Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Drove my e30 tuned fiesta at Waterford raceway today. Some buddies rented the track and there were maybe 5 cars total on the track at any given time. Perfect weather and group to do my first track day with.

Stock all seasons on the fist were singing some songs! I need some real summer tires. I ran the entire track in 3rd and uses 4th on the two straights. Very tight track, longest straight I hit 85-90 mph I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Anyone going to gridlife Midwest at gingerman this weekend?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

A couple of my friends will be there representing their shop (I think) and running one of their cars. They're the Dast Auto crew with a boosted black VW golf/gti

Cool., Ill be there tomorrow early afternoon through Sunday. Ill make sure to swing by and ask them awkward questions about their stairs.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

They aren't on SA so that'll really mess with them. They're the ones that are doing fab work on my track build. Tell them Blake said hi.

Blake says HI ARE YOUR STAIRS PROTECTED!?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Check your axle nut on that side

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Ah sorry, read the too fast. My buddy had almost the exact same issue this weekend at gridlife with carbotexh pads, his nut backed out.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Blaise posted:

Did it go away once he fixed it? I could back it off and retorque it to check.

Unfortunately it blew out his wheel bearing in the process so he called it a weekend as there wasn't a spare.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I'll be at gingerman this weekend (gridlife).

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

First laps at gingerman in HPDE beginner...wet track :stare:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

Car control!!

Was really fun once it dried out by session 2. By session 3 I was ripping pretty good. It's a difficult track to feel the good lines on, I'm decent at about half the track and total poo poo at the rest.

Turbo swapped Fiesta ST is really fun. Big brakes and a diff are going to be necessary if I ever really want to go fast, but I'm having a blast as it is. My main problem is dudes in miatas and civics not pointing me by, they think I'm part of their covenant, heh

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Gingerman Gridlife HPDE (beginner) track day report:

My second HPDE, first at gingerman raceway. The track is challenging and the lines are not obvious, but it felt very safe. Tons of runoff room pretty much everywhere!

In the beginner HPDE, we get 4 x 20 minute sessions per day.

My car:
FiST
mountune MRX turbo (gtx2554)
turbo back exhaust
e30 tune
Firehawk 205 width tires
hawk DTC-60 pads and upgraded fluid

Saturday, general driver meeting and beginners get to meet their instructors. We had the luxury of an instructor in our car for every session for both days.

Session 1: It rained all morning and the track was still very damp. I still turned off traction control, and got to it. Instructor started showing me the line and generally speaking the car was pretty stable through most of the track. However a handful of the slower corners had some damp areas and probably some oil and junk on the surface. I got the car a little sideways a few times but was able to correct with countersteering. A few other beginners spun out, no damage to any cars just a few bruised egos I assume. This session was full yellow and was pretty slow all round.

Session 2 and 3: First open sessions with passing (in the 3 straights only). I learned that I am really bad at corner entry on a lot of this track...lots of difficult to read areas that are best apexed late, especially in a front wheel drive car. That being said, I started to get the hang of some of the lines and the general speed of the track. I struggled putting power down leaving corners, with 250 whp, no LSD, and 340tw tires. Speaking of tires, I had them at too high pressure and put some skinny wear on them as a result. That being said, I had a blast being able to reel in or at least stay with every other car in the group on the straights, other than a pesky M4 and my buddies heavily modified VW GLI.

Sesion 4: I skipped it, after session 3 I was hit with a brutally bad headache and just general malaise. I hadnt slept well the night before and it caught up.

Sunday: Looser instruction and refinement of lines

Sessions 1-4: My instructor was very happy with my commitment to getting a handful of corners that I struggled with on Saturday right this time. The double apex I kept blowing exit on was the one I spent all night thinking about, and I drastically improved this time around. My fastest lap was a 1:57 (instructor had a timer in his pocket, I had no idea 'til the session was over). I think with properly inflated tires and another 2 days of sessions, I could be WAY faster than that. I was really starting to crack the code towards the end of the day.

Thoughts on the car:
My car is a street car, and I spent most of my time and money making it faster in a straight line. To track it seriously next year, I need a few things:

Radiator upgrade: After 4-5 laps, I saw coolant at 240+, and oil at 260+. Thats just too hot for long term reliability. The FiST has a oil/coolant exchanger plate, so a radiator will drop my oil temps somewhat too.

Brake upgrade: stock calipers held up OK, but I started to cut sessions a lap short on the second day to conserve the car. I think a BBK is in my future.

Camber: The car doesnt have a ton of options to increase negative camber, but I think I can get 2.5-3 at max using camber bolts in the front. The back is another story...

Real tires: Assuming I stay with 16" wheels, Ill probably go 205/45/16 in the R-S4. Those tires + more camber should hopefully help me get the power down easier.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Yeah, be careful with the Firehawk if you're tracking them and don't have the ability to add enough camber to stay off the outside edge. The edges feather real quick and will bald in a day or two. Great, great, great cheap street tire... but don't track them if you aren't one of the slow people (you know what I mean).

Well the good news is that I wore them in a pretty skinny line, probably a good 1/4" off the wear triangle because of having them over-inflated the first day. But yeah I will keep that in mind, I am running stock camber but I will get the camber bolts and an alignment before spring.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I had some fluid outside the reservoir and the pedal did indeed get a little longer towards the end of sessions. The stock fist overheats it's brakes because of torque vectoring, add 80 more whp and torque and I think my concern is warranted. Outside of an LSD install, the engine computer is adding a lot of extra heat to my brakes.

Edit: The Nurburgring is terrifying. Glad you're in one piece.

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 14, 2017

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

:stonk: Glad you made it out with the car in one piece

Forgot about the torque vectoring, now I remember people complaining about cooking pads. Still try higher temp pads and fluid firs t, there's no reason you should be buying BBK after two HPDE unless you really want it for the bling factor.

I did, was running DTC-60s and ATE Typ 200 :)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Larrymer posted:

Pretty sure motul rbf600 has a higher boiling temp which sounds like your main issue. I assume that even with bigger brakes the stupid torque vectoring is going to hurt you. Any way to disable it?

Buy and install an LSD :) Apparently without doing some serious shenanigans with Fords scantool, there is no disabling the TVC. The fuse for it also controls ABS I believe. I will probably try RBF600 next time, I am just pre-gaming for next season at this point.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Phone posted:

Try turning down the boost.

Where is the fun in that?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Fair point. I was very happy to not break anything and drive the car home (3.5 hours) after the weekend. I am confident that better throttle control and apexing later will give better results for me as far as corner exit wheelspin, just need to put it all together mentally. It wasn't until towards the end of the second day that I felt like my CPU wasn't pegged at 100% the entire time in the car.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

mekilljoydammit posted:

Ugh, torque vectoring. Well, Motul and ducts are worth a try - I feel like that might get you more than a lot of BBKs would.

Ducting is something I want to explore, you are definitely onto something there. Not a ton of "bolt-on" options so I will have to tinker a bit.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

Sorry missed that if you said it earlier. Next step would be ducting as mekilljoydammit said, that helped a ton on previous cars. Not even direct ducting (hose/shrouds) on my first E30 went from boiling fluid after 1-2 hard laps to getting 5+ before pedal started to get soft and at that point everything else was complaining.

Is pointing the ducting down the width of the rotor (shooting air into the channels) an OK second option to routing a hose to the backplate and shooting it straight on the rotor? Ive read a ton of contradictory poo poo about brake ducting.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

mekilljoydammit posted:

Think of vented rotors as pumps - they want to feed from the inside and sling air to the outside. Working with that helps, fighting that helps less.

Ah yeah. That makes sense. So if I had my choice, where would I be directing air? At the tophat?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Ducting is definitely cheaper than a BBK, I'll put that on my list for spring :v:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

That is rad as gently caress.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Anyone attending Gridlife At mid Ohio in a few weeks? I’ll be there, desperately trying to get my car ready. Weather hasn’t been very good for working on my car.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

The cars in WTAC are ridiculously developed, the winner last year was basically an unrecognizable prototype made of pure carbon fiber and unobtanium. I hope the rules in the various US series don't allow them to get that zany...at some point the money is just out of control right?

I like that Jim Houghton can crush everyone in gridlife with a K-swapped integra that runs a bunch of off the shelf Honda poo poo.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Gridlife Mid Ohio was kind of a bust. Had fun hanging out with my buddies but I got two sessions on Sat morning and then the heavy rains came. I wasnt willing to put my car on the wet track, so that was it for me. Ive run on a wet track a bit before at other tracks, but Mid Ohio is serious business and is really treacherous when wet.

So cut my loses and bailed out early on day two. Prob wont be scheduling anymore April midwest track days in the future :v:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

FatCow posted:

Might as well race a Corvette with that attitude.

Eh. It's the banks' car, my man.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Brake failure? Whiffed on the braking marker?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Yeah strange looking situation. Didnt saw at the wheel or do anything dramatic, just drove straight into the wall. Scary poo poo.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Put almost 40 Waterford Hills laps on my FiST yesterday. I am real slow, but the car held up well and the new tires (hankook R-S4) and suspension stuff (koni yellows with swift springs) were fantastic. If anything, I might adjust the rears to be a hair stiffer, the car was understeering a bit and not quite as easy to rotate as stock. Had a blast, started the day running 1:28s and ended in the 1:25s, per the cheap version of Harrys app. I just turned it on and tossed it in my center console, wasn't chasing laptimes but mostly working on a few areas of the track that I find difficult, like the weird double-apex known as "The Swamp". For reference, my buddy with a lightly tuned Focus RS on 255 R-S4s ran a 1.20.6, other dude with a 2015 WRX on RE71 set a 1:21.5.

I have a long way to go, but I am pretty confident I have tons of time I am leaving out there. If you ever get a chance to rent out a track for a day with a group of your friends, it is literally the best thing.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

In a RS? Yes

Yup. The RS is pretty drat good right out of the box. Do you have the 2018 model with the LSD?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

KillHour posted:

I figured. That would be an odd thing for Ford to cheap out on. I'm actually a little worried that the car can write checks my inexperienced rear end can't cash. I've definitely never been anywhere near its limits on the road, and not for a lack of trying.

No :sigh:

The non-LSD version will heat brakes up a bit quicker, because of the TVC system. However, if youre new and just feeling out the limits, you very likely will not get them to fade in a 15-20 minute session.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Took the FiST to Waterford Hills again today. First time out, limp mode because coolant hit 250+ degrees in 5 laps. Second time out, charge pipe blew off the turbo.

I’ve got a nice sunburn on my ankle from running the heat full blast for the next few runs. Had a good time but all the working on the car and fairly high heat of the day sapped me badly. I got home and have no interest getting off the couch at all.

One of those days that is a good reminder that I have a lot of small reliability stuff to take care of in the next month. Probably should install that radiator...

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

My car isn’t stock (so not an indictment on stock fists), but has the stock radiator at the moment. I wasn’t watching intake charge temps but I didn’t felt any heat soak power loss at all...just the car hitting limp mode on the back straight.

With the heat on full blast I was able to get 8-9 laps before the brakes got a little soft, which has been my typical experience with the stock brakes + dtc-60s.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

jamal posted:

In addition to, or even instead of bigger, better coolers, improving airflow through them goes a long way. Like think about where the air is going after it hits the radiator. Some well placed speed holes and fabricating some ducting can go a long way, if you're willing to say, cut holes in the hood. Also a higher percentage of water:antifreeze with some water wetter added helps.

Good advice! I’m thinking of rigging up some “walls” to stop air from entering the grill and passing around the outside of the radiator and Fmic. Not sure what material to use though.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Autobahn country club north is really fun!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

The guys from Powerstop got a beautiful pic of my car at Autobahn. God drat.
https://www.powerstop.com/gridlife-pics-autobahn-country-club/

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

https://youtu.be/kvy9CGjE0wo

Pointby from GTR at 1:30. Must be terrible to be slow and have a really fast car, shitheads like me dunking on you nonstop and taking selfies :lol:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Agreed. This guy was clearly new. Not stopping me from posting on the internet about passing him though :v:

Autobahn is really rad. If I was a mega rich dude living in Chicago I would be a member for sure. The north course is a hero track, pretty simple but really fun. Even if you are slow it feels fast.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Are these rotors loving hosed, mate? 7 trackdays of DTC-60 and undercooled, undersized brake system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

track day bro! posted:

He was real close because I saw him flash by in my rear view mirror, if I was going any slower he would've tagged the back of my car. I'm lolling at me trying to wave at him afterwards, I did end up just turning the rest of the lap to a cool-down and coming in because of that.

Thats my wideband which isn't working because the turbo manifold adapter gasket started to blow half way through the day. I was down on boost and the thing was running pig rich I think I went through about 3 tanks of fuel during the day haha.

Both yours and the instructors reactions were pretty funny. I cant say I wouldn't react the same, that was a bit of an butt puckering moment for sure. I was also surprised at the amount of rotations he got out of that MR2!