Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Koramei posted:

Anyone played Rome 1 lately?

getting weird urges to play it again

Yeah, cavalry charges are so much fun, though fire arrows are weird framerate killers. Something about the battles just feels like imho the best in the series for feel, even if it's perhaps far too easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Holding off a breach in a wall with two units of the cheapest phalanx :allears:

Seleucid diplomat takes thirty turns to find you in Britannia, immediately declares war.

Build a fort near Cordoba so that you can massacre the population every time it inevitably revolts.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Still need to do a Barbarian Invasion rebel campaign. Last time I tried was right after writing a guide to playing as the rebels in RTW (the... original timeline RTW? Base game?), so I didn't have the energy to do the whole thing over again in BI.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be honest BI is my favorite TW game.there was a crazy mod that recreated the situation of Julian the apostate and I’m a sucker for trying to stabilize a collapsing situation

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be honest BI is my favorite TW game.there was a crazy mod that recreated the situation of Julian the apostate and I’m a sucker for trying to stabilize a collapsing situation

Have you considered applying for sa mod

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Have you considered applying for sa mod

:perfect:

Rome Total War 2 was such a bitter disappointment for me that I haven't preordered a game since.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Reminds me that it's been a long time since I played divide et impera I wonder how they're doing.
That mod goes up and downhill a lot.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
So nice to see that Three Kingdoms isn't forgotten:
https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1359819548107698178

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
How's Empire Total War's campaign? How's the battle AI? I've watched a couple of online battles and I'm remembering how fun mowing down entire armies was in Shogun 2. Will the AI do stupid and annoying poo poo like not form up lines?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Funky See Funky Do posted:

How's Empire Total War's campaign? How's the battle AI? I've watched a couple of online battles and I'm remembering how fun mowing down entire armies was in Shogun 2. Will the AI do stupid and annoying poo poo like not form up lines?

It will form up lines eventually but the battle maps are terrible and it has hands down the worst pathfinding in the series. Stick to Napoleon and play the campaigns of the coalition.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Empire battle and campaign AI may be the worst in the entire series, its really impressive how bad it is. Napoleon is much better.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
My memory of Empire battle AI is that it would frequently charge cavalry before the lines engaged, and do so directly into the line of fire. Sometimes diagonally. It was like a human player disposing of a bad general by intentionally killing the unit.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Thanks but I already lost enthusiasm.

Actually it's $10 on steam so whatever. Is Napoleon a fine enough experience on its own or does this Darthmod make it shine? Is Darthmod basically equivalent of uh.. the other thing for Rome 2. DEI?

E: lol darthmod replaces all the advisor icons with darth vader. Hard pass.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Feb 14, 2021

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The Napoleon campaign is good but otherwise both games suck unless you're really interested in the setting, and even then that might be enough to keep you engaged with it. I've played every Total War game and easily have thousands of hours played over the years, but I think maybe 20 of those were in Empire/Napoleon.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I know Darth Mod is a bit lolworthy around here but it really does help Napoleon out by adding in the good features from Empire that got cut for reasons. Fire by rank and volley fire units in Napoleon are great but they don't exist in the base game since the course correction from. The disastrous Empire launch was severe.

Rome 2 might have been the most broken total war game on launch but Empire is the only game that remained broken, dead and abandoned by the developers. At one time they only had a single person working on fixing the AI problems in the game and after Napoleon launched they left Empire to die.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Empire had... some good ideas? I liked the attempt to break up provinces into a bunch of locations so there was more going on in them then just having A Settlement. The biggest experiment was making the whole of France a singular province. Which in the end meant that defeating France involved winning a single battle. It just ended up highlighting the flaws of the way region control is handled in Total War but uh, they tried something different at least. Trade felt a bit more important? They finally did away with factionless rebels controlling the map, that was nice. Different theatres were interesting. And the navel combat wasn't bad.

But god, the AI couldn't handle any of it.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I couldn't get passed 10 turns into the tutorial mission without UI bugging and locking to the point where the only thing I could click on to get anywhere was quit to get back to desktop. So yeah. That's a refund.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I can't remember is Rights of Man an Empire or Napoleon mod? DARTHMOD Napoleon is good but the star war UI is peak Twcenter "don't like don't download you pontus lover" silliness.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Empire had... some good ideas? I liked the attempt to break up provinces into a bunch of locations so there was more going on in them then just having A Settlement. The biggest experiment was making the whole of France a singular province. Which in the end meant that defeating France involved winning a single battle.

But god, the AI couldn't handle any of it.
Having France and Russia (and whatever else) as massive, single-capital provinces was the worst possible decision and simple playtesting would have revealed this. They must have had a strict timeline for release or ran into some major issues that they had to firefight first because I cant imagine why the game was released the way it was. Having Sweden be playable was stupid because there was nothing you could do about Russia attacking every few turns because the AI was so dumb. It was impossible to hold Moscow because it would revolt every other turn but didnt make enough money to support having an army there to protect it. And if you gave it back to the Russians to buy peace, they just broke the peace deal and declared war a few turns later anyway, forcing you to go take Moscow again...

AI England was programmed to send a full stack army to Egypt on turn 15 or something. If you kill it as the Ottomans? They send another. All this only if the player is Ottomans, though. It was completely absurd.

edit: I would love to see Empire 2 (or just a new series name starting on a slightly different date if they decide Empire was too bad to iterate on) with 3K's city management style.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
So I am playing the most recent saga game, Troy. It's interesting. Alongside the usual proliferation of campaign bonuses and +3% modifiers to things, which I find rather irritating (the interface and all its various panels cover half the screen, so you can't properly look at the map) it does introduce some cool stuff.

I enjoy the wood/bronze/food/stone/gold resource split. Makes economic costs more engaging. Favour of the gods I'm less impressed with. It seems like a nice idea but they make it a lot of active busy work to keep up gods' favour ratings.

The combat I find good, with its focus on infantry flanking, but I had a couple questions:

What are the strategies for using your Heroes and neutralising enemy heroes? I feel like they're all very tough but not too punchy. The leading enemy hero always snags up a couple of my frontline units as I try to overwhelm the enemy, then as I'm trying to exploit a collapse in the enemy line my guys are stuck in combat. An elite combat unit will eventually take out a Hero, but it will go on for ages. A cheaper line unit will probably run away from the casualties the hero inflicts, before the hero breaks. What can I do about this?

How are people dealing with enemy missile units? I don't have chariots yet to chase down light troops. Can particularly fast infantry, e.g. Light Spear Runners, catch them?

A constant issue for me in modern TW games is destroying (not just defeating) enemy armies in the field. Back in Rome 2, I could chase every fleeing enemy down with cavalry and usually destroy an enemy force, or at least all their infantry, completely with a decisive victory. With the modern hitpoints system, it seems like loads of enemies get away. Does the game kill a notional amount of the enemy if you 'End Battle' as soon as they break? Or does doing so let them off scot-free? Don't know if I should sit there watching my men chase them every time.

Finally, is there any particularly strong economic strategy in Troy? I find I am barely able to sustain a single full stack (Menelaus, normal difficulty, around turn 20) and many elite units are punishingly expensive. Perhaps provinces with 4 settlements are exponentially more valuable due to the resource system?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Looks like there’s a 3K announcement in...85 minutes.

https://youtu.be/IUT063DejZ0

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Anno posted:

Looks like there’s a 3K announcement in...85 minutes.

https://youtu.be/IUT063DejZ0

A top comment:

"BREAKING NEWS: Large ratmen invade China!" :v:

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Three Kingdoms: Sixteen Kingdoms soon friends

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

The Chad Jihad posted:

Three Kingdoms: Sixteen Kingdoms soon friends

My China Can't Have This Many Kingdoms!

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Fate Reforged, new 3K DLC.

Focused around Yuan Shao and Battle of Guandu.

Also new lord in Liu Yan (Liu Zhang's Dad), with Liu Yan playable in 190/194 and Liu Zhang playable in 200.

The FAQ: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-three-kingdoms-fates-divided-faq/

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-three-kingdoms-fates-divided-faq/

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

sounds great. faction reworks for yuan shao and cao cao too. I'm more interested in the start date than the tiny "northern colonels" mechanics. I guess they're not characters but instead theyre equippable items that allow you to recruit.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
ert

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I don't understand, why is the legitimate emperor and true winner of the Three Kingdoms period, Yuan Shu, not in the new start-date?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

The Chad Jihad posted:

I don't understand, why is the legitimate emperor and true winner of the Three Kingdoms period, Yuan Shu, not in the new start-date?

He dead.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The Chad Jihad posted:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
At this point Han Sui is the only launch faction leader without a playable start, right? I assume he's bound to become playable in a future DLC.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I sure hope that's Zhang He being so prominent.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

McTimmy posted:

I sure hope that's Zhang He being so prominent.

The advisor? I think that's meant to be Xu You. He was Yuan Shao's military advisor and gave advice that would have probably won Yuan Shao the battle, but Yuan Shao ignored him so he defected to Cao Cao's side.

Azran posted:

At this point Han Sui is the only launch faction leader without a playable start, right? I assume he's bound to become playable in a future DLC.

Yep. I've been calling him thrown in with either the potential Nomadic faction expansion, or a Ma Chao/Tong Pass focused chapter pack.

Given that the chapter packs seem to be following the story chronologically now, I'm guessing we'll see a Liu Bei vs. Cao Cao/Red Cliffs focused chapter next, either a Korea or Nomadic expansion thrown in here, and then Tong Pass.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

red cliffs expansion has to introduce naval combat, right?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yuan Shao going from playing Go with Cao Cao in the first (I think?) trailer for the game to by himself here is kinda neat symbolism.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

red cliffs expansion has to introduce naval combat, right?

Probably in the guise of how Warhammer does it, but yeah I'd imagine so.

Anno posted:

Yuan Shao going from playing Go with Cao Cao in the first (I think?) trailer for the game to by himself here is kinda neat symbolism.

I dug that yeah, fits into Yuan Shao's character of being so arrogant losing a Go game against Cao Cao plagues him for years.

Also I like the end of the trailer with the cavalry ambush, given that was part of how Cao Cao won the battle.

And for people unfamiliar with RotTK, this is the battle that has these two things:

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Ahh, so the new DLC is going alt-history then!

This guy gets it

More seriously, I wonder how the new mechanics will effect the Yuan Shao Vassal Swarm

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The Chad Jihad posted:

This guy gets it
:hfive:

The Chad Jihad posted:

More seriously, I wonder how the new mechanics will effect the Yuan Shao Vassal Swarm
Or, when playing as him, his 75% discount on captain retinue upkeep.

edit: also, his inability to deal with corruption because his unique admin building replaces the one that allows for adjacent-commandery-reduction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Here's the YouTube VOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO5gyzf3Uos