Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Third World Reagan posted:

That is fine since cao caos dead father caused him to go to war with liu baio

Sun Ce went after Liu Biao; Cao Cao went after Tao Qian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Gonna Sun Jian it up.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Plan Z posted:

Is there an icon like in previous games to see if you can trade with someone before you click to engage in diplomacy with them? I just haven't noticed it if there is one, yet.

The quick deal menu lets you see if you can offer any trade deals at all.

I know if you have a faction selected you can see how many trade routes they've got going on.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
From what my three councilors are telling me, the Commandant will always give some sort of war/fighty/army mission and the other two seem to be sort of public works. Which is almost always expanding the settlement administration.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Ragingsheep posted:

Is anyone getting massive outpaced by the AI in terms of advancement from 2nd Marquis to Marquis to Duke etc? I'm 2/3 of the way to Duke but Yuan Shu and Sun Jian have been Duke for ages.

Yuan Shu basically starts there and I assume Sun Jian just ate the south.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

I, Butthole posted:

I have a question about this, does pointing a person toward an assignment expend them, like a resource? Because as soon as I've assigned them and they're done, they just vanish into the loving air.

There's a "travel" period of one turn before they carry out their duties for x amount of turns. During this time they're unavailable. After they're done, they'll take another turn before they can be used again.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I hired Sima Yi and he betrayed me immediately.

But he won't betray you. Promise.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Kanos posted:

Cao Cao is actually pretty goddamn hard because he's in basically the center of every faction in the game so he has to spin a lot of diplomatic plates to not get gangbanged from all ends at all times(and sometimes this happens anyway). Sun Jian is the actual easy mode start since you basically have southern China all to yourself and if you give up the Imperial Seal when asked you don't get sucked into war with any major players outright.

Sun Jian also starts married, his starting three kids turn into powerhouse uniques and he and Lady Wu are randy as all hell. They have seven kids in my game.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Had my first encounter fighting against Lu Bu.

He killed over 600 guys and forced off an entire retinue of fresh spears.

Had to mob him in swords and bows to just barely eek it out.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
The Han's professional army was actually well-equipped and maintained but none of the warlords were part of the army, they were all raising soldiers out of their own power. So, they didn't have the direct industry and standards the professional army had until they were able to establish themselves.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
God dammit Liu Bei! How the hell did you confederate one of my vassals!?

Deformed Church posted:

Sun Jian and Lady Wu are like a thousand miles apart and have been for half a decade, but holy poo poo they're popping out babies like it's going out of style.

It's great.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Carver posted:

He did that on Liu Zhang when I was about to take over the Chengdu area which really amused me.

Ah, that's the exact same thing that happened (though with Liu Zhang's heir). Maybe he gets a special event for it? Makes sense.

Ragingsheep posted:

So when the 3 Kingdoms period actually starts, it looks like military allies don't automatically become one of your rival kingdoms because in my game, Liu Bei (3rd in power) got skipped over for Shi Xie (4th in power) who's stuck all the way down in the very south under Sun Jian (2nd in power).

Sometimes it almost seems random. Gongsun Zan became one of the kingdoms in my game, despite being a vassal and being weaker than Yuan Shao whom I wasn't at peace with.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Liu Bei's ability to somehow shift from friends with everyone to enemies with everyone sure made for a ride. I vassalized him for a few turns but he ended up fighting with drat near everyone left and dragged me with him. Which I was winning and all, but when Wei offered peace I took it. So when Liu Bei wanted war again with Wei I said screw off and he liberated himself. But his position was so ridiculous, he seriously had like seven different blocs of unconnected territory, that I was able to confederate a ton of land and Shu-Han disappeared. Including some spots I really wanted and a whole lot of shi sinks. Oh boy is digging myself outta this gonna be fun.

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 25, 2021

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

JBP posted:

Can I play as Vietnam and lay down epic gently caress yous at every turn?

Alas Shi Xie isn't playable.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

My chancellor wants me to build a building from the "Settlement Administration" chain for a mission, but I can't figure out which building actually fits that criteria.

It's not the "Administration Office" chain (starts with County Office), as I built one without completing the mission.

lurksion posted:

Main city upgrade (e.g. town -> large town -> small city -> etc)

It's located at the very top of the normal build menu too.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I really need some more feedback in a few places. I just became emperor out of absolutely nowhere, not sure how that happened but boy am I looking forward to being attacked a lot. I'm also not able to figure out the harmony situation in the council. Do I have to leave the screen and check each candidate individually to find out who they like and dislike? It just shows the X and check but no indication which ones don't get along.

Good game but I'm fairly confused so far about why things are happening. I need more easily accessible information.

Emperor rank and prestige is under the menu when you select your faction portrait on the map. Either you garnered enough Prestige to rank up or you were one of the top ranks when another faction did.

Scrolling over the x/check bubble will show whom they're interacting with.

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 27, 2019

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, but there's no indication which ones they like or dislike. Mousing over the portraits provides no info.

So, you don't get this subwindow?

EDIT: Wait, nvm. Lousy new page and real life distraction.

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 27, 2019

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Ragingsheep posted:

My vassals are starting to act a bit suspicious...

That's fine. This is fine.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Amgard posted:

Who among us can say we haven't eaten a peasant's wife in times of need!?

Me.

Serf or nothing :colbert:.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Unique weapons can transfer but armor is tied into character appearance so nada.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
So, I finally had my first crash when I was malarking around in the equipment menu of all things. I was honestly kind of peeved because I was switching equipment around because I got Guan Yu's weapon after capturing him in a hard fought battle. Sun Ren lost her husband (and some other guy) but she beat his rear end down easy right after. The real Goddess of War. Or was.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
United China with Sun Jian last night. Though he just barely managed to avoid seeing it. He died a few turns before the end at 77. Lady Wu finished his conquest right after. She also got an immediate marriage proposal. Not bad for 74-years-old. Sun Ce did the usual Sun Ce things and crushed faces all along China. Sun Ren and her husband was one of my most dependable units and she herself ended up being such a combat beast even Guan Yu didn't want to duel her. In the battle that ended up being negated because of a crash she stomped him into paste by herself outside a duel. Sun Quan sat on my capital for ages because all my drat vassals dumped armies right next to it. He finally got to do stuff in endgame but it was very little. Lady Wu is also the only woman in China who fucks since she and Jian pumped out four more kids and none of them had any despite being married their whole lives. Of the generics, one of them had a heroic last stand against the Yellow Turban heroes while the rest survived.

My favorite moment of the campaign was when I discovered that Chang'an and the Emperor were unguarded, so I marched Jian, Ce and Ren's armies up north and captured the city which propelled me to Emperor and kicked things off. Wei declared, and Gongsun Zan broke free from Yuan Shao's vassal to become Song. For most of the game I ended up with two separated empires.

Things were a pretty smooth ride the whole way through. Surrendering the seal to Liu Biao meant I could conquer south China and turn it into an money-making powerhouse at my leisure. During this time the north was just a whirlwind of chaos.

Dong Zhao got Diao Channed and Dong Min managed to fight off Li Jue and Gou Si. He lasted a while and his initial attempts at vassaling me eventually fell to begging me for peace before he eventually died and Lu Bu took over. When I grabbed Chang'an his one last army tried to come south but Lu Bu was fighting with everyone up north. That meant, Han Sui, Zheng Jiang and Huang Shao were all gunning for him and I teamed up with them to finish him off. In an epic battle where Lu Bu killed 600 guys Zheng Jiang and my army crushed his army and Lu Bu was unceremoniously killed shortly after. I sadly didn't get Sky Piercer.

Cao Cao ended up conquering the east and holding a nebulous NAP with me most of the game. He was too busy fighting the Yuans and Liu Bei and Kong Rong to focus efforts on me. Declared himself Wei, and proxy warred Zheng Jiang into fighting me to buy him time to gobble up Liu Bei. Which didn't work since Liu Bei let himself be confederated by me. Then another vassal wanted to go to war so away we went! Since most of Cao Cao's armies were in the north I was able to roll up the south. Then when he redirected south, I moved in from the north. Cao Ang eventually succeeded and every time I took prisoners I released because he did the same. Even a last minute deal with Chu couldn't save him. Xiahou Dun died during the war. Xiahou Yuan ended up in someone else's control. Dian Wei I never saw. Xu Chu ended up working for Han Sui of all people. He also got Zhang Liao which eventually got me his cool weapon.

Gongsun Zan was vassaled by Yuan Shao early on, then declared Emperor once I did. He got utterly destroyed and I eventually vassalized his one remained rump state near endgame.

Kong Rong got Yuan Shao vassaled like so many others. I honestly don't know what happened to him.

Liu Bei was a goddamn trip. He was a vassl of Yuan Shao, an Emperor, a vassal of me and eventually got confederated by me. He was a roller coaster of friends with everyone to enemies next turn. He confederate my vassal at Cengdu and had five different territory blocs across the north. He stretched from west to east but was getting stomped by everyone and eventually submitted to me. Liu Bei died the same turn as Sun Jian. Guan Yu joined Liu Biao/Kingdom of Chu and I killed him in a battle I lost to a crash with Sun Ren. Then he sort of died off-camera. Zhang Fei got hired by the Han of all things. But since they can't deploy armies he sat uselessly. Zhuge Liang also got sucked into Chu which didn't end well for him.

Liu Biao I peaced out with and eventually led to Liu Biao being a powerhouse. He conquered a third of China and ended up with half the Legends in the game. Huang Zhong, Xiahou Yuan, Guan Yu, Zhuge Liang, Zhao Yun and Ma Chao all ended up under his control.

Ma Teng died super early. Ma Chao ended up with Kingdom of Chu and Han Sui peaced with me. He eventually got his own two-territory vassal like an adorable child.

Yuan Shu supported one of Liu Biao's vassals independence then got crushed by the armies of everyone he'd pissed off. One turn he'd be begging for acknowledgment and the next he'd be pleading for vassalization. It was great.

Yuan Shao. Easily the strongest warlord due to his army of vassals, it eventually fell apart after he fought everyone all the time. I think he got succeeded by someone not of his lineage.

Zhang Yan got vassaled by Yuan Shao then after that fell apart his tiny two territories left submitted to me.

Zheng Jiang conquered most of the northwest and spent most of her time clashing with Lu Bu, eventually leading to our team up and taking him out. She forced me out of our coalition after and Cao Cao proxy warred us right after. oops. She was a pain to track down since the terrain up there is so miserable and only when she led four armies against one of my settlements was I finally able to stop her. Caught her, executed her and Sun Ren got some swag axes.

Yellow Turban 3: He Yi got crushed early and showed up with Huang Shao involved in the northwest wars. Huang Shao was actually drat strong for his size but all his armies were afield trying to hunt down Lu Bu which let me snap them up. So then both of them teleported over to Gong Du in the east because of the Turban recruitment pools. They actually killed one of Sun Jian's sons and I never even got revenge cause Chu took them out.

What a long, fun trip that was.

Now whom should I play next?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Friend, there are fun characters and then there are characters who have morals. Characters who have dignity. Characters who have the best brothers by a long shot. Characters who want what’s best for the people. Characters loyal to the ancient dynasty of Han.

Yuan Shu it is!

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
So Yuan Shuing it up, I badger Sun Jian into supporting my legitamacy by buttering him up with a coalition. But when he comes for help I sever him and cozy up with Liu Biao and get his vassals support for legitimacy. I'm already at the third bar segment and it's still going up. I coalition with Biao to take down He Yi and crush He Man along the way. If this stays the course I'll declare Emperor before 50 turns and everything will go to hell. The most Yuan Shu of fates.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
They really need to change it so if someone betrays you, you don't get Untrustworthy points for them deal breaking.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Heroism gain is from taking less casualties not dealing more, even if the two are connected.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Yuan Shu has been an utter trip so far. Cao Cao offered himself as a vassal in exchange for some farmland so I granted it. Since my entire Sun Jian game no vassals ever betrayed me despite five of them hovering around my capital I moved all my forces off my border with him. Then he immediately betrays me and I eat an untrustworthiness penalty for it. Lame. I hastily throw together a new army on the border but nothing comes. I can't recall my expansion forces since I'm now running a food deficte and need land. I start making some more Legitimacy pacts and since I'm such good friends with people the option is now weighted green. So, I can outright get payment for demanding legitimacy and get a lot of positive influence with whomever I do it with. Which means I rocket up to Duke in no time with all its bonuses. I get so much Legitimacy per turn I have Yuan Shu's special assignment massively boosting my economy. And the +10 public order means sweet tax increases everywhere.

Kong Rong and Liu Bei are among these along with a couple smaller factions. Kong Rong also made a path clear across China right outside Chang'an where Liu Biao's doomstack also takes up residence since he peaced out with Sun Ce. A minor lord on the west submits to me, and then Kong Rong does too. So now I have a vassal actually larger than I am and who loves me so much I could destroy his entire faction and still be positive. This also cuts off my western expansion since he wanted a settlement there and I gave it. So, I refocus east and south. My spy in Cao Cao's court shows me he's actually weaker militarily than I am. Which is bad, since I have 10 generals across four armies. My border guard go to lay siege to a nearby farm while Yuan Shu and Lady Feng go to take a city. Cao Cao then attacks immediately and takes a farm I left unguarded though the garrison does a lot of damage and Yuan Shu is able to swing back up and wipe it out once he takes the city.

Yellow cavalry may be strictly worse than red but boy can they run fast. Archers continue to tarpit way better than they should.

With a third of his army dead I sue Cao Cao for peace and vassalize him again. This will clearly go well this time. Some of my lesser vassals want to get fighty with other lesser lords so I keep agreeing to help then not. I also start buttering up Zheng Jiang for future profits. Yuan Shao strikes a peace with Liu Bei and Kong Rong wants to go to war with Yuan Shao. I do, since I actually have more vassals than Yuan Shao at this point, then I bring Liu Bei into the Coalition I have with Liu Biao. So now Liu Bei has to either break his recent peace pact with Yuan Shao or risk going up against his best buddies of Kong Rong and Yuan Shu. Despite me still only having four armies I'm the dominant threat on the board.

I was expecting to go down in a blaze of glory and this went even more fiery than I imagined.

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 11:54 on May 30, 2019

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Sun Jian killed and decapitated a pirate at 16. Sun Ce got command of Yuan Shu's troops at 19, reunited his father's scattered men and grew to command a force over over five thousand and even before that was gathering men and killing bandits on his own initiative at 18.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Randarkman posted:

Those guys are all part of the aristocracy though. I think that's a notable difference, as a noble you can assume leadership through lineage and the reputation of your parents ancestors and such. It's a bit different, though not impossible for (what I presume is) a commoner.

They weren't though. Sun Jian was a merchant's son who earned recognition solely by kicking rear end. Yeah, Sun Ce could lean on his father's name, but both Sun Ben and Sun Jing couldn't unite Jian's men the way Ce could despite their experience and familial relations. Even Yuan Shu liked him. And Yuan Shu only liked four people.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Liu Bei! :argh: Drags me into a war with Yuan Shao I didn't want while I was preparing my assault on Chang'an, then vassals out to him! I completely reorder my forces to deflect Yuan Shao's numerous doomstacks only for Yuan Shao to peace out after I claim everything south of the river. So now I'm garrisoning a ton of armies on the border just in case he tries something, and Cao Cao, despite me forcing him into vassal again, is lurking around.

Though I pulled off a sweet spy move against Cao Cao. I got one of his generals kicked out due to satisfaction and he came to my court with Tiger and Leopard Cavalry in tow.

Dong Min has somehow withstood his usual hell and despite being outrageously desperate for peace earlier now has Han Sui, Ma Teng and Zhang Yan as vassals throwing down with my new Coalition partner Zheng Jiang. Meanwhile down south Sun Ce's conquered nearly everything, then vassaled a guy I wanted. Good news is he wants to join the coalition now and he's got a bunch of armies ready to roll up the west side.

Now unto historical Liu Bei talk. If Liu Bei was connected to the Liu family, it was a relation so utterly distant as to be meaningless. Hell, even Liu Bei's adopted son was more directly related to them. When Emperor Xian abdicated, Liu Bei used this lineage to declare himself emperor of the HAN, not a new dynasty. He was, in Shu's authority, the rightful emperor now and Cao Pi was a usurper.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

axelord posted:

In the beginning when Lui Bei joins the Coalition against Dong Zhou having a member of the Imperial family join them adds to the legitimacy of their rebellion. The other warlords aren't going to question it because it benefits them.

Liu Bei wasn't involved in the fight against Dong Zhuo at all.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Randarkman posted:

Speaking of Yuan Shu. Any strategies for starting out with him? Seems like he has a pretty rough start. I've done two runs now, in both I easily crushed the initial army, but found my starting army a bit too weak to assault the Nanyang jade mine without it being an absolutely pyrrhic victory, it also seems like after that Xu Huang always comes walking up with a half-stack or something and then a turn or two after that Dong Zhuo comes for your capital and I wasn't able to do much due to having taken casualties both taking the jade mine and beating of Xu Huang.

What worked for me was siding with Liu Biao, buttering him and his vassals up some more than using his doomstack to secure my lands. Once Yuan Shu gets over his starting hurtles his economy gets really drat good.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I am at war with nearly all of China as Yuan Shu. It's about time this got historical.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Sima Yi appeared in my recruitment pool as Sun Juan, and now serves in my council and main army until the prime minister position becomes available and he can take his rightful place. Have the option to use him as a spy but can’t bring myself to not use him for his absolutely silly traits. He starts rank 7 ffs.

He will absolutely* not betray you.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

disjoe posted:

Warning: do not, I repeat DO NOT use flaming arrows while your archers are in the woods themselves, unless you want your army to run out of the woods on fire and screaming.

But if they're on fire they'll be doing more morale damage when they get into melee!

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Ojetor posted:

I played one to completion on release weekend. It's just like a regular campaign, except there's a diplomacy option for agreeing to share the mandate of heaven which allows for a shared victory. What happened in our game was that I ended up becoming King first, Cao Cao and Yuan Shu (both AIs) became the other two kingdoms, my partner stayed as a duchy. I'm not sure if that was because the game won't allow the two humans to become two of the kingdoms or he just wasn't powerful enough.

What factions were you and your buddy? The game seems to weigh the OG trio higher even when they're weaker. Cao Cao declared himself Wei for me despite being significantly weaker than several other factions.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I am playing Kong Rong. I'm not too far in so far. I just finished mopping up the Shandong Peninsula. I'm pretty disappointed that Liu Bei took the town of Taishan while I was busy fighting off Yaun Shao, I dunno how I might be able to get it off him without a war I can't win (and he's got nearly 2 full stacks and a partial, one of them being the Benevolence Bros themselves, ofc). I'd need an absurd amount of food and/or money to get it. Some minor guy named Han Fu just declared war on me a couple turns ago and Liu Bei just offered me a coalition last turn. I figure I'll take the coalition and try to deal with Han Fu and maybe take those Han territory next to Han Fu. Little worried that'll leave my territory awfully noodly though, especially since it takes a turn to cross the Yellow River.

Then again as long as Liu Bei doesn't slip a knife in my back, I can potentially concentrate my forces up northwest pretty easily.

Right now I'm torn between trying to work on my economy and bolstering my army (my main army's only about 2/3rds of a stack and my second northern defense army is only a half stack or so). Ofc, I also need some more officers to fill positions...

You can grab a territory near him then trade it for the one you want. That's generally the best way until you have a robust economy going.

golem_ii posted:

Is there some way to get more ancillaries that I've missed? Every time I try to see if another faction has any to trade they never have any. I'd like to get better horses and weapons but it doesn't seem like you can. I know you can steal them from executed characters but none of them have ever had anything good.

I did get a 'cursed' horse named Dilu though and the description says 'the last horse you will ever want'. I strongly suspect if I give that to someone they won't last very long!

There are settlement points that can gift you ancillaries randomly. Weapons Crafters, Armor Crafters, Horse Pastures up north. Followers and trinkets will just drop in on normal army battles. Not much you can do to directly control things.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
My Yuan Shu's daughter has a kid despite never being faction heir.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Evil Canadian posted:

Naw Zhang Fei is a monster. He's one of the few people to get done in by his own troops cause they hated him so much for being a drunk and abusing the soldiers.

In actual history he wasn't even a drunk, he was just that terrible a person naturally.

Now Sun Quan? Sun Quan could drink like a madmen and did all sorts of crazy poo poo while drunk. Which is impressive cause the poo poo Sun Quan did while sober was crazy enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Senor Dog posted:

Stupid question, but where do you see your corruption? I can't find it anywhere

Scroll over the commandery's income tab when you have the commandery selected.