Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Divide et Impera is a great mod overhaul for it too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I hear people talking up Divide et Impera for rome 2 but I look at their mod page and like the first thing they say is "2000 new units" and I'm immediately suspicious

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
They removed a lot of shared regional rosters and replaced them with unique ones.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

There are some shared units but many factions have their own version of things and there's also regional auxiliaries for each province based on the level of your main settlement building so if you go to Syria you can get excellent armoured archers and elephants and if you go to Rhodes you can get slingers or horse archers from scythia.
Then on top of that Rome and carthage can recruit buffed versions of regional units either as romanised auxiliaries or special mercenaries.

It's pretty cool and makes each army feel unique based on where they've been, you'll have the elite native units from your imperial core but also armies pulled from the areas you've conquered which in some cases might be even better. There's a population system that changes how each faction recruits based on the social class of their warriors mainly, and also means recruiting foreigners is practically free so strong native troops are very valuable.
Also each faction has one or more reforms they can go through which change their roster

Its very cool and the units are beautiful (shout outs to my favs pergamon and medewi) , the engine is showing its age though and turn times are rough but at least I usually find I'm having to spend some time between turns thinking about the campaign layer since it's a little more complex than warhams but not as crazy complex as some mods

I still play it every few months since there are always updates

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Playing around with DEI again and I think the campaign set to "normal" is almost as hard, or harder, than some Legendary campaigns in Warhammer.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Rome 2 is absolutely a great pickup. It's come a long way from the "the ships are tunnelling through the beaches" day's of the release.

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

I love DeI but I also hate it because in every campaign I’ll eventually run into a reproducible crash during the AI turn and I have to end the campaign there.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
Played a campaign of Shogun 2 thanks to the tv show. The visuals, soundtrack and atmosphere are still great. Colourful armies look fantastic against green summer fields and it's neat to spot little battlefield dramas playing out.

What bothers me most on the strategy layer is the tech tree, where everything just takes far too long. This playthrough I aimed for matchlock samurai from the beginning, but was still 5 turns short when I finished the long campaign. If I had skipped the few economy techs I took, I might have trained some just in time for my victory parade.

At least in the later Three Kingdoms game it didn't seem too difficult to get to neat endgame units thanks to the retinue system.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Yeah I’ve been feeling that same urge to replay Shogun 2. The tech tree just takes a long time in the base game, so you have to prioritize what you want. Playing as a Christian diamyo can be a good idea if you want to tech quickly, since they get big research bonuses from their Missions. The Otomo also get early access to matchlock units, which means they can field them more consistently.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

Kaal posted:

Yeah I’ve been feeling that same urge to replay Shogun 2. The tech tree just takes a long time in the base game, so you have to prioritize what you want. Playing as a Christian diamyo can be a good idea if you want to tech quickly, since they get big research bonuses from their Missions. The Otomo also get early access to matchlock units, which means they can field them more consistently.

Pro tip: Get the shotgun cavalry. You won't regret it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, the shogun 2 ai isn't good enough to justify the tech tree times. I found had to crank the difficulty up a bit to stop myself from rolling down the island with 3 armies (one on each side, one reinforcing whichever is weaker before splitting off to attack the middle of those 3 city sections)

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Nethalin posted:

Rome 2 is great. It's probably their most polished and easy to grasp, straightforward historical title. The graphics on a modern PC look excellent. The game design doesn't feel like it's aged at all. I think it's their best game that doesn't have elves in it.

Polished? Are you serious? It's still filled with serious bugs.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

i havent had issues with rome 2 in the past five years, but it sure as poo poo aint the best historical when three kingdoms exists

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

To be fair he said most polished. Not that it was polished.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

PirateBob posted:

Polished? Are you serious? It's still filled with serious bugs.

Like what? I didn't run into anything i'd consider serious the last time I played. Did I just get lucky?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

dogstile posted:

Like what? I didn't run into anything i'd consider serious the last time I played. Did I just get lucky?

How about the one where the AI often can't disembark correctly during the many battles involving amphibious/marine units, leaving ships motionless where you can't even attack them? It locks the battle and the only way out is to admit defeat even though you'd easily win it under normal conditions.
Or the one where AI units get stuck on gates.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Guess I got lucky, I didn't get that :shrug:

I did get one unit stuck on a gate but that was remedied by me firing a catapult at it, which unstuck them.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean if your only gonna call a game polished if it has no bugs than A TW is never gonna clear that bar

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Wrong, FOTS is the most polished game in the world. Nobody can convince me otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Edit: like an idiot, i posted in the wrong thread

kanonvandekempen fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 9, 2024