Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

Has anyone done the SCCA/Tire rack track night in america? Is it a worthwhile program or should I be looking more at full trackdays? This would be my first real track driving experience and I would be in a street driven daily driver car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

Eh. It's the banks' car, my man.

what is the overall opinion on track insurance? I'm thinking about buying it myself since my car is also financed and I'll be doing a TNiA next month. It seems like it's probably worth it since if I flipped my car I'd be hosed

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I think you run with windows up unless you have a net.

I'm also looking to get a helmet, any good recommendations goons?

I bought this cheap one for rallycross and trackdays and I like it pretty well. Maybe it won't protect your head as well as a more expensive helmet, I don't know. Works fine for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MS04EQJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

I participated in the SCCA/Tirerack Track night in America this past friday, and I thought I would share my initial impressions of the experience as a complete novice for other beginners who are thinking about trying it as well. It felt to me like there was a very wide range of driving comfort level within the novice group as well as a huge range of vehicle performance capabilities (miatas to corvettes, and everywhere in between) which for me made it kind of a stressful driving experience. The event organizers instructed everyone to drive at a level they feel comfortable with but it was apparent right away that some drivers were comfortable at 6/10 and others were pushing it to 11/10. There were a surprising number of cars spinning off track, which i partly understand since I think most people were there to push the limits of their cars. It was just surprising to see how much freedom there was to push your car very hard. There was very little instruction beyond basic safety and flags, as well as where the designated passing zones were. It was up to you to find the racing line, when to brake, when to turn in etc.

I think it was overall a good experience that I'm glad I did, but for the next step I'm looking more at a HPDE with an actual instructor in the car because I feel like my experience level is too low to be on track by myself. I guess what surprised me the most was how physically and mentally draining it was trying to keep pace with some of the faster drivers, especially in the rain for the last few sessions. In the last session there was a decent amount of rain coming down and a wet track and I was trying to push myself to pull away from a BRZ behind me (myself in a Mk5 R32) and while I was never outside my comfort zone nor dropped any wheels off track, i was pushing hard enough that I left the event just physically and mentally exhausted, in a good way though. It was great to just "go out and have fun", but I think I would be better served in the future by having an instructor show me how to actually drive a proper lap.

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I just bought my first racing helmet, a SA2015. It looks kinda big and goofy on me but its definitely solid stuff and fits perfectly (tried on a few before picking one).

My M3 is almost back from the shop, but it probably won't be ready for the rallycross event this weekend. I'm not even sure if I want to rallycross the M3 since its pretty low to the ground... but rwd would be fun. I also have a new WRX that would be fun to rallycross, but its my daily so I'm not sure I should.

How stupid am I, goons? I was gonna buy a cheap shitbox so I wouldn't feel bad if I dinged it up rallycrossing, and instead I got a fairly nice M3 for tracking. But I still want to do rallycross events.

A. Rallycross the WRX and if it gets dinged up in the paint, I can always get it re-painted or something? No huuuuge deal. The course doesn't have any trees or boulders that would do serious damage...
B. Rallycross the M3 and slide around in the dirt? I wanna go sideways, and if I ding up the paint on it I wouldn't care too much either...
C. Show up and spectate and watch other people in the dirt and wait for the next track event instead...
D. Race both of them because they're my drat cars and who cares if I smash it and ruin the resell value? :retrogames:

Are you looking at going to the one at I96 in lake odessa? I'll be there on sunday. I don't think there would be too much damage to your car, but expect it to get extremely dirty.

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

mekilljoydammit posted:

Funny question, but I'm looking for more forums and crap for bullshitting about roadrace poo poo - I'm bored at work a lot lately. I'm on corner carvers and probably going to reg at RRAX, plus the prodracing forum... anything major I'm missing? I mean assume an SCCA bent as NASA is a nonentity here.

i like the grassroots motorsports forums

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've done a couple shifter kart sessions at Bondurant and learned two things:

1) I'm wide enough that I just don't fit those drat things
2) I do not possess enough fortitude to hold the throttle / stay away from the brake long enough to be anything but painfully slow. Holy gently caress you need to drive those things in deep.

Very cool, but not for me.

That's funny I just did some kart racing at Bondurant last week. I found the fastest way for me to drive was to not even touch the brake pedal, just let off the throttle and turn it in hard and let the tires scrub off enough speed to make the corner. It was so much fun I'm looking at buying a LO206 kart to race if I can sell my rallycross car. I don't think I've ever had so much fun in a motor vehicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

The nice part is we have two really good kart tracks within an hour and a half.
PKRA and Musselman

Musselman rents shifter karts out, too. But yeah, I was also looking at a LO206 for PKRA.

I live in Michigan so I'm thinking I'll try to race at East Lansing Kart Track, it seems they have an adult lo206 class. I have been eyeing this kart pretty hard for the last few days:

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/snw/d/lo206-kart-birel-2009-cik/6651449065.html

I didn't know they have shifter karts at Bondurant, we drove the single speed four strokes on the smaller infield track. You're right, I don't think I'd have the balls to go at full pace in a shifter kart either.