Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Communist Thoughts posted:

I desperately want a new gunpowder game other than FotS but in my heart I know it'll be medieval 3 :(

If they go for medieval 3 i hope they bring back the darker and gritty vibes from medieval 1. And bring back Sean pertwee as the announcer. "Craven whore's son that he is, the enemy general flees!"

EDIT:
oof, page snype have a medieval catte:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

nobody cares about page snipes fyi

I like the cat though

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Isn't the next historical TW game confirmed as the other Three Kingdoms game in development?

I'm mostly curious if this new Troy DLC adds any new mythos units.

I could be totally wrong, but I got the impression that the next 3k thing is going to lean heavily into the story/romance side of things. It seems they are going to more or less abandon the historical side and embrace the dynasty warriors part.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
With this DLC, Troy has been considered done.

So it seems that right now, we have Warhammer 3 in development along with a new saga game to be announced.

I'm not sure if it's going to be the Three Kingdoms sequel since I think it wouldn't be well accepted due to how they pulled the plug so recently from the previous game, but outside of maybe a new Empire Total War, I'm drawing blanks on what they might do.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

They've already said they're working on the next 3k, though what it will look like no one is quite sure since the description is open for interpretation

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
The next time they do a full on historical game is 100% going to be Medieval 3. There is nothing else they could do that would have even close to the draw of Med3. Warhammer was so incredibly successfully there is no way they are going to focus on a historical game that isn't also going to be hugely successful.

That said I don't think we will see Medieval 3 for a while. We might see a few saga games between. Or really they might release no full games and just ride the Warhammer 3 dlc train to the bank for like 4 years.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I feel like there's enough of an audience for TW games that doesn't care for Warhammer that they're not gonna stretch it to that extent; I reckon we'll get some news about the next major title not too long after 3 comes out, it's already gonna have been like 3 years since 3 Kingdoms launched at that point.

the building text and stuff is all very cynical, plus stuff like if you have a low tech low military build your public order is made up of happiness but as you advance you need to stack up "repression" instead as unhappiness gets larger and larger.
the text for the fort building that raises PO is "how many stones does it take to crush hope?"
stuff like that

I only noticed it on one of my last playthroughs but its probably the best written TW game and as your tech progresses things generally are described in bleaker ways as war industrialisation begins to take over everything

All the little blurbs and stuff in Shogun 2 are super evocative and well done; the layout's not so amazing but the presentation (art, sound, text etc) of the campaign UI in that game is... to be honest imo it's gotta be one of the best in literally any game ever. I'm hard pressed to think of one that tops it at least, it's clear and clean but also distinct and evocative.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean we know they are just doing China again. So we know the next historical title.

Even though I don’t think I’ve heard poo poo about it since

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Total War: Heavenly Kingdom please

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I've been assuming that the next 3K entry will be the actual 3K era, with Shu, Wei, and Wu dominating the map. You will finally get to benevolently spike your baby into the end zone as the one true scion of Han.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Dec 4, 2021

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Total War: Heavenly Kingdom please

Extremely strong yes please to this, a 19th century China TW is my biggest historical want from the series now.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
boxer rebellion would be fun, but there weren't really a lot of battles and unless you broke it down into week long turns, the time frame is incredibly short.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
They didn't say they were doing China in general, they specifically referred to Romance of the Three Kingdoms as the franchise so I wouldn't get too excited for any Chinese history outside of that.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

boo boo bear posted:

boxer rebellion would be fun, but there weren't really a lot of battles and unless you broke it down into week long turns, the time frame is incredibly short.

The Boshin War was both shorter and less bloody than the rebellion and they made a whole game for that. I think they could manage.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Captain Beans posted:

The next time they do a full on historical game is 100% going to be Medieval 3. There is nothing else they could do that would have even close to the draw of Med3. Warhammer was so incredibly successfully there is no way they are going to focus on a historical game that isn't also going to be hugely successful.

That said I don't think we will see Medieval 3 for a while. We might see a few saga games between. Or really they might release no full games and just ride the Warhammer 3 dlc train to the bank for like 4 years.

I would go ballistic for Medieval 3. I like warhammer, I found Shogun, Empire/Napoleon and 3 Kingdoms interesting ideas that didn't quite hit for me. Very keen on Troy, Britannia. But the ones I've truly played to death have been Medieval and Rome (inc Med2 Kingdoms and Barbarian Invasion, Attila etc). Call me a raving Eurocentric wanker if you want. I just like knights.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm bored by another medieval. Oh boy, twelve more identical euro factions. Spain will have mounted skirmishers, France will have the best knights, England will have longbowen, HRE will have pikes, and Hungary will have hussars, the other 90% (if we're lucky) will be identical rosters.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm bored by another medieval. Oh boy, twelve more identical euro factions. Spain will have mounted skirmishers, France will have the best knights, England will have longbowen, HRE will have pikes, and Hungary will have hussars, the other 90% (if we're lucky) will be identical rosters.

Not identical, but dlc as long as the eye can see.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I feel like the things that they had to innovate in TWWH to make all the different factions actually different will help them make future historical games better. All the cool ways they differentiated the four major faction types (Han, Yellow Turban, Nanman, Bandit) in 3K make them all play pretty different. On top of that, the unique faction mechanics that each playable faction within those three major groups further differentiates gameplay. Like I said before, I would die for a Medieval 3 built on top of 3K's core. And no I'm not saying carbon copy it; 3K has things that could be improved/innovated upon to make it a more Medieval experience while improving on the parts of 3K that people dont like/are tedious/are bad.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I will take this over another 3 kingdoms games, especially since we just did that

I mean think I’d they followed Rome 2 with 3. Even as someone whose favorite period is Rome I don’t want that

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Thry can do whatever they want next, I'm not buying it after they've shown little of a gently caress they give about anything that doesn't instantly start printing warhammer level money.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

boo boo bear posted:

okay but the taiping war was 15 years long and had lots of battles

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I think those kind of campaigns work better as DLC like the Augustus campaign. Where it’s a specific campaign without a ton of replay ability. So you get it cheaper

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

By the way, the final Rome Remastered patch has a SLEW of new things unlocked up for modders and the community is super excited. Unlimited factions, unlimited super-factions, unlimited cultures, unlimited religions (new ways for religions to interact like heretics vs heathens) , ways to modify the campaign and battle ai (different battle Ai for different factions now possible), unlimited "Marian reform" type events, code in general being cleaned up and a lot easier to work with, it's all very cool. Who knows if it'll trigger a big renaissance but it's going to be great to see what the existing modders do with it

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

ShootaBoy posted:

Thry can do whatever they want next, I'm not buying it after they've shown little of a gently caress they give about anything that doesn't instantly start printing warhammer level money.

what
they gave plenty of post release support to thrones of britannia and Troy, which nobody cares about, gave Three Kingdoms several expansions and updates, I don’t get what this means

is it still the “hey we’re done with our finished product, please look forward to our next product” announcement

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Its called warhammer is still getting support and new content with its sequel two months out after nearly 5 years, while 3K got shuttered after barely two years and several pieces of DLC that were promised never came or the bugfixes that were supposed to come with them.

You can do what you like but its ridiculous to act like CA doesn't have a favourite.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
It's literally just 3K they did that for.

Which yeah did suck but it still got a year's support and it seems like part of the problem was the direction they initially planned to take it vs the direction they realized it needed to go with the new Chinese market were so divergent that it needed a totally different approach.
I'm of course just assuming but I think it's reasonable to give the benefit of the doubt, and people taking the *1* piece of additional DLC they tentatively announced as some sacrosanct oath is exactly the reason they stopped giving us state of the teams updates where they mention future plans like that.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be fair I’m pretty sure they shelved 3k not because it wasn’t doing enough numbers, but because just releasing the game again with some new gimmick will make even more money.

Completely unrelated to Warhammer but still greedy

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

It got six paid expansion packs and some pretty major free patch overhauls. So yeah it sucks that it wasn’t supported longer, but it got major support while it was active. I’m also curious what the fundamental changes are that they believe can only be solved with a brand new game.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm more curious in what bugs are still present in 3K that makes the game feel incomplete, since it's by far the best and smoothest total war game of the historical saga so far.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

ShootaBoy posted:

Its called warhammer is still getting support and new content with its sequel two months out after nearly 5 years, while 3K got shuttered after barely two years and several pieces of DLC that were promised never came or the bugfixes that were supposed to come with them.

You can do what you like but its ridiculous to act like CA doesn't have a favourite.

Warhammer is a much bigger and varied world than China circa 200AD. Of course Warhammer gets more content. They’re making a new 3K thing anyway, just not bolting it onto the game we got two years ago.

Mans posted:

I'm more curious in what bugs are still present in 3K that makes the game feel incomplete, since it's by far the best and smoothest total war game of the historical saga so far.

Pretty much, and the announcement that it’s now done and stable just means modders can go nuts without being worried about future incompatibilities.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mans posted:

Yeah I can count the number of obvious bugs on one hand and none of them are game breaking. I'm disappointed that 3K didnt get another DLC or two because the quality of the last one was fantastic and there are some places where some more content or pretty-ing up would be nice but overall the game is great and I cant really complain.

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair I’m pretty sure they shelved 3k not because it wasn’t doing enough numbers, but because just releasing the game again with some new gimmick will make even more money.

Completely unrelated to Warhammer but still greedy
I did hear/see that DLC sales were poor but I'm not sure how reliable the source was and cant find it right now, but in any case I agree with the sentiment that it getting shelved was greed related.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Anno posted:

It got six paid expansion packs and some pretty major free patch overhauls. So yeah it sucks that it wasn’t supported longer, but it got major support while it was active. I’m also curious what the fundamental changes are that they believe can only be solved with a brand new game.

The main complaint people had about 3K is that while it simulates the early period of warlordism very well the actual war of the three kingdoms is an endgame slog. They've also probably reached the limits of how character driven a warscape game can be, so I'm holding out hope for something new built from the ground up.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The problem with 3K was that I was about 2/3 of the way through my first campaign before all the game mechanics finally 'clicked' for me. The colour coding is surface level intuitive, but it took me a really long time to appreciate that researching 'green' techs didn't just make my farms better, I would also unlock units that would complement a 'green' focus. No other TW game structures itself like that.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Yeah I definitely find myself bouncing off it more than any other title when I launch it up. The times I've really dedicated time to playing it properly have been great but there is (to me) something surface-level that's kind of unappealing.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
lmao at the idea of 3KTW being shelved because of greed after patches and DLC brought a significant amount of content to it. people out there really having their idea of post-launch support getting skewed big time by outliers

not to say that games getting extensive post-launch support is bad, loving duh, but they're absolutely outliers considering usual practices

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

No xiongnu was a major let down, also no actual three kingdoms period

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

lmao at the idea of 3KTW being shelved because of greed after patches and DLC brought a significant amount of content to it. people out there really having their idea of post-launch support getting skewed big time by outliers

not to say that games getting extensive post-launch support is bad, loving duh, but they're absolutely outliers considering usual practices

Oh yeah apparently now getting 6 DLC mini expansions is abandoning your game.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

As someone whose favorite TW game ever is 3K, I get that most games don't get as much post launch support. But what what made it really sting is

A) the video announcing the ending of post-launch support was really misleadingly titled "the future of TW3K" so it sucked that the answer to that question is "no there is no future,"
B) There were still DLCs they had previously said they were going to make, including the actual, literal Three Kingdoms era, and
C) not only did they say there would be no more DLC, they also said they weren't even going to *patch* the game anymore when there are still some really annoying and obvious bugs to fix. You still get a big treachery penalty for defending your vassals, for example

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

In still calling it greedy you can lol if you want I guess

Because it is greedy by the way incredibly so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Sucks too because sun ce was one of the most fun historical total war campaigns ever imo and it would be nice of they could bring that same energy to a proper 3 kingdoms start