Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you

Butch Cassidy posted:

Is it an XO-whatever? Trim lugged steel is just the best

XT 1x?

At least I chuckled knowing that bike is worth 10x what the lovely Mossberg is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

The front sight on my Vektor SP1 (South African Beretta 92 clone, not the drop test one) is way too low. Since the zefs didn't copy the front sight of the 92 as well, but some slightly weird fitting where the front sight post is set with a pin in a lenghtwise stepped milling, I had to make one myself. So I cut out a piece of a spindle I'd replaced on my car with a hacksaw and got to work. Still not perfectly fitted, but getting there. The plan is to find a reasonably fast load that also shoots good, bring a file to the range, and take off about a quarter of a mm or so until I get a rolling sight on 25m, hopefully I'll get to a centered PoA on 50 meters.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

So myself and a friend are contemplating making some leather molle gear.

We're debating on doing it one of two ways. Either as one off wet molds OR I take the time and machine some HDPE molds so we could actually do small scale production runs of them.

Any thoughts or anyone interested in them if we do wind up doing some small runs?

Right now we're looking at making a few single AR mag pouches. (possibly a double mag pouch) and a double P90 mag pouch. Although we're open to ideas if anyone really has an interest in a specific pouch.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

that's boss as hell

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

What do you do when your steak rub calls for a shitton of coarse ground black pepper? Do you sit there, ham-fistedly cranking that thing like some sort of goddamned Luddite?

Of course you don't

Uncle Caveman fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 20, 2016

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Uncle Caveman posted:

What do you do when your steak rub calls for a shitton of coarse ground black pepper? Do you sit there, ham-fistedly cranking that thing like some sort of goddamned Luddite?

Of course you don't

I use a lovely electric coffee grinder for this purpose. I clearly need to upgrade.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Uncle Caveman posted:

Of course you don't

Yeah, but did you apply it correctly like the ChickenNCheese?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I lay the peppercorns between kitchen rags and go to town with a heavy saucepan for a few swings.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

i have a mortar and pestle, what kind of fancy pants citified yuppie uses a grinder, I bet you have an iphone app to tell you how many times to twist too

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Miso Beno posted:

I clearly need to upgrade.

e:

Uncle Caveman fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 21, 2016

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Alton Brown has the same sort of rig (and also is apparently a gun nut).

I used to do that, but then the (cheap, plastic) grinder broke, so as a stopgap I figured out how to open and refill the McCormick grinder bottle. Eventually I'll remember when I'm in the town with the fancy kitchen outlet store and get a good one.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Oh hey I have one of those presses too. Maybe I should make this upgrade later on.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

drat dado cuts.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Was the graphic printed on wax paper?

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

Butch Cassidy posted:

Was the graphic printed on wax paper?
piece of walnut, cheap (ie thin) printer paper, laser printer, photo transfer medium, lots of rubbing, phosphorescent paint.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

It looks waxier than it is due to lighting and I had just put a fresh coat of sealer on it. If you don't mind the rubbing process which takes multiple passes and having to go slow to not scratch up the transferred image it is actually easy. Your kids might like it. You can do stuff like this along with a million other things. The rubbing gets you though so keep the pieces small in size.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

An alternative you could use is a transfer paper like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Generic-100PC...sr_1_16&sr=8-16

The toner only kind of sticks to it and then you can warm it up with a clothes iron to get it to stick to something else. That's what I did with my PCB pattern for the altoids tin light (which works great but I've misplaced it so I can't photograph it).

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

No arbor press for setting eyelets? No problem.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

KG Gunkote smells terrible while oven curing. The whole floor of my apartment smells like hot chemical farts. Sorry floor bros.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

This isn't anything yet but I 3d printed a P-08 grip prototype. Turned out OK. The diamond grip pattern is though

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black is NOT meant to be dumped all over a stripped and polished 10/22 receiver in a quart size freezer bag. Unless of course you like the smell of egg farts.

I have a 10/22 receiver that I stripped down a while ago, and never really came up with something good to do with it, so I've just left it stripped and roughed up for painting with some color to be decided in the future. Recently, I figured why not give it a chemical finish, like Aluminum Black, and go from there? I searched on line and saw that it gets decent results if you properly prep the metal, but couldn't find anyone who had done the whole thing with it, but I also couldn't find anyone saying NOT to do it. So why not?

I'd previously stripped the receiver, so I figured I'd polish it up. Started with 150 then 220 grit sandpaper, then 300 and 600 grit wet/dry sand paper with oil on it. Then some jeweler's rouge on a dremel polishing puck, then jeweler's rouge on a paper towel by hand, then Flitz by hand. I though it looked decent, but you could still see some minor scratches in it. But whatever, this is an experiment!

Degreased it with non-chlorinated brake cleaner, then washed it with soap and hot water, left it in the sun to dry. Looked pretty good! After it dried, I dropped it into a quart size freezer bag, put that in a gallon size freezer bag, just in case it ate through the quart size bag. Dumped the Aluminum black into the quart size bag and sealed it up. Instructions say to wipe it on with a saturated cotton swab, and let it sit for a minute, then wash with cold water and oil it. The fluid in the bag started bubbling and hissing, letting off some gas, and creating a LOT of heat. I opened the bag a bit to let it vent, and filled the gallon bag with cold water, to keep the chemicals from melting through. I let it run for about a minute, but man, that was a concerning and STINKY minute. It puts off a really sulfurous smell, and it's just nasty.

After letting it go for a minute, I filled the quart bag with cold water, and just let the cold water run, diluting the chemicals and letting them run down the sink, letting LOTS of water go down with it. Then rinsed off the receiver. What was originally a nice silver, smooth finish is now a rough black splotchy finish. Some of the black didn't stay attached while rinsing it off. I kept rinsing it, and washed it off with some dish soap, and rinsed it off. Then put it back in the window to dry.

Going back to it a few minutes later, some of the finish in the screw holes were brown, and some of the ridges inside the receiver were brown. I'm assuming that was left over paint or Loctite reacting with the chemicals. And it still was stinking like egg farts. So I took it out into the garage, sprayed it down with non-chlorinated brake cleaner, which seemed to get off all the brown. Dried it with a shop rag, dropped it into a quart freezer bag full of oil. At least I can't smell it through the oil, and out in the garage.

In a bit, I'll pull it out of the oil, let it drain off, then wipe it down, and see if it's salvageable. Maybe I'll just have it bead blasted and ceracoated.

Action Jesus
Jun 18, 2002

Wa11y posted:

Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black is NOT meant to be dumped all over a stripped and polished 10/22 receiver in a quart size freezer bag. Unless of course you like the smell of egg farts.

I have a 10/22 receiver that I stripped down a while ago, and never really came up with something good to do with it, so I've just left it stripped and roughed up for painting with some color to be decided in the future. Recently, I figured why not give it a chemical finish, like Aluminum Black, and go from there? I searched on line and saw that it gets decent results if you properly prep the metal, but couldn't find anyone who had done the whole thing with it, but I also couldn't find anyone saying NOT to do it. So why not?

I'd previously stripped the receiver, so I figured I'd polish it up. Started with 150 then 220 grit sandpaper, then 300 and 600 grit wet/dry sand paper with oil on it. Then some jeweler's rouge on a dremel polishing puck, then jeweler's rouge on a paper towel by hand, then Flitz by hand. I though it looked decent, but you could still see some minor scratches in it. But whatever, this is an experiment!

Degreased it with non-chlorinated brake cleaner, then washed it with soap and hot water, left it in the sun to dry. Looked pretty good! After it dried, I dropped it into a quart size freezer bag, put that in a gallon size freezer bag, just in case it ate through the quart size bag. Dumped the Aluminum black into the quart size bag and sealed it up. Instructions say to wipe it on with a saturated cotton swab, and let it sit for a minute, then wash with cold water and oil it. The fluid in the bag started bubbling and hissing, letting off some gas, and creating a LOT of heat. I opened the bag a bit to let it vent, and filled the gallon bag with cold water, to keep the chemicals from melting through. I let it run for about a minute, but man, that was a concerning and STINKY minute. It puts off a really sulfurous smell, and it's just nasty.

After letting it go for a minute, I filled the quart bag with cold water, and just let the cold water run, diluting the chemicals and letting them run down the sink, letting LOTS of water go down with it. Then rinsed off the receiver. What was originally a nice silver, smooth finish is now a rough black splotchy finish. Some of the black didn't stay attached while rinsing it off. I kept rinsing it, and washed it off with some dish soap, and rinsed it off. Then put it back in the window to dry.

Going back to it a few minutes later, some of the finish in the screw holes were brown, and some of the ridges inside the receiver were brown. I'm assuming that was left over paint or Loctite reacting with the chemicals. And it still was stinking like egg farts. So I took it out into the garage, sprayed it down with non-chlorinated brake cleaner, which seemed to get off all the brown. Dried it with a shop rag, dropped it into a quart freezer bag full of oil. At least I can't smell it through the oil, and out in the garage.

In a bit, I'll pull it out of the oil, let it drain off, then wipe it down, and see if it's salvageable. Maybe I'll just have it bead blasted and ceracoated.

Yeah aluminum black is dogshit in my experience and it's apparently a horrible deadly caustic chemical to boot. I think it has a shelf life, too, I tried to use the bottle I've had (for about 3 years) on a part a few months ago and absolutely nothing happened. Being set up to do sand blasting and cerakoting is just the best, I've done both the bake on and air-cure Cerakote now in my little shop and at this point it's pretty much my go-to metal finish (until someday when I get a parkerizing setup like my hero Fang)

I am also a reasonably decent fan of both Alumahyde II and Brownell's Teflon Moly, the latter being bake on. Both give pretty respectable results for a rattle can finish if that fits your needs, I think the only other reasonable alternative for aluminum is Anodization (which *can* be done at home)

Action Jesus fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 23, 2016

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

From today's "Do as I say, not as I do" file:

Just because you HAVE a welder does not mean you ARE a welder.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

Could be worse, my gunsmith threw this horror up on his instagram not too long ago:

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

ThinkFear posted:

Could be worse, my gunsmith threw this horror up on his instagram not too long ago:

Holy poo poo. At least I know to stop once I gently caress up.

Edit: Maybe it'd be more correct to say, "at least I know that I hosed up."

Wa11y fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 22, 2016

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

holy poo poo Im a bad welder and that last one is baaaaaaaaaad.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Miso Beno posted:

holy poo poo Im a bad welder and that last one is baaaaaaaaaad.

I've never welded in my life and I think I could do better than that.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

eh nothing an angle grinder won't fix

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

If your last though before you strike your arc is "I shouldn't need my hood for this," you get your loving hood and you put it on before you strike an arc!

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

eh nothing an angle grinder won't fix

"A grinder and paint makes me the welder i aint"

Tony Doughnuts
Aug 12, 2016

There are, in fact, still motherfuckers who gotta ice skate up hill

clam ache posted:

"A grinder and paint makes me the welder i aint"

beat me to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fUAHkUfTps

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

from someone who's learned both the "try as you go" and formally he's generally right (there's some things I don't completely agree with but probably just difference of opinion.)

Tony Doughnuts
Aug 12, 2016

There are, in fact, still motherfuckers who gotta ice skate up hill

shalafi4 posted:

from someone who's learned both the "try as you go" and formally he's generally right (there's some things I don't completely agree with but probably just difference of opinion.)

such as? genuinely curious

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

Tony Doughnuts posted:

such as? genuinely curious

Mainly the "don't start with a MIG" you really don't learn anything with it. It's jokingly called a metal hot glue gun to welding engineers for a reason.

Some of his parallels he draws between stick and TIG I don't agree with. For a broad overview yea learn stick first then apply what you learned to TIG. If you're learning proper TIG about the only thing from stick that translates is the arc length~heat input relation.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My sole partiality is to that delectable spiced meat. Any additional confederation of vegetables shall not compromise the pie as I see it.

I do favor a mig if you're not needing to be A Welder and instead occasionally have to goober metal together in a non-pretty manner with a minimum of time investment.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Javid posted:

I do favor a mig if you're not needing to be A Welder and instead occasionally have to goober metal together in a non-pretty manner with a minimum of time investment.

That describes mig welding perfectly. Says the mechanic who only uses it to fix broken bolts and get Ford exhaust studs out.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you

We still stick weld a lot in heavy industry and use a lot more oxyacetylene torches than plasma cutters despite what they told me in engineering school that those practices were dead.

I do think everyone who wants to learn welding should get a stick welder because if nothing else you can get one off Craigslist for $50 and a years supply of electrodes for $6. If you can run a cheap stock welder you can run almost any mig or nicer stick machine.

If I had a garage it would be really hard to not have a tig/stick setup especially now that there are sub $1k machines that work just fine. Cover fine and large welding in one place. Flux core is handy, though I think flux core slag clean up sucks a lot more than stick welding chipping. Ultimately what you want to do determines the type of machine to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My sole partiality is to that delectable spiced meat. Any additional confederation of vegetables shall not compromise the pie as I see it.

With all that said, the guy my gunsmith hooked me up with for welding on barrels is a goddamned maestro with a wire feed machine so it's not like the process can't produce clean and strong results.

• Locked thread