Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ganondork
Dec 26, 2012

Ganondork
Question for the track day experts: can you recommend a tire for HPDE/autocross/ backroads driving?

I own a E46 M3 that I’m looking to start tracking this spring, but at the most amateur level: HPDE w/ instructor. I’d like to continue auto crossing and ripping around backroads as well, so an all around performance tire would be best. I’ve considered the Michelin PS4S, but had some friends recommend the Dunlop Direzza instead. Curious to know the thoughts of those that have made the rounds between tires.

Generally, my biggest concern is breakaway characteristics, as I don’t need to be kissing any barriers so soon. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganondork
Dec 26, 2012

Ganondork
Sup dood!

@TrueChaos I saw that the RS4’s had a similar performance profile. I’ll have a deeper look into them at some point.

I also picked up a full Status Gruppe exhaust during their Christmas sale. Really excited for the warmer months to come!

Ganondork
Dec 26, 2012

Ganondork
At this point, it’s between the PS4S and the Dunlop Direzza ZIII. Many friends recommend the Direzza, and one had the PS4S, but didn’t like them. I think they would lose grip faster than he was used to.

Ganondork
Dec 26, 2012

Ganondork
@Residency - Definitely give the track some serious consideration. Like an rear end, my first “track day” was the Nurburgring. Wife was preggers with the little one, and was willing to check a few boxes off the bucket list with me. Went to Spa for an F1 race, and then drove to the Nurburgring and drove 4 laps. Those 4 laps were the best vacation plans I’ve ever made. My only regret is not forcing myself to train more in the sims to learn the track.

All that said, driving a track is a far more exhilarating experience than autoX. AutoX is lots of fun, but the track is something else.

Ganondork
Dec 26, 2012

Ganondork
You all catch this one? What a poo poo show

https://www.thedrive.com/news/33607/toronto-motorsports-parks-first-post-lockdown-track-day-ends-in-crashes-punches-fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganondork
Dec 26, 2012

Ganondork
Lol, was that a WRX that understeered into the hay bales? Guess he should have saved up for some sway bars, those things understeer so bad.