Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

SeanBeansShako posted:

I personally believe CA actually is starting to see Paradox as some sort of threat, considering their game sales aren't slowing down anytime soon and the latest Crusader Kings appears to quite a bit hit. How long now before somebody in Paradox throws up a decent looking battle engine likes theirs in the next Europa or Victoria?

As long as Paradox keeps the pausable real-time gameplay (and why wouldn't they? It's perfect for their games) there will never, ever be playable battles in any of their games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

SeanBeansShako posted:

I disagree, I think they should do what Total War did before they went full 3D and embrace a sprite style early TW battle engine.

It's pretty much mechanically impossible, though. They'd have to abandon the pausable-real-time-with-loads-of-simultaneous-abstracted-battles-possible thing.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
The best thing about Rome 2 is that it'll give us at least two more Total War games' breathing space after it before people start clamouring for Rome 3.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Spaceman Future! posted:

Rome is not my first choice but really unless CA starts going with alternate reality settings then there's only so many periods that have enough conflict to base an entire strategy game around.

Fall of the Samurai is about as new as they can go, everything after that became small squad combat. Rome is about as old as you can go, combat before then was a bit too basic to justify a full on strategy game.

Aye, I'm not asking for more modern or more ancient - I agree that both Fall of the Samurai and Rome are about as far as they can go in both directions. But I'd take a new setting in the intervening period over a Rome sequel any day.

That's not to say I wouldn't enjoy Rome 2. I probably would/will. But I'm still holding out for stuff like a proper post-fall-of-Rome game, or a game about the birth and rise of Islam, or the Wars of the Three Kingdoms in 1640s Britain (which would be pretty much exactly along the Shogun 2 lines of restricted map and so on).

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

MadJackMcJack posted:

Eh, CA don't have a good track record with non-historical stuff. Mind you, it's only one game, Stormrise, but it was that bad.

To be fair, Stormrise was by the secondary Australian Creative Assembly, whose only contribution to the main series was Medieval 2 (and you could absolutely tell that they'd never seen a single castle in person in their lives).

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Any 16th-17th century Total War needs to make religion important. You have the Reformation and then later the Thirty Years War - it's hugely important for the era.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Fall of the Samurai is great and easily my favourite Total War in ages.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Vivick posted:

Would you guys recommend getting Rise of the Samurai? I thought about buying it since its fairly cheap and I enjoyed vanilla Shogun 2, but from the Steam description I'm not sure if it changes the gamplay enough to warrant the purchase.

Rise of the Samurai is a pretty nice DLC expansion that changes things up a little but it's still very much in the vein of the vanilla Shogun 2 campaign even though the agents are a bit different and tactics have changed slightly and there are different buildings, units, and tech trees. Fall of the Samurai is a much bigger change and has a lot more new stuff in it to boot.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
From experience you'll make more money as a traditionalist faction because even the best traditionalist units have pretty low upkeep compared to modernised ones. You have to abandon your principles for naval warfare though (since all the ships are modern) and even a traditionalist army should probably take a couple of Parrott Guns for fire support (which are technically modern units but don't require any special research, from what I remember).

The Aizu are the best for this. Funnily enough, although they're the most traditionalist faction, they also have unique replacements for levy infantry and line infantry and so on - being traditionalist versions of those. I didn't use them, but they're there.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Yari Samurai are perfectly capable of dealing with ashigaru troops, if they're your main enemy at the moment, but the biggest difficult you'll have at the start is just lack of funds to support giant samurai armies so you'll only have a few units with ashigaru making up most of your forces.

Kisho ninja aren't even really necessary in general battle strategy; they're much more of a situational unit and probably more effective in multiplayer since you've got the psychological effect of ambushes and so on.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
The game's implementation of pikemen is very poor. They're not even good at melee combat and all their special abilities are basically broken.

If they were implemented properly, they'd have some limited uses in the very early game.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Explosive shell makes short work of anything in naval battles, and you'll find that upgraded hull plating will give you more staying power for your own ships. Don't try to use explosive shell in a one-on-one battle, though, or if you have a single ironclad against several smaller ships - the AI is very, very good at staying just outside your explosive shell range (which is shorter) and pummelling you with solid shot.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Lord Tywin posted:

apparently there will be forty units that you command but I wonder if that is only the case when naval and land forces are combined.

Fall of the Samurai had support for commanding up to 40 units at once, so that'll probably apply to normal land battles.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Rabhadh posted:

Did anyone use the renaming system from Empire? I think I did it once or twice for some units that did a few amazing things. Units with personality would be amazing though.

I renamed every single unit after historical regiments as much as I was able, because linear warfare turns me completely autistic about such things and I got genuine pleasure out of ordering the 7th Royal Fusiliers to perform a bayonet charge rather than a generic unit of line infantry.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Personally I think each Total War since Rome has been a step forward in atmospherics and representation of the setting (Rome was weirdly anodyne after the very atmospheric Medieval 1). Shogun 2 is probably the best representation of that, with all the Japanese-influenced artwork and the excellent soundwork.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
My preferred strategy with the Ikko Ikki was to expand as 'peacefully' as possible. Incite religious revolts and they'll flip to your allegiance if successful. You can nab provinces off clans you're at peace with this way.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Electric Pope posted:

Well, they're smaller than normal samurai units, the game calls them groups of Ronin, and, though I haven't played that far in my (first, so I didn't even realize it was Radious) Ikko-Ikki campaign, I assume they're pretty limited in the long-term and generally worse than the monks. I've still found myself using almost entirely Ashigaru and warrior monks.

The Ronin units are part of the Ikko-Ikki unit lineup anyway, unmodded. I haven't used Radious Mod but I presume it adds actual samurai units to them, from what Rabhadh and a couple others have said.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Those Averni look great and the shirtless, woad-covered Iceni look pretty good too. I'm much more interested in Rome 2 if they properly represent the 'barbarian' factions because frankly the hero-worship of Mediterranean fascists in Rome 1 got very old.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Sober posted:

You can always rely on someone from TWC to make it much more elaborate. Maybe way too elaborate, like including a village the liked the name of that they found in a single source even though it literally only existed for maybe 5 years, it will be included and he will constantly update the location every patch, breaking a bunch of things but he wants to get it just right. Again, working with a single source.

Glad to know Rome 2 is more like Antiquity: Total War with all the factions being awesome.

My favourite bit of extra-mapping was the Rome: TOTAL REALISM mod which extended the map north to include modern-day Scotland, and then called the province (or the capital of it, I forget) 'Dalriada' - a kingdom that wouldn't exist for four hundred years after the end of the game's period.

I found this particularly amusing for a mod which made such a song and dance about CA's base game being inaccurate and anachronistic.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
They're both great but Fall of the Samurai is better if you're already familiar with Shogun 2, I think.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I enjoyed Shogun 2 so much I just bought Napoleon from the current Gamefly sale. Anything super-critical I should know as a relative newbie?

If you played Shogun 2 then you should do okay. Just be aware that you are definitely on a deadline in the Italian and Egyptian campaigns - especially in the Italian one you can't gently caress around at all or you won't be able to reach your objectives in time.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

shalcar posted:

Chivalric Men-at-Arms for life. Beeline to them, spam them, win everything. Medieval 1 really was a spectacular game. Improved so much over the original Shogun, although I adored both of them.

Make Medieval 3 with all the improvements of Shogun 2 and I can die a happy man.

Agreed. Although I was happy enough with just Feudal Men-at-Arms, they were cool as hell by themselves.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
One of the things that Medieval 1 did best - and which Medieval 2 didn't achieve at all - was the evocation of a sort of dirty, oppressive medieval atmosphere. Medieval 2's Australian development really showed, as you could tell that not a single one of the developers had ever actually seen a castle.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Yeah, that's been the case since Empire. It's somewhat counter-intuitive actually, since it means that a unit with high reload skill won't necessarily fire more quickly - put Tosa Riflemen with base reload skill up against Matchlock Samurai with a whole bunch of reload skill boosts from veterancy and buildings and whatever up against each other, and the Tosa Riflemen will still fire more quickly.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
You need to make good use of their revolt-creating abilities from their monks. Any successful revolts will join your clan, unlike non-Ikko revolts instigated by other clans. Also your ashigaru are pretty great to start with.

I found the Ikko-Ikki pretty easy to manage, and I think they've got a lot more advantages than many other clans.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I'm surprised. Personally I think the Ikko are relatively hard to play - Less because of their special religion and more because of the lack of metsuke though. Then again playing them teaches you to build a stable internal economy pre-RD.

The whole "Incite revolts everywhere" thing seems like a trap to me. Even if the rebels take the province, it'll be in chaos for quite some time and you have to pay upkeep on those new, often times lovely, units.

Their starting position isn't actually that bad, they own two very rich provinces with wonderful combat bonuses. Loanswords rip through regular yari ashigaru with ease and an armorer really helps against archers for example. It's also easy to defend as long as you don't expand to the right. The provinces there are poor and only bring you into contact with assholes like the Takeda or Uesugi sooner.

The troops you get from revolts are usually ashigaru but you often get a couple units of warrior monks out of them too. Even mounted monks. When you can't train these units yourself early on, they can really jump start your military capabilities. If you're low on cash then you can always disband a bunch of the units you get from revolts - it's not like you need to keep them. And I don't think revolt-secured towns suffer from unrest, though I may be wrong.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Rabhadh posted:

When you think about it though that sounds kind of terrible. Every time I attack (or am attacked) near Teutoburg forest I get an ambush on the march instead of a meeting engagement? Because thats the way that one map is set up?

No, you'll fight a normal battle on said map.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

VirtualStranger posted:

How do I beef up the "major" clans (The ones you can play as) so that they gain some territory early on and don't die on the fist couple turns? I want to be able to face off against some large factions later on in the campaign instead of just rolling over a bunch of tiny clans with one province and 4 units.

On my last playthrough, the Chosokobe literally spent half of the game just trying to get control of Shikoku.

Usually you do end up with big clans, just not necessarily the ones the game designates as 'major'. I've had several minor clans end up as my major antagonists in each campaign.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Baron Porkface posted:

I remember the campaign time limit in Empire being too oppressive. Wasn't it only 100 turns?

It was 200.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

dogydemoc posted:

I just got Empire for my birthday, and having never really played any Total War games I'd be grateful for some tips, especially for the campaign side of things. I know it's not regarded as the best in the series but I really like the look of Rome II so I thought I'd try one out before it's released.

Definitely play the Road to Independence campaign first, and then when you move on to the actual game I recommend you pick a nation that doesn't start off with a massive colonial empire, because even for a Total War veteran the first time you load it up and see the sheer loving scale of the map it can be overwhelming. So someone like Sweden, or Prussia, or Austria.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Lord Tywin posted:

I would prefer if they did the next medieval game without gunpowder and then made a Renaissance total war going from 1453 to 1648.

You could only leave out gunpowder in a medieval game if you ended it around 1330.

And a proper pike and shot Total War would be excellent. Imagine having an actual use for dragoons in their original mounted infantry role, for instance.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I love how bright it is. The Mediterranean looks gorgeous there.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Europe is larger scale and more involved in Napoleon to make up for the loss of the other theatres. It doesn't feel small at all, for me.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

Watching the Rezzed video and when someone piped up "as an ancient historian, I was always frustrated that in Rome 1..." my hand moved entirely of its own volition and refreshed the page. Really liked what was shown of Rome's internal "political capital" meter. I like how having too great a disparity between the political power of your house and the others is apparently what kicks off the Roman equivalent of realm divide, and how you can manage that if you like.

You're not the only one who had that reaction to that prick. The Q&A was pretty worthless, but the footage shown was good. Really liked the look of the political stuff and seeing the army traditions and recruitment in action was great too.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Chomp8645 posted:

If you don't have 10MB free then you really need to clean up your drat hard drive. You should never be below 10GB free unless you're on some ancient machine with no capacity. But I guess if you were on an ancient machine you wouldn't be playing Shogun 2.

What I'm saying is clean up your drat hard drive.

You misunderstand. Steam's patching system duplicates the affected files until it applies the update fully, and when games like Shogun 2 use compressed pack files it results in the game's installation folder doubling in size for all but the smallest and least extensive of patches.

The worst for this has been The Secret World, for me. 40 gig install suddenly needs 80 gig when a patch starts downloading.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

canyoneer posted:

Was I the only one who found Waterloo in N:TW to be disappointing? The campaign was so great, and it was a pretty uninteresting end to it.
Napoleon got sneak attacked and taken out before I even knew he was being attacked. Ended up OK, because the Duke of Wellington got beaned by a lucky cannonball from across the map moments later.

Just wailed on the English for 10 minutes with a half stack and ta daa, roll cinematic. Sort of anticlimactic, and not particularly challenging.

The British/Dutch side of the battle is pretty entertaining, though.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Frungy! posted:

Love it that there are so many historical minor factions with unique names and icons to deal with instead of those boring and always hostile "rebels".

Wondering how client states work and if it's possible to absorb them into your empire proper without a fight, would make sense with Nova Carthago at least.

Also the large size of both Bactria and Armenia makes me think they might become playable factions later, perhaps as part of an "Eastern Culture Pack" DLC, which would inevitably include the crumbling Seleucid Empire as well. :neckbeard:

The last Total War game to have generic 'rebels' for the independents was Medieval 2.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

I think its kind of amusing when that happens, since you can end up with dramatically different-looking campaigns every time. I was surprised when I played Shogun 2 (having not played a TW game since Medieval 2) at how the "important" factions were being wiped out and random unplayable ones were setting up huge empires. I think it'd be pretty interesting to have, say, the Carnutes take over all of Gaul, or the Boii do the same for Germania.

I love this sort of thing too in Shogun. I hope it's in full force in Rome 2 - I want the Etruscan Empire to become dominant in the peninsula and start conquering everywhere.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Yeah, light cavalry also get a sizeable charge bonus which makes them effective against even spear-armed infantry if you charge them into the rear or flanks of already-engaged troops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Matchlock troops are also fantastic fort defenders. They used to be utterly ludicrous at it in conjunction with the Inspire ability but that got nerfed. They're still very good though. Make sure that they aren't going to get mown down by archers outside their range and they'll murder anyone who gets close.