Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Tracked down a 12V pull solenoid and so far so good. Now I just need to fabricate a mounting bracket of some sort to attach it to the skeet thrower and work out a little wire connecting the end of the ram to the thrower's release.

If anyone else gets the urge to try this, an intermittent solenoid should be cheaper and it'll be more convenient if you can find one that already has a captured ram and return spring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

DIY story for today - installing an Ultimak sight rail for my Saiga-12, which requires that you redrill and tap the gas block to mount a securing bolt. Naturally the tap is some tiny funky-pitch 4mm thing that needs to be special-ordered, and naturally because it's tiny it snaps off when I have it mostly screwed in. The usual recommendations for dealing with broken taps from machine shop that I recall are trying to work it out with pliers, smoothing it out and trying to drill it, and welding a nut to the top and twisting it out - which, attempted in order, result in me snapping off the rest of the tap above the surface, grinding it flush (but still too hard to drill), and then making a really fantastic little weld that cleanly and permanently attaches it to the gun. And still too hard to drill out.

Anyone got a source on replacement gas blocks?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"

Grimey Drawer

Arrath posted:

I was able to salvage a little something from a recent job site.

A 19x14 steel plate of unknown grade, but being an inch thick I think it might be able to take some punishment. Now I just have to figure out how to make a target out of it. Build a stand? Weld some chain onto the top and hang it?

I suggest welding a piece of pipe across the top, that way what ever rope or chain you hang it with can be run through the pipe which will somewhat protect it from bullet spall or what ever.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Hey Mister Sinewave, tell me about your 3d printer. Can you feed it autocad/whatever files and it figures the rest out? What kind of material does it use to print and how does that relate to the stuff online shops like Shapeways use?

I've got some experience in solid modeling/mechanical design and I'm kind of itching for a toy project. Being able to 3d print something straight out of a .dwg would be fun.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I realized I had a lot of spares for SKSs and went ahead and made this

out of these (and whatever I forgot to take pictures of)

Yugo 59/66 receiver, mismatched 59/66 bolt, Chinese barrel, Chinese Jungle stock, Yugo M59 everything else.

Not really much to say really. It's almost identical to building an FAL except headspacing.
You really can't find numbered locking shoulders anywhere so I guess you'd have to file down your own or maybe file on the bolt? Dunno.
I was lucky and it headspaced just a hair tight on a go gauge with the shoulder that was in the receiver when mated up with a random bolt I pulled out of the box o stuff. Whatever. It works so I went with it.

First time out put about 100 rounds down range and had exactly 0 stoppages. I have no idea how accurate it is as I lost my glasses and "On the colored part of the target at 25 yards" is drat good for me without them.

Mishra
Dec 12, 2007

Parts Kit posted:

Tracked down a 12V pull solenoid and so far so good. Now I just need to fabricate a mounting bracket of some sort to attach it to the skeet thrower and work out a little wire connecting the end of the ram to the thrower's release.

If anyone else gets the urge to try this, an intermittent solenoid should be cheaper and it'll be more convenient if you can find one that already has a captured ram and return spring.
If you send me measurements and drawings I migt be able to knock one out on the mill out of aluminum

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

That owns. You're the only guy I know who has actually built an SKS.

Spare parts guns are the best guns.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Mishra posted:

If you send me measurements and drawings I migt be able to knock one out on the mill out of aluminum
Thanks, I will let you know. My current plan is just to make a L bracket with some sheet steel and a bending brake I have lying around.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Cyrano4747 posted:

That owns. You're the only guy I know who has actually built an SKS.

Spare parts guns are the best guns.

I hope I can do something like that one day. Just sit around in the shop and start fiddling with stuff, have a moment of realization as parts start coming together, then end up with a completed, working gun. Kinda like OJ's scene in Naked Gun.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

QuarkMartial posted:

I hope I can do something like that one day. Just sit around in the shop and start fiddling with stuff, have a moment of realization as parts start coming together, then end up with a completed, working gun. Kinda like OJ's scene in Naked Gun.

"Honey, have you seen my hairdryer?"

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

"Honey, have you seen my hairdryer?"

You laugh, but...

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

So seeing as there's no way to restore the gun to a working state with the loving tap in there and I can't really make things worse than they are already I've opted to see how much worse I can make it keep on going and see what else I can do. Suggestions for anything that doesn't involve potentially dicking up the rest of the gun welcome

See that little silver depression there? That is the enemy. It has thus far resisted cobalt steel drills, miscellaneous oxyacetylene persuasion (I still haven't even melted any of it apparently), punches, and cursing.

I'd be perfectly happy to leave the little fucker in there and work out an alternate means of mounting except it's also doing this:

preventing the reinstallation of the gas plug until it's removed.

Fortunately that section of the block isn't a stressed part, only has the one working surface, and doesn't need to really do much of anything but hold the gas plug in securely. Not that I want to test the theory, but I could probably lop that entire forward top quarter off without affecting the gun's performance at all, so long as I left enough threading for the plug to do its job. Current plan for tomorrow unless I come across a better one is to try and cut a slot through it from the front with an angle grinder and then refill and redrill the hole. It does grind (slowly), and shouldn't destroy all that much of the surrounding material. Let's see how I gently caress that up!

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 8, 2012

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Ninja Rope posted:

Hey Mister Sinewave, tell me about your 3d printer. Can you feed it autocad/whatever files and it figures the rest out? What kind of material does it use to print and how does that relate to the stuff online shops like Shapeways use?

I've got some experience in solid modeling/mechanical design and I'm kind of itching for a toy project. Being able to 3d print something straight out of a .dwg would be fun.

I have an older-gen Makerbot Cupcake (so-named because it can print object up to about the size of a cupcake, i.e. not very big).

e: It was hosed up earlier but I think I have it up again. I have spent a fair amount of time repairing, etc.

You feed it .stl files which you probably know much more about than I if you know what autocad even is. I use Google Sketchup which is all what-you-see-is-what-you-get and a plugin to convert to .stl.

It prints in ABS which is the same stuff as plumbing pipes at the hardware store. It prints one layer at a time from the bottom up. The software slices the object into slices horizontally then the printer uses what is basically a squirt nozzle shooting molten ABS to print the slices in molten ABS from the bottom-up.

This results in a model with "print lines" on it which can give the illusion of being low-res.

Shapeways does not have a comparable material that I know of, but their printers are capable of much more and finer detail. I have used Shapeways many times for things that my printer just doesn't hack or for materials other than ABS.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 8, 2012

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

BTW in my experience the sweet spot is being able to crank out a geometrically simple object that would nevertheless be a total pain in the rear end to make by hand.

For example, a bracket or arm or spacer or whatever.

Also as you probably saw I whipped up and printed out shotshell holders. Good example of an object that is geometrically simple yet would be all shades of horrible to try to make by hand.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

3d printers are neat but can require a fair bit of tinkering. My buddies is always breaking. He mainly uses his to rapid prototype RC Plane parts before having them milled from aluminum, also buttplugs. So I guess they have a wide variety of uses.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

MIght this actually be a proper moment for the use of a certain rotary hand tool? Why not put on a small grinding head and just grind that fucker flush with the inside of the tube there and call it good?

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.

Fun Shoe

Or a carbide drill bit. Not a masonry bit with the carbide brazed on the end, but a solid carbide bit made for drilling hard steel. Pick a size smaller than the threads, drill through the center, then pick the remaining pieces out of the internal threads. Of course, at this point, that might not be worth the cost of the bit.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Or some good hand files, a case of beer, and a long evening.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Cyrano4747 posted:

MIght this actually be a proper moment for the use of a certain rotary hand tool? Why not put on a small grinding head and just grind that fucker flush with the inside of the tube there and call it good?

That might work; main problem is there's no way I can fit the Saiga lengthwise in my drill press and I'd be concerned with loving up the lower threading freehanding it. I'll give it a look.

Also the remote possibility I can still reuse the hole (maybe even the threading) if I just use the angle grinder to destroy most of the tap and pick the rest out.

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 8, 2012

Mishra
Dec 12, 2007

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

That might work; main problem is there's no way I can fit the Saiga lengthwise in my drill press and I'd be concerned with loving up the lower threading freehanding it. I'll give it a look.

Also the remote possibility I can still reuse the hole (maybe even the threading) if I just use the angle grinder to destroy most of the tap and pick the rest out.

Anyone you know have access to a lathe?

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Were you keeping the tap oiled as you used it? The normal procedure is to work it in a full turn, back it out 1/4 turn, and oil it.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

All better!

Used the angle grinder to gouge out enough of the tap to remove the rest and refilled the hole, then ground it into shape, cleaned it up a bit, and started over again with the repaired remains of the tap. So, minus a day for what should've taken an hour, and a few bucks of tooling, but I got a proper hole and only lost a little patch of gasplug threading. The final product minus some cleaning and paint:

It worked out pretty well.

I might need a longer bolt eventually, the original is very short and it's got to reach a little farther now to catch threading than it would have originally, but we'll see how this one lasts.

Mad Dragon posted:

Were you keeping the tap oiled as you used it? The normal procedure is to work it in a full turn, back it out 1/4 turn, and oil it.

Yep. At that size it really doesn't take much for 'em to break, first time I did it in a slightly funny position and I think I just gave it a twist at the wrong angle and off it came. It's not totally unpredictable and usually not a big deal but this one snapped in exactly the worst place and then I comprehensively hosed up the removal process.

You better believe I oiled the gently caress out of it and had everything clamped down tight the second time around. Probably helped that I was torquing on about half as much tap, too.

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 9, 2012

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

Arrath posted:

I was able to salvage a little something from a recent job site.

A 19x14 steel plate of unknown grade, but being an inch thick I think it might be able to take some punishment. Now I just have to figure out how to make a target out of it. Build a stand? Weld some chain onto the top and hang it?

You may want to get some hardfacing welding rod and run that all over the front with an arc-welder. I don't know how much it will help, but this is one way to find out.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Mad Dragon posted:

There's probably a million different ways to do this but here's how it was explained to me from a tool and die maker.

Forward 1/X (number of flutes) plus about ~50% of that amount

so a 4 fluted tap would be 1/4 turn plus about 1/8 turn

Back 1/X

repeat

so 3 fluted tap would be 1/3 plus 1/6... ect..

logic behind that is the more flutes a tap has the less chip clearance exists. And the chips are what break the tap. (barring moments)

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.

Grimey Drawer

Figured out a way to keep the guns that are too short organized in my safe. A $.99 package of 3/16" dowels from the hobby section at Wal-Mart and some electrical tape I had laying around:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

That's actually pretty loving clever. I just phoned my dad to tell him that idea and his exact words were " [long pause] . . . well goddamn, why didn't I think of that?"

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

It *is* clever

Actually I just got a great idea for a gunshow table. It's a display of Tips and Tricks but only in "Show, Don't Tell" photo form. Picture a gunshow table with a bunch of stuff like this as a display:

Well OK those are my only two examples offhand but you get the idea.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

I think that table is still going to get harassed by a lot of people who don't "get it"

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Set up next to a good jerky table and all sins will be forgiven.

Or just accept it because you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Mister Sinewave posted:

It *is* clever

Actually I just got a great idea for a gunshow table. It's a display of Tips and Tricks but only in "Show, Don't Tell" photo form. Picture a gunshow table with a bunch of stuff like this as a display:

Well OK those are my only two examples offhand but you get the idea.

gently caress that, set up a table selling "Carbine Safe Organizer Rods: Made from Genuine American Oak" for $12 a piece

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

I worked in an antique arms auction house, that's what we did so we could have jezails and coach blunderbusses on the same rack.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

gently caress that, set up a table selling "Carbine Safe Organizer Rods: Made from Genuine American Oak" for $12 a piece

That could make horrific amounts of money. Put orange tips on the top end, put felt on the in-barrel end "to protect your investment" or some nonsense.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Mister Sinewave posted:

Set up next to a good jerky table and all sins will be forgiven.

Or just accept it because you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. drown them.

CAT ON THE COUCH!!
Mar 30, 2009

Hark!! Yonder goon hast defamed a lady!! Fear not, CoTC to the rescue!!

lol ponytar

Has anyone tried loading 9x39? Ever?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

You guys have really never been to a gun store that does that thing with the dowels?

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

CAT ON THE COUCH!! posted:

Has anyone tried loading 9x39? Ever?

Tried no but whenever I get a rifle capible of being chambered in one I'm going to be working on it. (probably making my own dies at the same time)

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Has anyone tried to 3d print an AR-15 lower? It should hold up pretty well for 22lr at least, especially if you reinforce some areas. It would probably still need a pass through a drill press too, to make actually round holes, but it seems possible.

Apparently a lower is ~5.6 cubic inches of material, which equates to around $180 if online shop material pricing is realistic, not that I'd use an online shop, so maybe it's doable but not cost effective?

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

It should be technically possible but it costs immensely more for an immensely worse final product; why would you?

Go carve a lower out of dried-hard gourmet cheese or something instead

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

Ninja Rope posted:

Has anyone tried to 3d print an AR-15 lower? It should hold up pretty well for 22lr at least, especially if you reinforce some areas. It would probably still need a pass through a drill press too, to make actually round holes, but it seems possible.

Apparently a lower is ~5.6 cubic inches of material, which equates to around $180 if online shop material pricing is realistic, not that I'd use an online shop, so maybe it's doable but not cost effective?

yes, and there are posted plans to do so. it has been done many times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT ON THE COUCH!!
Mar 30, 2009

Hark!! Yonder goon hast defamed a lady!! Fear not, CoTC to the rescue!!

lol ponytar

Print, putty it smooth, make a mold and either injection polymer or cast it. Bonus you have the mold and can do it again and again.

MY QUESTION:

Will brake cleaner blast off Evaporust? I'm going to use it to strip parkerizing, but I don't want to paint on top of what it leaves behind.

• Locked thread