Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS
So hey given the nature of this thread I'm probably stating the obvious but just in case some lurker doesn't know here goes

Quick Warning Re: Tires and Track Days

Unless you are driving a car that has a fully race-prepared driveline and suspension (down to spindles, hubs, reinforced mount points etc.), DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES WHATSOEVER, PUT SLICK TIRES TO YOUR CAR. YES THEY ARE MUCH FASTER. YES YOU WILL LITERALLY RIP YOUR SUSPENSION OUT OF YOUR CAR AT HIGH SPEED. YOUR STREET/SEMI STREET CAR ALMOST CERTAINLY CANNOT HANDLE THE STRESSES OF THE ADDITIONAL GRIP. DON'T gently caress YOUR poo poo UP. SAY NO TO SLICKS.

Left field post yes, but I'm really not joking. Even most amateur/club racer stuff isn't really designed for any kind of extended exposure to the forces that slick tires can generate. Seen one too many people rip a lower out and go sailing off track at some inopportune spot, with often disastrous and expensive results. Remember kids, too much grip can be a very bad thing! Nice thread btw, looking forward to following it :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS

Boiled Water posted:

Will I need to bring additional tires to a track day or can I use my normal ones as long as I don't thrash them?

Depends on the tire but the general answer will fall somewhere between "Yes bring track tires" and "You don't have to but go easy." Forget grip and wear, your average street tire is not built to withstand the constant and elevated heat buildup of track running, which increases wear exponentially and can lead to other not-fun problems

E: and on that subject, either invest in performance brake pads or be veeeerry easy on the brakes. If you roll with stockers, the second you start to feel the rotors glaze over back it down and pull off the track. Once they glaze over, the brakes are not coming back to you until they get all the way cool, nothing you can do about it on-track. Also don't hold onto the brake in the pits when you're fresh off the track until they cool down a lot. Good way to warp a rotor fast, that is.

Some Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 20, 2012

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

kill me now posted:

uhhh what?

I ran through numerous sets of pirelli grand am slicks for a few years and never had any sort of major issues. I also know lots of people who run slicks like conti scrubs, hoosier R6/A6/R100 that have never had any issues beyond eventually developing some play in their wheel bearings or having to replace a tie rod.

You are over exaggerating this as an issue. Maybe don't run slicks if you're driving some 20 year old rusted out E30 but there isn't some epidemic of slicked up track cars having massive on track suspension failures.

If you're tracking your car you should be going it over with a fine toothed comb before you get to the track as well as looking it over as well as you can between sessions. I caught some play in a tie rod one day (I was on street tires) while checking over the car during the lunch break. I ended my day early and that was that, had I not looked over my car then there may have been a bigger issue.

To be contrary to everyone else, as long as you've had some prior track time and are confident with your car slicks are awesome and can be super cheap if you get once used scrub slicks from a race team.

Slicks + dedicated track pads = Serious fun

Eh, I guess our experiences have been different then. Maybe I catch a rattier bunch, but 2 or 3 times I've seen catastrophic suspension failure lead to some pretty nasty wrecks, all on cars that were mostly-stock track rods with some form of slick rubber on em. Feel free to disregard what I've said, and you're absolutely right about nutting and bolting the car before every outing. Sorry if I sounded overly-dramatic, I've just seen a pattern between slick tires on possibly under-equipped machinery and some seriously expensive incidents V:shobon:V

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

FatCow posted:

Something I realized when starting out. Low HP cars are comparatively faster the slower the run group. The fancy guys with their S2ks, Corvettes and M cars are afraid to actually use the power they have. It's easy to mat it on corner exit when you only have 100hp. My Miata used to eat poo poo up in Green/Yellow groups, now I'll either see no-one or just get passed.

I know what you mean. In the NASA stuff i do when i get a break, i field a little late model with around 500 to the ground and most people I see driving cars that should blow me away I eat up because they're afraid to actually use more than 1/2 of what their car is capable of. I've always maintained that people shouldn't go straight to low-traction RWD v8s for track day stuff simply because it never teaches them how to manage power effectively, which leads to easy spooking under race conditions and unpredictable drivers.