Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

alex314 posted:

I've watch some YouTuber play a siege battle and I'm a bit concerned about scale: your generals have a couple of units each, so your main army ends up with 4 generals and 20 units total that represents one stack. So it will either scale down on number of units or I'll have to keep track of 100 generals late game. I don't think many TW fans will find fun in "I need to assault this city, but my main sword guy hates heavy spear strategist dude because they fought 10 years ago on different sides."

I don't see any problem with that. In the videogame biz they call it 'emergent gameplay'.

Having a few too many generals does seem like it might be an issue but I get the impression from the promotional stuff so far that the general can recruit any number of units up to twenty but having a mixture gives you access to a wider selection of units and a mixture of skills.

The game looks promising. I hope it lives up to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"
I don't know if 3K will be a good game at launch but I do know that we should argue about it breathlessly until the next info dump.

It's the only sane thing to do.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

Does anyone know if all the voices are in English for 3K?

I have only heard dodgey Brits and the occasional Chinese accented English on the pre-release stuff. The songs in the background have been in Mandarin though.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

Gadzuko posted:

I believe they've said that the English version will have the option of either English VA or Chinese VA with English text

Cool. I hope they also went so far as to include the correct dialects.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

Catsplosion posted:

Booked a week off so I could settle in and play this heavily for a few days. Literally the only game I was looking forward to this year, even if the release was going to be a hot mess as per usual and now it's pushed back again.

Thanks CA :v:

Now you have a week off to go outside, explore the world, exercise and be social.

My condolences

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

Diogines posted:

I have heard some very mixed things about the AI so I want to ask again. How is the battle AI? Bad? Bad by Total War standards? Can it defend in an open battle, attack or defend a siege? The standard for Total War games is not very high but they range from "okay" to "utterly terrible". Where is this one?

It's pretty good. I did notice that in a siege defense the AI left some archers on a wall doing nothing while I went to the left of their field of view. They didn't move when I stormed through the hole I made with the trebuchets to their left and they didn't reposition when I was inside the walls. They eventually fled when I claimed the victory point.

Apart from this, the AI handles matchups okay and throws the generals into combat when it gives an advantage in both romance and records. It's more aggressive in romance mode. I haven't seen the suicidal behaviour of generals from Shogun 2. Don't expect miracles but the AI has improved.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Okay I broke down and got this on the basis of the 20% discount. What's a good starting faction if I'm only vaguely familiar with the period?

The three first coalition guys (Cao Cao, Lui Bei, Sun Jian) are the three whose families made up the 3 kingdoms leaders. They are your basic start factions CA say Cao Cao is the recommended one as the easiest.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

Zurai posted:

Sun Jian is the easiest start IMO. Just give the Imperial Seal to Liu Biao when the story event pops and devour the Han Empire provinces to your south. If you want more of a challenge -- because that will be an incredibly easy victory -- instead keep the Seal and fight off Liu Biao and his vassals before you expand.

The difficulty comes later. His resource is based on winning battles with causing huge casualties but you have no enemies in the south apart for a tiny amount of Han provinces. You can also over-expand which bites when public order causes rebellions far from your armies. The merc general things supposedly help but I rather like the characters.

Eventually you'll have to go north and this is where who you will fight becomes an issue.

I have made it to the endgame with Sun Jian. I want to off the others before Sun Jian dies (he's 72 in my game). I have had fun. I don't think I'll play warhammer for a while.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

Zurai posted:

I won a game as Sun Jian and was maxed out on Heroism from the time I started expanding until the end of the game. All of those Han provinces still give you more Heroism than you lose from decay for auto-resolving them and getting 400 kills to 30 losses. And every once in a while you'll get into a spat with a neighbour and get 80 or 100 heroism for stomping their armies flat.

I only started getting high heroism towards the pointy end of the campaign. Mostly I was at it's second tier. I should have chased down more people after they ran.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

Koramei posted:

Someone mentioned a while back that you can get an auto-generated spouse in the family tree or something? How do you go about doing that? My poor Kong Rong is almost a duke now but he's still living the bachelor life and since he has no living family I'm not really sure what happens if he takes an arrow to the face.

On the family tree there is sometimes a 'Seek Spouse' button for some characters. It has a price tag. I think it only looks in your court and candidates. Doing marriage via diplomacy is more powerful and dramatic but can have blowback .

I was getting marriage proposals from nobodies in my Zheng Jiang game and decided to click the button to see what would happen. It just matched her to a Champion I was thinking of wedding her to without the option to disagree with the choice.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

Autism Sneaks posted:

I don't know if the repeating crossbowmen are bugged or something, like someone forgot to add a zero to some of their stats or whatever, but they are absolutely not worth it. Regular crossbows would be all-time MVPs if they worked with Flaming Arrows, but their repeating counterparts have almost no range, terrible damage, and seem to hate just shooting even with FAW toggled without constant micro; they're not just a pain on the field either, as they are also complete dogshit in auto-resolve.

They are a status affect unit that gives suppression. It's meant to spoil big charge based units. I never use them but they might be useful for high level play with a general giving them more ammo.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Counterpoint. FOTS had obnoxious single ship fleets being able to destroy your entire economy and a defensive AI so passive that it would wait on the opposite end of a far too large map for you to come attack them.

Vanilla shogun 2 had the best naval battles because it was just a brawl with rowing vessels setting each other on fire.

I won a few naval battles in vanilla shogun 2 when I first played and didn't really understand why. Then I lost one and didn't really know why. I just auto resolved from then on.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

It bothers me more than it should that way too many historical characters have generic portraits. Increase your art department, CA! I hate playing as Cao Cao because he's basically the only unique dude for a large chunk of time.

I accidentally got rid of an Important Dude who shows up to Liu Bei because his stats weren't great and I didn't need him. I don't think he even had a gold name.

Fix this! Or at least I hope mods can eventually do this. And have style-matched art and not weird anime stuff like that sexy strategist replacement mod.

You get rid of the important dude because he doesn't min/max hard enough and then blame CA.

A shameful display.

Unless they are feuding with everyone, are incredibly unhappy and/or lame from injury you shouldn't delete them from your faction. Just retire their army and use them for missions or postings.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

McTimmy posted:

Sun Jian died, Sun Ce died

Gongsun Zan was a douchebag

Kong Rong did nothing, really.

So much drama but yet some constants.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

Verviticus posted:

ive finished like five games now and i dont think ive ever seen sima yi or zhuge liang. not just for me, but at all. why on earth did they decide characters like this should be random

wow, those look really really good

He turns up on the wandering people you can hire. He is a level 7 guy you have to promote high up straight away or he leaves. He's easy to miss even if he does show up. For me he's always turned up early in the game if he does show. If you aren't far enough into the game he'll have to be made faction heir which can be good if your faction heir sucks. It's cool. Be cool.

The correct answer is to play as Zheng Jiang.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

Boing posted:

Absolutely huge update announced for Warhammer II.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnKhFaijBBI

Empire rework, new mechanic for imperial confederation; a button named 'summon elector counts'; new legendary lord Markus Wulfhart fighting lizardmen in Lustria, and he can recruit Vermintide type cross-race heroes to help out; war wagons; new start position for Balthasar Gelt.
Lizardmen get Nakai the Wanderer as a horde subfaction, razordons, sacred kroxigors, dread saurians, new Gor-Rok subfaction as freeLC.

And it releases in less than 2 weeks. Insanely hype right now.

https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1167076114323398656
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-warhammer-ii-the-hunter-the-beast-faq/

All the changes sound really fun

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

Zurai posted:

Someone gave me pretty detailed advice about starting Zhang Jiang a while ago, let me see if I can dig it up.

I didn't have great success with ambushing for Step 8/9, instead I just stuck around in my city and killed everything when he stormed the walls.

Killing the Mountain King guy is the best start regardless of how you kill him. I'm currently trying a buddy-buddy approach. He took the iron mine in the starting province early so I'm working my way to buying it off him while raiding Dong Zhou for cash. Diplomacy has been bringing in the big bucks.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

Asehujiko posted:

WTF is wrong with He Jin's army, why does he move at 1/3rd of the speed of everybody else? Three times now I've slowly lumbered up to a YT settlement, only to end up assisting some other rear end in a top hat who overtook my army. Also not digging the emperor's play style of having 30 lovely courtiers who's only possible interactions are distributing their skill points that they'll never use and voting the worst one of them off the island to replace them with some other lovely courtier who so happens to have a red marker instead of a green one next to their name.

I remember from the trailers that the removal of eunuchs from the court causes a hit to money but does this extend to food/supplies? I think a tanking of supplies messes up an armies ability to move and replenish. Just guessing.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

alex314 posted:

It drops food production by 1.

It was only a guess :shrug:

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

Ok I'm out. Three failed attempts at the Liu Bao start. Just the combination of having to rush the objectives (not to end up getting crushed by one of the turbans as the mandate war triggers), the objectives being able to just dash way and delay you for turns (what the gently caress) and Liu Bao being the worst low-level general ever means I'm just out. This isn't fun, it requires cheesing everything super hard to even stand a chance and whomever thought this was ok should be fired.

Turn down the difficulty. You are not ready :colbert:

I've been playing the defensive turban guy. It was a tough start and I restarted a few times but now it rules.

Disclaimer: I like challenge campaigns like Belegar in warhammer or Zheng Jiang in the vanilla 3k. Everyone has different tolerance levels for difficulty. It's okay to do other things.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

???

He starts with no cities and two full stack yellow turban armies possibly (largely up to RNG) in his questline path. All the city-holders in your path are allies and the entire point of the opening is that you're supposed to be a roaming army.

Liu Biao and Liu Bei are different people (same family name). One is an old Han governor and the other is an idealistic warlord. Both are commanders that buff morale and missle block on shielded cavalry. Your initial post talks about Liu Biao being hard but I think you meant Liu Bei is hard.

Edit (for clarity): I am going to try a Liu Bei run soon.

A Perfect Twist fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 25, 2020

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

Eimi posted:

I've been holding off on 3K, despite being interested in it, but after seeing it not budge below 25% off in the last few steam sales, I guess I'll ask is it worth it/does it have as much replayability as TWW?

The gameplay in 3K is less about military domination and more about diplomacy and strategy. You can still end with the usual doomstack dogpiles though.

There's very little of the asymetrical armies that TWW has but there is also a less grindy endgame. You could argue that 3K at it's core is better than vanilla TWW2 but warhammer has so many add-ons that it's content is much wider. On the flipside warhammer has a horrible geeky fanbase who decries every new thing as ignoring some bullshit that was in the lore X editions ago, the addition of any female characters/units(this is bad for all total wars though), faction reworks DELAYED!(boo-hoo-hoo), and etc.

Really, all the goodies in 3K would make TWW a much better game if they went in. The diplomacy and deals you pull off are dope. Trading food. regions and retinue is great. Allies can stick with you and enemies can turn into game-long friends. The inter faction drama is really rewarding. You have more options to achieve victory than killing everybody. TWW3, whenever that comes, could be the Big Kahuna of the bunch.

A Perfect Twist fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 25, 2020

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Total War: Age of Coups

Pax Americana expansion

a player is confused about which Bush they picked

The only good one was Jeb! :shepface:

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

Eimi posted:

I ended up getting 3K but I have to admit I'm overwhelmed by a lot of the campaign map stuff. The building/research system is a lot more obtuse than TWW and a lot of the stats seems bizarre to me, like what does +1 retinue per season mean? Why do I want to build military buildings if they don't change what I recruit, which seems to be just pure tech trees. Also I'm not quite sure what a general like Cao Cao should do on the battlefield, like I understand your blue generals are terrible at fighting and for archers, green are your fighting guys, purple are...defensive fighty guys?, red are for fighty guys for infantry, and no idea what yellow do. The UI is very slick, though it also requires me to relearn what to watch for to make sure all my dudes are fighting.

Also for income do I want to focus on peasantry or try and do industry?

Start with this : https://youtu.be/jMayJMMjWpE

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

Enigma posted:

Then why should I ever accept duels?

It's a gimmick for people who like big characters. It's fun while it lasts. I switched over to records when I stopped enjoying it.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

Arbite posted:

So if I've already got Sun Ce married into the family I'll need to divorce him to get Sun Ren later?

I love that 3K turns this thread into some sort of warped historical e/n drama fest.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

Jimbot posted:

I started to play another game of Shogun 2 again but this time as Oda. Any tips? Is that clan's special units worth getting?

Yari ashigaru are useful for the entire game and their special unit is a better version of that. The Spear Wall ability is kinda so good that Yari Samuari never become needed as they don't have it (without mods). If you stack armour upgrades then you can run giant killing peasant armies for almost the whole game for cheap. Although upgraded ranged and horses are the real killers.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

I wanna hang out with this guy. He knows what's up.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Considering that nobody paid for it and nobody is playing it I can't really blame them.

Is anyone here still playing? Does anyone here still even have the epic game store installed?

Sort of... yes. I downloaded the game on release date but have never actually played it. I'm a bit time-poor but on the time I did have I played other things (Baldur's Gate 3, 9 Monkeys of Shaolin, etc.)

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

Shogun 3.

I would buy Shogun 3 the day of announcement. So many fond memories of attempting (and failing) to make the Uesugi campaign work in Shogun 2 on legendary difficulty without cheesing the game.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

Dramicus posted:

This has been the least exciting but quite interesting campaign that I've done so far. A few quick battles against Yuan Shu in the first 5 turns followed by 50 turns of building economy and end turning and checking each turn if anyone is within -40 for cooperation and then negotiating it with guaranteed autonomy + a bunch of payments. I'm currently paying out 8.7k per turn for these agreements while collecting almost 16k per turn from the vassals.

It's been amusing to see everyone slowly warm up to vassalage due to my snowballing economy + vassal horde. I just got Cao Cao to agree. It's a bit funny. Everyone loving loves me too. No one on the map has negative opinion.

I'm playing Gong Du and own all of the northwestern section of China and this guy keeps pinging me with vassalage. He has two small vassals in the south west but maybe a commandery or two to himself.

He says my greed is repulsive when I decline

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

The Deleter posted:

Mandate of Heaven and World Betrayed are generally considered the best.
  • Mandate of Heaven adds the three principal leaders of the Yellow Turban Rebellion, alongside Emperor Ling if you want a "manage a collapsing empire" scenario, Liu Chong who runs around beating up other people and taking their stuff, and Lu Zhi who I've never heard anyone talking about. It also adds an earlier start date to just before the rebellion rises up and the coalition forms.
  • A World Betrayed adds a later start date with Lu Bu and Sun Ce as their own playable factions. Pick Lu Bu and see if you can beat up every other combat badass in the game.
  • Eight Princes adds a way later start date with none of the characters you know. Skip.
  • Furious WIld adds the Nanman tribes to the souh. They're generally off playing their own game of confederating each other, but if you want to take them north and beat up the Han, or if you wanna have ELEPHANTS AND TIGERS, its worth considering. Also it adds flamethrowers.
  • Fates Divided adds a later start date where Cao Cao and Yuan Shao are about to throw down. This is pretty skippable since you're essentially given a suboptimal, large empire to start with and you don't get the joy of building your own empire and making your own alliances.

Grab the free characters as well since y'know, they're free. Somebody wants to play as old man Tao Qian, I guess!

e: there's also the blood dlcs but I don't think they have ever looked good in the history of total war. that one's literally personal preference.,

This is solid advice :thumbsup:

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

Earwicker posted:

i havent really played the warhammer games much but those are newer than fots and i think they have artillery? or forms of magic that essentially function as artillery. is it any better in those?

Yes it is much better.

3K also has gunpowder canons and catapults with special fire shots.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

Koramei posted:

Impressions I heard from the beta weekend were pretty strongly positive; notable especially since CA is wildly unpopular right now.

I've been incredibly un-hyped but if you'd told me 5 years back I wouldn't have been all the gently caress over a bronze age era TW title I'd have thought I went insane. So I'll probably get it. At least so we can have some kind of discussion on it in the TW thread lol.

The game looks okay with some decent twists. It's not a home run but it's a on-base it, to have a sports analogy.

I didn't pay for Troy (got it for free via Epic Games Store but I have never played it) and I really did not enjoy TROB much. I may pick up Pharoah if it has an option to use voiced lines in Egyptian/Turkish/whatever that is not English because having goofy English lines for non-english speakers is something I hope died with Rome 1. Plus it really is missing the Blood pack to give it the grim look to what is a time of civilisation end.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

as someone who can understand turkish, it would be loving awful to have the cartoon hittite monarch come out and start speaking total war diplomacy lines at me

In 3K I turn the Chinese voices on. My wife (native Chinese speaker) can not stand them but especially Zheng Jiang. I find it hilarious that it gets that reaction.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

Hah, is it that the VA is rough or are they just cringing due to familiarity

I think it's a little of both.

I always thought the VA was pretty good but doesn't really nail the victory "Hhhheeeeeaaaarrrgh' as well as she could have.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

Kazzah posted:

There’s gotta be one Pharaoh player ITT, right? How’s things?

The IGN guy liked it but said only the Egyptian lands and factions are fully fleshed out. It got me intrigued so I'll pick it up when I'm done with Phantom Liberty CP

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

you're paying full price for something you can get a better version of in a half dozen cheaper games so unless you really love chariots I don't see the point

I've been watching a guy on YouTube, called Lionheart, play Pharaoh and it's battles look mechanically interesting.

You can order units engaged in melee to advance while fighting, pushing the opponents back if they are inferior or wrong footed or order the fall back order that draws them. Archers can use fallback stance as a better version of skirmish. Archers are more deadly with direct fire but have more utility/less damage with arching fire. Some units can change between one handed with shield or switch to two-handed for more damage. Which gods you spec into look cool and is generally historically acquarate in that different Pharoah's would attempt to install their preferred pantheon on the populace to control what they learned. The Sea peoples are a growing threat and might give a satisfying endgame. In other words, these are novel expansions on older ideas.

When he showed off the other cultures they just seemed to be more boring versions of the Egyptian factions. If they do an expansion into parts of the map to the South and South-East then I would be really interested in how they're handled even if they have to lean into historical guess-work.

The guy rarely uses the weather to his advantage so he's not engaging with all the systems but the battles look fine.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

Agean90 posted:

Gun levies suck, avoid using them.
Spear levies are useful throughout the game, they can 1v1 any cavalry unit, can charge through a volley of fire from gun levies and rout them in melee, and even through a volley from line infantry and tie them up for a while even if they lose
Line infantry are good additions to your army but until you get other modern units to round them out +province buffs they're best used to supplement your army rather than make up most of it

It took me a few bad starts to realise that gun levy are almost worthless. I couldn't figure out why gun stocked peasants were so much less effective than spear armed peasants.

I should re-download.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

PirateBob posted:

Jesus christ... in a game that's over 10 years old and was patched for 5 years they never managed to fix the bug where the AI's ships won't unload when attacking your port city. Some of them just get stuck in the harbor and, if you have battle time limit turned off, you have to concede defeat even though you have been doing everything correctly. gently caress's sake CA. :ssj:

Shogun 2 was released in 2011 and they never fixed that Hattori & Tokugawa ninja field units are meant to be better but by error more expensive and worse than everyone else's.