mister Sinewave posted:

You and me both. The babysitting and fiddling is the worst part of it all. I mainly use my printer for custom bits and parts and connectors/mounts that would be a pain in the rear end to make by hand but are nevertheless geometrically "simple" objects and it seems barely worth it sometimes.

Anyway, glue has been applied:

Can you sell me one of these?

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

What gun is this? The receiver & controls look like an Ithaca 37 to me, but I've never seen one with a left-side action bar (or ghost rings).

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Deviant posted:

Can you sell me one of these?

It's actually two double-holders and not one single unit, but sure if you want one (two actually) it could be arranged. Ships from Canada though. Fire me a pm with your mailing address and I'll let you know how much it'll all be. It's experimental and you're on your own for attachment.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Uncle Caveman posted:

What gun is this? The receiver & controls look like an Ithaca 37 to me, but I've never seen one with a left-side action bar (or ghost rings).

Stevens 350; basically a 37 as far as I know but it has action bar on both sides, and comes in flavors: ghost ring sights like you see here, rifle sights (I think basically a slug gun), and field model with like 28" barrel and a choke of some sort.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Huh, neat. How do you like yours? Googling other forums seems to indicate they are made in China by IAC.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

I like it great so far, only two negative things to say about it really. One is that twice a shell got stuck in the chamber but good and would not extract normally (fixed both times with some fiddling). But then again I haven't cleaned it since it was new and it's been... eh.. 500 or so Federal target loads and a dozen or so slugs so far? I'm cleaning it any day now though, I swear! The other negative is that it only holds a mere 4 in the magazine tube and no aftermarket extensions due to how it is made/works. Dropping one in the chamber only works if you do it just right.

Oh, and I guess that jams can be a pain in the rear end but that only seems to really happen if you gently caress up. Like dropping one in the chamber and DON'T do it just right.

I paid just over two hundred frosty northern dollars for it, partially as just another shotgun to use while skeet blasting with my brother and cousin, and partially as a backup for 3-gun. I think it was a great value.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

This is a little odd but maybe someone has done it before. I was thinking that putting a solenoid on my skeet thrower might let me practice by myself. Have a little foot switch running the ~15 feet over to where I'd be standing and just step on it to have the solenoid kick the release lever.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Parts Kit posted:

This is a little odd but maybe someone has done it before. I was thinking that putting a solenoid on my skeet thrower might let me practice by myself. Have a little foot switch running the ~15 feet over to where I'd be standing and just step on it to have the solenoid kick the release lever.

What kind of thrower do you have? I've done this to several larger models where foot pedals can run a few hundred bucks.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Pvt. Public posted:

What kind of thrower do you have? I've done this to several larger models where foot pedals can run a few hundred bucks.
Should be this one if I'm remembering right. Just a really basic green Do-All.
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=All-Traps-Clayhawk-Full-Cock-Trap&i=400434&aID=503AT&merchID=4006

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Shooting bags- for a small one, the ones most people use as squeeze bags under the toe of the stock, sand sock.
Self explanatory, but fill a long athletic sock (you know you have one going solo right now) fill with sand/rice/aquarium rocks tie the other end and viola!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

"It's better than nothing!"

ammo

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Is there any way that an unpatriotic American could get his hands on those Canadian shells?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

The French Army! posted:

Is there any way that an unpatriotic American could get his hands on those Canadian shells?

Buy the patriot shells and throw away the blue ones?

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

But I want the Canadian ones. It's the closest I'll get to universal healthcare

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

I like turtles posted:

Buy the patriot shells and throw away the blue ones?

And ask Sinewave to send you his empty boxes.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

I have crates of it in my store. Get a PAL and come buy it.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.

Fun Shoe

Perhaps I should have posted it here first and then linked it in the .22 Megathread instead of vice versa, but I forgot about this thread. Anyway, I built a stock and suppressor for a Savage MkII. Look at some pretty pictures in this thread

That's about as homebrew as it's going to get until I get a rifling machine and a lens grinder.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

I made a MOLLE attachment for a holster. No real pics but I used one of these (PUP) molle things intended for knives and other objects. I got the idea from an m4carbine.net archived post Google found when I was searching for MOLLE holster adapters.

I actually had ordered a factory MOLLE adapter for my holster but it needs 3 full rows, my MOLLE belt (and all the others I have seen as well) only have 2 rows. But these fit perfectly:

http://www.bawidamann.com/shop/Shenanigans%20%3E%20%28PUP%29%20Pals%20Universal%20Platforms

A local place happened to carry them so I picked some up. I probably should have gone for the blank one and drilled my own holes, but I made it work anyway.

They are really handy.

Action Jesus
Jun 18, 2002

Forgot about this thread, which I love. I posted this in the pic thread but it belongs here, too. direct mount stubby VFG cut down from a KAC style VFG:

I posted:

I carved a new foregrip...from a bigger foregrip!

Using sandpaper wrapped around my alpha tube I recontoured the inside of a KAC style grip so that it would sit flush and bolt straight to the tube through a vent hole. I chopped the grip down and filled it all with high tensile marine epoxy, then drilled a hole through the center with a much larger countersink for the bolt. I also flattened the sides a bit.

When I purchased and installed the rail, I tried the trick of using a glock magazine extension, like so:

but my mitts are just too large and it just wasn't comfortable. I could have just bolted a rail onto the bottom, but I like the sleek, narrow, uninterrupted feel of the tube.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I was able to salvage a little something from a recent job site.

A 19x14 steel plate of unknown grade, but being an inch thick I think it might be able to take some punishment. Now I just have to figure out how to make a target out of it. Build a stand? Weld some chain onto the top and hang it?

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Grade of the steel can make quite a difference, as well as the caliber/ammunition you're intending to shoot it with.

For instance, here's a an old gear I was shooting with .223 FMJ at ~150 yards.

Now that's only 1/4 inch steel, and FMJ ammo, but still it blasted straight through. And its not like I was using heavy reloads or something, that was just regular Winchester white box.

The little divots/grey splatter? That was .22 hollow points, even they dented the steel.

While that piece is one inch and undoubtedly would take more punishment than whatever this quarter inch gear was made of it may surprise you how much damage it takes. Particularly from a rifle. Handgun would be better.

And personally I'd drill a couple holes in the top corners and hang it with bolts and chain from some kind of frame. Easier to replace bolts and chain that way rather than having to reweld something when you shoot the chain off.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.

Fun Shoe

Even at 1" thick, a rifle is still going to mess that steel up. My .223 went just over 3/8" into a piece of random steel I had hanging up, and there's a 6" hole eaten through the center of the 3/4" thick ram at the 200 yard line of our club's range. So it'll work for a while, but eventually you'll have to replace it. If it's just you and some friends shooting at it, you should get a lot of use out of it.

Like Sedgr said, I'd either run some bolts through the top, or weld studs on the back to hang it from chains. Keep in mind that when the bullets hit, they're going to be exiting the sides, top and bottom in a hurry, so whatever you hang it from has to hold up to that, too. And if you can slant the top forward a bit, it'll help cut down on the possibility of ricochets.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

What is the recommended grade of steel for targets? I can never remember.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

I think 3/8ths AR500 is whats usually suggested for rifle calibers.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Thanks for the tips guys. Looks like this weekend I'll be looking for a drill and bit that can handle this plate. I plan to mostly shoot 223 and 22 at it, I imagine it will last a while. With any luck I'll be able to grab some more, there was a pallet with like a dozen of 'em just sitting abandoned.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Speaking of which:

If you ever see someone unloading cheap weights for whatever reason, the really small plates work great for hanging on a rope and shooting a .22 at. I found one in the grass at the side of the road walking back to an old apartment years ago and I still shoot at it. Being too lazy to get up and look in my closet I'm just going to say it's a 2.5 pound barbell plate.

I imagine it's the cheapest cast iron to ever come out of China and would probably just shatter if shot by anything larger, so it's .22LR only, but drat if it isn't fun to make it spin in circles on the end of its rope.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Homemade stocks'n'stuff are great. Glad to see this thread still gets some traffic, but this will probably always be a low post count thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE

I am going to make some steel targets. I want them to hold up to a shooting club worth of pew pew with rifles.

So I asked for a price for 12mm thick and 600 brinell hardness. That should do the trick. I am thinking 30x30cm up to 300m (and for my .338LM at most ranges should be a nice challenge), also 15x15cm up to 100m.

• Locked thread