Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
I race Superkarts in Oz, and just achieved my first ever round win on the weekend. Pretty stoked! Puts me in the lead of our club championship too.

Here's the results from the event. Whoever posted the news article found my GoPro footage (I'm no pro video editor) on their own which is pretty cool.

The GPS unit for my data logger arrived yesterday so I'll try out that RaceRender software after the next round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

drgitlin posted:

Seconding the pad suggestion, and it's also worth getting a spare set of pads IMO, especially if you're going to do multiple stints in a day and you sweat - putting on a helmet with damp pads is horrible, and if you can take one set out to let them dry and swap them over you'll be a lot more comfortable.

I have the same issue with the ears. It's easily fixed with a balaclava. This also helps alleviate sweating issues too - your helmet won't start to stink over time and the balaclava can just go straight in the wash.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
Had a close call last time out in the superkart: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIFeXIQV7lY

Two things learned:
1. Even though I've started winning races this year I'm still pretty inexperienced when the unexpected occurs. I instinctively moved to go around the spinning 51 even though it's obvious you run out of room doing it. It's obvious what you're supposed to do (in this instance tuck back in behind 69), just hard to train the body to do it in the split seconds that count.
2. Low ride height + uneven ground = stranded go kart!

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
Cheers. It did grate a little at the time though, as luckily for 51 his spin left him stalled on the very verge of the track so he just let the field by and then trundled off, leaving me the only casualty.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

Na we're Missing Link Motorsports #86 the red E30 convertible that looks like an ugly pickup truck. It could have ended a LOT worse, wet grass might have been to my advantage in this case. I'm going to try to convince them to let me plastidip the coupe we build this winter some bright obnoxious color, possibly change it between races.

Here's some laps where I don't crash - http://youtu.be/vyggoiIGzb4

I like the clown in the rear view at 13:20.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005

FatCow posted:

Passed NASA comp school and did my first two races. Forgetting everything I learned in HPDEs and saying 'gently caress the guy behind me' is kinda hard. I also set a new PB at VIR during qualifying. 1.1s better than my old time with 100 extra lbs of ballast in the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_Ygy_egE3Q

Just need to work on 'not being slow as poo poo' and finish prepping the car.

Nice job, actual racing competition is awesome.

I was looking into what kind of lap times my go kart can punch out at VIR, and found some guys doing 2:12's in them, which is pretty wild.

Here's me blasting around here in oz.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
Speaking of spins:

Lost my right rear wheel at 100mph. My weekend was going well up till that point, took pole and won the first two heats.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiVAyM8NpFqN51-8uJMiDR-h1SdSHb5np

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

Welcome to flavor pucker town!

Could you hear any change in sound/vibration leading up to the crash?

At the time, no. The loss of control came on so suddenly I thought I had been punted for a moment, then I saw the wheel bouncing off into the gravel.

Looking at the video though it does seem to track a little too keenly to the right (at the Hayshed if you know the track) on the way up to the left hander where it failed. Didn't notice at the time.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
I managed to keep all 4 wheels on the kart this time, allowing me to take out the round win last weekend!

Here's some close racing with 3 other guys all day.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

That's killer. I started to look at karting a month back, realistically are there karts that a 6'2" person fits into or do you have to be a shorter guy?

You're not going to be as comfy as a 5'10" fellow, but it wouldn't be a problem. In this video kart 97 is being driven by a fellow who is about 6'4".

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
I'm a madman that drives without seatbelt or rollcage, but can I suggest that if you're shaken by the events, now is a good time to review the safety gear on your ride?

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

I had assumed this stuff happens at least once a month or so to be honest. Is this the first HPDE death? It's sad but inevitable.

Not once a month, but certainly several times a year. For me the worst ones are when the driving instructor is the one killed.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005

Marauder Stig posted:

well, madman, perhaps you should put a cage/seat/harness in your car, because he made a pretty simple mistake.

Never said I raced a car. My ride doesn't get to have these things.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
Let me quickly self-doxx so you can stop embarrassing yourselves.

Some of the Sheep posted:

Speaking of spins:

Lost my right rear wheel at 100mph. My weekend was going well up till that point, took pole and won the first two heats.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiVAyM8NpFqN51-8uJMiDR-h1SdSHb5np

I'm not going to claim my sport is even remotely safe or sane, but I'm not being an idiot when I say I don't get to wear a belt or cage.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'm amazed you went out when it was that foggy, they waited for the fog to go before we were allowed out when I was there.

So little recap from Gingerman with World Racing League this weekend. Friday was a track day so we broke in the engine over six 30 minute sessions while we learned the track. Saturday was wet as hell, which I love, and we came in first...I drove A LOT. Sunday thanks to some DNF's and luck we grabbed third. Great weekend at the track and World Racing League continues to be awesome to run with. Despite the rain there was only one contact which was due to one car missing a shift while being drafted, neither driver felt the bump.

Apparently I was running 5 seconds a lap faster than anyone else in GP2 when it was raining :aaaaa:

Video so you can criticize my driving - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rNJvWpu_vg

I much prefer the prolonged, sociopathic laughter in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGzzjQvEeec Fantastic stuff.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005

Bape Culture posted:

Can you nerds not just wear contacts?

I couldn't, I found that the vibration would cause them to shake around on the surface of my eye, blurring my vision.

Wearing glasses in the helmet is never going to be 100% comfortable. I had laser vision correction earlier this year and it's much more convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005

eriddy posted:

Should the white car have given you room or was he justified in taking the racing line?

He left a car width, what are you talking about?