Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

j3rkstore posted:

If you don't have a cage or roll bar I would advise against a fixed-back seat or harnesses. In my opinion its an all-or-nothing package for both passenger AND driver and yes that means it is expensive.

You should be able to find reclining seats that hold you in place better.

That's retarded and you are being a safety ninny. Do you also believe that SFi belts are totally worthless after 3 years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

drat you Kkkalifornia and your year 'round race driving season!

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I've got my schedule for the year:

http://www.comscc.org/events/

Too bad I'm probably just doing the NHMS events because I don't really want to drive 6+ hours without a tow vehicle :smith:

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

aventari posted:

Yeah this is what I would do. A set of good pads should be <$100 and that's a hell of a lot cheaper than going off track and bending something.

I wish a full set of good pads was less than 100 for the 4 pot evo brakes...! poo poo, not even for my old 2 pot dsm brakes was under 100 for the fronts alone. What kind of pads run that cheap....? Certainly nothing that hold up to heat on a car thats >3000lbs

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

jamal posted:

Stoptechs are probably the only thing that cheap. Can handle a track day if you have big brakes. A friend of mine used them at streets of willow in his R33 and said they worked well enough.

Otherwise you want a DS3000, DTC-60, CL6, etc.

So were they basically on the backing plates at the end of the day? I find it hard to believe that pads that cheap could handle that much heat without breaking apart by the end of the day.

(unless he was going slow)

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

What's your budget? Porterfield does a front Z06 setup for around 250-300ish depending on compound:

http://porterfield-brakes.com/product_info.php?productID=2470

(I blew way too much on my brakepads for my car just recently :()

Octopus Magic fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 7, 2013

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

You can run race pads on the street, but they like to eat rotors/squeal/not brake too well at first.

If you can swap, swap them.

Also some pads have some mean brake dust that can eat wheel finishes.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

parid posted:

That's what ChumpCars are for. So much less drama when that one gets put in the wall. I have a lot more fun driving this pile of junk at 9/10ths and occasionally running out of talent and go 11/10ths than if I were to baby my nice car around at 7/10's all day.

Chumpcars means you have to have a trailer, a tow vehicle, a trailer, and all those necessities that are required for having an actual racecar, to which I might say if you're going to that extreme, you might as well get an SCCA car/NASA/what have you.

I might be passing too much judgement on the 500 dollar race car concept, but I like a nice car and the engineering behind it as well.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I guess i'm lucky in of the fact that I don't drive to work/see people/etc, I zipcar/zipvan when I need to actually do the dumb stuff of using a car, my car is completely and totally extraneous and a money pit I keep around to drive on the track only.

I think it's a thing that I like having some pride in my car a little more than some of the (totally admitted) heaps I've seen at Lemons/Chump events (no offense intended, it's just not my bag).

Octopus Magic fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 13, 2013

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Has anyone used Takata belts? I'm thinking about picking up a set but I've never actually been in a car with them. Or seen a car in person with them.

They're nice but they're overpriced unless you really have a thing for Takata.

You can get a set of G Force (although g force is like, super budget)/Team Tech/HPI or even Willans harnesses for 200-100 dollars less with the same certification.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Latch and link sucks though. I'd rather spend the extra bucks and do camlock any day of the week.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

DJ Commie posted:

I forgot to mention my Racequip is a camlock, making it a better deal in the end. I could go either way if one is better than the other.

I don't want to screw with the Racequip dude here!

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I didn't know that any Oakley clothing was actually ever made in the US.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Anyone going to be at NHMS June 1st/2nd with COM?

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

When's signup? I'm thinking about doing something since I got the PSS put on and haven't been able to sell the car.

Now! :)

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Voltage posted:

This is the one I'm getting, is it not safe? .

Is it possible to run belts without getting new seats? - I just don't want to be bumped out of the the stock solo class.

That thing is a turd sandwich and worthless.

MomJeans420 posted:

MY Z has 120k miles on it and a lot of the bushings are shot. Nissan doesn't make replacements, they want you to buy new compression rods/etc, so I was looking at aftermarket replacement bushings. Whiteline makes a full set, and SPL makes spherical bearings to replace some of the bushings. Ignoring NVH issues, are there any positives/negatives over going with spherical bearings over polyurethane bushings? The consensus on the Z forums is that the SPL bearings are better replacements for certain pieces, like the compression rod bushing.

I'm wondering if the wear will be drastically accelerated on the spherical bearings over poly bushings, or if there's potential problems I'm not aware of. My car is stock ride height, FWIW. I figured the track day thread would have more experience regarding these issues.

One of the concerns is if you're going to be doing spherical bearings is that if you're going to do one, you gotta do them all, or you're going to be putting even more stress on the other remaining rubber joints. Z's run a multilink front iirc, right?

Octopus Magic fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 25, 2013

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I'm finally getting some Endless ME20 in. Hopefully they'll be worth the incredible wait time that I've had.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I had no idea that Limerock was having an event otherwise I totally would've signed up. :gonk: :gonk: :gonk: I love driving Limerock and it's one of the few local tracks close to me that really lets my car rip vs. NHIS. Darn.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

350 dollars though, I'm paying 400 for a full weekend at NHIS ... :\

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Autocross is too uptight for me.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Voltage posted:

I only got in 3 ~35 second runs at my last autoX, it was fun but holy poo poo what a major waste of time most of the day was. Just waiting and organizing and setting up and working the track and helping on the 'grid' all for less than 2 minutes of wheel time. Also got badly sunburned :supaburn: . I like it, but I seriously need to get to a track, it's really dissapointing I can't go to most tracks in the northeast without a full rollcage in my Miata. I should get a pre-built spec miata or an E30...

Less than two minutes of track time and you get to shag cones for the rest of the afternoon and bake on the blacktop. Nice

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Hey, it was good seeing you up there! I tried finding you at the end of the day to say goodbye but you must've gone to the bathroom. Hope to see you in October or earlier. :)

Here's my report: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3451339&pagenumber=14#post417056032

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

nm posted:

Never been there, but it is a legend. I've heard the surface is fairly rough.

to be fair pretty much any track where it freezes on a regular basis is rough.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

rotard posted:

anyone (besides me) doing the scda nhms event on sept 30th? its my first track event, done only autox thus far. I'll be there in my 05 sti

295 per day? I get two days with COM for 400!

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Anyone doing COM in October? 12-13th at NHMS

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

285F (or around 140 C for us people who work in metric) oil temps are waaaayyy too high! Definitely get some oil cooling. There should be ample options for Corvettes out there that should be cheap. Earls or Setrab cores work great.

To put it in perspective, my turbo Eclipse in 94 degree weather didn't even hit 115C (around 240 F) after repeated sessions.

Water temps were a different story though. :(

Octopus Magic fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 16, 2013

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

rotard posted:

on the subject of turbo dsm's, did yours make nhms's com event? i managed to get in for saterday and never came across your car

Nope, had clutch issues on thursday that put me out (very upsetting). Going to try for next year, hopefully the car will be more sorted then. :(

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Why do you need >=200? With 180 you can do Advan Neova AD08R or Michelin Pilot Sport Cups which are pretty much the best streetable track tires you can get.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Stardotstar posted:

Raced there with NASA Honda Challenge back in like '06. It is quite fast, prior to turn-in to T3, check mirrors paying close attention for street cars with faded brakes or inattentive drivers plowing down the inside (T3 is the first turn off the oval) because that poo poo happens constantly.

Also, the track looks like a proud, sturdy dong.

Actually it looks like something far more proud:

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Ziploc posted:

I as well.

I can see people wanting more secure-ness with a 4pt. Is a 4pt actually less safe than a 3pt?

Why would it be?

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

You're more than likely to get partially ejected in a 3 point than being able to fold up like a delicate origami crane and be protected than a 4 point.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Savington posted:

You have no idea how seatbelts work. Please stop posting about them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWwIMm7-t-s&t=20s

In a roll over, partial ejection with a three point is a very possible thing!

Also most of those three point users in that video look like they're submarining pretty bad (which I would assume would be the point of the video, to sell Takata's ASM belts).

Don't get me wrong, I think five/six points are safer than a four point, but I don't think 4 point is some sort of instant death sentence you guys seem to think it is (as is saying that there's zero safety in between a street 3 point and FULL CAGE HANS HELMET FIA BELTS UPDATED EVERY YEAR)

Octopus Magic fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 13, 2014

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Thompson in CT is looking better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tri3vNysFwo

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Certainly it's something better than doing NHMS again and again and again.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

How were the laptimes compared to an average SRF in the rain?

Limerock is a fun course. Kind of basic, but you can pretty much drive it flat out with smaller cars. Or you can spin the downhill when you miss the apex, like I did in my first 1G Eclipse.

Octopus Magic fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 17, 2014

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Bumming Your Scene posted:

I thought Integra Type R's only existed in parts on a chop shop floor

Only in the US and A (and possibly Canada). Elsewhere they're just another trim of Integra.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

LeMans cars actually require the ambient temp of the cockpit to be less than 90° or so, and are AC equipped, although they're not the traditional AC.

I'd say a good external oil cooler is more important than an aftermarket radiator, especially with turbo equipped cars.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

smelly cabin filter posted:

Anybody using oil coolers with thermostatic sandwich plates? I recently swapped my standard oil/water cooled turbo for a purely oilcooled one and it seems to take a lot longer to drop oiltemps than before.

Does your sandwich adapter have a thermostat in it? I know my Greddy adapter has one, and it warms up to about 78C before opening up.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

A thermostat will let the car's oil warm up quicker.

Get the biggest oil cooler you can fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

FatCow posted:

I start to feel like I'm finally getting close to driving the car properly, but then I watch a video of a buddy in a fairly comparable car that is 3s/lap faster than me.

Solution: drive some weirdo car no one tracks and feel better about yourself even if you're 10 seconds off pace in your class