Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Hello thread so I've done the autocross thing and was looking at possibly doing a trackday or two through Track Night in America this year.
So far the things I'm pretty sure I need to get/update on my car ('17 WRX) is better brake fluid and pads. What other things should I look into improving for an event?

Currently the car is stock but with good tires.

What is the recommended brake fluid to upgrade to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Gigi Galli posted:

What tires do you have?

I got Pilot Super Sports at a good price at Costco so those are on currently. I don't drive much so they have 0 wear on them still. I also have gloves because I too am a sweaty person.
I'll take a look at Ferodos for pads.

Assuming I don't want to be a squeaky braker at all times would the right thing be to swap off/on the street pads before and after the event with the better race ones?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

All being well I should be going to my first PDX this Sunday at Homestead Speedway and I'm pretty excited. Hoping I don't mess it up too bad.

Anyone ever use a racing sim to prepare for a track? It's not that crazy a thing to do right?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I survived my first track day and now I'm really good at pointing people by.

About how long would you guys say it takes for it to be safe to leave put the parking brake on again?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Phone posted:

Did you have a good time?

30 minutes or so. Just park the car in gear or get a wheel chock to keep in your paddock spot.

I pull the handbrake on the ND after autocross runs and you can clearly see where the pad was on the rotor afterwards. :x

I definitely had fun and will do it again hopefully. Ended up using wheel chocks and let the car sit for two hours in my parking space at home.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Larrymer posted:

How far is your drive to the track? while driving they will cool off pretty quick so don't get too paranoid. Coming off a hot track, yeah don't use it but if you're driving home and am on the highway for even a few minutes you're probably fine.

It's about an hour drive back I was just concerned because the pedal still felt a little squishy.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

WRX with Hawk Street/Race pads. Still had the stock fluid but that will be swapped out soon now.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Phone posted:

Yeah, definitely the fluid. I wouldn't be surprised if you cracked the bleeder and was sucking air for a while.

What track? The WRX gets up to speed quite fast and you put exponentially more heat into the system when you're braking from 120+ mph. A lot of local guys who are doing laps in their Mustangs or Corvettes usually opt to coast after 135 because braking at 135-140 gives them double the pad life than braking from 150+.

Homestead-Miami Speedway, configuration A I believe. No NASCAR high banking for me but you get two really fast left hand turn ins that you don't lift for and it was a test of courage for me.

I didn't get it to too high speeds since I'm still a novice on track so the hardest braking I did was probably in the 80-90 mph range down to about 30-40 mph or so.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Is Harry's Lap Timer any better/worse than RaceChrono for Android? Looking to get some simple timing and maybe some additional data if possible.

Does the GoPro integration work well with Harry's? I've read mixed reviews on other forums.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I already have the GoPro so :shrug:

I'll try the free version of each I guess.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I was looking at something to keep me snug for autocross and occasional track use and came across the CG Lock. Since it's a daily driver I can't really install a harness and rollcage and this seems like a good option. Anyone use the CG Lock before or have opinions on them?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

That's a first for me.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

mekilljoydammit posted:

Think of vented rotors as pumps - they want to feed from the inside and sling air to the outside. Working with that helps, fighting that helps less.

*edit* http://fiestast.net/threads/my-brake-ducts-build.2251/ looks pretty reasonable - ideal world you want to have a sealed thing against the middle of the rotor instead of the hose pointing at it, but we don't live in the ideal world.

I always want to be more racecar and now I want this. I love functionality.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

NitroSpazzz posted:

I've tracked a daily driver and daily drove a track car...neither are fun after a while. If you have the space, at home or at a storage unit, I highly recommend the dedicated track car route. Fully Spec e30/36/e46/miata car can be had for very little and most of them will be much cheaper on consumables to run. An additional huge upside to this is a full cage, solid race seats and a harness which lets you use a HANS/NEXGEN/etc. I personally won't get on track without that stuff anymore.

Hell if you like the 1 series chassis there's got to be a few track cars available.

What was your main gripe with tracking a daily driver?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

BlackMK4 posted:

It's a compromise.

You end up needing a second set of wheels because tires do noticeably fall off when you street drive them (and that poo poo is expensive when they last 5 days as-is)
You end up needing to prep / de-prep the car every event -- swapping pads and maybe rotors, depending on the compounds you're using and the fucks you give
You need to worry about being able to drive the car to work Monday
You're limited safety wise as you can't just add a roll bar, cage, or fixed back seat to a street car safely

Makes sense. I only really do the occasional track night event so I'm not all that experienced yet and feel the need for more serious setups.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

This is a good place to ask. I spent some time on a track this past weekend and was trying out RaceChrono for Android. It's only the free version but I noticed I can export to .vbo format. What's a good program to take this data and make some sense of it and see how to improve and stuff?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Phone posted:

Did you have an external GPS hooked up to it?

If you didn't, then the only data worth looking at is lap times.

Yeah it was just the phone GPS. But assuming I upgraded and had an external GPS what would your recommendation be?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Anyone have a recommendation for a not too expensive (sub-$100 preferably) external GPS to use with my phone? It would be for the occasional track day and autocross.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

BlackMK4 posted:

The first question here is Android or IOS?

Android, should've said that first oops. Looking around the XGPS150A seems to be ok?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Would one of those infrared thermometers laser things be useful at all at a track day?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I saw a cheap one at Harbor Freight and was trying to make up a reason to get one but I don't really need it.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

KidDynamite posted:

They are not. They were bought by DeMonte racing and DeMonte is running with the well known Skip Barber name. They even do crazy poo poo like helicopter you from Manhattan to NJMP. They’re using Mustangs as the track vehicle. I did a day with DeMonte and those Mustangs are bad rear end.

poo poo that sounds badass.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

So this is kind of a general question but maybe your experiences can guide me in the right direction.

If I'm coming out of a slowish corner to a straight where I can either be way up top of second or low third gear on exit what is the best choice? Part of me thinks second but WRX is decently torquey that bottom of third is not too bad either.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Gigi Galli posted:

How low rpm in third are we talking here? In mine anything below 3.5k I'd probably want to stay in second.

Maybe like 4k or so? Can't really remember too accurately but it's not crazy low.

I'll pay for RaceChrono and see what the result is from that.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

What's the website that sells used racecars in the US?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Thanks, race-cars.com was it. I was b-spec dreaming...

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

One of the tips given to me when I first started autocrossing was to just focus on getting a time, meaning to learn how to read the course and not get an off course. After that it's just a matter of getting better. Get an instructor to ride along with you or have them do a run with you in your car.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I meant to show this earlier, check out the finish for the autocross I was on the other day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbcrPfWQsis

I have been told it'll be better next event.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I've started considering karting as a cheaper way to do racing lately. Curious if anyone itt has experience with them.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

OhsH posted:

Buy a lo206 if you dont wanna deal with rebuilds and a kt100 if you do but dont want to spend 1200 on a top end rebuild every 10 hours vs a 125 tag.

I also may have a kt100 race ready kart for sale around 1500ish in the columbus ohio area very soon. :henget:

Also feel free to pm me and i will try to answer any questions.

So LO206's don't need rebuilds often but when they do it's expensive?

If you have a good link to some basics stuff for adult class racers that would be greatly appreciated. :)

Do you really need a trailer or can you fit them in the trunk of a car?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Let me know if I have this right please.

Going through a right turn more of the cars weight is going to be on the left side. So on a course with mostly right turns you're best off airing up the front left a little more than the front right?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I was looking at a separate set of wheels dedicated to autocross and occasional hpde/track events and was looking at pricey stuff on Tire Rack when I saw a set of stock wheels for my car for very cheap. So here's a question I've been mulling over, is wheel weight going to be a big enough factor in autocross to go the more expensive route?
The weight difference between say, RPF-1's and a stock WRX wheel is about 7 pounds or so each which is a 28 lb difference. It seems significant but if I'm putting RE-71R's on them anyways does it really matter all that much what wheel it goes on?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

e: Wrong thread.

net work error fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 18, 2019

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Wrong thread my bad!

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

What is everyone using to speed up bleeding? I've heard of speedbleeders and the Motive power bleeder so I was wondering if there was something else that was good.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The unexpected cars are always the crowd favorites at an autocross. One of my fond autocross memories is seeing a Prius going nuts on the course.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

It came up in a conversation I was having so I looked up cg-locks again and while I have one already it looks like the company that made them went under so unless you buy NOS or a used one there's not really anything that is equivalent you could buy. Any other options for a similar system when using a factory 3-point?
I briefly looked at the Schroth QuickFit but if you are using a 4-point harness you should probably also use a HANS as well right?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Professor Spatula posted:

Looking forward to my first HPDE session at Daytona this weekend!

Is it the full course?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Is that the one that was on sale at the lotus dealer in Florida?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Steely Dad posted:

I went to an autocross event yesterday where they charged about a hundred bucks, but there was no course work required and we got literally dozens of runs. Is this common? It makes way more sense to me than paying $30 but having to commit to being there all day, work the course, and only getting a couple of runs.

They do that at a local kart track here but it's like $60 or so. Getting to get a bunch of runs in and not work is definitely very cool.