Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Does anyone know of any track day clubs that have groups for formula cars in Washington? Since I don't have a racing license it's looking like I can only run my car at autocross but I'd like to do some higher speed testing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I took my formula 500 car to the late night drags at Portland raceway on Friday. My Fastest run was a 12.442 @ 101.86mph. My reaction times were pretty terrible since I wasn't sure how to time the lights with the centrifugal clutch engagement on the CVT. I had a lot of people asking me about the car while I was there. It seemed like everyone was pretty interested in seeing it run, even the guys running the track. It was pretty fun but I doubt I'll be taking it to the strip again since it's not made for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9WmD7y6_nE

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

c355n4 posted:

This is loving awesome.

Thanks, it was pretty awesome to try running at a drag strip for the first time.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

the spyder posted:

Where do you normally run? It's been ages since I went drag racing at PIR.

I've been autocrossing it in Bremerton and Shelton this season. I'll be getting my SCCA competition license at the start of next season. Then I'll be road racing at PIR, The Ridge, and possibly Pacific Raceways.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

BraveUlysses posted:

That autocross "track" in shelton at the airport is pure garbage.

Yeah, the surface is falling apart. I like running with WWSCC though. I don't make it out the the BSCC events much anymore.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Do any of you guys have experience with the NecksGen Rev? I have to get a head and neck restraint to be able to race my formula 500 car. It seems like it would be better than an adjustable HANS device. Being cheaper with the new lemons $100 rebate helps too.

In other news. I got signed off for my SCCA novice permit last friday. :dance: It was pretty fun at Portland International Raceway but tiring driving my car for 3-4hrs on track throughout the day. The rain was ridiculous at times but I only spun out 8 times. Even with my hoosier wets I barely had any grip since my car is so light(800lbs with me in it).

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

c355n4 posted:

I use a NecksGen Rev and I prefer it over the equivalently priced HANs. I can't speak for the newer/fancier HANS models; but, compared to the Sport it is a bit nicer. The biggest thing that I notice is that 3" belts seem to just sit into place better on the NecksGen when you are buckling in.

Do you have any specific questions about it?

Grats on the SCCA novice permit!

Thanks for the info. I've decided on getting the NecksGen Rev. It seems like it will be better than the adjustable HANS since there is nothing to adjust for different seating positions. That will be good for going from the F500 car to the lemons car. Saving some cash on it will be a bonus too. It might actually allow me one more race weekend this season.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Don't forget that you can change dampers too. Koni sports are typically what people go with.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Is anyone else doing the Lemons race at The Ridge this weekend? I'll be out there in the Burger World Integra. Some of my friends will be out for their first race in their freshly built 944. I hope it lasts long enough for all of them to get a chance to drive it.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I had my first SCCA race weekend on the 9th and 10th at The Ridge. It went pretty well and I had a great time. Everyone at the track was super nice and helpful too. My girlfriend came with me and helped me out a ton by being my pit crew for the weekend. She would help me get buckled in the car, rip the pull starter, and help prep between sessions. It definitely minimized the stress level for the weekend. I also made a 2 part foam seat insert that she helped me with. That made an enormous difference when driving the car. I was sliding around in the car before so it was impossible to get comfortable and feel whats going on with the car. With the insert I was able to focus on the driving and push the car more. I only had one spin the whole weekend coming into the ridge complex. I tried to brake a little later since I felt like I was braking to early everywhere. I ended up braking too late and was still on them into the turn, which doesn't work too well with a solid rear axle. The only issue I had all weekend was on the last race on sunday. On the Second lap I noticed that the engine wasn't revving up all the way to 7400rpm like it had been all weekend, it was now sticking at 6800. So I was really down on power. Then coming around turn 11 I lost power and the engine sounded like poo poo. I checked my guages and saw that my left cylinder was at 200F and the right one was 1150F like normal. So that ended my race but I was able to drive it back to my pit on the one cylinder that was left. I'm hoping I either fouled a plug or the floats got stuck in the carb. The compression was the same on both when I checked it last weekend.

With how much fun I had racing my own car I decided that I'm done doing Lemons races for awhile. The costs ended up being about the same since I only had to pay the entry fee and fuel. I also didn't have to deal with driver changes or even finding drivers for that matter. I got a bit less seat time than I would get on a 4 person team but about the same as a 5 person team. I'll probably still crew for my friends at lemons if they race at the ridge since it's close by though.

I didn't get much good footage since some people are terrible at getting usuable video. My JVC Adixxion wouldn't record anything and would eventually shut off too. I'm not sure why it wasn't getting anything since it would show that it's recording when I'd leave the pits. I'm wondering if there was just too much vibration or if the camera is damaged somehow. I'll have to see what the other F500 guys are using for video. My dad got some aerial footage with his DJI Vision quadcopter that I'll get from him this weekend. All sorts of people would come and ask him about the quadcopter when he'd fly it around. I was really impressed with it. Anyways I only have one short clip so far and no pictures. I'm going to see if I can get in contact with the photographer that was at the track for some good pictures.

http://youtu.be/YfJkImHKMKo?list=UUVQnAkQs9rte9dKmL7jB2kw

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Or do what I did. Get a car in a class that no one races in and set a track record at a new track during your first race weekend. I also always win my class of 1 at autocross.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

VelociBacon posted:

Pacific raceway July 16th, The Ridge raceway July 17th, SCCA Pro Solo July 18-19th. Anyone going to these?

I may be at The Ridge on the 18th and 19th. I'm going to see about running a friends Spec Miata in ITA so I can finish out my novice license.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I picked up a Spec Miata in Reno 2 weeks ago for $5k and raced it last weekend at The Ridge in Shelton, WA. It's a 1.6 that came with 2 sets of wheels with toyos on them. It also has a Sparco ADV seat, racepak G2X data logger with predictive lap timing (need to learn how to use the timer), SPX intake and some exhaust system that I can't remember who made it. I ran in ITA and only got last by .5s. I was also about 6s off the midpack SM pace. I think it was pretty good for a first outting and having my seat too far back. I'm extremely happy with the car. It's much easier in every way than my F500 car. I want to get it painted up and redo all the decals before next season. White is just boring and some of the decals are messed up at the very least.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Haha, it will be a long time before I get a pro motor built. So far I'm at the back of the pack in the 3 miata ITA group I was in but I'll be happy with being mid pack. The next race at PIR I think I should be closer to mid pack with having my seat in the correct position and SM7's in place of the used up Toyo RA-1s. So far I've had more fun with it than I had with my formula car.

Comrade Flynn posted:

Whoa. Any chance I can come out with you some time and drive some laps? I've been considering buying a track car specifically for The Ridge.

Sure. I told a couple friends they could run in ITA next season while I run in SM, they just need their SCCA licenses. I haven't worked out the best way to split costs yet though.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

Comrade Flynn posted:

Let me know. You could do a lap in the Lambo but it probably wouldn't be very exciting.

Are you just looking to do track days? I pretty much only go to race events. They do have time trials at some of the events though.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Are any PNW goons going to the Portland triple regional next weekend? I'll be there for saturday and sunday in the spec miata.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

Aurune posted:

Agreed. If you have 6 seconds to the mid-pack having 5 - 10 extra HP will shave some of that time off. However, you'll gain far more spending the 15k on loads of track time. Then went tenths start counting, care about stickers for qualifying and a built motor.

I've got some 2 year old sticker tires I got for cheap and look to be in fine shape. I also just put on the 2 heat cycle old tires I got with the stickers in preparation for next weekend. They should be faster than my nearly used up Toyos. Even with those I know I'm already faster than some of the back marker cars based off of lap times. As long as I'm not last I'll be happy though.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I did a track day with Oxbrain at The Ridge Motorsports park on Saturday to shake down my spec miata. It was a pretty fun day and got quicker the more I got used to the car. I still need to find a few seconds to be able to stick with the midpack guys around here. I definitely need to go through the shifter turret since I had some issues shifting into 3rd and general notchyness in other gears.

Here it is with it's new paint job. I'll get my decals on by next week. I'm trying to decide if I should paint the windshield frame and hardtop red as well. I'll probably just leave it white for the rest of the season though.

I got some in car video. This is the last and fastest session of the day. I also get passed by a ridiculous ACR Viper on the 2nd or 3rd lap. Feel free to comment on my lovely lines and what I can do about them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeIjtf0DL4g

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

Ziploc posted:

These are good suggestions. But I was looking for brand recommendations.

I have Autometer Ultra-lite gauges for water temp and oil pressure in my spec miata. They seem to work pretty well. The water temp sensor is Tee'd into the coolant hose that goes to the back of the head and the oil sensor is on a remote T with the stock sensor.

https://amzn.com/B0009RSYCU

https://amzn.com/B00062YXI2

NinjaTech fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 25, 2016

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I haven't tracked any motorcycles but have owned several and currently race a spec miata. I would think the biggest difference would be towing requirements, speed, safety equipment and maintenance costs. I've heard that the transition to driving a car on the track is pretty easy though.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
So I got my new to me and resealed engine in my spec miata and everything buttoned up for the race weekend yesterday. Fired up the engine to warm it up then do an oil change to the good oil, loving thing is ticking then starts knocking. So there goes my race weekend and possibly my short 3 race season I was planning. I'm going to call the local (3hrs away) "pro" engine builder on tuesday about a bottom end rebuild and checking out or rebuilding the head too. Hopefully it won't be crazy expensive. Otherwise It's $6500 for a pro motor next year but that should last a few years.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Have any of you guys broken an engine in on a track only car during a race weekend? I got my engine built by Loying's in Portland, OR for my Spec Miata. I got it installed this weekend, ran Rotella T4 while it warmed up to bleed coolant and set the timing. I changed the oil after that with Rotella T4 again but can't drive the car on the street. I'm figuring my only option is to take it easy on Saturday and change the oil during lunch and at the end of the day. I'm hoping I can run it at full race pace on Sunday.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

mekilljoydammit posted:

I agree with NitroSpazzz that a plan like that should be fine, but if you had Loynings build it, I'd give them a call to get their opinion.

I'll give them a call, it's hard to get a hold of them a lot though. Also hard to understand Arnie Loyning since he's like 100 and still running the place. haha. So far I think they did really good work but their lack of communication or saying anything about breaking the engine in is pretty annoying.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

mekilljoydammit posted:

Well, they might've already done so on the dyno too.

I know that didn't happen since they built the head and bottom end separately to keep costs down for me. So I put the head on the block and all the accessories. Otherwise it would have been around $4k vs $2200. Pretty good deal for a "pro" build though. I'm hoping it will help me get close to the front of the mid pack next season. I was doing pretty good with a sick engine before. It's just a bummer that this weekend is the last race weekend of the season for the PNW.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I think that depends if you get protested. When the top 10 SM cars had the heads off it was because someone had the money to protest all of them. The only time I was written up for non compliance was when I went over the scales 15lbs too light in my Formula 500 car with no way to add ballast. I think that was just from having to teach a novice a lesson since I was the only F5 out there.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I attended a Track Night in America event at Pacific raceways last Friday. Two of my friends were driving in it and I was just checking out how much of a poo poo show it was. There were a few crashes, all in the novice group. The lack of instruction seems crazy to me. My friend that showed up early said there was barely a drivers meeting too. The posted event hours are also pretty misleading, the website said 3-9pm but it's more like 5-7pm according to the schedule printout at the track. Luckily no one was hurt, even the kid that got out of his car to check his wheels on track.

This one happened right in front of me. The wall was straight before he hit it.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

BlackMK4 posted:

How is the Seattle (more like Tacoma) area in terms of track stuff, anyway? Within a 3-4hr driving range.

The Seattle area (PNW?) is pretty good for tracks. Pacific raceways is about 30mins away, The Ridge is 1.5hrs, and Portland is about 3hrs. Further out is Mission in BC, Spokane raceway, and Oregon raceway park. There's various circle tracks around too. Evergreen speedway is 30-40mins away to see Formula D and I think they had global rally cross last year.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

BlackMK4 posted:

Excellent. :) Maybe this won't be so bad then.

I have a weird question, is there a head and neck restraint that places less force on your collar bones when strapped in? I have a Schroth Evo right now and I broke a collar bone in the past which is now a fat lump of bone, it would be nice if there was something that didn't push so fuckin hard on it. Very liveable right now, but if there is an alternative...

I use a Necksgen, Lemons was having discount on them when I got it. I could switch between my formula car and a production car easily. The HANS device that was adjustable would have been 3x the price and is more bulky. I've been pretty happy with it and it just sits on top of your shoulders.
https://www.necksgen.com/

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I have a Coolshirt brand shirt and a Donjoy Iceman cooler since it uses the same connections and theyre super cheap on ebay for used ones. I will say that I had my pump break this weekend from it coming unstrapped in the car and crashing around.

Aside from the cooler I had a great race weekend at the Rose Cup at Portland Raceway. I was in the Spec Miata class as a supporting race for the Pirelli World Challenge. I started the weekend in 29th out of 35 cars and the last race I ended in 20th out of 30. My fastest lap was a mid 1:34 in 97F heat with tires that had 17 heat cycles on them. The 1st place guy was doing low 1:31's and he was the only one that lapped me in the 40 minute race.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

mekilljoydammit posted:

Cool, man! I don't imagine people in a support race for a pro weekend are going to be slower SM racers either.

Yeah, I heard that a couple are SM champs. I think I could be upper mid pack with a little better setup, fresh tires, and more seat time. We also had Spec racer fords, Vintage cars, and the local Great American Stockcar Series.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

NitroSpazzz posted:

Wait, what? http://gasstv.com/ oh that's cool

Nice work on the great weekend

Thanks!

I just got my on board video uploaded. The start was pretty exciting with people going 4 wide into turn 1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndkj4VtNu-w

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
If anyone is going to be at the Lemons race at The Ridge this weekend, I'll be in the #88 Brawndo car. It's been 5 years since we race it last. It should be pretty fun with the upgrades and repairs we've done since then.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

BlackMK4 posted:

What orgs run in the PacNW? Looks like I have a firm timeline on moving to Washington -- July 2020 :v:

It's just SCCA and you'll mostly be racing in Portland since NWR SCCA has only had a Majors event the last couple of years. ORSCCA is much more active.

Also, If anyone is interested. I'm selling my 1.6 Spec Miata. I've also got a Formula 500 car if anyone wants a serious project.

Edit: I forgot that there's also ICSCC for non national club racing. https://www.icscc.com/

NinjaTech fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 10, 2019

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

honda whisperer posted:

Got pics and details? I know some people who might be interested. Probably not but I can forward it on to them.

It's a 1990, has 2 weekends on a Loying's built engine. Needs the new Penske shocks for next season. The body is a little banged up from the PO but there's no structural damage anywhere. Comes with a set of unmounted sticker rains, used drys, 1 sticker tire I won in a raffle and 2 spare wheels. The data logger is a Racepak G2X, I've never used the data logging part of it but the digital dash and gps lap timer are great. I'm looking to get $7000 for it but willing to negotiate. It's been a really good fun car.

https://imgur.com/a/s6gFeni

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

honda whisperer posted:

Forwarded, if anything comes of it I'll let you know.

Edit: rough location?

Thanks, I appreciate it. It's in Renton, WA. Oh, I messed up. It's actually got 2 sets of drys that are mounted, so one of those sets could be used for the wet tires.

NinjaTech fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 10, 2019

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
They have SCCA time trials but the group was pretty small last time my friend ran his K24 CRX in it.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
You only really need 2nd gear in most cars for autocross anyway.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I was doing oil changes every other race weekend on a fresh engine with Redline 30WT in my 1.6 Spec Miata. Samples always reported very good levels when i got them tested.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I recently did a Track Night at Portland International Raceway. It was the first time having my Suzuki Cappuccino out on a track and it was a ton of a fun even if I had the slowest car in the Advanced group. I do have a bit to do to make the car better on the track. The main thing is raising my front ride height since I was scraping the inside of the wheel wells on some tighter turns and the liner is worn away now. That part sucks since you can't get them anymore. I also need to make a better seat slider setup since it was moving a lot. I also could have been braking much later but I was kind of taking it easy for my first event in it. Overall it was a good event and it seems run a lot better than previous ones I've spectated at. I also ran into one of my friends that races in Formula 500, so it was awesome to catch up after 3 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUCPU6AjsfY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

BlackMK4 posted:

Have they finally fixed the broken stabilization that pans to the outside of corners?

No, and the app is worse than it used to be.

Got my best lap from Tuesdays Track Night at The Ridge. Crappy GoPro Hero8 footage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaznsrHHLtg

Also for previous Hans device chat. I've been using a Necksgen for years and haven't had any issues with it. It's also great if you swap between a formula car and production cars like I used to.

NinjaTech fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 15, 2022