Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I assumed things stagnated because most people were dead. Censuses taken during the Han and at the start of the unified Jin showed the population went from 50 million to 10 million, and the Jin were pretty rigorous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Looks like some embargoes are up. Serious Trivia posted a DLC Deep Dive video that I assume is comprehensive because it’s over two hours long, somehow.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Anno posted:

Looks like some embargoes are up. Serious Trivia posted a DLC Deep Dive video that I assume is comprehensive because it’s over two hours long, somehow.

The man used up all of his permitted time on this one video. Jesus christ (in a good way.)

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah I'm skipping through his video for bits I'm interested in, ST is a really good youtuber.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
hi all, I started playing three kingdoms after picking it up in the lunar sale. After having played Warhammer 2 for a while it's nice for a change of pace

I think my Sun Jian campaign is going to end well but it was rough going until I pulled a pretty comical move on that dickhead Yuan Shao. He voltron'ed a bunch of minors and wasn't happy with me but I noticed that he was stretched pretty thin and in a war with Ma Teng. I declare war on one of his vassals bringing him in but then all his other vassals broke off and became independent. To which I immediately broker peace deals with Liu Bei and Kong Rong. So Yuan Shao's kingdom is falling apart and Ma Teng loves me :swoon:

Diplomacy is so much better in this game than WH2. It feels a lot more dynamic and keeping an eye on relations is key to winning the game

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The diplomacy and campaign screen is full of life to the older TW titles and I think it's key to the franchise going forward. It works really drat well with the setting too!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Flipswitch posted:

The diplomacy and campaign screen is full of life to the older TW titles and I think it's key to the franchise going forward. It works really drat well with the setting too!
I agree about it being key to the franchise going further. If they can continue to improve and iterate on the diplomacy they could very much unlock the ability to do Empire 2 or just rebrand it to Imperialism or something. I would just love to see Europe brought to life with a campaign map to the standard and style that 3K has, especially if they gave it a similar system (updated to be European of course) of city management. Which reminds me that I would love to see more landmarks and have them actually do something. e.g. the canal near Chang'an (Mengguo Canal or something?) - if you look it up it was supposed to be a crazy boondoggle that was proposed by an agent of a rival kingdom but ended up vastly improving the farmland in that area with all the irrigation, so it would be neat if either there was a farm settlement there OR they added a modifier to Chang'an that if you build a farm in the major settlement it produces double the food or something to make the area unique.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
At least they’re finally nerfing caltrops, those things were absurdly lethal.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Edit: Lmao literally posted up the page

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I assumed things stagnated because most people were dead. Censuses taken during the Han and at the start of the unified Jin showed the population went from 50 million to 10 million, and the Jin were pretty rigorous

I feel like even if the Jin were being pretty rigorous, the general collapse of the central government would probably mean a lot of areas went "off the grid" (or whatever the 3rd century equivalent of that would be) since even with a conflict on that huge a scale, losing 80% of the population is pretty high. Even the black plague only wiped out 60% of Europe in the higher estimates.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah there's no way the figures are even close to that high; the drop is overwhelmingly going to be because of people dropping off the censuses, not actually dying. Not to say there wasn't still lots of the latter.

e: here's an askhistorians post that talks about it a bit. I guess they don't give anything totally definitively disproving it; maybe there hasn't been so much scholarship done on this yet, or not in English. But I've read about this exact topic in the An Lushan Rebellions (another war-related massive drop in the census figures) and the modern consensus is very much that records just fell off. People flee their villages, migrate long distances, local governments become more corrupt and ineffective. There is definitely plenty of bloodshed in historical China but nothing to the level of the recorded figures.

What it does mean though is that the state lost control of that many people, so them becoming correspondingly less effective still follows.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 2, 2021

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I play romance mode so those numbers are accurate

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

STs video now has me wanting to play Yuan Shao. The new units look really cool.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Flipswitch posted:

STs video now has me wanting to play Yuan Shao. The new units look really cool.
As someone who just recently played a bunch of Yuan Shao.... I'm glad there are other people they are adding for me to play as!

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

As a bandit emperor what is my prime minister post?

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Think it's worth emphasising that a reason why Shu and Wu lasted as long as they did was because their territories were extremely defensible. Shu was surrounded by treacherous mountain passes and Wu had the natural barrier of the Yangtze River. So they could afford to get away with lovely luck and the bad administration/corruption, which the kingdoms eventually succumbed to.

Big part of why once the period hits the Three Kingdoms proper, everything just kind of stagnated until the Simi Clan made their move.
I mean, it was also because Wei was genuinely poorly-led after Cao Cao died. Cao Pi was pretty smart, but also grandiose and extremely paranoid. He died of illness after less than a decade on the throne, and his son Cao Rui was fairly disengaged from governing. After he died young, Wei had a succession of child emperors. The greater Cao family, led by Cao Shuang, initially had the upper hand, but Sima Yi was very cunning and eventually managed to outmaneuver him. But he died soon after, and Wei’s internal strife continued, as the Wei emperors and their supporters attempted to remove the Sima, without success.

In any case, all this internal strife made it difficult to muster up any serious military expeditions, but Wu and Shu proved unable to take advantage(and suffered a ton of their own internal issues). Really, the primary reason the period lasted as long as it did was because all three kingdoms were total messes, and the period ended when Wei/Jin lucked into a few decades of internal stability and competence.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
There's a lot of grains of salt to be thrown about when assessing the abilities of an emperor, both because the analysis has historically been distorted and also because its mistaken to attribute so much to a single person.

Cao Rui in particular has been targeted by a fairly large number of frankly slanderous accusations from later historians who wanted to justify either why Jin was right in superseding Wei, or why Wei was illegitimate. By most accounts I've read, Rui was at the very least competent and was actually a lot more involved in defeating the Shu northern campaigns than he is typically given credit for. Cao Pi gets a lot of unwarranted flak as well since he get compared to his genius poet brother or his genius in general dead sibling or his cunning genius father; one analysis I read pointed out as well that the things he accomplished he managed to do so well that he made it look very easy and straightforward so popular perception is that those accomplishments must have just been easy and straightforward to accomplish (successfully deposing the Han emperor being the big example). He was also frankly kind of a petty dickwad about things. As for being grandiose, one of the historical criticisms was that he was not grandiose enough; his attempts to conquer Wu were undone by him not grasping opportunity with both hands and being deterred by some bad beats, so he gets blamed for prolonging things, justified or not.

There's a few other people that generally get the short end of the stick for narrative purposes, either in the novel or in historical analysis done with a political goal in mind. Non-gentry figures, figures that are disliked in traditional Confucianism (those mother fuckin eunuchs being a go to target), and people whose careers ended on a bad note (Yu Jin) or on the wrong side (late Wei/Shu/Wu).

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Mar 4, 2021

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yu Jin got done dirty imo. Gao Shun could have been a Wei Elite too but he was a bit too loyal.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Tiler Kiwi posted:

There's a few other people that generally get the short end of the stick for narrative purposes, either in the novel or in historical analysis done with a political goal in mind. Non-gentry figures, figures that are disliked in traditional Confucianism (those mother fuckin eunuchs being a go to target), and people whose careers ended on a bad note (Yu Jin) or on the wrong side (late Wei/Shu/Wu).
Remembering that the Cao emperors in general were also not looked upon well by Confucian gentry for being too Daoist-friendly, while Sima Yi was able to gain said gentry support by acting like he was a "traditionalist restorer".

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the confucian gentry class being incredibly vindictive comes up a lot in chinese history ive read, even tho a lot of times you have to squint for it since the people who wrote the histories were confucian gentry. i read about the qing dynasty and a lot of its problems came about due to not being han, not being proper gentry, and all the confucians holding them in baleful suspicion and backing rebel factions no matter how strictly they followed doctrine. a lot of the reform efforts ran into major problems since they would require undercutting the power of that particular group so anyone who pushed too hard to adjust to the rise of the european powers would find themselves in mortal danger.

that, and of course the goddamn landlords blowing up everything the moment anyone tried to extract taxes from them.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

From my reading of it it seemed to go downhill after Cao Pi rather sharply. Liu Shan is an interesting figure as well, there seems to be some disagreement on whether he was an idiot/disabled or actually quite shrewd considering how stable and peaceful Shu ended up being.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

From my reading of it it seemed to go downhill after Cao Pi rather sharply. Liu Shan is an interesting figure as well, there seems to be some disagreement on whether he was an idiot/disabled or actually quite shrewd considering how stable and peaceful Shu ended up being.

To my understanding, Shu was never really in a great spot, historically. Part of it was just economics, part of it was geography and the military situation in the south never quite getting resolved, part of it was that Zhuge, while fantastic in some ways, never really was able to set up an effective bureaucracy for one reason or another. Shu basically had no history department at any point, for instance. Shu being peaceful, meanwhile, is yet again really more to do with its geography and smaller size than any policy decisions by Shan.

Liu Shan put a lot of trust in Zhuge Liang and a few other officials to run things for him, and after Zhuge died he continued this policy of more or less delegating things to his officials. While this worked out since a lot of those guys were competent, it did inspire a lot of factionalism and lack of cooperation between different elements in the Shu bureaucracy and the whole thing coasted mostly off the efforts of brilliant people; in 252 it was Fey Yi who was said to be able to do a full day's work in one morning so he could spend the rest of the day holding parties and loving around. When Fei Yi got killed due to stupid poo poo the mantle of "super smart guy who will keep this poo poo going" passed on to more and more incompetent and openly corrupt people until you had it fall on Chen Zi and Huang Hao (who was a PERFIDIOUS EUNUCH) who were corrupt assholes who politically isolated their enemies, including the highest ranking military dude Jiang Wei who, free from Fei Yi's oversight, had spent this time throwing all of shu's military assets in a bonfire, and then Jiang Wei responded to this by throwing a fit and behaving more independently, which lead to him loving up their idiot-proof defensive plans, which meant when they got invaded by Wei they got completely wasted, and Liu Shan had wasted precious time hesitating so by the time the Shu responded to the invasion it was really too late and they lost despite their incredibly defensible position.

so I don't think Liu Shan was like, porridge brained level stupid but he was kind of useless, generally.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Thanks! That's super interesting to read. Was there any reasoning behind Zhuge Liang not instating any court historians?

Also for those mod inclined. MTU just published an update with completed art for the daughters of Guan Yu and Zhang Fei, Guan Yinping and Zhang Xueer respectively.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

i just tried my first dong zhuo playthrough, this is very stressful lol. it's like yellow turbans except everyone hates you even more. you have lu bu which is nice but its really hard to play the game like a bad guy. I just want to make friends!

I like how his missions are "kill yuan shu, yuan shao, and sun jian", easy, pretty hard, impossible. maybe if you sent a boat of troops downriver to stab sun jian in the face on like turn 5 that could have been a possibility.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Flipswitch posted:

Thanks! That's super interesting to read. Was there any reasoning behind Zhuge Liang not instating any court historians?

Also for those mod inclined. MTU just published an update with completed art for the daughters of Guan Yu and Zhang Fei, Guan Yinping and Zhang Xueer respectively.

Zhuge Liang just did it himself which is why Shu's history is just "drat Zhuge Liang is just the greatest isn't he?"

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

i just tried my first dong zhuo playthrough, this is very stressful lol. it's like yellow turbans except everyone hates you even more. you have lu bu which is nice but its really hard to play the game like a bad guy. I just want to make friends!

I like how his missions are "kill yuan shu, yuan shao, and sun jian", easy, pretty hard, impossible. maybe if you sent a boat of troops downriver to stab sun jian in the face on like turn 5 that could have been a possibility.

Now try and imagine it without the gates or the river being blocked.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

That campaign is my favourite to do "Lu Bu offs Dong Zhou, Gao Shun & Zhang Liao vs the World."

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

haha, I'm in danger!

the other warlords just steadfastly refuse to infight leaving them all to endlessly send max stacks against me. the coalition is supposed to collapse god dammit not last another 20 years!

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Serious Trivia put up a video talking about Cao Cao's start and a good amount of history behind the characters in his court. A good watch as always. I guess they'll be one of these for each of the 200 start characters.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
The Yuan Shao video is out now too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=549hOwqami4

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Mtu Wen Chou is being made into Shen Pei and apparently Yan Liang is becoming the drunk guy who lost his nose.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Tiler Kiwi posted:

so I don't think Liu Shan was like, porridge brained level stupid but he was kind of useless, generally.

I liked to see him acting a bit, like the Robert Graves version of Claudius. He's still alive at the end of it all because "hahaha I have to pretend I am dumb as soup or I am getting loving murdered".

Also do you have any more cool stories of Three Kingdoms folks? I love hearing these sorts of summaries.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

I liked to see him acting a bit, like the Robert Graves version of Claudius. He's still alive at the end of it all because "hahaha I have to pretend I am dumb as soup or I am getting loving murdered".

Also do you have any more cool stories of Three Kingdoms folks? I love hearing these sorts of summaries.

Let me tell you the tale of Zhang Zhao, the most stubborn man in ancient China.

One of Wu's most pivotal advisors and Sun Quan's closest friends, he was instrumental in Wu's administration and always spoke his mind to Sun Quan. This resulted in lots of arguments but because Zhang Zhao was almost always right about it the two made up after Sun Quan realized he done hosed up. One time, after declaring Sun Quan's latest attempt to ally with someone foolhardly, Zhang Zhao locked himself up inside his esate for months. Sun Quan got pissed and tried to meet with him, but Zhang Zhao wouldn't have it. So Sun Quan buried the outside of his gate with dirt. So Zhang Zhao buried the inside of his gate with dirt.

When Sun Quan's newest ally betrayed him, Sun Quan came to aplogize but Zhang Zhao still wasn't listening. So Sun Quan decided to set his gate on fire.

Yeah.

But even with part of his goddamn house on fire Zhang Zhao didn't leave. His family literally had to kidnap his rear end and force the two to sit down and talk it out and make things right.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Sun Quan in general was kind of a mess. Supposedly he had such an issue with alcohol that he instructed his guards and those close to him to ignore any orders given when drunk.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Hunt11 posted:

Sun Quan in general was kind of a mess. Supposedly he had such an issue with alcohol that he instructed his guards and those close to him to ignore any orders given when drunk.

Ordering your top bodyguard to strip in public was a totally cool thing to do.

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 6, 2021

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Josef bugman posted:

Sun Quan once sent 10.000 men off to sea to look for some mystical islands, only 10% of them returned claiming to have found one of them. Demented old fool.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

If sending your armies on a wild detour to colonize Taiwan is wrong, I don't want to be right

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hell I do that as Kong Rong

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

this is a good resource
https://dongzhou3kingdoms.tumblr.com/totalwarprofiles

this one is alright too but be aware this fellow has very strong opinions (that shu sucks, mostly)
https://the-archlich.tumblr.com/character_analysis

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Tiler Kiwi posted:

this one is alright too but be aware this fellow has very strong opinions (that shu sucks, mostly)
https://the-archlich.tumblr.com/character_analysis

Guy's very knowledgeable but also very smug. Enjoy looking through his Tumblr from time to time though, hard recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

Thanks! That's super interesting to read. Was there any reasoning behind Zhuge Liang not instating any court historians?.

missed this but afaik the simplest answer is just they didn't have the resources and/or the organizational capacity to spend on that effort. its one of the first things that get cut when you're looking to be efficient.