Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Dave Inc. posted:

Don't worry about people razzing you for your car, there's a lot of junk at autocrosses and everyone is just there to have fun. My first time out was in a first gen Dodge Neon with peeling paint and a leaking headgasket, so you'll be fine. :)

Truer words were never spoken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
There is/was a club called “Touge” that ran there. I went once, in the rain, and driving standards were abysmal. Also helmets optional unless you had a convertible.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

track day bro! posted:

Anyone here used Project MU RC09's? I checked my pads while doing some other stuff on the car and my carbotechs are pretty much done.

I've got a bit of annoying situation because my front caliper takes a wilwood dynalite 7112 pad and 94 mr2 rear, so my choices are a bit limited. I was also thinking about porterfield R4's

I may just go with the carbotech again because the local supplier is pretty good, but it would be nice to have a pad that didn't dust up as badly as the carbotechs do.

This is running on Toyo R888R's

I use RC09s on my MR2. I had XP8s before (a good pad) but the RC09s seem to put up with heat much better and have good bite. They dust pretty badly though and are noisy at low speeds, and will chew up rotors.

I've heard great things about G-Loc R8s. From what I understand they are very similar to the XP8 but are easier on rotors and less dusty and noisy.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
How are the new Dunlop Star Spec 3s?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Anybody tried R888Rs?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

BlackMK4 posted:

RE71Rs are made of pure chetonium, they are basically a rcomp with a 200tw label stuck on it for class reasons. Yes, they are better. In a narrow range they are quicker than some of the 100TW tires.

Yeah. Mine were toast after 6 track days.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Typ 200 is good. I use Project Mu lines on my MR2 and I have no complaints.

I use RC09 pads from the same company. They are great but absolutely chew up rotors.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
What’s the word on Direzza Star Spec Z3s?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
How are they wearing? I love the RE71R but their lifespan is very short.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I had my alignment settings changed and it fixed my RE71R tire wear issues. I feel extremely stupid, yet relieved.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
It might be “Touge” or one of its successors. I attended one of their events approximately one time and it contained the worst driving standards I’ve ever seen. It was wet so every driver was spinning off.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

KillHour posted:

TMP is the closest track to me and I went there precisely once. The only time you would see me on that track is if I had the whole place to myself. And even then, I don't trust their emergency response.

CSCS and OTA run good events there if you don’t mind paying more.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

TrueChaos posted:

That event was run directly by the track.

They have one guy who's the only marshal, group assigner, waiver checker, tech inspector, tow truck driver, fire fighter, drivers meeting conductor (hint - this never happens!) and apparently boxing referee. He also doesn't have the authority to kick someone out.

Jesus Christ.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Crustashio posted:

Ah, TMP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vreUlIu3-x4

I've heard so many stories about the lapping days some orgs run in ontario. No marshals, no rescue, no helmets, no licensing, etc. I'm pretty happy about how we run things in NS, at least for our local orgs track days. Licensing and time with an instructor required. And we will not hesitate to black flag and sometimes end someone's day.

CSCS is much better now.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Double Post.

Frond fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 23, 2020

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Sadi posted:

Does anyone have a favorite street pad that stands up to mountain driving? I have stock pads on my Civic Si and faded them to hell. I’ve had the HPS and HP+ on my Miata in the past and liked neither. The HPS didn’t feel like it had the modulation of the OEM pads or much higher of a temp tolerance, and the HP+ was dusty, loud, and only lasted like two track days.

Endless MX72’s are good, but pricey.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

I did this with my RE71s and inexplicably went faster. Perhaps that says more about my driving consistency in general but I was surprised.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

SlapActionJackson posted:

Cota is hard on the brakes, kids

Also, don't be a dumbass like me and run your brake pads all the way down to the backing plate and then some

Whoa.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I had 215/40ZR17 A052’s on my 86 (stock wheels) - they don’t fall off as badly as the RE71Rs. Keep in mind they WILL delaminate very quickly if you are only running mild camber (I just had bolts on the front - nothing else.) and they like wider wheels too. The 215 was definitely wider than the 225/45/R17 RE71R I had before.

I bought 9” Wedssports, pedder top hats, and rear camber arms for next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I’m told ~3 degrees up front is what is ideal.

Keep in mind my car is outside of front camber bolts is stock currently, which likely exacerbated the issue along with narrow 7” wheels.