Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Was that an official mod conference or a player run thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Bring artillery?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Just be aware that units route more easily in Shogun, so keep your guys supported

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Renounced posted:

It just seems that alliances are awfully thin in Shogun 2, so I'm assuming I'm missing some subtlety in the diplomacy mechanics. I've had some vassals, but most of the time I'd just rather have their land than their unwavering support. I remain undeterred, but I'm tired of every campaign turning into an unmanageable poo poo-storm after 40 or so turns.

So I guess what I'm getting at here is, I'm wondering if it's possible to maintain stable alliances in Shogun 2 without resorting to shoveling money in their face.

One thing I learned somewhere (maybe here) is that you can treat Military Access like a Non-Agression Pact, the AI is willing to leave you alone and not suffer the big honour hit for backstabbing. If you can't ally with your neighbour then try for Military Access.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Alot of us got burned by Empire and didn't buy Napoleon for a long time, or not at all. When you play it its easy to see that Napoleon is better, but the scope is much smaller than Empire, and I dare say, "boringer".

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Morholt posted:

Did the hoplites hold their spears overhand or underhand? I've heard it both ways.

The most likely answer is both ways, over arm while in the phalanx, and switching to underarm when the formation broke up, as in during a rout or for more open combat in general. Remember that the Greek spear, the doru, had a bronze butt spike acting as a counter-weight so was easier to use while overarm. In the Anabasis Xenophon mentions hoplites fighting in more open order several times so we just have to assume that hoplites didn't exclusively fight in a phalanx with overarm spears. Like all bodies of fighting men there was a degree of flexibility.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Screw the new games when EB2 comes out for Medieval 2 its a instant reinstall for me.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I'm fine with low morale as long my my dudes had a good chance to rally before running off the map. Say my line is broken and most of my guys are running away, but my small reserve is holding off the enemy cavalry so no rout is taking place. It'd be great if most of my guys reformed at the edge of the map to fight again, their original position is now lost to the enemy so I'm fighting from a disadvantage anyway. I remember this happening back in the first Shogun many years ago.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
No I love that too and its the main reason I've installed EB on every machine I've had since it first came out. Goddamn there is nothing like right clicking on your Gaesatae and reading a detailed history for 5 mins.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
EB is still user friendly? Apart from the area of recruitment and government system its the same base game?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Hopefully Rome 2 will see the return of large scale modding that they skipped from Empire to now. Lots of companies right now seem to be re-embracing modding as an appeal to their games, I just hope CA follows suit.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Based on their attitude with Napoleon and Shogun 2, I very much doubt it - CA have decided there's more money to be made in selling DLC unit packs.

I guess I'm getting my hopes up because Fraxis tried the whole DLC civ packs for a while and have just recently released a full modding suite. Plus Skyrim was undoubtedly helped in its sales by its modability. I'm hoping that everyone has realised that straight up DLC isn't wanted on PC, and we return to the golden days of mods (and crazy modders).

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
One of the reasons I never played Napoleon as much as the other games was I want to build my own empire, not have one handed to me like "here, fight amongst yourselves."

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I just uninstalled Empire :(

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Can't wait for the Screaming Germany Crazy Ladies DLC unit pack

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
And Orcs are the best.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I wouldn't mind if they just leave out Elves because they're the most generic part of the game. Old world map stretching north into the wastes, east into the Ogre lands and south into the deserts.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
If they're adding a horse archer faction it'll be the Parthians. Personally I'd like a Pontos faction, the helenophile Eastern kingdom has always fascinated me.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Its kinda interesting how the games are called Total War, yet the time periods are based around dynastic wars which tend to be very limited and opportunistic.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Doubling the amount of units on screen like that might make having a reserve a thing now

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I'd actually like to see a change in the economic system to be more like Supreme Commander. Instead of a flat amount of currency from which you buy stuff, it uses your economic potential instead. For instance you can buy up to and over your potential for a while, until your reserve currency is gone. This would let you buy a massive army in a time of emergency, used it until the crisis is over and then disband without going into the red and ruining the rest of your economy.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Yeah troops have always been taken from settlement populations until Empire.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Bloodly posted:

False. Not with Medieval, and not with Medieval 2.

False. With certain Medieval 2 mods they have. (because I can't remember the last time I played unmodded Medieval 2)

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Maybe they should've made sieges a multi-stage affair then. If you are the besieger, then losing your first siege assault doesn't result in your army being routed and the siege being lifted, but it just means you didn't get in this time, you can retire to lick your wounds, the city is still besieged, and you can come back next season. If you are the besieged then you can sortie out and take out some equipment or whatever, maybe even lift the siege if you do well enough.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Any recommended mods for Shogun 2 that don't radically change anything but improve gameplay and don't included any pop culture references?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I'm fine with mass routing if only they'd they rally more often. Sure my first charge failed, but let me set up for a second.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I remember guys rallying all the time in the first Medieval. The first charge would get put to flight and most of the guys left would rally in front of the battlefield border. You'd have time to re-deploy and the enemy would be all spread out. I also don't believe cavalry should have a free time hacking down fleeing troops, just look at the casualties British cav took chasing down routing French after Waterloo.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Did anyone use the renaming system from Empire? I think I did it once or twice for some units that did a few amazing things. Units with personality would be amazing though.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Is there any problems with installing the Radious mods through Steam Workshop? I've never used it before so I'd just like to know if theres anything to look out for.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
The worst is from Stainless Steel which allowed the AI longbowmen to plant stakes at any time during the battle, so you'd set up a sweet charge on them then have 3/4 of your knights fall over and die. Maybe this is just from an earlier version, I haven't played SS in a few months.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I noticed the Ikko-Ikki in Radious can recruit normal Samurai, which spoils it a wee bit for me. Are their stats worse than normal in any way?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I'm the same, if I'm doing too well I get bored and give up.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Turning off the radar was one way I made Empire slightly more enjoyable for myself and then they went ahead and introduced hardcore battle mode in Shogun 2, step in the right direction right there.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
My first game was Hojo. I converted to Christianity as soon as was possible and had an amazing campaign. The Mori were able to claim the Shogunate while I was reenforcing my position in the north, so after some quick diplomacy with the Oda, the only real power left in central Japan, we formed an alliance and move to stop the Mori. 2 Oda, 2 Hojo and 3 Mori stacks met not far from Moni Province. The Mori stacks contained only Samurai, while mine contained loads of artillery and cavalry. Que the Mori taking the defensive on top of a nice big hill. My cannons have a field day. The battle was epic, most of the Oda ashigaru were put to flight but at the end when Hojo stood ontop of the hill amid the waves of bodies, Oda stood with him much depleted. This happened in my first ever campaign.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
No they launch naval invasions all the time. You will sink many full stacks being transported on a few bow koboyas

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Its pretty ironic that your priests need loads of piety to enter the curia

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
What if its like Empires release AI where everyone just runs back and forth in a giant line, CHANGE PLACES! :allears:

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Why does Radious mod add samurai back in for Ikko-Ikki? Kind of ruins them for me.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Gonna give SS 6.4 a try after many moons without it, anyone have any good recommend submods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Koramei posted:

The Roman maniple system is basically flat out better than the hellenistic phalanx

This flat out isn't true, the maniple system is alot more tactically flexible than the phalanx, which gives it alot more opportunities to win combats, which lead to battlefield victories. That said though, the use of phalanxes is historically heavily dependent on the quality of generalship and officership leading them. They're not meant to just stand there looking menacing, much as we're taught otherwise.

The "Romans style" units are misleading as well, while there was a shift towards heavier individual infantry in the Helenic world it seems to have been more heavily influenced by the invading "Celtic" peoples in the 320s (who smashed the remnants of Alexanders army who had made it back to Greece). Military societies tend to be very traditionalist, but without a doubt hoplites can and did function outside the traditional phalanx. Switching your shield to a tower type may not have been such a big deal? Its hard to know.