Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

Is Nurburgring better on weekdays or weekend in terms of traffic and waiting?

I've been there (just Nordschleife, never driven on the new track) both on weekdays and weekends, and while it's just a few data points it seems to me there are quite a bit more people and cars there on weekends. However, since the track is usually open all day (as opposed to just a couple hours on weekday nights) people aren't on track as much but more hanging around, so queues and traffic on-track isn't that bad. Last time I was there (weekend late April this year) was the busiest I've seen. The parking lots closest to the track were quite packed and we usually had to park in the bit gravel lot (still just a minutes walk from the track entrance), but there was always plenty of room on that one. Still never had to wait in line for more than a minute or two to go out on track, and while there was noticeably more traffic it wasn't too bad. There was a bit of a line on a few occasions when the track reopened after accidents and such, but it cleared out in a few minutes.

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm about 200 km away so could go at any point.

Then you have no business whatsoever not being there every other weekend and whatever random free weekday night you have. I'm about 1500km away, so it's a multi-day roadtrip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Crustashio posted:

Racers - what do you have for gear? I'm going to be buying a suit, boots, gloves, etc soon and I'm curious what other people use. I don't really have the option of trying anything as there are zero places local to me.

If you can't try stuff on, it will be a bit of a gamble. The different manufacturers whose gear I've tried on (mainly Sparco and OMP) have had some differences in sizing, between each other and compared to "normal clothes". Most decent places that sell them have a good idea of what sizes from what brands fit for someones actual body size, and they'll know what size adjustments to make.

I got a full FIA-approved flame-retardant kit a few years ago. Basically went with whatever was locally available and not too horribly expensive that fit. Ended up with a Sparco Sprint suit+gloves, OMP boots, and a mix of both for the underwear bits.

Underwear is easy. It's all pretty stretchy, and as long as you don't go way too small it'll work. If you are doing any kind of endurance racing where you will do multiple stints, get an extra balaclava+shirt. They get sweaty and nasty and have to come in close proximity to your face when putting them back on for the second stint. I have a Sparco balaclava with an embroidered logo just in front of my mouth, it's annoying as hell. Avoid that if possible.

The suit should be pretty loose when you're standing up, so that it doesn't get too tight over your rear end and back when in a racing seat. Would probably work just going one size up from what you would normally wear, and it shouldn't be a problem if arms/legs are a little bit too long. Also it might be worth it going for something thinner and/or more breathable. It is always way too loving hot in a race car.

Boots were the tricky part for me. I tried Sparco, AlpineStars and OMP at a sort-of-local shop. I have pretty large and overly wide feet (basically 10-10.5 in length and ~11.5 in width), and everything was really narrow. Of the various models of those three brands I tried, an OMP boot was the only one I could wear without discomfort. They're not fun to walk in, but driving is fine (and they did get a bit better after some use). Good part about having wide feet though is I can do heel-and-toe braking with just the ball of my right foot in most cars. If you have a bit more average feet it should be a lot easier, but I would strongly recommend trying out someone else's boots for some kind of size comparison before ordering anything.

Also if you want to look properly racer-cool when hanging out in the pits you need to color-match boots+suit+gloves. Where I bought the suit they had some on sale, but only blue in an appropriate size. So, I have it all in blue with white trim and an enormous white helmet, and I look like a smurf. Should have gone with black, but whatever you think looks good. Just don't get white, unless you drive for some pro team that has people that endlessly cleans everything, all the things including you will get dirty.

You didn't mention helments, so I'll assume you got that covered. That stuff gets complex, and depends a bit on what you're driving.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Just did the first lap around the Nürburgring in my MX-5, and my first ever lap around here in the wet. The surface here gets ridiculously slippery when wet (more so than just about any other track I've been on), and it was rather challenging. Kept it on the track, but just barely. Will wait until it dries up a bit before having another go at it.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

NitroSpazzz posted:

even though you've been following them for a while and they should know you're there they absolutely do not know you're there and will turn into you if you try to take the inside line

Sometimes because they keep looking in their mirrors to see where you are, and don't see you coming up in their blind spot.

Been doing a Swedish 24-hour-lemons simile a bunch of times, usually in a car with good grip but not much engine power and sometimes overtaking just can't be done very cleanly. Always had great success dive-bombing in one particular right-hander. Usually I can get far enough up inside that I'm actually in front of them when they turn in, which increases visibility.