Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
Looking to get into karting, probably just lapping and practicing at first and then potentially racing down the line but not super serious about that at the moment.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/snw/5602937843.html

Does that look like something reasonable to learn on, or should I look for something cheaper/slower? I live in the SF Bay Area so the local track is the kart track at Sonoma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):

ilkhan posted:

Scheduled July 10th for thunderhill as my first newbie track day. Gonna be hot.

Just signed up for this too! Second time at Thunderhill for me. I'll be the dude in the blue 94 m edition Miata. Probably #33

Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
Just got back from my day at Thunderhill. Came in a little hot on turn 3 and spun into the dirt, which means I'll be spending next weekend vacuuming all the dust, dirt, rocks and grass out of my car since I was running my Miata topless. Otherwise pretty awesome day!

Protip: if you camp in the grass outside the main gates because you're too cheap to pay for a hotel, the pedestrian gate was unlocked so you can access the paddock at night to use the bathroom and shower

Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
Which sensor are you using? Seems like something I'd like to try to do!

Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
I'm running at Laguna Seca on 8/1 so come say hi if you're there! I'll be the blue Miata #33

Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
Track day at Laguna Seca was a success! Fastest lap I managed to do was 2:02:42, which was better than my previous day by ~3 seconds. I think I'm losing lots of time after turn 5 going up the hill but had a blast regardless. Can't wait to go back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-BMyexoXZg

Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
M-Edition. Currently running EBC Greenstuffs but I think I'd like to go to something more track specific. Carbotech XP8s all around perhaps?

Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
Track day at Thunderhill next week, Sept 10. #33 Miata come say hi if any of you are there!

Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
Hankook RS-3s are popular and great

Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
Did back to back days at Laguna Seca this weekend. Very wet track the first day and a mostly dry track with a couple of rivers across turns 2 and 4 today.
I noticed that when the back steps out I tend to let the wheel spin freely through my hands while countersteering to correct, but that seems less precise than keeping a grip on the wheel. How do you guys do it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc35qrONrVg

Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):

Here's one I took when I did a track day at Laguna Seca. Whatever keeps the neighbors happy I guess

Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
This feels like a really dumb question, but how do I know when it’s time to get new tires for the track? I’m fairly new to track driving and am not really in tune with paying attention to feeling the amount of grip in the tires. The car in question is a 94 Miata with RS-3s with probably 10 track days on it (about half and half between me and the previous owner, and two of those were in the wet) and probably 1k miles of driving on the highway.

I don’t recall a noticeable lack of grip from the last track day I did. I’ve got another day coming up at Laguna Seca next month so wondering if I should just run these again (because I am cheap) or get new tires before I go. Still plenty of tread on the tires but from reading around a bit it’s more a heat cycle thing?

Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
I’ve got a track day coming up at the Thunderhill West track on Thursday and forecast looks like it’s gonna be raining throughout the day. I’m running a 94 Miata and normally run Hankook RS3s. Wondering if it’s a wet day if it’d be better to run the stock wheels on all seasons instead?

Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
Now that you mention it, they’re probably from like 2013 or 2014 or something. All seasons are probably similar. I can check them out tomorrow.

Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
0415 date code on these. Guess it’ll be a good learning experience for low grip situations!

Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
Just took a look at my laps in Harry’s and here’s my best so far in an 06 Exige (non supercharged). It’s quite a bit faster than my mostly stock NA Miata, but this is driving it like 7/10ths because I’m way more scared of breaking it.

Thunderhill East bypass 2:12
Thunderhill East cyclone 2:16
Thunderhill 5 mile 3:48
Laguna Seca 1:48
Sonoma 2:06

Never done Sonoma in the Miata but I’m around 1:58 at Laguna in it.

Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
Looking to add some data to my driving since I feel myself plateauing and tired of loving around with phone apps. I was at the track on Sunday and ended up with only logging one lap across 6 sessions because Harry’s was refusing to cooperate with my external gps.

Anyone have experience with either AIM Solo or Garmin Catalyst? The Catalyst seems like it would give me more actionable data quicker, but I do wish it was capable of exporting data to do more analysis (not that I would ever get around to actually doing it and trying to make sense of the squiggly lines)

Also discovered this nifty looking tool that pulls full data out of a GoPro video, using the onboard 18hz gps and accelerometers and it looks promising too. So considering Catalyst plus that for now. But all the hardcore guys swear by AIM :shrug:

https://www.race-technology.com/us/gopro

Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
Bypass is the best, and much better than the cyclone. The feeling of 50/50 if you're going to die as you shoot over the crest is kinda fun once you get used to it. The cyclone is a dumb corkscrew knockoff that kills the flow of the track.

Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):

Bjork Bjowlob posted:

Does anyone have experience with the OMP ARS-R fixed-back seat (or any other similar OMP seat), particularly in a car that does dual street/track duty? It would be for an E92 M3, and I'd only be changing the driver's side so that the passenger airbag system and folding seat access are retained.

I'd also be interested in hearing about experiences with alternatives to OMP - I've only cross-shopped Recaro so far but the price difference is significant.

We run an HTE-R in our Lemons car and like it a lot. It looks like the ARS-R is a little more narrow which I would actually like better as the HTE-R is a little wider than I prefer (5’7’’, 140lbs, ~30 waist)

My favorite seat is the Recaro Profi SPG that I used to run in my Miata but it’s definitely on the snug side. Would probably have to get an XL or Pole Position if you’re much bigger. Super super comfy and great support once you’re in, but kind of a pain to daily especially with harnesses. Currently on sim duty since it doesn’t fit easily in my Exige but I would run that seat in every track car if I could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
I had RS4s on RPF1s on my Miata and probably did 10 track days on them and still probably had more in them. Sure they’re not the fastest but they definitely wear as well as people say.

I think the main benefit of having a widely available wheel even over lightness is that if anything gets bent/damaged, it’s quick and easy to get a replacements. It sucks having to track down OE wheels on anything slightly rare, and wheels do end up being a consumable when you’re tracking frequently.