Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
How do you guys find local autocross events? I'd like to try one, but can't find any good calendars or anything to know when/where to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Extra posted:

I had the best luck going to http://www.motorsportreg.com/calendar/ and throwing in my zip code.

Thank you I appreciate the reassurance, I'm a bit self conscious when around people with expensive cars so it's probably just all in my head.
Ironically the event I found for this weekend isn't on there. ;)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Newbie question regarding classes in SCCA Autox.
Take a generic stock car. It fits into one of the stock classes.
Replace wheels/tires with same sizes as stock (pilot super sport), and high performance pads / fluid. It's still in GS, right?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Smurf blue Mustang
What are you using to datalog?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Harry's Lap Timer
Cool, I'll look into that.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_Carrera_GT

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

track day bro! posted:

Possibly the dumbest or coolest thing I guess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDfXMDApLNM&t=14s

Nice to see him pass a radical like it wasnt even there, usualy those things are the quickest things on track.
I honestly hate that noise. Its much too weedwacker-ish for me.
But yeah, making a joke of everything else on the track is amusing.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Looking at the calendar for 2 clubs in the area. The ones with prices are one, no prices are the other. The asterisks are days with driver school for first timers (like me). Buddy say NCRC (prices) is a better group of people than trackmasters (without). I wouldn't be attending all of them, but any tracks I would particularly not want to miss? Buttonwillow is like 6 hours away, :(

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

nm posted:

I love ncrc. So cheap. Not that novice friendly though if that applies.
I'd avoid buttonwillow and thill in the summer unless you have no choice and serious faith in your cooling system.

ColdPie posted:

I think you should strongly consider a day explicitly for newbies. A lot goes on on the track and the officials and other drivers will be far more forgiving of slow and "bad" driving than at an open track day. The day should be set up better for new drivers, including providing an instructor.

Oh, I'm definitely a newbie having never driven on a track before. My issue is while I wouldn't mind tracking my current vehicle I wouldn't trust it on a track without putting a decent amount of money into it (tires, brakes, shocks, all fluids and several of the filters at a bare minimum as its been neglected for a long time) and the new vehicle is still 4-6 months away and I would want to get comfy with it before taking it to a track anyways.

That said, any suggestions of newbie events I might want to attend? On that list I posted I would definitely be attending a drivers school grouping first rather than an open track group.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

dema posted:

Signed up for my first track day. Hooked on Driving, Thunderhill, CA. Too bad it's not until November.

I think it's a good idea to list a few hobbies, or whatever, as a footnote on your resume. Might help make you look like an interesting person to work with. If applicable, would highlight any track day volunteer work you've done or leadership stuff like being a club board member.
What club for thunderhill?
If it's a newbie day I want to go too.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

dema posted:

Think it's just a normal Hooked on Driving, novice thing.

I'd like to do the Corvette day in October but I'm spread a bit thin at the moment. Did sign up for the rally thing the day before. I'll probably be the youngest person there.
Whats the date and/or website?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

dema posted:

Over the lawyer's dead bodies.

Totally unrelated to that, here is a "workout" that I did: https://www.strava.com/activities/436306320
Note to self: bring my Garmin when I get out to a track.

Nice work.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I'm going to get to take my car to leguna seca next month. Seems like fun.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

the poi posted:

Who with? Pretty fun track, definitely something everyone should do if they get the opportunity. I found it reeeealy tough to pass in HPDE though with a lower HP car (s2000), lot of time stuck behind drag racers : /
http://www.ncracing.org/index.php

My boss and I have been talking about it for a while, and he's gonna go with a couple other people from the office and friends.

Its a new Mustang GT, so power isn't an issue. I keep thinking I want to grab some PSS tires to replace the crappy (not-PP) stocks, but don't really want to spend the money.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Uhhhhh what? Did someone's brakes decide they wanted to stop being brakes?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Speaking of helmets... I'm going to need one for autoX and track use within a couple weeks. Where do people go to even get a helmet? Moto shops would have M rated ones, but would they have AS2015 helmets?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I'm waffling on the track day at Leguna next month. Would love to drive it, but its just expense after expense after expense.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Aren't the x63 cars twin turbo V12s with like 600 something horsepower and a torque curve that looks like a mesa?
They SHOULD be neck and neck with just about anything. Because wtf.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

nm posted:

TT v8s, but yeah. They're fast as gently caress.
What am I thinking of then? x65 was V12 and x63 was TT V8?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I ended up not going to leguna yesterday.

I'm now considering a trip to thubderhill and a trip to leguna both in July at around $750 all told.
Wtf is wrong with me?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

First autocross this morning.
Video shall be forthcoming.
Had a lot of fun.
Stock tires loving SUCK.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Have some videos.
1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ug52nvJUAg
2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5FVID2kJ9E
3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtBK5dV92oQ
4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRfYv-uY9DI

Stock tires suck. Way too much power for them.

Things I already know: stop engine braking.
Other thoughts?

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 22, 2016

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Scheduled July 10th for thunderhill as my first newbie track day. Gonna be hot.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

nm posted:

Haha, nice knowing you.
Do you have an oil temp gauge and/or a real coolant temp gauge?
At least you're not FI (I think.) Wear wicking clothes and drink a gently caress ton of water.
No FI, but will bring plenty of water. Gauges should be fine as is.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

King of all Machines Operate posted:

Just signed up for this too! Second time at Thunderhill for me. I'll be the dude in the blue 94 m edition Miata. Probably #33
Sweet! Green mustang, #256. In the track babies group.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Just signed up for this too! Second time at Thunderhill for me. I'll be the dude in the blue 94 m edition Miata. Probably #33
Getting anxious yet? Be nice if it cooled down a little for Sat. Im seeing a projected high of 88, which will be a little cooler than the rest of this week at least.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

So I definitely wasn't going 10/10ths, and the stock tires are crap, and my hand work is less than ideal, and...
but babies first track day was a success.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN6mC9xRy4U

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

ColdPie posted:

Hands at 3 and 9, always, no exceptions. Otherwise I hope you had a good time! Does your group offer instructors? I found that really, really helpful for my first few sessions, and I still do a few instructed days per year.
We did lead/follow and passing exercises the first two sessions, but nothing in car for this group. I'll consider it if/when I go again.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Anyone going to the Thursday evening session at thunderhill this week? It's on the short track, which I didn't see last weekend.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Halfway through that vid and I'm already making GBS threads myself. WTF are they thinking?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I'm running at Laguna Seca on 8/1 so come say hi if you're there! I'll be the blue Miata #33
There's a mustang meet up going on nearby right now, but it wasn't worth the drive from sac for me right now.

Have fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Is that so the pipes point away from the db meter?