Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Flippycunt posted:

Here are some other possible changes to history to make things more fun:
Total War: Three Kingdoms - All Chinese units kung-fu fight only, no weapons
Napoleon Total War - Empire of Russia is now the Soviet Union to provide more variety
Medieval Total War - New Italian unit, the "Mafia Hitmen". Just send them a target and "bada bing, bada bang!"
Empire Total War - All American units replaced with cowboys
What are you talking about. These are great ideas. I would totally play a Stereotype: Total War game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Imapanda posted:

There is no way the Total War community would let this happen.
That's why they don't use the "Total War" name. Just create a new series.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Fall of the Samurai is my favourite out of all the gunpowder Total War games. FotS is pretty polished so it is still really fun even if you found ETW or NTW not to your liking.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Enemies on a wall when destroyed will also suffer large losses so that's a bonus.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Is there a way to organize your army in Napoleon Total War? In Shogun 2 all you had to do was drag and drop but it doesn't work in Napoleon.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Total War's naval battles have always been lacking. I've never enjoyed a single naval battle in any of the Total War games with naval battles.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Sistergodiva posted:

Should I get Shogun 2 or go straight for Fall of the Samurai? I've only played Rome before. Should I try any of the earlier games first? I just got a beefy computer, so something modern would be cool.
Depends on what kind of Total War game you want.
If you want a melee and samurai focused Total War game then get Shogun 2. If you want to play a Total War with a gun and cannon focus, then get Fall of the Samurai. Both are great games so it's the type of gameplay that you will have to decide on.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Alchenar posted:

If you want a Total War with a gun and cannon focus then get Napoleon. FOTS is an interesting diversion but it isn't a particularly good game and doesn't hold much replayability.
I disagree. FotS is the most polished Total War gun and cannon game by far. I've tried to get in to Napoleon but it's too much of a step backwards from FotS. Napoleon has no naval bombardment, reorganizing armies are a pain in the rear end, the game is more buggy and slower, etc. Also FotS's Realm Divide makes the game very interesting as it gives some challenge late game.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 4, 2012

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Sistergodiva posted:

Also, I got a tradepost, but no one wants to trade with me. I tried removing my tradeships first, but no game. Anything I can do to make them like me more?
Try and sweeten the deal with some cash if you expect it to be a long trade relationship. A good and stable trade agreement will bring in tons of money, more than enough to cover the initial investment.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I just picked up Shogun 2 as part of the Steam Summer Sale. Are any of the DLC "must-have" or should I just ignore them for now and play the hell out of the basegame before worrying about adding anything else to it?
The Sengoku Jidai unit pack nice to have but not necessary. All the other DLC I would recommend after you play the base game for a while.
Rise of the Samurai is easily the best DLC for Shogun 2 so I would get that while it's still cheap though.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I believe Darth Mod is pretty famous for it's Mugal naval invasion death stacks. In the base game it doesn't really happen.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
People hoping for a WW2: Total War should just go play Company of Heroes. It's more of a standard RTS but it uses similar mechanics as Total War games (morale, the direction a unit faces matters, artillery support, infantry units are squads of multiple soldiers,etc). Personally, I can only see a WW2: Total War gaming just being Company of Heroes with more units and a bigger map.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I believe Shogun 2 already has all the FotS data patched in so nothing extra needs to be downloaded. It also explains Shogun 2's large size.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

I am beginning to curse the existence of hills. I have a battle where the AI starts off near a forested one, and since I am attacking, they just move onto there and not budge. Any tips for that sort of situation, or should I retreat/let the autobattle handle it?
I'll assume this is Shogun 2. Since your opponent is on the defensive you actually have the advantage as you can control the course of battle.

Do you have more archers or have monk archers? Then use them to wither their army down.
If not, split your army and attack from multiple sides. Since the enemy won't budge from the hill, you have a perfect chance to surround them.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Alchenar posted:

The problem is that in Total War games Naval Warfare in general is little more than a way of spring-boarding armies across the map. And you can fit a full land stack on a dinky little corvette and get it from shore to shore without difficulty. And once the army is landed you don't need it anymore.

That all needs to change for ships to be worthwhile in Total War games.
I felt that FOTS' naval bombardment made navies actually useful. Small armies could actually win battles against larger armies with naval support which made having navies quite useful. I know this won't be possible in Rome but they could perhaps make it so navies could supply your troops so they can reinforce in enemy territory. I would prefer if they allowed navies to have a much larger role.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is there any way I can "sharpen" the font in this game? It looks really blurry and it's giving me a headache.

Are you running the game in 1440x900 resolution? If you are then try fiddling with the resolution settings and trying a larger resolution. I used to use that resolution on my smaller monitor and the newer Total War games seems to hate the 1440x900 resolution.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Durgoc posted:

They really expect us to believe they can't figure out how to make the game moddable?
The game feels like it's held together by a piece of string. The coding is probably so messed up that they actually can't figure out how.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

ChaosSamusX posted:

Is there a way to know what the daily deals will be in advance? I want to know if Alexander, or the Medieval II franchise will similarly cost next to nothing on another day.
The only way I know of requires a sacrificial goat and 20 days of meditation. But seriously, if you'll feel bad over a few bucks, just wait. It's only 3 days and everything will still be 25% off until the last day.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
You can't really spoil a game like this. You can update buildings to get new units and (in the new games) research new technology for updates but it's not hidden and you can see the upgrades and units they unlock from the very start of the campaign.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I recommend that new players play on Domination or Long Campaign rather than the default Short Campaign. It gives you more time to complete your goals and in Shogun 2 it also delays Realm Divide.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
That's basically the point when you start a new campaign. The end game of Total War games are pretty dull but the new games have been trying to fix that. Shogun 2 has realm divide and Fall of the Samurai has the two faction split.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Olive Branch posted:

Hey folks, I'm done with that video I was talking about, if you want to play some more matchmaker FOTS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ban8ry8RwDM
I like how you completely forgot about a unit of bears and left them behind in the last battle and still won. Great video.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Personally, I would say play the game with the era that interest you. Shogun 2 is the easiest to start off if you're completely new to the series. However, like the other person said, if you plan to play the older games, you might be annoyed by things in the older Total War games that were improved upon in the newer ones.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Any Shogun 2 players here have experience with matchlock units? I've never used them that much as they didn't seem that good (small unit size and range is lower than archers). However, I'm playing a Oda campaign right now and I feel obliged to use them. I've tried putting them in the front of my army but at most they can only get 2 volleys off or get killed by archers before the melee skirmish even happens. They also refuse to fire if they're behind my line so I have no idea where to place them.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I am fine with not being able to play in the tactical view. A lot of the fun in Total War games is that it can get hectic and that lack of full omnipotent view of the map allows for mistakes that can lead to defeat or victory if you opponent is the one to make the mistake. I like the way they are implanting the tactical view though. You can use the tactical view but that will leave you vulnerable for a few seconds where you can't move any soldiers.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
There's a middle ground and not being able to play in the tactical mode is it. No need to have to side with one extreme or another.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Basically never listen to TWCentre on ways to better the game. That guy who was quoted above not only wanted to completely remove the tactical view but wanted to replace it with soldiers who say memes. I mean, what the gently caress.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
You know that if you continue a siege, the enemy will eventually come out to attack you, right? This way you can force a land battle every time and you will never have to fight a siege again.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Carolus posted:

I wouldnt mind that.
Yeah, I personally won't mind fewer but more massive and memorable battles over tiny boring battles mixed in with the good ones like we have now.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Steam uses the download bar as a progress bar. Basically the game figured out some files were missing so they re-downloaded the files you were missing but to do that the program had to check over which file were okay so it skipped over any file you already had.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

Any tips for siege battles? While I was playing, I just let the autoresolve handle siege battles.
When sieging a castle, if you continue the siege for a few turns, the enemy will come out of their castle to fight you in an open field battle. I almost never have to fight siege assaults because of this.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Red Minjo posted:

The UI in these games, or at least Empire and Shogun 2, are hella tiny and barely legible. Like I gotta squint to read anything which is especially bad when looking at unit costs. I've got a 16.5" laptop display at 1600*900 and an external monitor at 22", and no changing around of monitor or resolution seems to keep the UI in check for me.
Also, I sort of suck at defending forts or attacking uphill. And often I can barely tell if my artillery is managing to shoot anything other than the ground in front of it without going into slow-mo, staring at the loading animation, and checking the path manually. If I could figure out if my cannons have proper line-of-sight without babysitting them, I would also like that.

Super fun games, but like with all games with RTS elements I sort of suck. Mainly just going through Empire's campaign mode now to try and get the hang of things.
Try changing the resolution into something else. For some reason, Total War games hate certain resolutions. I used to run a resolution of 1440x900 on my old monitor and the game's UI was terrible and had the same problems as you have. Now, I have a larger monitor and I run the game at 1920x1080 and the UI is way better.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
From what I know, Darthmod is actually pretty good. It's just that all the loading and background screens will have Darth Vader on them which is also the reason why I never used the mod before.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I don't think anyone hated on Napoleon here. It's only been Empire which has been getting all the flak.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Go crush a few of there armies and then they'll accept your peace offerings.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
A delay in response is something I want to see in these games. There's just something unappealing about seeing a large group of people respond quickly and smoothly to your orders since that would never happen in real life.
What I personally want is a unit delay in relation to how far your units are from your general(s).

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Tomn posted:

Well, yeah, but what's more interesting for the player?

"Let's have us a grand, glorious clash of arms in which my mighty army demonstrates its worth and valor and proves that their hiring was worthwhile!"

"Let's either sit around waiting for ages or else send all my best troops into a horrible attritional meatgrinder of a push."

True, in actual history, the patient generals who cost-efficiently spent their troops taking cities by waiting them out were much more effective than the impatient ones who went on and on about glorious battle and valor. But the battles are generally much more INTERESTING - there's a reason why there's tons of analysis about great battles and such and very few indeed of great sieges. Being that Total War is a game and not one that's ever been particularly strict about following in history's footsteps, why not encourage the bits that people find interesting and discourage the bits that aren't?
An enemy army will always come out to fight you if you siege long enough so you can always get your land battle fix that way. In fact, I don't think it's even possible for a enemy to surrender a castle, at least it's never happened to me.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
The extra veterancy you get for the better military building is supposed to simulate better training so I think it's working fine. However, a perk system per unit would be pretty cool.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Azran posted:

Also, I don't really see how a Long Campaign is feasible when after getting 18+ provinces Realm Divide starts. :v: Is the fame progress slower in longer games?
Realm Divide happens later in the longer game lengths.
In a short campaign it's about 15 provinces while in a long campaign it happens after taking about 20 provinces. And domination is slightly higher than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Koramei posted:

Also does anybody know any mods for Shogun 2 that increase upkeep costs? I know I'm the minority here but I can't stand huge armies. Or if anybody knows how I'd edit the values myself...
Changing upkeep cost would only affect you the player because the AI doesn't pay upkeep and gets free money.