Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

nm posted:

The best track for Minnesota is actually Mid-America near Omaha in IA. There is basically nothing to run into (in true Iowa fashion is is actually in a cornfield).
I used these guys: http://www.findtheline.com/
Reasonably priced and the number of cars is very low. On Sunday you may be the only car on course and they very well may get rid of run groups because there's only 3 cars in the afternoon.
Blackhawk Farms (WI/IL border on 90) is one of my favorite courses, but it is slow and probably higher risk than most other courses. (Trees, little run off)

Another cheap option for a track car is a 1st gen Neon. No really. Though I guess good luck finding one that isn't all rust in the Midwest.

I enjoy Blackhawk Farms too. I didn't feel scared in my near stock 99 Cobra. Midwest Council does a lot of events there too. Mostly lapping days and High Speed Autocross which is fun. A friend of mine just broke the standing lap record there in his track evo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YB_ER2CQfK4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Funzo posted:

Cross-posting from the Awsome AI Stuff thread, because I forgot this was here.
I got to drive a Ferrari F430 around a track yesterday. I had never driven on a track before, and never driven any kind of performance car, so I was a little nervous it was going to get away from me. I was very, very slow, but I thought I managed the turns fairly smoothly. The sound out of that car is just amazing. It was one of those pay for 3 laps kind of things, at Blackhawk Farms in S. Beloit, IL. They also had a Porsche, an Audi R8 and a Lamborghini LP540 Performante. Here's the video if you want to cringe at my complete lack of speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITKQHvQN51o

It was really fun in any case. I might try and take my E90 down there when they have track days just so I can learn how to drive better.
I was also thinking of trying to find a Lemons/chumpcar team near me looking for eager but marginally skilled help.

Blackhawk Farms is a fun course, but can be dangerous if you go off of course due to trees. I've ran a 1:30 on semi-decent street tires on my mustang cobra at blackhawk. Turn 7 can be real nasty.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Octopus Magic posted:

drat you Kkkalifornia and your year 'round race driving season!

Here in WI we have year 'round race driving as well.
$20 for the day!

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

sig11 posted:

So jealous of you southerners and your never ending track season... though with a nice long Michigan winter I can save up for summer and work on my cars.

I've been doing HPDEs in my 370Z for the last few years and started building a SpecZ car out of a friend's wrecked 350Z for this year. I'm almost sad to be planning for SpecZ since I've been having so much fun working on it and it was pretty nicely modded before he put it in a tire wall at Mid-Ohio. Supposed to be finishing up an E30 for Chump/LeMons but no one seems to have time to work on it.

For some reason I never thought to look at AI for a racing thread. :V

There has to be a couple organizations that run ice races during the winter in Michigan. You can buy a cheap econobox and keep your driving skills sharp in the offseason. In Wisconsin there are Rallyx, wheel to wheel, and circle track races going on. Last year I used a $300 Sentra for rallyX. It's a great way to learn car control.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
That looks incredible.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Phone posted:

Buy a used race car; save a bunch of money.
Seconding this.
Look on the for sale forums of NASA and the like. Get something already built and that has been inspected. That would be the simplest way.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

jamal posted:

I actually know a guy that was in a rollover at the track with a cusco bolt in cage and swears up and down that it saved his life. Thing is, the OEM crash structure didn't even deform down far enough to contact the main hoop.

Or this happens.*

*Installed by a "professional shop". :psyduck:

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

TrueChaos posted:

Yeah, this guy who wasn't pointing by was running in an older, race prepped car, that he races wheel to wheel. He was running in the advanced group and was clearly just pissed about getting caught, especially by miata's it seemed. He was black flagged for not pointing by, and was asked to leave before the end of the day as a result.

In my experience it always seems like the wheel to wheel guys are usually a problem during lapping days. I usually have a friend of mine who has autox'd and done lapping days since 91 and has been at all of the tracks in the mid-west (Road America, Mid-Ohio, Gratten, Autobahn, etc.) and he rides with me for the first session at tracks that I haven't been before. This helps a poo poo load with him coaching me and showing me the correct line. As a result I can quickly build off of that and get progressively faster at a pretty good rate.

Often he points out at the horrible lines/bad braking that the wheel to wheel guys take. My friend is a big believer that a person should start off doing Autox and then work up from there. You can put a lot of what you learn in AutoX and apply it to big tracks. I think I'm much better prepared with three years of Autox under my belt, then if I just jumped into lapping days. From what I've seen and heard a lot of the wheel to wheel guys haven't done a lot of AutoX and/or look down on it which I think is a mistake.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Phone posted:

Autocross has its own issues, but I think that the progression from autocross to track days to wheel-to-wheel racing is probably the best for a self-financed enthusiast.

That was kind of my point that I really didn't get across or explain very well. At my local autox I can get 8-10+ plus runs which helps. I can't imagine wasting a day only getting 3 autox runs in so I can see were doing a chumpcar race would be much better in terms of dollar/experience per hour ratio. If you are only able to get 3 runs in for autox I'd rather just do lapping days then.

Then, again during the winter I do time attack/practice on a 1-2ish mile road course on frozen lakes. I probably spend 6+ hours on the weekends on the ice which isn't something the average enthusiast experiences. So my experience is different than most.

Weekend ice racing schedule:
Friday: 8PM-2AM practice
Saturday: 10AM-8PM practice
Sunday: 8AM-6PM timed runs ($25 to run)

There is also a circle track right next to the road course to practice on as well.

G-Mach fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 5, 2013

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

nm posted:

I actually think of all non-HPDE stuff, Ice did the most to make me a better track driver. Smooth means a whole different thing on ice.

I agree ice racing is a great benefit. Have some crappy video of me and not so crappy videos of some local ice racing.
These are videos of the shorter of the two courses. On another lake the course is over 2 miles. On regular winter tires I would be in 5th grear in full boost in the straights on the 2+ mile course. I'm typically in third and fourth on the shorter course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVArhegntmU

Here is a typical timed lap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDHKZ3msQsM

Practice laps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cipxMYCMqkk

Practice on the circle track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRDMyJLQjE0

Out of car video (with dubstep)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eptkR_Fxr-A

500HP EVO

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
Buy RS3s they are a great tire. I managed to get 3 track days (3+ hours of track time at Gingerman/Gratten/USAIR), 6 autoxs and 9,000 miles of driving with my STi on a set of RS3s this past year.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

TrueChaos posted:

200 treadware were already available, no?

They were already available in a limited amount of sizes last summer along with the 140TW ones.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
That picture of the passenger side of the GTO. The side is just crushed inward. (I'm not going to post the picture.)

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Phone posted:

Just drive the wheels off of something cheap and have fun.

This times a million. I've heard it countless times, "my car isn't ready for an autox or track it needs more horsepower,coilovers, bigger rims/tires, etc." I ran a F-stock 99 mustang cobra for years (with Hawk HP+ and a good street tire a Star Spec/RS3) and when I finally moved up to a ASP classed STi I am typically in the running for RAW FTD at Autox's that I attend. The secret? I went to every autox/HPDE/ice race that I could in my area and built up my skills. In the beginning you are always better off spending $5,000 on HPDE, autox, and drivers school than dropping the same amount on parts.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Devyl posted:

Just thought I'd swing by here and let any local/nearby Bowling Green AIers know that the NCM track will be opening on the 28th of this month. Lots of things going on the first three days, but on the 28th they're doing a free Chevy Ride N' Drive event from 10:00 a.m. to 3 p.m. It will also include one free lap around the track in a C7 Stingray via professional driver.

NCM looks amazing and will probably worth a trip from Wisconsin to Kentucky for me.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

sig11 posted:

They're darn near r-comps. :) I love those tires.

Hey, they are 200 TW now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

sig11 posted:

3Balls is the best track day group in the area. Low car counts for lots of track time and really laid back group. We camp at the tracks most of the time and usually drink too much when the track goes cold. http://3ballsracing.com

I did a track day with 3balls at Gratten a year ago and it was a great experience.