Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

SHISHKABOB posted:

My most used generals always end up being completely insane, incredibly lewd and prone to fits of rage. Or alcoholics, or cuckolds. I guess the curse of world domination is you end up stark raving mad.

That always happened to me in the first Medieval. About a third of my generals would end up fat, drunk, or inbred (or some combination thereof). In my current game as the Germans, I'm having a strange trend of skeptical/rationalist-type traits and religous fanaticism showing up in a single character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

I recently started playing Rome again and I decided to go looking for mods. All I want is something that makes Rome a single faction and cleans up the biggest history flaws, making Egypt the Ptolomys, fleshing out the Barbarians a bit etc. Everything I find is either pretty much maximum over :spergin:. Do any of you guys have a recommendation for something that tightens the game up a bit but is still accessible?

As I recall, Rome: Total Realism did those things without changing the game all that much.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Also, you missed a great opportunity to use "barbarian" in its historical context. :colbert:

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I'm probably alone in this but I still say the Total War series peaked with the first Medieval. Rome was fun but it had god-awful AI and none of the charm or atmosphere of its predecessors. Medieval 2 barely even qualifies as a separate game aside from a few things like the different settlement types. I admittedly haven't played any of the others (and I hear Empire is pretty good) but it would take a lot to enrapture me the way Medieval did.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

shalcar posted:

Good news (maybe). I was exactly the same with the love for the first Medieval, but Shogun was my first Total War game and Shogun 2 really grabbed me once I got over all the changes it made. I would rate it as good, if not better, than the original Medieval in terms of the fun in watching armies clash and managing your provinces.

Wait, you heard Empire was good?

Well, I have a friend who really likes it. I honestly haven't been following the Total War series very closely for the last few years.

Good to hear that Shogun 2 is so good, though. Maybe I'll try it out now that I'm getting back into the games a bit.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Hargrimm posted:

If you want to try Shogun 2, a lot of people in this thread have coupons for 75% off, so be sure to get one before you buy.

You actually just reminded me that I got one of those a while back. Looks like it expires the day after tomorrow, so I might as well use it.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I tried to get Medieval + Viking Invasion to work once but it turns out the game completely shits itself when confronted with modern hardware.

It can be made to work, actually. It used to have an issue with AMD video cards (but that's been fixed) and there's kind of an obscure fix that involves swapping out a pair of art files or something, but it runs just fine on my Windows 7 system.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

SheepNameKiller posted:

ahh there you go now you've just gone and lost all credibility

It might have been Napoleon, more specifically. And like I said, I haven't paid much attention to the series post-Medieval 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I'm curious, the Rome remaster adds merchant characters, right? Are they like the merchants from Medieval 2? Because those were loving awful and I don't know who would ever want them backported.