Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Ready for it. Rome 1 still has my favorite battles due to how frontlines will morph and be pushed back when one unit is beating another. Apparently they were able to even improve the unit pathfinding in cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Sky Shadowing posted:

Wait what? Where is that mentioned?

Roughly around here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBUWFCEQqd8&t=237s

There are a lot of cool things coming. The campaign menus look easier to navigate. They added merchants to the campaign map. There is mod support for any mod that could conceivably be made for Rome 1, but mods will need to be updated to work with the game (so if a mod is abandoned, fans will need to pick up slack). Lots of other stuff that I only really know from watching videos and jumping in during random times in streams.

CharlestheHammer posted:

The original Rome had a hard coded unit limit so they must have changed that too

Yeah, they must have since there's now an "extreme" unit size option.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

neonchameleon posted:

What, if anything, does Rome 1 do better than Rome 2? I mean is there any reason to get the new remaster if you don't have serious affection for the old one (I've more for Medieval 1 than Rome 1; I miss the risk style map).

For the battles, individual units had more mass and acted like less of a hivemind. When you give a unit an order to march forward in Rome 1, there is a delay as they call out the order followed by each rank moving one after the other instead of as one hivemind moving at the same time. Individual soldiers actually have mass. They don't do that thing when you perform a cavalry charge in a modern TW game where the soldiers all bounce off of each other like balloons. Different units from different countries will act differently. There's a famous gif showing it off that I can't find, but if you order elite Roman unit A to walk forward through elite Roman unit B, then unit B will actually trigger a specific animation where they step aside and widen the lanes between soldiers so that unit A can march past them more quickly.

When units actually get into melee, they don't do that thing that started in Empire where they create a static line that soldiers will walk up to so that they can find a dueling partner. Frontlines will actually move. When one unit is losing, you can see them being pushed backwards and be slowly enveloped. It's really rewarding to surround an enemy army and watch as your soldiers tighten the noose as they push harder and harder into the enemy. The individual melee looks way more primitive as one would expect, but there are cool features like different units either holding rigid formations or fighting like a mob based on the unit type and faction. I just really like the look of the army clashes of Rome 1 and Med 2 way more than any historical game that came afterwards.

The campaigns can be frustrating to go back to when it comes to usability like having to send diplomats to other countries on the map instead of just clicking "diplomacy" on the menu, but when you get into the groove, it can actually be kind of fun to do things like address public order based on individual factors instead of just cutting taxes or constructing flat "improve order by +3" buildings. Population is also a bigger deal. You directly recruit from a settlement's population, so you can end up depopulating a city if you recruit too hard. Inversely, if you disband a unit in a city, then that unit will be added to the city's population.

There are also tons of mods. While Medieval 2 is probably the king of TW games as far as having an insane amount of great mods, Rome 1 still has lots of great expansive mods and total conversions.

If there's one thing I hate about Rome 1 it's the unit pathfinding in cities and enemy siege AI. For the former, it's nearly impossible to get your units to reliably move up walls or through streets, but feedback from streamers says that it's supposedly improved for Remastered. Enemy Siege AI can be really stupid. If you park your army outside the gate, it freaks out the AI army, and they'll just sit there forever sucking up arrows. If you pull your army into a city, the AI may not even attack the walls at all, or will just order a unit to run in and out of the front gate.

Some of those are things that people may not like, but they're features that I've come to appreciate more and more as time goes on.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 27, 2021

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Why did CA change how units fight like this?

I only have a few guesses:

-Current engine and combat is better set up for mo-cap? It's easier to use mo-cap for a lot of the current animations, and it's probably hard to have those animations work while the game is magically pushing said soldiers backwards.

-Processor intensive. Modern TW games are hard enough to run smoothly as it is. I don't know if it adds that much of an extra load on top of the already hefty requirements of a TW game, but it seems a likely concern.

-Looks weird with higher-detail models. I've seen some zoom-ins of Remastered, and the new models look a little strange with the old animations.

-Engines take a lot of time and money to make and they may not want to invest those kinds of resources.

-I think a lot of players and even some devs from the few I've interacted with even notice that the old R1/M2 unit behaviors even existed. May not be worth worrying about for something that nobody but turds like me notice.

-As far as the movement goes, I've seen post-S2 players try out R1/M2 and even Empire/Napoleon and get really frustrated by the lack of responsiveness, and they may not want to scare some of those people away.

Likely it's just something that they don't really care about doing.

EDIT: Holy poo poo just trying to find footage on Youtube of units getting into melee is a chore. All Youtubers kind of now play the Legendoftotalwar tryhard way of just using cheese. I just want a good link that shows off the cool old unit behaviors.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 29, 2021

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Xander77 posted:

What does that mean, exactly?

-Build massive cheese armies of specifically powerful units.

-Dance commanders/flying/cavalry units around until the enemy runs out of ammo for ten minutes before the battle even starts.

-Spend inordinate amounts of time running in circles around the map, picking enemy units out one-by-one with missiles and cavalry to minimize casualties.

-Intentionally breaking enemy AI.

Lots of stuff like that. I'm not laying into Legend at all. His schtick is his own and man he's really good at the games. It's fun to watch him just breeze through one of his viewers' "unbeatable" hell-battles, but lots of Tubers seem to be aping his style. It makes seeing some actual footage of battles is getting harder and harder.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Low hanging fruit, but the other achievement names are pretty great, too:

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

The UI upgrades in Romastered are super welcome, but I miss that sweet-looking diagram for public order.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

In god's perfect world, Attila doesn't run like poo poo and it was regularly updated like Rome 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

I know I keep repeating myself but I think that if CA could improve the visual elements of the combat engine then it would engage more and more people into the historical games. Seeing armies press up against each other in heavy, believable-feeling ways or having melee strikes that actually visually sync up well with hit animations would go a long way to catching peoples' eyes. I was streaming Remastered on Steam for a friend who's only ever played Warhammer and Shogun 2 (cause of the giveaway), and he was genuinely interested in how armies would beat each other back or march around in a way that doesn't have that snappy RTS feel that began in Shogun 2. He's now considering playing Remastered after thinking he had no interest in historical titles.

To be fair to CA, they try to wrangle the battle visuals. 3K has some cavalry charges that don't suck and ThroB/Attila don't have as much of a problem with individual units wandering around in circles like R2/S2 have. Did they ever fix the combat in Troy? I remember on release you could cheat the game by dragging your armies through the enemy. Your units wouldn't take damage and could instantly rout the enemy by doing so.