Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Phone posted:

I’d be interested in what you have to say about the k24 swap issues

I’m looking to get back into things and I’m idly looking at NCs and ZZWs… I have some apprehension about the MR2 because it’s struts on all 4 corners…

Sorry, by they I meant KPower, not K swaps specifically. They marketed the kit as turn key track ready, to which I call BS. I've never really written all of this out so it'll more or less be a jumble of issues I've worked through over the last two years.

My kit was supposed to arrive in a month, it took three after I hounded them via email and calls, the wrong water neck was included with the kit. I ended up having to drill out one of the motor mounts since it was welded together incorrectly.

The base map they send is a copy paste from their KMiata kit, everything references the cable throttle position while the BRZ kit uses drive by wire. Not a huge deal since I had zero intention of using the base map except to get to my tuner, but there are a surprisingly large number of people running the base map as-is on finished cars.

An aluminum one piece driveshaft comes with the kit but there is grinding noise on decel and vibration above 80mph, I ended up having my OEM two piece driveshaft shortened. KPower says they've found a new driveshaft supplier and this won't be an issue anymore, who knows.

Oil temperatures would be stable and then climb with revs to 280f+. KPower told me they'd never seen the issue before, which led me down a rabbit hole of pinning out the entire harness, realizing that they grounded the oil temperature sensor to regular ground instead of sensor ground, and cutting up my harness to fix the issue. KPower silently incorporated my fix into the harnesses sold after late 2022. I've also had a couple of miscrimped pins come out of various connectors and the wiring harness has some new abrasion rub through spot every time I look at it.

The Sachs pressure plate / clutch disk kit they sold started blowing up on track cars from suspected vibration issues, they silently removed the option from the website and started selling OEM Exedy pressure plates and clutch disks. I called them to ask about the pressure plate issues and told me they hadn't heard of anything then asked me why to which I explained the issue of the pressure plate straps cracking, and they said they'd heard of it happening a few times. When I blew up my built transmission I ended up throwing the Sachs in the trash and putting an Exedy in, which I eventually exploded after an over rev earlier this year. Pressure plates coming apart isn't super rare in heavily tracked K24 RWD swaps with aluminum flywheels or an over rev.

KPower eventually sold a relay kit so that the fuel pump wasn't running whenever the car was in ACC mode, so I ordered the kit. It didn't work in my car so I started tracking the issue down, eventually I traced it to the board that adapts the Haltech harness to the OEM BRZ ECU plugs. While troubleshooting this I realized one of the people I'd talked to a fair bit when trying to figure out the oil temperature issue was actually the guy that designed the adapter boards for KPower. They'd failed to place a trace between any unused ECU outputs and the OEM harness in the first revision of the adapter board, but had lost track of the revision history somehow. I called KPower to explain the issue and was basically told I didn't know what I was talking about so I ended up posting the fix on the FB group and the FT86Club KSwap thread. KPower eventually offered replacement boards for those affected at cost... except I never heard from them about it again.

The waterneck sold by KPower was tapped with the incorrect thread pitch but it wasn't obvious that the supplied hose adapter was misthreading. I figured this out a few months ago and had to pay for a replacement at full cost, the new one was also threaded wrong so I called, explained the issue, and they overnighted me a new one. Apparently it'd been tapped wrong since the kit was released in late 2021-ish until September 2023-ish.

The intake manifold sold by KPower has an RBB throttle body flange, so an adapter is used to convert it to the BRZ style DBW throttle body. KPower used rubber gaskets between the TB, adapter, and manifold so the throttle body is allowed to vibrate back and forth enough to sheer the throttle body bolts over time. The bolts included with the kit will last a handful of trackdays at best, if you use Amazon bolts they'll last a few sessions. KPower is trying to sell some 3d printed adapter saying it solves the issue, who knows.

KPower also sells a throttle body adapter for the Bosch 74mm throttle body with rubber gaskets, except the way they designed the adapter there is only .5mm of rubber gasket between the throttle body and adapter in two spots. This one also breaks bolts and pretty much always leaks. The next issue is that the throttle body vibrates so bad that the internal TPS feet wear through the carbon traces in an event or two and start causing DBW errors and then plastic gears that drive the TB strip out from hunting at WOT. I went through a couple of Bosch TBs in a few months.

I ended up testing a throttle body adapter made by Emile of Winning Formula, it is basically a rubber gasket, adapter to RBB flange on one side, a silicone coupler, rubber gasket, and an adapter to the Bosch throttle body flange. It ended up not sealing right away since he decided to use pipe and weld flanges on either side so my friend ended up sketching flanges up in Fusion 360, I printed a set, ran the car on them, and sent the idea to Emile as well as another adapter I'd tried that used rubber o-rings to seal the flanges instead of rubber gaskets. To Emile's credit, he ended up taking the design, had it CNC'd out of aluminum, sent my friend and I each a set to try, and is now selling them through ASM. https://www.shopasmotorsports.com/wf-vibration-solution-dbw-adapter-kit-kpower-to-bosch

The KPower shift fork from the OEM shifter to the transmission is similar to the usual UUC BMW shift rod, except they didn't really understand the issue being solved by UUC. It is designed in a way that puts all of the shifting load on both sides through steel pins into the aluminum shift rod. The holes wallow out and you get a bunch of slop in the shifter, unfortunately I didn't realize what was going on until I money shifted a motor and exploded a pressure plate a few months ago. I called to explain the issue and they said they'd heard of it happening and would consider updating the design in the future, but I was stuck buying a new one for full price.

The KPower headers are extremely prone to cracking, fortunately ASM is working on one that I plan on testing. They're also super close to the floor so my passenger floor area paint / seam sealer is burned off both inside and outside.

I'm sure there is some other poo poo I've missed, it just feels like I spent $10k on their swap kit to end up developing fixes for poo poo they failed at engineering in the first place. Their communication is terrible and the public groups are full of nut riders that receive special treatment and financial support in some cases or are Instagram builds looking for praise so nothing gets called out.

I've helped out a half dozen other people with their swaps and I've got mine pretty dialed at this point so it has felt fairly rewarding in those respects, but it is still pretty painful overall.

FatCow posted:

Buy your NA back.

Funny story, that one, it ended up on Reddit last year after punting a BMW factory built race car in its first race with the new owner. I'm not sure what has become of it now.

I put Xidas in the BRZ in August-ish, 949 Emilio has been great to work with as I've gotten the new setup sorted out.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
edit: meant to edit.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

:stare: It sounds like KPower should have you on the payroll for doing a poo poo ton of R&D and track testing. That is a LOT of fixes and dumb problems to get through.

That said congratulations on another great year and a very nice set of track records.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sebring:

https://i.imgur.com/07u7Fhf.mp4

itshappening.gif

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

https://i.imgur.com/OpqKqq5.mp4

Day One of the NYE Sebring ChampCar endurance race successfully(-ish) completed. This car doesn't have a lot of power because we kept the stock 5M engine and put all our points into braking/suspension/aero. But the result is that this thing is a braking monster. I can be arm-deep in a corner like the hairpin (turn 7) and be out again and moving while everyone else is having a raccoon fight on the outside edge. We can't pass many people but it does happen, some day-long rivalries being very satisfying to shoot them down finally.

The exhaust keeps falling off so we need to re-rig it early in the morning, but other than that it's tight as a drum. Best looking car on the grid by far too lol, people kept coming by to gawk at it

It took a lot of work and several false starts to get here (the previous ChampCar race at Atlanta Motorsports Park was cut short because the boom-tube-style exhaust we did for max airflow also caused max sound, and AMP has a decibel limit, hence the hasty and inadequate rerouting of the exhaust for this; and the summer's earlier Sebring race we just weren't ready in time for); but our team is well and truly invested now and we want more

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

BlackMK4 posted:

After spending a lot of time and money to sort the issues with the so called track ready KPower BRZ swap kit it is my general opinion that they are to be avoided. I haven't posted much detail about the car on SA much over the past couple years but it has been a journey.

A NC sounds like a great option for a K. Seems the fenders can swallow a 17x10 pretty easily too :)

That and since they ran them in World Challenge and some other pro feeder classes, what it's needed to make them pretty bulletproof on track is well documented (it's not much) Oh, and Mazda Motorsports paid Penske to develop a shock package including track and shaker testing, so it's off the shelf in, IIRC, non-adjustable, single, or doubles. And Mazda has contingency dollars and racer support.

Oh and the ABS handles Hoosier R7s. :getin:

edit: That's a loving criminal amount of issues for what KPower are charging though, ugh. If I were doing a second NC I'd raid Esslinger's Duratec parts bin as I feel like a lightly built Duratec wouldn't be far off a lightly built K but... I get the appeal of not having to open the engine.

mekilljoydammit fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 31, 2023

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

The only weak spot on them is the Aisin transmission in the NC1 (So try and get an NC2 for the Mazda designed and manufactured box. Or budget for swapping said box.)

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

McTinkerson posted:

The only weak spot on them is the Aisin transmission in the NC1 (So try and get an NC2 for the Mazda designed and manufactured box. Or budget for swapping said box.)

NC1s had the Mazda box too, only the RX-8s had the Aisin box. There were a couple internal improvements to the NC2 trans, but Mazda has a kit.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

mekilljoydammit posted:

NC1s had the Mazda box too, only the RX-8s had the Aisin box. There were a couple internal improvements to the NC2 trans, but Mazda has a kit.
I stand corrected.
Was it the NB2 that got the AZ6?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

McTinkerson posted:

I stand corrected.
Was it the NB2 that got the AZ6?

Yeah, I think it was just a "some trim levels" thing. Weirdly there's a bunch of little things different; smaller shafts than the RX-8/BRZ one. I only have a few parts off of an NB one.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

NitroSpazzz posted:

:stare: It sounds like KPower should have you on the payroll for doing a poo poo ton of R&D and track testing. That is a LOT of fixes and dumb problems to get through.

That said congratulations on another great year and a very nice set of track records.

Thank you :) Hopefully nothing new crops up this year :lol:

Killjoy and McTinkerson set me down the NC rabbit hole, more reading to be done there :) I'd been following the 949 one and was hoping to see it rip, hopefully they get a new motor in it soon.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I'm bummed about the kswap being problem after problem.

How are the xidas? I read the whole blub build and they seem to be the best option for the platform.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
With all of the damping out they ride better than stock even with 500lb/600lb springs, I probably wouldn't be able to tell them apart from the two way JRZ RS Pros that were on the car when I bought it and I think that is like a $7k setup all in.

They're worlds better ride quality wise and over curbs than the Shaftworks 1 ways I had on it for a bit and the ProParts STX 1 ways I had on my Hyperblue car.

All three of the coilovers I've run on this chassis except the Xidas got the endlink geometry wrong and lead to digging the end link into the chassis, contact between the bottom of the strut and the endlink body, limited camber (I run -5 up front), and/or binding with steering angle and causing the electronic power steering to cut out for hitting the 8nm torque limit.

I will say that the original front shock length spec'd was WAY too long and after fixing that by adjusting the knuckle flange it was pretty transformative - car was basically on the front bump stops everywhere prior. One of the mental hurdles I've been working on getting over is that the car is pretty much neutral all the time with zero drama or harshness, I've generally associated the car being a handful in the right way as being quick whereas now there is only really drama when I got something way wrong.

That said, the previous owner of my Hyperblue is probably going to be selling his street spring rate set of Xidas, if you were interested. The valving is the same between the two so you can just swap springs if you want, I think they've only got a couple thousand miles on them or something. He is going through the kid = no free time thing now.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 2, 2024

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
that review of the ft86 xidas solidifies my thought that I don’t want to deal with a platform that doesn’t have xidas available

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I'd be interested for sure.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

BTW I didn't get video of this in time but just play along

Midway through the Saturday race, I saw there was a USPS truck heading through the infield parallel to the front straight, I guess there are delivery addresses out there at various onsite businesses.

Turned to my teammate and was like "Wow, he's hauling the mail"

e: also one of the teams had dickbutt as their logo

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 2, 2024

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
Two questions:

1. Recommendations on dashcams? Looking for something somewhat fancy. My buddy's Corvette has built in recording that shows speed, accel %, RPMs, gear, etc and I want it.
2. Who was the rear end in a top hat at COTA last week in the orange Lambo doing seriously dangerous poo poo in the intermediate group?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

If you want full data overlay and are ok with spendy, aim solo dl + smartycam.

Maybe the same Lambo that was a problem child the week before, too? What group was at cota last week? the answer is always to talk to the CDI when you see something dangerous going on

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I can second the AIM setup, but yeah, expensive for what it is.

I moved from a Smartycam 2 HD to a Smartycam 3 Corsa a few months ago and it was a nice update in terms of video quality (I think the Corsa has better video than the normal SC3), but there are some nice new software bugs. G meter is inverted unless you use the onboard Corsa data, in which case the sample rate is too fast to be useful on the overlay.

Also, about when I was talking about getting a different car or whatever - I ended up buying an Elise from Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch that was an arrive and drive for the owner in their Lotus Cup series or whatever, I pick it up in about ten days. No real plan for it yet and I'm not selling the BRZ off until at least after NASA Nationals in September, but it popped up and checked all of the boxes of what I'd been looking for with one.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

SlapActionJackson posted:

If you want full data overlay and are ok with spendy, aim solo dl + smartycam.

Maybe the same Lambo that was a problem child the week before, too? What group was at cota last week? the answer is always to talk to the CDI when you see something dangerous going on

Thanks for the req, I'll check those out!

I was with Edge Addicts on March 2nd. Someone in an orange Lambo, in yellow group, was just doing really stupid poo poo. Almost hit me and 2 other cars at turn 12.

Definitely reported him but not sure what happened.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Not to put too fine a point on it, but that's kinda Edge Addicts' brand.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

Also, about when I was talking about getting a different car or whatever - I ended up buying an Elise from Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch that was an arrive and drive for the owner in their Lotus Cup series or whatever, I pick it up in about ten days. No real plan for it yet and I'm not selling the BRZ off until at least after NASA Nationals in September, but it popped up and checked all of the boxes of what I'd been looking for with one.

Nice! If you have the space for it, having an actual race car for race car duty makes a lot of sense.

I'm registered for DE4 next week at Podium Club in the C5 Z06. It's been an adventure learning all the things that usually go wrong in C5s on track, and trying to resolve them before they ruin my weekend. I've done brakes (EBC SR11 pads, SS lines, rotors, SRF), water and new hoses and maintenance items in the cooling system, remote clutch bleeder and SRF, upper control arm bushings, and wheels to support the 275/35-18 V730s I already had. I rebuilt the drivers seat but the back still wobbles, like every other 97-2013 Corvette. I'm trying to postpone buying a radiator, hood vents, and camber lockout plates.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

Not to put too fine a point on it, but that's kinda Edge Addicts' brand.

Do they actually have a bit of history or reputation? This was just my 4th time, 1st time running solo without an instructor - I've had great experiences so far.

Are there other groups that run track days at COTA?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

heffray posted:

Nice! If you have the space for it, having an actual race car for race car duty makes a lot of sense.

I'm registered for DE4 next week at Podium Club in the C5 Z06. It's been an adventure learning all the things that usually go wrong in C5s on track, and trying to resolve them before they ruin my weekend. I've done brakes (EBC SR11 pads, SS lines, rotors, SRF), water and new hoses and maintenance items in the cooling system, remote clutch bleeder and SRF, upper control arm bushings, and wheels to support the 275/35-18 V730s I already had. I rebuilt the drivers seat but the back still wobbles, like every other 97-2013 Corvette. I'm trying to postpone buying a radiator, hood vents, and camber lockout plates.

hell yeah, podium club will be a good test with the long straight :) I'll see you out there, but I'll be bailing out early Sunday to go pick up the Lotus.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Dinurth posted:

Do they actually have a bit of history or reputation? This was just my 4th time, 1st time running solo without an instructor - I've had great experiences so far.

Are there other groups that run track days at COTA?

Disclaimer: I instruct with PCA, which has a heavy emphasis on the educational aspect of HPDE (and a mountain of rules & regs to show for it). I have not run a weekend with Addicts but I know a couple of PCA instructors who tried a weekend with them and felt that there wasn't enough emphasis on instruction and enough of their soloed drivers had fast cars instead of fast skills to be concerning.

Other options at COTA: https://hpdejunkie.com/locations/circuit-of-the-americas/
Of those, PCA and Chin run instructed DEs. I'll obviously endorse PCA, but Chin is fine, too.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

Disclaimer: I instruct with PCA, which has a heavy emphasis on the educational aspect of HPDE (and a mountain of rules & regs to show for it). I have not run a weekend with Addicts but I know a couple of PCA instructors who tried a weekend with them and felt that there wasn't enough emphasis on instruction and enough of their soloed drivers had fast cars instead of fast skills to be concerning.

Other options at COTA: https://hpdejunkie.com/locations/circuit-of-the-americas/
Of those, PCA and Chin run instructed DEs. I'll obviously endorse PCA, but Chin is fine, too.

Does PCA only do full weekends? I can't just do a single day?

Just looking at the schedule for Chin I like it more already, I end up waiting up to 3 hours sometimes with Edge Addicts because they have so many groups (and last weekend had multiple black flags).

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Dinurth posted:

Does PCA only do full weekends? I can't just do a single day?

Just looking at the schedule for Chin I like it more already, I end up waiting up to 3 hours sometimes with Edge Addicts because they have so many groups (and last weekend had multiple black flags).

PCA usually does not offer single days. We've done it in the past, on occasion, but only when we're looking to drum up new green students.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

hell yeah, podium club will be a good test with the long straight :) I'll see you out there, but I'll be bailing out early Sunday to go pick up the Lotus.
The main straight is scary- I was backing out at around 127 before cresting the hill, about 7mph higher than I was seeing in the SS. By the end of Sunday I was seeing fairly consistent high 1:48s, and there's definitely more pace available from the car. I agree with assessments that it's like a big, fast Miata.

Things I learned about the C5: the ABS system is not trustworthy, the chassis is generally good, it's a 2 speed transmission on track, and the seat is both awful and on par with everything else I've driven. Also, if you install an adjustable clutch stop to limit useless pedal travel and set it at ambient temperature, you'll need more travel when everything is hot. Once I adjusted it so I could accomplish all 4 shifts per lap, things improved. Maybe once I get a gas pedal extension I'll consider 2nd getting out of the hairpin, but 3rd covers everything up to 100mph and 4th to 148.

I was guessing my ABS issues were due to using the same pad front and rear (EBC SR11): this wasn't the case, I have one flat spot on the left front tire and several flat spots on the front right. The pads were great though, adequate stopping power cold and more once heated up, no fade, and typical dust and noise. I miss having good fixed calipers instead of PBRs from 1984, but might as well burn through this set of pads before getting something like the Wilwood Aero 6.

Temperatures were fine: 265F oil at the end of a session, coolant was around 220F. I expect to add oil cooling, a bigger radiator, and hood vents eventually but am happy to postpone that for a few more events.

I have plenty more work to do to the car, but expect the next time I have it out will be October for AMP due to schedule conflicts and the long summer break.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Update on my ABS: somehow the front wheel speed sensor harness was flipped, so it was cycling the inside front if the outside tire started to lock up, while thinking the locked wheel was fine. Thanks, Corvetteforum poster that had previously messed this up on his own car and posted an mspaint diagram of the correct layout. At least this is an easy fix, and I had extra tires anyway.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

heffray posted:

Update on my ABS: somehow the front wheel speed sensor harness was flipped, so it was cycling the inside front if the outside tire started to lock up, while thinking the locked wheel was fine. Thanks, Corvetteforum poster that had previously messed this up on his own car and posted an mspaint diagram of the correct layout. At least this is an easy fix, and I had extra tires anyway.

lmaoooo. Yeah, that sounds about right, I'm glad no harm to you or the car. If you want a real fix for Corvette ABS I've got some stuff:

Sorry, I meant to find you earlier in the weekend to talk, it was just a mess for me in between friends cars breaking or catching on fire and bailing out as soon as my first session was over on Sunday to go get the Lotus.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

... part of me wanting to retrofit the special RX-8 ABS module onto my NC MX-5 to feel what the difference is...

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

MkII update

Data Graham posted:

Sebring is on July 1st. Just have to get this thing put back in now

We're officially shaken down at this point. Daytona in a couple weeks.

And gently caress being "competitive"

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

mekilljoydammit posted:

... part of me wanting to retrofit the special RX-8 ABS module onto my NC MX-5 to feel what the difference is...

I've not read much into those, I just know a MK60/E1/E5 is night and day over a normal Bosch setup - especially something NB era.

Data Graham posted:

MkII update

We're officially shaken down at this point. Daytona in a couple weeks.

And gently caress being "competitive"

Hell yeah.

I don't normally post track videos here but I went to a non-competitive event yesterday for the first time in a really long time and had some fun at Chuckwalla. Came across a new M2 and a 911 GT3 Cup running somewhat similar lap times where we had no traffic and they weren't holding me up, normally I see no traffic and have no one around me so it was pretty enjoyable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFbA600jECg

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Hello track thread

I’m planning on doing one weekend HPDE per month this year during good weather in the NE/Mid Atlantic.

Car an E36 M3 w/square 245/40/17s.

I ran a couple weekends last year on Firestone Firehawks. They were fine but got hot and greasy pretty quickly. I’m considering swapping these out for Hankook RS4s. I don’t care that they aren’t the absolute fastest, from what I’ve read, but they appear to have great longevity.

Anything else I should consider? Should I just keep running the Firestones?

Tire related: Apex is having a sale on ARC8s for my car but from what I have read wheel weight appears to matter a lot and not at all? I have the OE DSII wheels. The Apex wheels would be about 20lbs lighter across all 4 wheels. In terms of actual lap times there seems to be no meaningful difference for someone at my level (novice/intermediate) with lighter wheels.

TLDR: do you love your RS4s and did you notice a difference installing lighter wheels?

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
I had RS4s on RPF1s on my Miata and probably did 10 track days on them and still probably had more in them. Sure they’re not the fastest but they definitely wear as well as people say.

I think the main benefit of having a widely available wheel even over lightness is that if anything gets bent/damaged, it’s quick and easy to get a replacements. It sucks having to track down OE wheels on anything slightly rare, and wheels do end up being a consumable when you’re tracking frequently.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I've got that size rs4s on my BRZ and they're great. There's better and faster but they're predictable, make noise near the limit, and do wear like iron.

The best tire becomes a thing when you're competing.

Unsprung weight is the best weight to lose on a car but again it doesn't matter much for hpde.

I'd recommend a second set of wheels so you can swap. Are you driving to events? If so having a second set of wheels and tires will let you drive home after flat spots, knocking a bead off, or damaging a wheel.

Most of the non trailer crew wind up with a hitch and tiny trailer they bring tools, brakes, and wheel set on.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

ThirstyBuck posted:

TLDR: do you love your RS4s and did you notice a difference installing lighter wheels?

Honda whisper has a great response. rs4 are good tires. There are a lot of very good tires if you are not being competitive.

My additional thoughts are, if you are looking for a tire to put down laps and raw time is not your current goal, maybe consider Michelin pilot sport 4s since they wear well, you can get at Costco on sale and have good traction in the wet.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I went with Cup2's on my 86 and now I feel like they are probably overkill for a standard car, well I'll find out on Monday as I' m doing my first day on Monday at Brands Hatch

I kinda wanted to try the car on track with the primacies at least once but even with under 9000 miles on them from factory after 6 years they were just complete crap even on the road. Then I ended up putting the optional Brembos on and now the standard wheels will never fit.

When I was tracking the mr2 people were saying avoid PS4's on track as apparently they didn't hold up once you started getting them properly hot. But then I found out quite a lot of people use them on track with 86's here, just wish I'd realised that before I'd went out and gone with the cup2's.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

honda whisperer posted:

I've got that size rs4s on my BRZ and they're great. There's better and faster but they're predictable, make noise near the limit, and do wear like iron.

The best tire becomes a thing when you're competing.

Unsprung weight is the best weight to lose on a car but again it doesn't matter much for hpde.

I'd recommend a second set of wheels so you can swap. Are you driving to events? If so having a second set of wheels and tires will let you drive home after flat spots, knocking a bead off, or damaging a wheel.

Most of the non trailer crew wind up with a hitch and tiny trailer they bring tools, brakes, and wheel set on.

These are all good ideas. I am driving to events. The furthest track is 4 hours away but usually I’ll be two hours away. I saw the micro trailer crowd last year and thought that they would be perfect for what I’m doing. I would just need to get a hitch and cut through my rear bumper cover.

I do have two set of wheels for the car. I bought a second set of DSII as they are staggered so I could make a square set from the wider 8.5” wheels. I could run the square skinny set to the track and the fat set once I get there.

King of all Machines Operate posted:

I had RS4s on RPF1s on my Miata and probably did 10 track days on them and still probably had more in them. Sure they’re not the fastest but they definitely wear as well as people say.

I think the main benefit of having a widely available wheel even over lightness is that if anything gets bent/damaged, it’s quick and easy to get a replacements. It sucks having to track down OE wheels on anything slightly rare, and wheels do end up being a consumable when you’re tracking frequently.

This is a good point. Thanks.

^I’ll have to look into the PS4S more as I thought it was more street than track but sounds like it might be an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I have Cup 2s on my FoRS. They are very sticky but you will eat through them like pizza at a Superbowl party. Especially if you're running street suspension settings and don't have enough camber. Also, they are whisper quiet until you are already full-send all wheel drifting through a fast corner you should have lifted for. Ask me how I know.

4 years later, I have PS4S's on my M4 and I was the fastest person in my group with way less wear, more feedback for when I'm approaching the limit, and still chasing down Porsches.

Sure, the Cup 2's are faster, but it's a DE, not a race.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Apr 5, 2024