Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
How can I set the camera controls to best mimic those in Shogun 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Stupid me: Rome.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Picked up FOTS on the Steam sale. Really enjoying it. I'm fighting against the Emperor with as many traditional units as possible. I'm pleasantly surprised at how doable it is. Archers outrange standard gun units (140 vs 135) and katana & yari infantry can easily take them in melee. Ninjas make siege battles a cakewalk, too:
-Position your ninjas (I always have at least 4 units) as near as possible to the keep.
-Hold your ninjas at the start of the battle. Make sure they're not too close and are detected.
-Use any artillery you have to blow open the gates (if you haven't sabotaged them), take out towers, thin numbers, etc.
-Bumrush the walls with your main force and try to occupy as many of the enemy's units as possible.
-Use your ninja's sprint and stealth ability to quickly get to and up the walls. Send one to cap the keep, starting the 60 victory counter, and the others to take over any towers and engage incoming units.
I also like to keep any cavalry hidden in any trees/brush at the opposite gate when they're sabotaged before the battle. Once the main forces are engaged, I'll rush in and flank them with horsies.

The pacing of everything feels increased, but not to a hurried degree, too. I'd been playing Empire before the Steam sale, and everything just felt so slow. Troops take forever to march, canon take forever to reload, etc. FOTS just feels so much more snappy. Maybe I never noticed it in Shogun 2 because of the lack of guns and artillery.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I've been having an issue with loading Shogun 2. Google says others have as well, but I've yet to find a fix other than running Steam in offline mode. Every time I try to launch, it gets to the splash screen then crashes the game with an error that steam detects I'm running a pirated copy of FotS or using a cheat program.
I've reinstalled and deleted every trace of Shogun 2 from the registry multiple times, but I still get this error. I've used ESF a couple times in the past to mess with some save files, but that's it.
I was actually playing the game just fine earlier in the morning on the same day this started happening.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Pope Mobile posted:

I've been having an issue with loading Shogun 2. Google says others have as well, but I've yet to find a fix other than running Steam in offline mode. Every time I try to launch, it gets to the splash screen then crashes the game with an error that steam detects I'm running a pirated copy of FotS or using a cheat program.
I've reinstalled and deleted every trace of Shogun 2 from the registry multiple times, but I still get this error. I've used ESF a couple times in the past to mess with some save files, but that's it.
I was actually playing the game just fine earlier in the morning on the same day this started happening.

This problem magically disappeared. :iiam: Hope it doesn't happen again.

If I remove unit MODs I've downloaded, will it affect my save games at all, or will it just convert any MOD units to the vanilla one they were based off of?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I don't care what anyone says that's a robot horse and I want one.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
For some reason I feel a bit silly asking this: are there any rifle type units in ROTS? I have FOTS, and while it's fun, I greatly prefer earlier periods to line infantry. I'm assuming there's a larger focus on bows and melee than rifles?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Koramei posted:

Rifle units in the 12th century? :haw: No, no there are not. The arquebusiers you get in vanilla are one of the earliest forms of mainline gunpowder troops in the world. The closest you'll get in RotS is an army of fire rockets.

That's sweet. Unfortunately, I didn't do my homework when I bought FOTS and didn't realize it's standalone :smith: Technically I don't "own" Shogun 2, and I don't feel like paying $40 for ROTS.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'm in the US, and all I can find are the Master Pack for $50 and Shogun 2 for $30 & ROTS for $10. I can wait for a sale.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Enigma posted:

What's your steam id? I may have a spare Shogun 2 key. I'll check in the morning.

Really? That'd be awesome. My Steam ID should be S0cr8t3s.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Enigma posted:

Sent you a friend invite.

Awesome. I'll jump on when I get home later.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I've been trying to play E:TW but it won't load for some reason. I made sure all files relating to E:TW were gone (including previous saves and settings under 'My Documents') and did a completely clean install from Steam.
Whenever I try to laucn the game, Steam does its "launching" thing, the splash creen comes up, then nothing. I don't even get the black screen before the game loads.
I completely uninstalled everything again and reinstalled using the discs. After letting steam run all the updates, I still end up with the same result.
Running as an admin and/or in compatibility mode does nothing. I'm at a complete loss as to how to launch this game.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I verified the cache after it failed to run each time after both installs. It never came back with any problems. I even turned it off and back on again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Captain Beans posted:

You are missing cleaning out some txt file that I forget the name of.

It's the file where you specify mod load order, and it is not under my games. Look for any total war poo poo in:

C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\ The Creative Assembly\...

Finally got a chance. Tried and didn't work :saddowns:
I hit Play, I get the 'computer working' cursor, then nothing.