Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Is this the Honda!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

It was one hell of a ride but honestly pretty drat gentle for what it was. Could have ended up a lot worse, I'm just happy I didn't take any one else out with my mistake.

As far as reception we went from low power rental radios to a high powered base station and we had great connection all around the track. Handheld radios are ~5W, base station (in car and in trailer) at 45W.

That could have been a lot worse. Glad you are ok!
Were you guys "Lowered Expectations" ? I recognized that as a goon name.
I was crew chief for #378 Low Farm Racing (near bone stock blue '86 Mr2)

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Some of the Sheep posted:

I like the clown in the rear view at 13:20.

That's at the carousel.
The explanation I heard from our council and vscda drivers was this: on it, and have to lift, you're hosed because the forces on the car will pull you out or spin you. 3rd gear and 30-50% throttle.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

drgitlin posted:

In the Golf I short shift into 4th before turning in, but that's a fwd car. It's a lot of fun in the wet because there's more than one line around there. Hope WRL gets a Road America date some time soon.

I'm sure we'd be there. The Double 7 was a great experience.
Communicating with the event staff was pretty nice.
Website... eh it's poo poo trying to get a car reg'd.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Anyone doing the ChumpCar event in April at Road America?

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
For those of you that saw our MR2 run at Road America in October of 2014 you may have noted how slow 130k mile 1500cc MK1 MR2 can be.
BEAMS will hopefully be ready for April.
PM if you want to show up and say Hi at the Low Farm pit so I know what Fedora and Trench-coat combo you may be wearing.
Typically with us if you introduce yourself and need help with something (parts, welding, oh shits!) we will see what we can do.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Will be doing this thing: CHUMPCar - Landjaeger Classic @ Road America - 04/18,19

Low Farm Racing - Car #378 - 1986 Toyota MR2

If you wish to chat me up look for the tallest guy in the pit for our team that is not driving.

We are AKA Slow Farm Racing on FB.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

User Error posted:

quotin myself:

We finished! We spent more time in the pits than we should have due to a couple of stupid issues, but we didn't crash it or blow up the motor. Road America is a loving awesome track. A friend of mine who helped crew our last race came through at the last minute, and I recruited a local SCCA guy and dragged along my roommate. I'm annoyed with myself for not prepping the car better but I couldn't have asked for better weather, a better track, or a better crew.

Late to the party here for follow up - you guys made a good run of it!
We were plagued with teething problems all weekend and a failed water pump.
Eeked out 50 laps on Sunday with a 2.1gpm 12v ag sprayer pump.

You don't wear a Red Bull T with Nepalese writing on it do you?

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Father's Day weekend for the last 10 years or more:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VvL_bbVjR0

I am not the driver.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Anyone doing the CHUMP race this weekend want to share a pit stall with us?
It appears we have to double up.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
CHUMPCar Chumpionship 16hr race.
31st / 70
3:05 was the fastest lap of the day.
Laundry list of work to do on the car including head check and head gasket replacement.
Was a total blast and we are looking forward to April.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

This is less for the other guys since the team is based out of WI and most of

What team do you drive for?

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

User Error posted:

dl
Is anybody going to be at Road America for the Chumpcar race next month? We did a track day last weekend to shake the car down and test out the new suspension. Still needs a few things but we're looking forward to a good race free of mechanical problems.

Should be there. Low Farm Racing. #378.
Having trouble getting a gasket for our Beams Red top

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

Depends on the track, some will beat the poo poo out of you and the car while others are just a gentle rumble. I'd think floating the inside wheels over one would have a pretty minimal impact but running wide over bad ones (Road America) will absolutely punish you.

Speaking of road America - going to be there this weekend?
I won't be driving; just running crew again - wife wants a new kitchen.
#378 Low Farm Racing - stop by, ask for Zak.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

User Error posted:

I'll be there, #87 e36. It's looking like we'll get perfect racing weather. I'm pretty confident that we won't have so many stupid mechanical issues this time. I did a bunch of preventative maintenance over the winter. We also have good shocks and a functional muffler now.

"e36" or e36 at RA... we'll be waving to you, as you continue to lap us.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Well we are scrubbing out of the race this weekend for CHUMP - we'll be back this fall.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Phone posted:

I want to let you know that the comments said that you're basically worse than 10 Hitlers because you put everyone's lives at risk with your cracked windshield and also how it reflects the quality of work you may or may not have done on your car. Because faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart

Doesn't that go without saying on any Gawker site?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Our go pro got to record 4 hours of video out the back of a trailer this weekend after 12 laps.
Yeah to blown motors!

Details: 97 Beams red top. The VVTI cam trigger walked off the end of the crank and went for a little ride around the top end.
Skipped 3 teeth on timing and pushed over rounded out the pin that locks into the back of the cam phaser.
No bent valves or marred pistons that were detectable. Drill bit shank is the new pin, cut a bit longer.
Reset timing and put head back together. Put it back in and test fire motor where all appears to be good we just know we don't have VVTi.
We get 15 or so laps in on Sunday and phaser walks out of timing again. Oh well. Better luck next year with a new motor.