Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.

I'm fairly sure the Mandate of Heaven start date has been utterly broken by 1.5. I've made peace with Liu Chong 10 times over a few turns, and now have 10 Request Payments at max amount, and I could push for more if I wanted!

Not only that, my story quest missions just stopped appearing too as well as the entire game CTD'ing if I ever try to leave the empire. I'm not even running a single mod, might be wise to let leave this run be for now, but its kind of fun having infinite income.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.

Captain Beans posted:

I think Three Kingdoms was the first TW campaign I’ve ever actually completed instead of getting bored and bailing.

Yeah same here really. I've got twice as many hours in WH2 but only ever completed one ME campaign, and never any Ritual vortex campaigns. 3K however I've completed around 7 or 8, spread across all DLC.

I love WH2 but 3K just feels so much more smooth to play through, especially mechanically.

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.
It's pretty unfortunate, everything I've seen from the battle gameplay videos makes it look like a total step back from 3K. Which, along with the UI being ripped straight from TW2, makes me wonder if it started development before 3K was out there?

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.

Anno posted:

It's based on the WH2 fork of their engine which I imagine has something to do with it. Though they still managed to import the awful green/red icons for unit banners.

Mostly though I just don't think "super aesthetic UI" is in the budget for Saga games.

Huh, that actually explains pretty much everything I felt from the gameplay, like it's an officially developed WH2 total conversion mod. Thanks for that info!

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.
If anyone happens to collect records the 3K soundtrack is up for pre-order and it looks pretty good!

https://www.lacedrecords.com/collections/total-war/products/total-war-three-kingdoms-deluxe-triple-vinyl

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.

Dramicus posted:

I've watched a few new Troy videos, and I like what they are doing by adding more terrain features, like high grass, mud and so on. It makes things a little more interesting than just having trees and open ground. I get the impression that Troy is more of a test-bed for mechanics. Quite a few of the things I've seen would translate well to WH3, or even 3K. I wonder if there's a chance of them adding in extra mechanics to 3k via DLC.

Yeah I'm still not sold on the campaign side and the UI/style it's going with, but oh my the maps are fantastic. The variety I've seen so far is really cool, loads of choke points and various interesting terrain types!

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.

Communist Thoughts posted:

its... fine? lots of new mechanics
battles dont seem amazing...

they have added a cutscene with loading transition for auto resolve which is one of those completely insane things CA does sometimes that makes you think they dont play TW

The first time that happened when auto-resolving I had no idea what was going on, bizarre design choice.

First impressions are that it's... serviceable. I'm not enjoying 5 different resources and just feel overwhelmed by the bartering on top of that. I love 3K's expanded diplomacy but this has gone in a different direction entirely which I am not looking for.

It might just be the setting, but no-one seems to have any personality either especially compared to 3K and WH2's lords. "Guy in bronze hat, guy in slightly different bronze hat and this time with a spear!". When 3K came out I had never encountered that period of history and I didn't know any of the characters, but I was instantly able to get a feel for them all through the great presentation of them in the faction select menu.

The UI is pretty awful too, not just artistically but it feels so in the way in campaign and in battle, and the recruitment is especially offputting though not as bad as ToB at least!

Oh well, I'll give it a further try and see where things go, it's going better than ToB for me at least where I played one battle and never returned.

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.

Dramicus posted:

Was it great presentation, or is it really that Liu Bei’s radiant benevolence always shines through. He’s clearly the only good and noble character among a sea of scoundrels.

I mean... to use Liu Bei as an example.

Liu Bei stand there with his interesting pose, different from both other characters in a fully unique costume. Described as the Virtuous Idealist with a playstyle that focuses on Companionship. Cool, he sounds fun!

Cao Cao and Sun Jian also both immediately get across who they are with unique descriptors, costumes, and poses while all 3 also stare into the camera to the player.

In comparison...

Three dudes, in very similar dress and colours, all in the same pose staring the left of the screen instead of the player. And every single one has a title along the lines of "Lord of...", "King of...". A big bronze yawn.

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.

Fuligin posted:

On the other hand the campaign map and the one skirmish map i saw looked pretty dope. Anyway cant beat free, excited to throw some time in after work.

Can't deny the maps are gorgeous and offer some really cool battles, especially settlements, when the pathfinding works at least!

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.
I'm trying to play through Aeneas and its going well, but I'm realising that even though they brought Agents back into this, oh boy they are very half baked. The epic ones with their limited time on the map usually just sit in my capital doing nothing since their skills are so very situational (not to mention every Satyr I've used hasn't actually finished ANY buildings with their Finish-Any-Buildings-Instantly ability). For example, by the time my brand new shiny Gorgon could make it to the war front I have already killed the army/taken the city she might've helped with.

The regular agents are even more iffy; my priestess has 4 entire levels of "choose a God"? Great, although she's in my army and will never perform a city ritual. Not to mention she only has a relevant embedded army skill at level 1 with the next being all the way up at level 9 (I'm aware the longer shes embedded the more useful traits she's awarded, but I have no agency in that at all and it feels very arbitrary).

I'm trying to enjoy this game, and I'll give it a few more hours, but the longer I'm in it the more I see that disappoints me. Even the campaign map that I was stoked on initially I've realised has no actual details, its just 'patch of trees' and 'here's a mountain', repeated eternally. There's no points of interest like in WH2 or 3K, like a cool waterfall or the Lizardmen aquaducts you can find. I feel bad for being so negative about it all, so uh... the water is still the prettiest I've seen in a TW game!

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.

Flipswitch posted:

E: there appears to be a 3 Kingdoms Stream starting in 15 mins!
https://twitch.tv/totalwar

Elephants, tigers, and snakes oh my! Time to get some Nanman action in, so very exciting. The trailer looked wonderful, and not only some great looking units we'll be getting new battle maps, UI improvements and an expanded full campaign map in the south west!

I am bristling with excitement!

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Also from the steam page, Juggernauts will be a thing.

I'm trying to figure it out from the page but I'm obviously missing something. What are juggernauts? (unless it's those fire breathing things)

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Yeah they're the fire breathing things. In some translations they're referred to as "Zhuge Liang's Juggernauts".

Ah superb, thank you! I'm just starting to read book 2, translated by Yu Sumei, so I haven't quite reached those yet.

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.

Xander77 posted:

Why? And why is WH2 so much more popular than 3K?

I would presume its the multiplayer scene being so much more popular in WH2, along with big stompy dinosaurs and conniving ratmen.

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.

Gamerofthegame posted:

Because no matter how fancy the diplomatic set up is it's still boring and just a paint the map exercise. weird!

I mean... isn't WH2 a paint the map exercise too if you're going to look at things like that? Like, that's the entirety of Mortal Empires and mostly Vortex too.

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.

Third World Reagan posted:

A lot of people do play it as a map painting game first and a battle game second despite the game being in reverse.

Huh. That highlights it well for me in that, despite just declaring the games as map painting exercises, I've never really thought of battles and map painting as two separate components. I just see them as hand in hand, cant paint the map without battle and can't battle without painting the map.

Very valid point on the range of unit styles within TW2 armies though, and I can't say 3K wouldn't be improved seeing Cao Cao chased around by a Doomwheel.

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.

Burginator posted:

the unit cards in Troy are way more satisfying than a grey blob wearing armour.

I thought I would think the same when I started 3K but I wish more TW games would find a way to utilise them now. They instantly and clearly tell me what equipment each unit is using without the excess imagery getting in the way, and I get to enjoy their full design when I'm throwing them around the battlefield.

That said, if its holding you back from more 3K you can turn them back into regular Troy/WH2 style portraits in the settings!

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.

fuf posted:

I started a Troy campaign and during an early battle suddenly had the feeling that I had played basically this same battle thousands of times in different TW games over the years. It was one of those seeing behind the curtain moments that made it hard to maintain any interest.

Yeah, Troy in fact does very little, with very little and the thing it does least is unit variance and battles. Even base 3K which wasn't quite there yet with its unit identity still had the special Dragon units which looked real cool and unique compared to the rest of the roster.

Troy also initially had me taken by how good the battle maps looked then I soon found they were all structured super similar and that the AI could barely navigate them at all.

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm coming from Warhammer to troy: can I not put agents into my army as actual fielded units? And can I only have one agent attached period?

Also, I've recruited a gorgon twice now and can't seem to attach them, but those are supposed to be the semi mythical battlefield units right?

Unfortunately not, they more act as passive support, and correct you may only have one per army.

As for the "epic" agents, they are only one time use on the campaign map and can never be used or embedded in armies.

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I have to say, I'm really disappointed that they aren't battlefield units. Enjoying the game otherwise, but the pre reveal concept of "the minotaur was just a huge dude wearing a bull's head" still involved, in my mind, him laying waste on the battlefield.

You can still get Minotaurs and certain other units into the battlefield, as they are units rather than agents, same for 'Harpies', 'Centaurs', and 'Cyclops' too as well as some more you can find. Its just the agent's who are relegated to the campaign.

If you want to recruit them, look for settlements with unique icons on their name, these let you know that you can find mythical units there to recruit.

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.

Ah hahaha. The capture chance you can get as the Nanman really pays off, thanks for the weapons Liu Bei!

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.

Trustworthy posted:

Just started a 190 Liu Chong campaign; my first in a while. I know CA recently nerfed crossbows and his Royal Guard units a bit, but did they also completely eliminate Liu Chong's Show of Force skill? It's just... missing.

I just loaded it up to check and it looks like they changed his starting skill points around, so you have to level up once to get the skill now.

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.

Having fun uniting the nanman as fire queen lady but the nanman skill and tech trees are really bad

In what respect? The character skill system is definitely weird, but I've found im really having to think about my commitments in the tech tree which to me is the sign of a well designed tree and I enjoy it.

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.

I don't like that you need to unite the tribes to unlock so much of the tech.
I united everyone real fast but I still had several times where I could only unlock relatively useless stuff like 10% off recruitment costs before then.

That's my only real issue with it. Its the personal skill trees I really dislike, you might as well get rid of them entirely if it's just going to be stat boosts. Especially since in vanilla the stats aren't very interesting (apart from general unit size)

That's fair, the top row especially in all 3 trees do feel pretty superfluous. 10% cheaper spear guys, exciting!

I get you with the personal trees, but I understand their experiment too. Instead of locking out skills you get to just focus on attributes and little missions for extra abilities. Cool on paper, but feels so samey with everyone having the same selection.

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.

Dramicus posted:

Counterpoint, it's an interesting campaign with new mechanics and units and has battles all over the map as opposed to having the traditional Thunderdome.

I'd agree with this entirely. The factions and mechanics are all really interesting, and it's definitely worth a play through or two. On sale is the best way to go about it though, since it doesn't at all affect the main campaign.

Got one of my favourite ever playthroughs using Sima Liang, definitely recommended.

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.
MTU is pretty solid, overall good art assets and character design. You might find some a bit suspect like Lu Ji (Lu Bu's daughter) being a touch too powerful but I would recommen it for sure. .

There's a few stealth changes in it too, like Sun Jian/Ce start the game with the Emperor's Seal equipped so you can't take it from them via dilpomacy turn 1.

Wu I don't really have experience with though, apologies!

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Has anyone played the 184 start not as yt, liu Chong, or the emperor

Is it fun

Dong Zhou is pretty fun, he's in somewhat of a different position than his default start and he has some unique events and missions making it a different experience for him. My only complaint would be you can't stop him going into Big Dong mode when it hits the default date. I wanna stay Skinny Dong!

Cao Cao and Liu Bei are cool too, both are setting up in the world and to some extent you are free to take them wherever on the map you want and make your empire. You have free upkeep until you pick a settlement if I recall correctly, and supply everywhere you roam. Both have interesting events too setting them up as the powers they will eventually become, you can even experience the Oath of the Peach Garden with Liu Bei!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.

Azran posted:

I think the most glaring absence so far is Cao Pi.

Still repping my boy Lu Su for his own unique art. Pretty please, CA?

I'm fairly sure I read from a CA rep that they plan on doing more Qiang stuff next, chariots etc, so I'd expect maybe a Ma Chao campaign start perhaps?