Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

nollij posted:

If you dont mind HPDE, there are (4) tracks: Ridge, Portland, Pacific, Oregon

There are a lot of orgs that run out of them (Turn 2, Proformance, HoD, SCCA, etc.). There is a lot of cheaper “Wet Season” at the tracks if you dont mind driving in the wet.

For W2W, endurance series occasionally drop through and Cascade Sports Car Club runs out at Portland

There is no time attack type competitive racing in the area.

Don't forget Mission Raceway. Roughly 5 hrs from portland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

nollij posted:

I’ve only ever done drags at Mission when I lived in Bham. The surface looked pretty rough outside of the strip. There any reason to go there besides variety from the other tracks?

not really. The drags are great because it's under sealevel there, barometer wise. And if you're going to travel that far, might as well go to Area27. Much nicer facility and the staff aren't a bunch of condescending assholes because you're not a nostalgia nitro car.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My best friend just lost his engine in his newest gen viper from oil starvation. I guess the long sweepers kill them unless you overfill a couple litres.

$42000 warranty claim!

Edit: and LOL I've never felt anything that corners that hard. Short of a radical but I didn't drive that anywhere near flat out.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 19, 2019

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BlackMK4 posted:

That is ridiculous, I'd have expected them to have been dry sumped from the factory. Are they really not?

I wish, you can get HPD contingency but it isn't really useful. Mazda has that covered really well though, I believe.

I replaced a rear wheel bearing and hub a few weeks ago, I went ahead and ordered new wheel bearings and hubs for the other corners. I don't feel like learning this lesson again.

I did some research before. The previous gens had a swiveling pickup that followed the g forces. The new one is apparently dry sump but they still have starvation issues. I won't go into specifics as to how he got the claim put through. But he picked me up at the airport in that thing and it's pretty rad and also kind of embarassing to be driven around in. Like lifted h2 hummer embarassing.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
odd question... How much up travel/bound is enough ?

I've got my ride height set for 12cm of uptravel currently. This is for my ice racing UTV, so it will be slightly rougher than a pavement racetrack, but I also have 30" tires so there is some sidewall give aswell. Waiting on the plows to finish the course and then I'll do some testing. Also im really hoping the coils stay seated. I might have to run limiting straps, as these shocks extend very very far.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have a phobia of rumble strips because of track days on motorcycles.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The only real thing you can mess up with an install is the shimming for the R&P gears. so either the r&p self destructed and maybe sent a tooth into the spiders or it was a material failure of the diff itself. Well I guess the caps could have failed too. Did it seize up and spin you or do the marbles in a coffee can thing ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BlackMK4 posted:

It was used, I pulled it out of the car and posted some pictures over in the mechanical failure thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3222431&pagenumber=1008#post501969323
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3222431&pagenumber=1008#post501969659

Appears to me that it was the classic AP1 diff failure where the caps walk, R&P misalignment, and everything eats itself. Oh well. The diff itself is fine, I'll send it off to OSG for their $180 rebuild / retune and stick it into another unit.

God drat that ring gear. I wonder if the gearing jammed up and blew out the cap. Whatever that thing is called, bearing cap I guess. Or if the cap broke and then the gears misaligned.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Test n tune footage from the ice track
https://youtu.be/AvMZEgiV_hQ
https://youtu.be/fTYVURbFHow

266 1.5" ice screws per tire. When the ice is clean I'm getting grip comparable to warm blacktop.

Other than the Honda cr500 2 stroke in a 250cc aluminum frame that I was getting walked on in the straights this thing is lol fast.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Some friends are saying I am giving up speed and not defensive enough on corner entry... But with ice you have to stay in the groove to keep traction. The far inside apex and the outside get dusted up and snowy and then the spikes can't do their job.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The track I want to run at requires a membership. $60k I think is the membership, plus event fee. Plus school fee. Luckily my friend already has the membership and he can bring guests on. But atleast with that membership fee they can actually afford a dedicated EMS unit.

https://www.area27.ca/

Edit: LOL at people just jumping the wall and random drivers just getting out of their cars.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN