Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

tokyosexwale posted:

Buyer beware. I just purchased Fall of the Samurai and the DLC bundle from them. The unique activation key they e-mailed me was invalid. I contacted customer support. I'll update once I hear from them.

As a counter-point, I bought the pre-order clans bundle, and all 4 of the keys the e-mailed me were fine. Not saying you aren't having issues, but it doesn't look like the whole system is screwed.

EDIT: Just as a thought...you are using the keys they email to you, correct? The order confirmation number is just for record-keeping with their site, the Steam Keys are sent in separate emails.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

tokyosexwale posted:

Yeah. Looks like my credit card company jumped on the transaction as 'outside normal purchases' and declined the transaction. Not sure what went on there as I use it for Steam all the time. No harm no foul though since I didn't lose any money. I might try it again later or just wait for the inevetable Steam sale. Good to hear other people are having no problem though.

If you want, we can probably work out a deal with you paypalling me and me sending you steam keys

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I've encountered a weird glitch. I'm playing a co-op campaign, and while attempting to disband some troops, every time my friend's game crashes. Any idea what may be causing this?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Just got a 60 mb patch for Shogun 2 with no patch notes. Anyone have any idea what got added/changed?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Koramei posted:

Unrelatedly, has anybody tried Total War Battles? Is the faction pack that comes with it random?

I haven't bought the Steam version, but TW: Battles on iOS is pretty fun. It feels less like a "TW game" and more like a "Shogun game" but that's not reflective of the gameplay, just the presentation.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm assuming these screenshots are all best-case scenario. Optimal conditions, the best rig they can put together. I would be very surprised if there's not a wealth of graphics options that'll let this game run on older hardware.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Heran Bago posted:

I picked up the total war collection on Steam and I remember there was a goon recommended order to play the games in. What is this general order, and is it to decrease disc space usage or to play the more dated games first?

My personal recommendation is to work from oldest to newest; if you start new, you run the risk of getting annoyed when connivance features from the newer games aren't in the older ones. Also, skip Empire, Napoleon is better.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SeanBeansShako posted:

Fall of The Samurai is half off in todays Autumn STEAM sale.

It's not a daily deal though. It's possible it'll go cheaper.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Chomp8645 posted:

B) Do I care much about additions to the campaign

If you primarily play Total War games for the single player campaigns then you may want the clan packs (Otomo Clan, Hattori Clan, etc). They each add a fairly unique new clan to the single player campaign, However none of them add anything to the multi player with the exception of a few retainers included in the Ikko-Ikki clan pack, so if you're primary interest in the game is for multi player you can probably skip these over. Other than that get the Dragon Battle Pack if you want more historical missions (and have Fall of the Samurai), and get the Blood Pack if you want cartoonish blood effects that look like there were made by an amateur modder who got lost from the Nexus.

Don't do this. Dragon Battle comes with Fall. The Dragon Battle pack is for people that do not have Fall but want the historical battles in vanilla.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The Moon Monster posted:

Thanks for the advice. I'm primarily interested in SP and I'm a huge nerdlinger who thinks Samurai are cool so I got Shogun 2. Holy poo poo 20 gigs.

That's because there's full cross compatibility for all the Shogun 2 stuff. You're installing Shogun 2, Rise of the Samurai, Fall of the Samurai, and all the other little stuff inbetween. If you were to go buy Fall of the Samurai right now, you'd only download a few more megabytes.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

concerned mom posted:

I wonder why make it free day-one DLC? I guess they've already planned what's on the disc?

Gets people connected to the online component. Is Rome 2 gonna be Steamworks? If so, this'll get people who maybe just use steam as a client to play games they've bought at retail and plugged in CD Keys for to actually check out the Steam store. From there, they might become regular customers.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

cafel posted:

Ugh, I promised myself I would never pre-order another game, especially if the pre-order gets you some DLC stuff, because overall I think it's a lovely business practice. But I've played ever TW game since Rome and I've enjoyed them all, even Empire. So I'm definitely going to pick this up and I'll probably enjoy it, but I'm waffling on whether I should break down and pre-order it.

If I may ask, what's wrong with companies offering preorder bonuses? Incentives for early adopters is nothing new, and at least with a DLC pack, late adopters aren't screwed out of ever having access to the content.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Azran posted:

Personally, I prefer pre-ordering once I either
a) get into a beta/demo and I like what I see
or
b) we know everything about the game.

Right now, there's been zero talk about the multiplayer system - for example - and that's one thing I'm interested to hear about. But at the same time, I like being able to pre order sooner when it's a promising game. Waiting for Wargame: Airland Battle to be available as a pre-order made me realize that. :v:

Well, game isn't out til September. Plenty of time to get lots more information about it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

wid posted:

It's not a bonus if it's a feature they held hostage. A bonus would be something like alternate skins, like alternate Spartan skins or music CDs and stuff that doesn't make those who are not pre-ordering missing a part of the gameplay. It's also different from DLCs, which are added content.

The preorder bonus this time around is a DLC pack. You either get it for free with a preorder or you can get it later by buying it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

cafel posted:

Because a lot of game studios have been taking games, especially with well known brand names or developers attached to them, hyping them up and putting out free pre-order DLC. Tons of people pre-order, reviews are held to the day of launch and then a couple hundred thousand people get their pre-orders and realize the game is poo poo while the company goes laughing all the way to the bank. For the latest major example see Aliens: Colonial Marines.

The problem that I have with pre-order DLC especially is that it's content that really feeds into this cycle and it encourages developers to move resources away from the base game to material that encourages people to take a blind flying leap off a cliff and by doing so fuel much of the current lovely game development. Those that don't pre-order a game that does turn out to be good are gouged later by being asked to pay for content that could have easily been included with the base game. As time has gone on game developers have realized how lucrative pre-orders and day one DLC are and have devoted more and more resources to it, all at the expense of the base product.

Now I'm not saying that Rome 2 is sure to suck or anything, and even if it does I'll probably still pick it up at some point. But I really want to step away from the gaming nerd habit of throwing fistfuls of cash into a flaming pit.

We'll have to agree to disagree then. I don't agree with a lot of what you've just said, but I can't articulate my reasons well enough to have a decent debate with you.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Shorter Than Some posted:

Why preorder a game like 5 months in advance anyway, even of you want the preorder bonus what advantage does it offer you over ordering the day before?

For me, a lot of it is "I have the money now, might as well get my preorder locked now in case early september is full of wallet-draining emergencies."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Spirit Tree posted:

Have they announced that Rome Total War 2 would be Steamworks or not?

As in if I bought it off the sega store, would it be going through Steam or standalone?

Yes, Rome 2 is Steamworks.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm becoming more and more pumped for Rome 2. I really like the concept of Total War Rome, but I've only ever played Shogun 2, so I can't bring myself to go back to one of the oldest games in the franchise.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

dogydemoc posted:

I just got Empire for my birthday, and having never really played any Total War games I'd be grateful for some tips, especially for the campaign side of things. I know it's not regarded as the best in the series but I really like the look of Rome II so I thought I'd try one out before it's released.

Rule Number 1 (that I've found, anyway) is don't get cocky and don't overextend yourself. My first few Shogun 2 campaigns were disastrous because I got overconfident and marched the entirety of my army forward to glorious battle, got my poo poo kicked in, and then didn't have anything left to defend my lands.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I find out tomorrow if I get a promotion or not...if I do, my first fancy managerial paycheck is going toward this game.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Do we have a firm release date on Rome II yet? Google tells me october, Wikipedia tells me September 3rd, Steam just has September.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Varam posted:

September 3rd is the right one, at least according to the giant text on the front of the game's website.

I am quite ashamed. In this age of wiki and google I didn't even think to check the official website.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Game reviews are pretty bullshit anyway, because a review is unavoidably going to bring in their own personal thoughts, feelings, hangups, etc. Your experience playing a game is never going to match up 1:1 with a reviewer's, combine that with the fact that in most cases a reviewer will not scratch the surface of what's available due to time constraints, and I find game reviews to be even more wonky and subjective than reviews of, say, films and books.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Have they announced if the Greek States pack will be for sale at launch? Or will there be a "pre-order customers only" exclusivity period for a while?

I don't think my next paycheck will cover a preorder but I got a promotion at work and the one after that should let me get the game then, and I desperately want to play as Sparta.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ughhhh posted:

Since there is the total war week on Steam, are any of the Shogun 2 DLC's worth getting? I already have FoTS and RoTS but none of the clan pack or the heroes pack.

I really like having more play options, so I'd recommend all of the clan packs, but that's just me. That said, the Blood Pack is a must-buy. It turns the game into the anime it always wanted to be.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SquadronROE posted:

Anyway, I couldn't find a FOTS thread, was there ever one?

If I recall, there was a Shogun 2 thread that just became the FOTS thread when the expansion came out. I'm phone posting, so I can't really go dig it up now, but I'll see what I can find when I'm back at my PC.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Just pulled a random tiny update for Shogun 2. Any idea what it is?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SeanBeansShako posted:

Gamers Gate is selling all the Total Wars cheap again today.

Friendly advice, everyone should be picking up Fall of the Samurai!

EDIT: And I had just enough Blue Coins to get Shogun 1. Just for the hell of it, really. Is Medieval 1 sold online anywhere? I need to complete my Total War collection.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 14, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I got my hopes all up and then saw they only have it as a downloadable .RAR file, which needs a special unzip program that costs some serious ducats. Aw well. :/

WinRAR had a free trial that literally never ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So I'm a bit behind on Total War news...is Attila a standalone expansion like FOTS (with the associated lower price point?) or an entirely new title?