Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Savington posted:

It's a junkyard 01+ VVT motor with a full exhaust, AEM EMS, and a few other small mods. Suspension is XIDA Clubsport, wheels/tires are 15x9 6ULs and 205/50 Hoosier R6s. Built specifically for NASA PTE and WERC E3 (endurance racing).

Curious, 205's on a 9" wheel? I'm guessing that's to maximize contact patch with the tire being as wide as you're allowed in classing rules?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

jamal posted:

A 205 R6 has an 8" wide tread, where the average all season in that size is only about 6.5, so it's not actually that much of a stretch.

That makes sense. Kinda makes things difficult when trying to compare tires - apparently star specs have a 7.4" tread width, RE-11's are 7.6", and no 205/50/15's are showing up for all seasons on tire rack. Few guys at autocross running 225/45/15 RS-3's (8" tread width) on 15x9's, and it doesn't look really stretched.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Calabogie is a great track, its in amazing shape. I've been to watch a few touring car races there, and will be doing a lapping day or two there this season. My first track day ever is set for June 3rd... I am counting down the days already.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Crustashio posted:

Just get a motive and whatever adapter you need for your reservoir. It makes it so much easier. Pressuize, open bleeder until you see fluid, close bleeder. Can easily bleed everything in 20 minutes depending on how fast you can remove/install wheels.

Can you use the motive for clutch bleeding too?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Check with where you want to run. With a sparco bucket mounted to stock rails, I'm about 1-2" away from being under the rollbar, but 99% of the track days around where I am just require a rollbar that meets SCCA standards. They don't do a broomstick test, as the SCCA rules state the driver must be 2" under the bar or the bar must be as tall as possible with the soft top up. I'm not under the bar, but it's as tall as possible with the soft top up and I'm allowed to run as a result. The bar I've got is basically the double diagonal hard core from bethania, made by a local fabricator who's been building custom bars/cages for SCCA / CASC (:canada: SCCA) for years.

I'm in the process of making a seat mounting bracket that will do away with stock rails and likely drop me the 1-2" I need to actually be under the bar with my helmet on. I'm already under the bar without a helmet.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

This is the one I have, with a welded in harness bar (not shown)

And installed in the car:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

jamal posted:

Diagonals need to be in the main hoop, and they need to go from the base to the opposite corner. That is the minimum requirement for a roll bar in pretty much every piece of motorsports regulation - scca, nasa, rally, fia, etc.

Hell, even the SCCA general club racing rules for a cage allow the bracing for the main roll hoop to be outside the plane of the hoop, unless I'm reading this wrong:

Section 9.4.B.2.a posted:

Main hoops shall incorporate a diagonal brace. The brace shall either be in the plane of the main hoop, or extend from the top of one rear brace (described in 9.4.B.2.c) to the bottom of the opposite rear brace. Automobiles with mid mounted engines can have the lower mounting point attach to the frame of the automobile within six inches of the main hoop. In the case of braces in the plane of the main hoop, the brace must span at least 50% of the width of the main hoop, and at least 75% of the height of the main hoop as shown in figure 12.

And in terms of the broomstick test for SCCA autocross:

From the SCCA Solo rulebook:

3.3.2 Roll Bars posted:

Roll bars or roll cages are strongly recommended in all cars. A roll bar meeting the requirements of Appendix C or a roll cage meeting the requirements of the Club Racing General Competition Rules (GCR) (Section 9.4, Roll Cages For GT And Production Based Cars or Section 9.4.5, Roll Cages For Formula Cars and Sports Racing Cars) is required in all A Modified (AM), B Modified (BM), C Modified (CM), and F Modified (FM) vehicles and all open cars in Prepared Category, D Modified (DM) class, and E Modified (EM) class. For open cars in the Stock, Street Prepared, Street Touring®, and Street Modified categories, the roll bar or roll cage height may be reduced from Appendix C or GCR 9.4 requirements to the highest possible height which fits within an installed factory-specified hardtop or convertible top. The roll bar or roll cage height may also be reduced in the same manner for cars in the Prepared category with a full original equipment windshield assembly and a standard (as defined herein) hardtop which has been bolted securely in place.

From the Time Trials Rules:

10.1.1.B posted:

The top of the roll bar shall not be below the top of the driver’s helmet when the driver is in normal driving position, and shall not be more than six inches behind the driver. It is strongly suggested that the roll bar extend at least three inches above the driver’s helmet. In case of two driver cars, both drivers must be within the roll bar height requirement, however only one driver must be within six inches of the roll bar. In a closed car equipped with a roll bar/cage, it must be as close as possible to the interior top of the car.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Had my first trackday yesterday, and uh... Wow. Had an instructor for most of the day, it was lots of fun. At the end of the day they combined the novice & intermediate groups, and I managed to catch up to & get pointed by an Elise who'd been running in intermediate all day. So much fun trying to catch him, it was great having someone who was pretty close to my speed that I was working to catch / pull away from. Pretty sure that's the most fun I've ever had in a car... Unfortunately the GoPro was out of batteries by then.

I honestly don't understand why some people wouldn't point others by... It's a lot of fun trying to keep up with the people ahead of you through the corners.

I changed my brake fluid before the event, but I was still getting a bit of sponginess from the brakes by the end of the session. I think this is more a function of braking more than I need too, but my instructor recommended switching to ATE Super Blue or something similar.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I'm running hawk HP+. As for the track, I was at shannonville motorsports park in Ontario. We ran the long track configuration, it was awesome.

I'm also getting some strange noises from the right rear, something is making a grindingish noise when not braking with every wheel revolution, and it doesn't sound right under braking either. Will pull that apart tonight and see what's going on. It wasn't making noises like that before the trackday...

TrueChaos fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 4, 2013

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Yeah, this happened to me when I had my first Z06 track day on way too little sleep. My helmet was really sticky against the headrest, which was incredibly distracting trying to turn my head to plan through corners. I'd check the mirror every several seconds and there'd always be a car back there.

Or they're just big-egoed dicks who can't be beat. When I rode along during an instructor session, my car got held up by a guy who was doing everything he could to not point by.

Yeah, this guy who wasn't pointing by was running in an older, race prepped car, that he races wheel to wheel. He was running in the advanced group and was clearly just pissed about getting caught, especially by miata's it seemed. He was black flagged for not pointing by, and was asked to leave before the end of the day as a result.

Took apart the rear that was making noise, the inner pad disintegrated and it was metal on metal. I had a stuck caliper pin over the winter, and on the advice of a mechanic I know (who was actually at the track day running his LS1 swapped miata) I sanded it flat and kept running it. Glad I kept the old pads when I switched to the HP+'s.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Sadi posted:

So another question, do you bias your pads? A few friends run XP-10s front and XP-8s rear but Im not sure I want to bias the front any more than it already is.

Bunch of the time attack miata guys were at the lapping day I was at, and the general consensus amoung them was reversed of what you posted - XP-8's front XP-10's rear, to prevent front lockup before the back. They're all running aftermarket suspension though, and said that typically on stock suspension you can use equal pads, because you can really get the front end of the car to dive meaning more grip/less lockup.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Just back from my 2nd lapping day, and what a day. Much more difficult track than my first day - tonnes of elevation changes, and the majority of the corners are completely blind. As a result it took me a lot longer to get comfortable, so I didn't push too much. Still had tonnes of fun though, practicing heel-toe and working on progressively braking later/less. I'll upload a video of a couple laps tomorrow, at this point I'm completely exhausted.

On an unrelated note, it's definitely not a good feeling when the advanced run group gets red flagged because someone's into the armco, and into it hard. Watching the entrance to the pits waiting for your buddy to get back in is no fun. Thankfully, the driver was okay, but apparently pin-balled off the armco on one side of the track into the armco on the other side. Car is definitely a write off.

I also had the pleasure of finding 2nd when I wanted 4th, thankfully no damage was done. Joys of a non-interference engine & catching the mistake quickly.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

StimpyBoy posted:

Since the rally thread is gone (I think), Rally of the Tall Pines is this Saturday in Bancroft, Ontario, Canada. I'm unfortunately not driving this year or next due to various reasons, but I'll be co-driving in a 1991 VW Golf!

http://www.tallpinesrally.com/

Car #39. If you're in Ontario and want to spectate a rally, it's looking like a good one. 5 inches of snow last night and cold temperatures means it should be a slippery one :)

Oh for fucks sake of course I'm heading back to Toronto this weekend.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I'm going 225/45 RS3's on a 15x9 wheel - it winds up being a tiny bit of stretch, and coupled with a lightweight car it stiffens up the sidewall.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Autocross is where I'm actually competitive, and I'm going to do as many lapping days as I can afford this year though. I did two last year (first time on an actual race track!) and will hopefully do 3-5 this year as funds allow.

RS3's seem to shine around here. I may go back to rivals for 2015 depending on what I find. I couldn't really hear the rivals on track over the wind noise, but that's probably a combination of baby's first track day + not pushing hard enough.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

aventari posted:

I'm running that size on my E30 with a 15x8 wheel. It fits perfectly. I'm sure the 15x9 would work well too.

If you get a chance try them on a 9" wheel, the difference is astounding. I was originally looking at 15x8's cause they'll fit a bit better (I may have to roll the fenders to fit. It's close but until I can flog them on the car with my suspension I won't know.) but having driven the tire on an 8" & a 9" the difference was big. The 8" felt really squirmy, could feel the sidewalls moving around, where as that was almost gone on the 9" wheels. I'm lucky they're are a bunch of miata drivers around here with lots of different setups who are willing to let me have a run in their car, it's made the whole what do I want to buy process much easier.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

There's pavement visible, booo. This is where I play in the winter:

It's a flooded ice track. Snowcross + winter driving schools. :getin:

How'd you place? I'm assuming that's a snowcross of some kind you're at.

TrueChaos fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 2, 2014

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

grover posted:

Rumors are abounding of an RS3 compound change due to occur with the next shipment. They're supposed to give better cold & wet grip than the present compound, but will be otherwise identical, and identifiable only by looking at the date code on the sidewall.

This would be amazing.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

200 treadware were already available, no?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Does ice racing go here? I'm not driving in the series this year, but will be next year, just helping out for now. Cars involved have to be taken off the road - not plated, no insurance - and it's a 3 hour enduro, specific number of required fuel stops and driver changes. Three classes, AWD FWD and RWD. Contact happens. Have some copter footage!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRyURVxUwIc

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Crustashio posted:

Haha I love playing with the ebrake button on the highway. Click click click

I'm guilty of this too. There's not much to do in a miata on a long straight, and it's slow enough that straights can take a while. Of course, I should have two hands on the wheel, and I try not to, but clicky clicky clicky clicky.

I'm that rear end in a top hat who's always clicking a pen too.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

No, the water is for you.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I wear a full face but have taken the visor off, mainly because of glasses. I don't have prescription sunglasses, but I do have a set of shaded safety glasses that are comfortable to wear over top of my glasses, so I do that. I haven't had a day yet where I wasn't wearing them, and I'm confident they'll keep stuff out of my eyes.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

My HP+'s have 4-5mm left. I've got a track day in a few weeks and am torn on if I should replace them or not. Thoughts?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Thanks guys. New pads ordered, going to swap them on prior to the event and keep these ones as spares.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

So uh... 3rd track day ever. Something clicked in my 2nd session, and my confidence went up enough that I was actually really pushing. Got pulled from the novice group and stuck in intermediate. Got pulled from the intermediate and stuck in the top / advanced run group. I was consistently getting my heel / toe, hitting my braking points, clean lines, and in the words of my instructor... "Pit next lap, I want to follow you through the carousel section because you're getting it cleaner and faster than I've been able to, and doing it every lap, and I've been lapping here for more than 10 years". I also went through a full tank, when last year with the same amount of track time I used half a tank. There's still so much to learn, and I'm still nowhere near what the limit of the car is, but that was really nice to hear.

I'm still blown away by just how much fun this is.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

One of the best feelings in the world is throwing the car into a corner, feeling the front push just a bit, putting your foot in it, feeling the back start to let go, having the car seemingly pivot about it's axis and slingshot out of the corner. The back end moving just enough that you can dial out some of the steering input so the push goes away as it comes around... So great. Last time at this track I'd back off if I was feeling any kind of push/slide at all.

Plus, getting passed is awesome, because it means you can try and keep up. Best motivation to push harder is trying to keep up with / reel in that car just ahead of you. I got passed lots in the advanced group, and learned a tonne & saw different lines as a result.

Both my shoulders are also bruised, bucket seat is great and all but man I'm sore. Please excuse the ridiculous posts that must sound normal to all of you, but I'm still amazed by the fun.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

eriddy posted:

Track days own. What car were you driving?

99 miata, only mods are 15x9's with 225 RS3's, rollbar, bucket, 6 point harness.

Dancing with the car is the perfect way to put it :3:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Stock suspension with ~115k miles on it. Ride bumpstops all day long.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

SlapActionJackson posted:

Cangrats. Novice to Advanced in one day is unheard of, I've never seen it happen.

Time for seats and harnesses (and a roll bar).

I probably should have been in intermediate to start, just wasn't confident. I have a Sprint V, 6 point, and a bar ;)

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Christ that GTO picture is terrifying. Also not going to post it.

As someone who's still new to track days, I have only the utmost respect for those who've instructed me, and am always careful when there's an instructor with me.

I swear though, trackdays are like crack.

Video from Shannonville last monday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs6pE6yR2vY

Shannonville is very flat, lots of run off, nothing you can really run into for ages. Calabogie on the other hand...

Video from Calabogie Friday evening, with an excellent instructor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx9u8uQ8BJo

Blind corners, turns over crests (turning in when you can't see that the road turns takes getting used to), lots of elevation changes. I'm back there again this Friday, can't wait.

TrueChaos fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 10, 2014

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Ziploc posted:

You! I didn't know you were a goon. I was in the yellow E36. Since I saw you were on a square sticky setup, and I was as stock as it gets (OEM Sachs yo) you were my benchmark for the day.

ZincBoy posted:

Had a great day at Toronto Motorsports Park (Cayuga). First time doing a time attack event and I think I will be back. Did better in practice than in the time attack session but only ended up 0.5sec off my best practice pace. Only ~30 cars registered today and as much track time as you could stand from 9-2:30.

Both of you need to come lap at shannonville & calabogie! Next calabogie day is July 21st with MCO.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

ZincBoy posted:

Calabogie is about a 5 hour drive for me and I am camping that weekend so I can't make it. Shannonville is more reasonable at just over two hours away. Are there any dates planned for there?

You can camp at the track at bogie! Shannonville I'm not sure about, St.Lac just does one event there per year and I haven't run with anyone else there yet.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

sig11 posted:

If you're looking for a good group to go to Calabogie with you should go with 3Balls Racing on August 9-10th. Two days of open track with point by passing. Should be easy to get a good instructor if you ask. http://3ballsracing.com/events/event/28/Calabogie-Motorsports-Park-on-Saturday--August-9--2014 I'm hoping to have the funds for the trip but I have to get the Z repaired first.

Yeah they're a good group. I'm looking in to going up on Saturday, we'll see. That's a phenomenal price for bogie, MCO days are like 350 for the day.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

How many track days can I expect to get out of a set of HP+ on a miata? I'm at... 7? this year so far and I'm surprised at how much of the fronts I've gone through.

Rears, well, I think I'll probably get through another set of fronts before they're dead.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

How not to drive your McLaren on a track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYGCeRjOcaY

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Help, there is a 430 scudderia in my group (mkV GTI).

Laugh to yourself as you get a point by. Or consequently watch him disappear in the straights only to reappear mid corner.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

TWSS posted:

What type of LSD should I get for my K20 swapped AW11 MR2? Power will be about 240hp/160ft-lbs and it will be a gutted, caged track rat that will be running Mosport, Calabogie and Shannonville. Some people have recommended helical and others have said that for RWD cars a 2-way clutch type will give the best power delivery coming out of corners. I don't have experience driving with either so I was hoping some of you guys could weigh in before I make my purchase.

I don't have any advice at all, but are you planning on doing the MCO track days next year at 'bogie? If so shoot me a PM beforehand, I run all the MCO days.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Sigma X posted:

FYI it's a really bad idea to ride the rear end of someone in DE1. Also bad track manners. It's a track day, not a race; and I generally leave sufficient space for the idiot in front of me to jam on the brakes mid-corner, spin out, or randomly lose control otherwise without me losing it.

Agree with this, when I started out having a car right on my rear end mid corner was always unsettling. I still find myself on someones bumper on rare occasions though, typically when they brake very early for a corner or their corner entry speed is significantly lower than I was expecting.

Gets a lot better in the upper groups though, the club I'm in moved to open passing for the advanced group and it's fantastic. I actually get more point by's in the open group than anywhere else - everyone seems to be so much more conscious of where everyone else is because you can get passed at any point. Everyone typically still points by, but it's nice being able to point the C6Z06 driven by the head instructor through on the 2nd corner after the straight, rather than having them wait behind me until the next passing zone.

Does anyone here instruct? I've been asked by our club to instruct next year (with them running a full instructors course in the spring prior to the club lapping days) but I'm not sure I want to get in the passenger seat with some unknown person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I don't understand how on earth he's spinning so much. I mean the driving is awful but that seems excessive.