Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Running my first track day at Auto Club Speedway. Pretty perfect weather, fun stuff. Assload of cars here too
Who's running it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
Ya it kinda freaked me out too, but didn't want to say anything. There's no diagonal and no harness bar, but those two things are like, the point of the cage :psyduck:

Is this so the rear seats can still be used or something? The belt mounting angle is the most worrisome--the seat could very well be rated for some angle, but that seems pretty steep for anything I've seen. Zlatan, have you double-checked all the installation specs for the belts?

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
I like autocross :( . Although I usually just do the Calclub practices--12 runs, 1 hr of course work. On race days, its only a half day--3 or 4 runs and 1hr course work in the morning or the afternoon. I bought my S2000 to do track days, and started autocrossing just to get a hang of the car, but I haven't missed an autox practice yet, and have done about 30% of the race days. The nice thing about autox is that there's very little penalty for loving up, so you can drive with reckless abandon, if that's your thing.

That said, I've done two track weekend with NASA now, and it's a poo poo-ton of fun, albeit more expensive between entry fees, track insurance, and hotel.

Speaking of which, here's my last session of the day at Buttonwillow 1CW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufgT5xXXQ6U&hd=1

I had great instructors on both days (NASA HPDE 1), and the track crystallized pretty well for me by the second day. Unfortunately my exhaust melted and transmission stopped working. So eh. Some clean laps start around 7:30, but the interesting bit is at the end where I work myself into taking too much speed into magic mountain/phil hill, try to catch up to the apex, and promptly run out of talent!

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
Toe is pretty critical to proper tire wear, if nothing else--and it's pretty easy to do well without any fancy equipment. Find somewhere flat and smooth, sandwich a trash bag with two pieces of cardboard and throw it under the tires (put some particle/plywood under the stack if you aren't on smooth concrete) then use some tow plates and two tape measures. Here are some fancy toe plates: http://www.longacreracing.com/catalog/item.asp?id=152&catid=5 , but you can get the same thing with a couple more pieces of wood.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
Here's my brother crashing into the one thing you could crash into as far as the eye can see, as filmed by me chasing him. Only broke a bone in his hand and burst a blood vessel in his eye! He bounced across the track--if you look closely, you can see him bouncing back behind my car as I'm passing the incident...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx9QtmFdhTo

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

emoltra posted:

Why would they put a station there :psyduck:

The track runs in both directions in a handful of configurations--that station makes much more sense going in the other direction, and isn't anywhere close to a problem in other configurations. Just bad luck really (it's insured through Lockton though so it could've been worse!)

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

aventari posted:

drat was the course worker okay?

I actually enjoy that configuration and have always been super fast through those sweepers (in both directions), but my cars always have little enough power where I just keep the throttle pinned all the way through them and the rear stays planted.

Did your brother lift?

Ya, corner worker was fine--sturdy wall behind the crush panels. In the high-res vid you can see him calmly wandering away from the wall as the car is coming towards him. It was weird.

But yes--according to his Solo, he totally lifted. It looks like he lifted right before starting to brake, but wasn't straight enough, and/or got a tire onto or off the curbing at just the right time to get it loose. He was just along for the ride after that.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
RS3s. Get RS3s.

edit:// \/\/ :argh:

the poi fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 11, 2014

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
Ugh, Super Sports. They were on my s2000 when I bought it, and they were not communicative at all, and when they got to their limit, they just immediately gave up. Not like RS3s. Mmmmmm, RS3s.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

nollij posted:

I've read Rivals grease up on track worse than Dunlop ZIIs.

They both grease up more than RS3s. I've heard the same thing about Rivals though, they get greasy reeeealy fast.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
Re: overheating RS3s--I only managed to get my RS3s greasy by getting lazy at the end of the day at Cal Speedway (high speed oval+infield) and overdriving the poo poo out of the tires, in 90*F heat. Car weighs 2850 with fuel and driver. No idea what happens on a heavier car though!

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

aventari posted:

SoCal- Autoclub speedway Roval, Saturday 2/15

I just signed up for this event. I've never done the ROVAL. It looks kind of boring with it being way too fast and not enough corners, but it's less than half the distance of any other track so I have to give it a try.
Anyone run this track before?

http://www.speedventures.com/events/eventdetail.aspx?id=457

I loving love the Roval. I hoping to make it for that weekend, seeing as I live about 40mins away...

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
Just got back, was running a blue S2000 in Purple group. New best time of 2:00.021. So loving close! Going back tomorrow, gotta get a 1:59 now.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

nollij posted:

Hmmm... 8 analog inputs and fairly cheap compared to Traqmate. The harness for it seems a little expensive though.

Can that do CAN/OBD reading? It looks like it can't. I have a Solo DL, it's OK, but I wouldn't recommend it. The software and interface is kind of weird, and you can't easily add inputs. The AEM looks like it could do that, but can't log the gobs of data on the CAN bus?

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

McSpatula posted:

Was this the speedventures group? I forgot people were talking about ROVALing it up; I was infield with the autox group :v:.

Were you at auto-x on Saturday or just Sunday? My friend was running the red winged Fiero on Sat. Seemed pretty busy on Sunday though, ton of cars.

I got out of the 2s! Fastest lap of the day for me, 1:58.4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS8WlXeFia8

Also, did anyone see the smooshed ZR1 up close? He apparently crashed into the inside wall at T3, but I have no idea how you do that...

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

Admirable Gusto posted:

About a third of the Speed Ventures events that I attended had a collision of some kind. They're better organized than other groups I've tried (except maybe NASA) but they're also more tolerant of stuff (e.g. aggressive passing, hooking one wheel in the dirt on corner exits, etc.) e> or were; it's been a long time since I attended one of their track days

Plus IMO Buttonwillow and Willow Springs (which they're always at) are relatively dangerous

This was my first SV event, I've only done NASA events before. It's more lenient than NASA (self-tech, self-selection in run groups, no track passes) but from what I hear it's still more organized than other events. And to be fair to SV, that was the only incident that resulted in any serious damage all weekend--seems to be about on par with NASA in that regard.

ACS doesn't seem particularly dangerous to me--the infield is not that fast, and the places were it is, there's a good deal of (paved) runoff. The banking seems a little scary, but I don't think it is, it's just disorienting cornering at such a high sped. If someone blew a motor on the straight/banking though, I'm sure carnage would follow.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
/\/\ Crap, wish I tracked you down on Saturday, I had a garage you could've used :doh:

I totally hosed up T12-13 the same way for most of Saturday before I chilled out.

That's not me by the way, that's 2 different dudes who wear the same clothes. I'll put up a lap of mine later for comparison.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J3OD2Ux_q8

lol, riced out Honda at 0:20

Anyone doing NASA at BW on 3/1-3/2?
edit:// Sorry, NASA at ACS (again) on 3/1-3/2, or I guess BW on 3/8-3/9 with SV...

the poi fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Feb 18, 2014

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
So I'm running NASA HDPE tomorrow at Auto Club Speedway...and it's going to be raining. Any tips? I running new R888 that have been heat cycled, but not scrubbed in yet.

Also if it's actually raining raining, I'm sitting out the run group, because gently caress if I will drive around with my windows open for 20 minutes.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
Excellent. The oval might be interesting though...

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
Have not crashed yet! One damp session, and one mostly dry. Going out in a bit on a wet track tho. So far so good! Kinda fun in the wet spots.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

aventari posted:

How did it go?

Pretty rad :) Minor pucker moment when going a little wide on the entrance to the front straight, hitting a puddle, and hydroplaning up the track a little...

Sunday was pretty dry, new personal best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGJRhCYwm-E

I think there's another second at least if I clear up the understeer in 5-6 and the hairpin. Stock rear swaybar, Eibach front, is making it push.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

FatCow posted:

I like that while doing a buck 20 you decide that's a good time to fiddle with the button on the e-brake.

i like to push buttons!

Muffinpox posted:

You need to work on your steering and throttle interactions a bit. The corner at :55 is a good example of it, you're rolling in before the apex and causing understeer, then not unwinding fully and using all the track. Post apex it's eating time because you're having to wait for the car to settle down before you can get into it fully.

I watched that spot a few times and I see what you're saying. Cool tip!

The sound is all induction noise BTW, mic clipped to the air filter

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

rotard posted:

So I'm going to replace the fantastic stock struts and tanabe springs in my 05 sti and am looking for opinions.

It seems that rce t2s, kws, jrz rs1s are all about the same price, and all fairly known aside from the jrzs which I can only find BMW reviews, any one have a reccomendation out of the bunch, or something different?

Car will be on zii's till they cord then I'll prob buy sticky tires for both autox and hpde. I'm aware I may have to change spring rates if I go rcomps. Currently the car has Cobb bars, an alk, stiffer bushings out back and i,m looking to do the front next.

I do drive the car on the street, so race only stuff that can't take normal street use isn't an option, I will however swap them out for the newengland winter months

Stay away from JRZs--my brother had some on his Cayman, and I was pretty disappointed by their engineering. There's no way to hold the shaft while tightening the nut, for example. Why in the world not? It's just weird. His front struts lasted two months before they starting leaking oil.

On the other hand, I've had KW V3s on my S2000 for like 2 years, and they're amazing and I haven't had any issues with them ever. They're designed competently.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
/\/\agreed, the V3s are fantastic for street use. I'm surprised with how well they work just daily driving and track driving. The stainless steel is also pretty amazing--they're just very well built.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
I got a friend that smoked HPS on the track as well. However, I've been using HP Plus for the longest time, and have loved them on the street and track day use on RS3s (car is an S2000). They work great pretty much everywhere. That said, a long session of really pushing the car with R888s at Buttonwillow made them start to go away--they didn't stop working, but I was starting to put a noticeable increase in pedal pressure to keep stopping properly. So basically, as long as you don't put R-comps on your car, I'd recommend giving HP Plus a try.

edit:// \/\/ HP Plus!

the poi fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 13, 2014

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

eriddy posted:

Do the HP Plus make a ton of noise ? Is the squealing thing just something that sorts itself out after the pads wear in a little?

I've had kind of a weird experience with them--sometimes they squeal, and sometimes they don't, and I can't for the life of me determine the pattern by which they do this. In any event, squealing brake pads are cool because everyone looks at your car when you come up to an intersection and they're totally thinking "sick racecar bro!".

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

SlapActionJackson posted:

They shouldn't be as bad as a full-on race pad, but they will be louder than street pads, and this will not go away with wear. It's one of the things you have to live with to get the higher temperature tolerance. My porsche's brakes sounds like a goddamn garbage truck when I'm driving around town.

Ha, are they Carbotechs? My brother had XP8 or XP12, don't remember, on his Cayman S. It was so cripplingly loud it would drown out conversation inside the car literally whenever the car would come to a stop. It never got any better.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
Serious question: how in the world do you guys get DTC60s up to temperature at track days? They're like Hawk's highest temperature racing pad :psyduck:

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
I'm a fan of full face for race rubber, rocks and mammals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1u3JyJ3W6Q

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

SlapActionJackson posted:

I have the Solo. I can confirm it's awesome and works about 1000000x better than a smartphone app. Reliable, detailed data 100% of the time.

I loving hate the analysis software though. It's just....impenetrable

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

TrueChaos posted:

My HP+'s have 4-5mm left. I've got a track day in a few weeks and am torn on if I should replace them or not. Thoughts?

Yes. Thats pushing it. Keep em in your trunk though, so if you run them next set completely out you can swap them in at the track!

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
I just did BW with NASA last weekend. 100-105* all weekend. It was...taxing.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

Phone posted:

...Extreme performance summer tires (Dunlop Z2, Hankook R-S3, BFG Rival, etc) would be a great idea, but not entirely necessary...

I'm a big proponent of learning on good tires like RS-3s/Rivals/etc. Not R-comps, mind you, but I didn't start getting faster until I took off my Super Sports and put on RS-3s. It may have just been those tires, but compared to the RS-3s, the breakaway and communication was abysmal. For someone learning, this meant when I exceeded the limit a bit, the car was sideways. On the RS3s, the car slid a bit, I learned a lesson, and could keep going.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

Dropped 2 seconds of my pb at Auto Club Speedway :rock: Camber bolts are working pretty good.

drat valve stem leaking again, ordering metal clamp ins is my next mod.

Hey I was just there too, blue S2000 in black group. What were you driving?

Had a pretty fun day, I was mostly just dicking around and giving rides to people. I smoked my cat though, was losing power all day until it was just totally broken on my last session. Oh well, any track day is a fun track day!

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

McSpatula posted:

Was that with speedventures? I wanted to attend, but for some reason they had the day advertised as a CCW course. That racerender overlay is neat, especially the map overlay. Gotta look into that!

Ya, SV. ACS is always CCW...CW would be loving hilarious though and now I want to do it. You'd be coming into the complex at like 160mph

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

Low consumable costs.
I love rain days, but only on tracks without walls nearby to gently caress up your poo poo. And autoclub has a lot of walls.

For some hilarious reason, I've only ever done rain days at Auto Club. My favorite part is when the car gets a little unsettled entering the straight from the complex and the backend slides uptowards the wall a bit at like 100mph. That's exciting.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
My F14s have been pretty reliable on my S2000, granted, it's 2900lbs with driver and I'm using a 40 series tire. BUT, I actually drove off the inside of a corner on track and hit the start of the curbing, hard enough to coilbind my front shock and collapse the lower spring perch. Wheel was just fine though!

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
poo poo. What car? Extremespeed was running that event looks like.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

ilkhan posted:

I'm going to get to take my car to leguna seca next month. Seems like fun.

Who with? Pretty fun track, definitely something everyone should do if they get the opportunity. I found it reeeealy tough to pass in HPDE though with a lower HP car (s2000), lot of time stuck behind drag racers : /

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
I misplaced a wheel on track yesterday!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtYjujhW27Q