Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I've been playing a Ma Chao campaign and one character I really want to try to snipe in my current war vs Gongsun Zan is Zhao Yun. He's an absolute monster to fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

Jimbot posted:

I started to play another game of Shogun 2 again but this time as Oda. Any tips? Is that clan's special units worth getting?

Yari ashigaru are useful for the entire game and their special unit is a better version of that. The Spear Wall ability is kinda so good that Yari Samuari never become needed as they don't have it (without mods). If you stack armour upgrades then you can run giant killing peasant armies for almost the whole game for cheap. Although upgraded ranged and horses are the real killers.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Jimbot posted:

I started to play another game of Shogun 2 again but this time as Oda. Any tips? Is that clan's special units worth getting?

Peasants can do anything (except chase down routers, you need horses for that).

Get used to defending castles with small forces of mostly-ashigaru, and don't overextend. Assume you may get attacked from every direction at any time.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

A Perfect Twist posted:

Yari ashigaru are useful for the entire game and their special unit is a better version of that. The Spear Wall ability is kinda so good that Yari Samuari never become needed as they don't have it (without mods). If you stack armour upgrades then you can run giant killing peasant armies for almost the whole game for cheap. Although upgraded ranged and horses are the real killers.

So should I just replace normal ashigaru with the long yari if my economy can handle it?

Krazyface posted:

Peasants can do anything (except chase down routers, you need horses for that).

Get used to defending castles with small forces of mostly-ashigaru, and don't overextend. Assume you may get attacked from every direction at any time.

Yeah. Takeda delcared war on me and as soon as I got close to Uesugi's territory they declared war on me. I'm going to assume that everyone who borders my territory will declare war on me. I'm surprised Hojo hasn't yet.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 2, 2020

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

my personal speculation for when we do get a new start date is just after Red Cliffs. You got Wei on the back foot, Gongsuns in the north, the Rice Sect in Hanzhong, Shi Xie in the south, and Liu Bei and Wu in a very uneasy alliance. Just add some event scripts or mission goals for Xuande to seize Shu and you're all set.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Have you ever seen the Tokugawa survive more than like, three turns? I thought it was funny how the clan who won the real war got obliterated immediately in every game of Shogun 2 I ever played.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

To be fair, didn't the Tokugawa actually lose repeatedly and just accepted being toadies to the winner each time, until eventually Ieyasu outlived Nobunaga and Hideyoshi and tried again?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

To be fair, didn't the Tokugawa actually lose repeatedly and just accepted being toadies to the winner each time, until eventually Ieyasu outlived Nobunaga and Hideyoshi and tried again?

More or less. they started off as a minor vassal of the Imagawa, and through a combination of extreme luck and clever strategies eventually managed to leave their service and survive as an independent clan until Oda Nobunaga nearly unified the country, and then after his death he managed to navigate being neutral until he rallied the main anti Hideyoshi forces and seized power for himself.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Eimi posted:

More or less. they started off as a minor vassal of the Imagawa, and through a combination of extreme luck and clever strategies eventually managed to leave their service and survive as an independent clan until Oda Nobunaga nearly unified the country, and then after his death he managed to navigate being neutral until he rallied the main anti Hideyoshi forces and seized power for himself.
One story I heard to this end was Tokugawa Ieyasu essentially coercing Nobunaga into relieving the siege of Nagashino castle, hence the iconic battle, by threatening that if he didn't Ieyasu would not only capitulate to Takeda Katsuyori but also become his vanguard against Nobunaga.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Is there a good tv show or series covering the shogun timeframe like 3k has?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I don't recall any,except shitton of manga. I really liked "Heaven and Earth" movie, but it looks like I'm the only one.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

yikes! posted:

BBC put out a 2008? series about Tokugawa Ieyasu which I think is scattered around Youtube.

Can't remember if it's that great, it is in English if you're not a sub fan though.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

japan puts out a drama every year
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiga_drama

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Jimbot posted:

So should I just replace normal ashigaru with the long yari if my economy can handle it?

I never felt like i had to. The long yari are cool but the usual yari hold just as well. Get a commander with "stand and fight" and they'll punch way above their weight. I found i'd have a line of ashigaru and then a Katana unit at each end cut their way down the line. Any freed up ashigaru would just go reinforce places that were crumbling.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

How does Shogun 2 hold up? Same with Attila? Have they aged well?

Dong Zhou just got assassinated in my Kingdom of Wu playthrough ...on turn 193. lol.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I still like playing Shogun. Attila doesn't for me but i never really liked it in the first place.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Shogun 2 is still good, but I find it hard to get back into now-a-days.

Still think Attila is pretty fun given it's the most "sandbox" TW I've played. The 1217 mod is worth looking into as well, the closest thing to a Med 3 currently.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Flipswitch posted:

How does Shogun 2 hold up? Same with Attila? Have they aged well?

Dong Zhou just got assassinated in my Kingdom of Wu playthrough ...on turn 193. lol.

To be honest, I find Shogun hard to go back to after experiencing 3k's engine. The unit movement and animation in general feels stiffer and the thing that really stands out is how archery and arrows are handled. The effect and impact of arrows hitting a unit in 3k is just leagues better than what happens in Shogun. I would kill for Shogun 2 using 3k's animation engine.

Attila is still playable, but it's highly dependent on if you like the time period. I often find myself booting up Attila, and then just switching to Rome 2. This is probably because when playing a game involving Rome, I'm mostly interested in playing as Rome and the Rome experience in Attila is a bit of a slog. YMMV.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
On further reflection I don't actually like playing Shogun 2, I like playing fall of the samurai.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

My mind is slightly blown that it came out in 2011, it doesn't feel like it's been 9 years. It still looks great but I'll pass, thanks for the replies all.

Also the Dead Barons Unit Packs for 3K I mentioned a little while ago keep getting updates, he's started adding unique units for each faction which is really nice and expands the rosters even more. I haven't tried the officer unit pack though, that one seems like a sort of non-merc retinue for other factions? Combined with the unlocking parent faction units mods you can get some really diverse armies all holding ji.

New additions from today are:
Army of Solving Troubles, Naval Infantry Unit - Sun Wu specific.
Spearhead Suicide Squad (Weird name) - Yuan Shou Crossbow/Spear Infantry.
White Horse Cavalry, Halberd Shock Cav - Gongsun Zan.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Aug 3, 2020

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.
I really love the setting of Shogun but I can't go back to it after 3k. Between the diplomacy changes 3k has, the crap naval battles in Shogun, and just dealing with agents in general, I can't do it. Looking forward to the next game that takes advantage of all the advancements made in 3k.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Shogun is still the 'purest' TW to me, i think it holds up really well if you can accept its limitations. FotS also owns

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Naval battles are the worst thing and even if you cheese it up and have cannon ships you can't autoresolve. Just absolutely terrible design.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, I had forgotten how lovely the Naval battles are. But I guess that's pretty much the case in every total war.

I like the Warhammer approach, your navy just finds a conveniently placed island and everyone disembarks to have a land battle on it. All TW games going forward should take this approach.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

yikes! posted:

There's the adaptation of James Clavell's Shogun, which takes liberties with the history but is pretty good anyway. Both book and the miniseries.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Grand Fromage posted:

There's the adaptation of James Clavell's Shogun, which takes liberties with the history but is pretty good anyway. Both book and the miniseries.

I read the book as a kid and basically the only thing I remember was a lot of dildos and horniness

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Communist Thoughts posted:

I read the book as a kid and basically the only thing I remember was a lot of dildos and horniness

I watched the series a while ago and from what I remember they made the protagonist a bit of a prude had him lusting after a pure, christian, monogamous relationship with some unobtainable princess or whatever. The story that focused on the daimyo was cool though.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

For the curious this is an earlier adaptation of the story of William Adams than the more recent Nioh.

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.
If anyone happens to collect records the 3K soundtrack is up for pre-order and it looks pretty good!

https://www.lacedrecords.com/collections/total-war/products/total-war-three-kingdoms-deluxe-triple-vinyl

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Dramicus posted:

Oh yeah, I had forgotten how lovely the Naval battles are. But I guess that's pretty much the case in every total war.

I like the Warhammer approach, your navy just finds a conveniently placed island and everyone disembarks to have a land battle on it. All TW games going forward should take this approach.

Troy apparently does!

I liked the naval battles in Empire and Napoleon, but that’s really the only period they’ve done where they feel like a must-have.

So I finally caught up on the latest dev diary. Exciting to hear that they’re working on bigger expansions. I like the DLCs for 3K but they also feel a bit small.

Only track I need from this OST is the trailer song for the Mandate of Heaven trailer.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I really liked the 8 Princes Trailer song.

If Troy has land-naval-battles, then that's pretty good. No need to put in a half-assed battle type that people will want to autoresolve.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Absolutely loved ROME 2 naval battles.

Just a bunch of triremes smashing each other, having no space to back away for a second ram and just staying there idle unless you manually moved every ship.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I liked them too, but only after a lot of updates. I think most people just have flashbacks to the horrendous launch naval battles.

Once complete they were fun because of how many different ways you could approach things. Nimble ranged unit filled ships to kill the enemy crew, boarders, ramming, siege weapons, it all interplayed nicely.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

My "fav" part was 120 soldiers during boarding action suddenly deciding to go back and sink with their ship.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Honestly I actually like the Shogun 2 naval battles too, there's a decent amount of strategy to them and they shake things up a bit.

The problem is how you have to do like 5 every single turn if you want a serious naval presence.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

alex314 posted:

My "fav" part was 120 soldiers during boarding action suddenly deciding to go back and sink with their ship.

or when the AI does an amphibious invasion of your settlement but one boat bugs and doesn't actually disembark so you have to run the 60 minute timer to the end.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I've watched a few new Troy videos, and I like what they are doing by adding more terrain features, like high grass, mud and so on. It makes things a little more interesting than just having trees and open ground. I get the impression that Troy is more of a test-bed for mechanics. Quite a few of the things I've seen would translate well to WH3, or even 3K. I wonder if there's a chance of them adding in extra mechanics to 3k via DLC.

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.

Dramicus posted:

I've watched a few new Troy videos, and I like what they are doing by adding more terrain features, like high grass, mud and so on. It makes things a little more interesting than just having trees and open ground. I get the impression that Troy is more of a test-bed for mechanics. Quite a few of the things I've seen would translate well to WH3, or even 3K. I wonder if there's a chance of them adding in extra mechanics to 3k via DLC.

Yeah I'm still not sold on the campaign side and the UI/style it's going with, but oh my the maps are fantastic. The variety I've seen so far is really cool, loads of choke points and various interesting terrain types!

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Armani Glasses posted:

Yeah I'm still not sold on the campaign side and the UI/style it's going with, but oh my the maps are fantastic. The variety I've seen so far is really cool, loads of choke points and various interesting terrain types!

I agree about the campaign. I doubt Troy will have the same legs as Warhammer or 3k, but I'll probably get a good 20 hours out of it at least. And it's free, to boot, so I can't complain.

However, I can complain about them choosing to release their free game in the middle of the week. Why not just do it now and let us play over the weekend? It's not like they have to worry about maximizing their opening week of sales, cuz, you know, its free.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
That's pretty much the only reason i'm not complaining. I was "cautiously optimistic" but the more I see the more i kinda go "ehhh, i'll try it i guess"