Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Just got back to Shogun 2 after a few months break. Have they balanced the mixed avatar battles yet? I haven't had any success against modern armies with a samurai army, though I'm disappointed that I had one fair battle and I screwed it up. Someone was playing a fully traditional army, but I presumed to be facing a lot of rifles so I changed my army composition to include more cavalry than I'm skilled with :(

Also, is there any documentation on all the different leader descriptions? Most of them are pretty self explanatory, but I just saw someone who only had the title 'Dishonourable Coward'. I presume he earned that by ragequitting a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Hammerstein posted:

I hope they bring back the hilarious attributes your general could get in Rome. Nothing beats having your drunk, embarrassing uncle vomit all over the campaign map in front of your men.

I hope so too, I'm especially fond of the nicknames the generals could get. My favorite general through all Total War games an old dude, leading my stacks of doom through the world. I had decided that I wanted him to be remembered as The Great. After all, he had already conquered Egypt and Levant among other victories. He was Victor, when I suddenly noticed that he had gained the nickname Wrathful. Oh poo poo, time to get conquering more. A few turns later he was known as the Conqueror. And a few more turns later he was known as the Mad. Queue some more conquering, this guy was getting really old and I wanted him to be remembered for his greatness. A few turns later he croaked and was forever remembered by the world as the Fat.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Considering that Shogun 2 had a few different unit types that you could equip in different ways, I don't see why they couldn't do that kind of customization in Rome 2. Just replace monks and samurais with different ethnicities.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Could someone explain to me the difference between Hoplite and Macedonian phalanxes?

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Thanks guys, I have learned something today.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
I'm excited but cautious over the number of different units. I just hope all the units are distinct and have a clear role on the battlefield. I loved Shogun 2's unit roster, because it has a clear rock-paper-scissor combat system, and every unit has a purpose. Likewise I'm not too fond of FotS unit roster because I can't tell the different riflemen apart and have no idea what I'm supposed to do with different units.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Hot drat, that was beautiful.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
:aaaaa: That is absolutely amazing! I'm so loving pumped right now!

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Come on it's fun.*

*I never used the free aim feature in FotS

I had fun with it, and used it consistently enough so that I could reliably snipe enemy generals if the opponent didn't realize what I was doing. So yeah, it's gamey as gently caress and requires some fixing.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

ChaosSamusX posted:

So, is there any truth to this or what? I can't see the Philippine-American Wars being broad enough for a Total War game myself.

There's no mention of it anymore so it was probably wikivandalism.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Is September the 3rd the global release date or American release date? I tried to check the website but I couldn't find confirmation on this.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Yellow Turbans rule, especially after I found out they don't suffer attrition from not having any territory. I started a campaign with He Yi, built up my army and looted all the towns on my way to the sea, jumped on a boat and moved to southern China. After that it's been a very chill campaign of fighting notably less numerous locals in the south, settling abandoned territories and occasional raiding trips north to get that money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Grand Fromage posted:

I finished another campaign as a normal faction and I'm ready to try a bandit or a Yellow Turban. Any tips for them? I've heard they play pretty differently.

All the Yellow Turban starting positions are pretty tough, but your troops don't suffer attrition from having no home territory. So at the start you should get a large and cheap army and just raid/pillage and migrate south so you can expand in peace. Their diplomacy options are very limited, so don't expect to have any friends in the campaign, except other yellow turbans (who tend to die pretty early).