Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Llamadeus posted:

Creative Assembly put out yet another Shogun 2 unit DLC. Nine hero units, each one analagous to a standard infantry/cavalry unit.

Also: patch notes. Notably fixing the bug that let you rout entire armies by moving cavalry units through them.

quote:

Gozen’s Hime Heroines
Naginata Heroine
In the hands of a great heroine, the Naginata becomes a graceful whirl of steel and bloody death.

I can have Tomoe Gozen in my army?! :swoon: :shlick:

Might have to get this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

kiresays posted:

Fall of the Samurai worth picking up? On sale from steam. Any mods that are worth picking up or even necessary?

It's fun. The Radious Naval Mod is good. Probably necessary to keep sea battles from being super-frustrating.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

SeanBeansShako posted:

Lets review the Fall Of The Samurai DLC Clans!

Saga Clan Review!

Okay, so the Saga clan was one of the original three that came in the pre-orders for FOTS (the retail boxed one infact!) and in real life during the Bosin War was a minor player that made money selling Imported Korean pottery and china to Japan and the West.

Lets start with what makes them good. They are Tech boomers, with a embarassing hard on for the West and its Victorian tech. This means they already have half of a tech researched when you pick it in the tree which makes climbing and getting what you want before the other clans and modernisation much quicker for you.

They also get a neat bonus of a Parrot gun with their starting minor army, a Copper hulled Frigate in their Navy and trade deaks with the British, French and Americans. They even get a bonus British Foreign Veteran which will help saving money building up the first invasion stack.

Sadly, all they have is a tiny bit of the far Western Island crowded with mostly Imperial Clans. Your going to have to be aggressive while going for Tsushima (who are already at war with you) for the gold and use your Ishishin agent to make sure your neighbors don't over expand too soon. One of the minor clans north of you is your vassal too. Your token General is also a shifty unloyal bastard with one Loyalty point so you'll need an Agent to keep an eye on him or his men when going deep into a campaign in enemy territory.

Don't forget your going to need a strong Navy you may need to split to cover those precious trade routes to the west.

Appearince wise with their army, they aren't that unique looking and middle of the road with a rather plain looking British inspired uniform. The colour? Cheeto Dark Orange with brown. That will either amuse or disgust you depending on what rocks your boat.

A good clan to play if you get a good start, though with Normal difficulties things might get a little too easy for you mid game. Good fun if your going to try a Hardcore game and work towards a Republic.

Since you seem to be an expert, please educate me on the proper use of a Portuguese Terco.

From the description, I figured they were a combination of matchlocks and spears, capable of firing volleys until the enemy closed to melee, then giving a good account of themselves. So I stuck them in the center of my formation...and they got pasted. With a melee defense of two, I guess they just can't handle a prolonged fight.

So I decided to entrust them with the right flank along with my unit of Long Yari Ashigaru, figuring they could ward off cavalry and keep the flank strong. But a unit of Yari Cavalry destroyed them. I guess they don't get a bonus against cavalry, despite the spears.

Right now, they sit in my gunline next to my Heavy Gunners. Seems like kind of a waste.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

SeanBeansShako posted:

Rallying a bit more would be nice, especially if they are slightly experinced.

They seem to rally more if you place a rally point with your general, at least in my experience. As long as there isn't an enemy on their heels, they seem to pull themselves together and head for the rally point fairly often.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Wasn't there a mod or patch for Shogun 2 that dramatically reduced the odds of a clan randomly declaring war on you from halfway across the map? I automatically DOW and kill any fleet that has soldiers on it now, because they are always meant for me.

They're not difficult to deal with from a tactical perspective even if they manage to land and take a few undefended provinces. But they are a massive waste of time, not to mention a huge pain in the rear end.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
A lot of people in this thread have complained that Darthmod and Radious mod, although shiny and full of cool poo poo, changes the tactical battles into unbearable slogs. I agreed, and tried seeing if I could revert the combat changes while leaving the campaign changes intact.

It turns out that you can, at least with darthmod. Open darthmod_shogun.pack with PackFileManager, open the "db" folder, and delete all of the files related to tactical combat. kv_morale, units_table, battle_entities, and so on. I just tested it and it worked like a charm.

And sorry if this is obvious or known already; I'm pretty inept, so figuring out how to delete spreadsheets without making Shogun 2 crash on startup felt like hacking the Gibson.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

NoneSuch posted:

I really couldn't enjoy Shogun 2's campaign but I loved the multiplayer, the dumb unit veterancy and item bonuses make it tough to get back into though especially when you're going up against dlc stuff. People go crazy for that crap though so I bet it's going to come back in Rome 2.

You should really get the DLC, the unit ones in particular are worth the 2 bucks when they're on sale. The Saints and Heroes units each have an army type that they play well with, and the Sengoku Jidai units are powerful enough that you can slot into pretty much any army. Especially Mounted Gunners, sweet jesus I love those things. They're like Donderbuss Cavalry but with range.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

The Tokugawa special unit? Didn't they end up shooting each other in the back unless placed in a straight line?

They are the Tokugawa special unit, but I've never seen them shoot each other. Must have been a bug they've fixed, because I use them all the time in multiplayer. Run up to a formation, shoot a volley, gallop away, reload, repeat...

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Koramei posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJJPce-e_zU

What are you talking about.

Actually though I quite like the voice acting in all the games. How comical it can sometimes be doesn't bother me nearly as much as the over the top gruffness of most games. Them not speaking the language correctly in Shogun 2 is my only problem with it.

After Medieval 2 especially it gets pretty reasonable?

edit: I even liked the greek announcer :haw:

I was actually disappointed that the general speeches in S2 weren't in English. It was entertaining as gently caress in Rome that all of the generals sounded like they were starring in Gladiator.

"UNITS! AWAIT MY ORDERS!"

While in S2 the generals just kind of drone on.

Some of the units were pretty fun though. "ONNA BUSHI!" "Tono! Sessha no meirei wa?"

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I've never got in a position to fight a battle with Onna Bushi, it's very disapointing.

Darthmod spawns Onna Bushi as garrison units for Castles as well as Citadels, so you actually have a chance of using them and getting that achievement. They're pretty great defending walls.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Speaking of ahistorical, aren't Rome 2 and Shogun 2 built on the same engine? I'd kill for a silly Japan vs. Rome mod.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Speaking of sieges, what is the value in destroying a castle Tenshu? It doesn't let you capture it any quicker, and I don't think it fires arrows.

I miss the days when a trebuchet shot would miss and obliterate the Temple to So-and-So. I hope they bring that back in Rome 2.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

WreckSov posted:

I don't know if it accomplishes anything, but flattening and immolating an entire keep with naval fire support and armstrong guns sure lookes pretty.

I won my first game with the Otomo the other day. During one of the many castle assaults, a European Cannon fired a round that skipped through the AI's entire force, leaving a bloody streak across the ground from one side of the fort to the other.

War is hella awesome

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Mazz posted:

On that artillery pack, does it really add anything specific or just up the unit variants and add garrison artillery? Do the 12 pounders really bring anything new, or the Napoleon guns add explosives like it sounds? Is the version with the new smoke mod good or bad?

I'm not big on custom unit packs, so I figured I'd ask before I throw it in.

You can actually capture the garrison artillery and bring it along with you to your next siege a la the Guns of Ticonderoga. Makes playing a fully traditional army somewhat more feasible, since you can actually shoot back.

I don't think they have any real advantages over Parrott guns though, and certainly not over Armstrong guns. They're mostly added flavor.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Does anyone know if DarthMod screws with the way the different factions interact amongst themselves in Fall of The Samurai?

I've twice tried to play a Traditional game as the Aizu, and both times the campaigns denigrated into total war against every one of my supposedly-Pro-Shogunate neighbors. Including the Nagaoka (who broke their allegiance with me in order to backstab me), the Jozai (same), the Sendai (same), and even, bizarrely, Edo itself. Nor would any of them accept peace, on any terms, until my samurai legions were besieging their capital. This is on Hard difficulty.

It's strange because I played a game as the Saga with DarthMod on, also on Hard, and the Imperial faction more-or-less stuck together. Although they were so timid that they never left Kyushuu and I ended up conquering the whole of Japan nearly singlehanded. Maybe the Imperial factions are intentionally more united than the Shogunate? Either way, it's annoying.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Tomn posted:

I came to Fall of the Samurai after a while and holy God I forgot how completely overpowered artillery is. Two of them will pretty much shred an army before they get close, and in a siege, blasting any infantry hiding on the walls not only slaughters half of them, it makes it dead easy for kneel fire to sweep away what's left.

Still not sure what a good strategy is for a fully modern army against a castle defended heavily by traditional troops, though.

Have a large force of artillery trail behind your main conquering force. Any time you find a nut too tough to crack, wait for the artillery to show up, then bomb them to hell. Even wooden cannons are better than nothing against a fort. Alternatively, siege them out. No way can you call that gimmicky, it's precisely what sieges were intended for.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I think some of the starting provinces in FoTS are ruled by the same clans they were in vanilla, though. Which means you can totally be like "I'm playing my last dude's great-grandson!"

It's sort of jarring to realize that many of those clans still exist today. The Shimazu, the Mori, the Oda, and the Date have current family heads, for instance. The current head of the Tokugawa family wrote a book defending the reign of the Tokugawa Shogunate as an age of cultural enlightenment.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Brannock posted:

Which book is this?

The Edo Inheritance by Tokugawa Tsunenari.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I have a question about Shogun 2...if I sign a peace treaty with a foe I am at war with, will that treaty be enforced for my vassals as well? I'm playing a legendary game, so I can't just do it and reload if it doesn't. I went to war to protect this vassal, so if my enemy takes the opportunity for peace to swoop in and conquer him, it'll all be wasted.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

SheepNameKiller posted:

Nope, your vassals are vassals but they still manage their own diplomacy and can go to war without asking you permission.

Gadzuko posted:

I can't say with 100% certainty but I don't think it does. There have definitely been times I've gone to war with someone then made peace with their allies separately, unless I'm completely misremembering. You would probably be leaving them out in the cold.

Thanks. This sucks. I was allied with the Saga, conquered a domain belonging to a traitorous clan, and returned it to its pro-Emperor clan as a vassal. Saga immediately declared war on my new vassal, which I took to be a prelude to war against me. Now I'm stuck either destroying the last major Pro-Emperor clan (besides my own), or losing my new vassal and possibly having to kill the Saga anyway.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

WoodrowSkillson posted:

So I started a new Shimazu campaign after following all this threads advice, and I am doing even worse now then the last time. Christianity yet again has caused massive problems in all my conquered provinces. I kept my taxes at low and did not upgrade any castles. I own all of the island except the bridge province which another clan took before I could finish off the otomo. I now have next to no money, all of my conquered provinces are unhappy and require garrisons or no tax collected, and now I have a bad harvest hat might start a famine that I will not be able to get out of.

Meanwhile in the chokosabe game I started the other day, I have just taken the island, I;m swimming in cash, all my farms and castles are upgraded, and I'm building a huge navy to get ready to invade someone. I honestly have no idea how I am seemingly completely terrible at the shimazu but am just breezing through chokosabe.

Shimazu benefit the most from Christianity. They get awesome Nanban ships to help them rule the waves, Nanban cannons to topple each and every castle between Satsuma and Kyoto, Missionaries to wreak hell on all the soft Buddhist factions on the mainland, and best of all, the +research and +economy from the church chain. You can also get Imported Matchlock Ashigaru for dirt cheap, although they're not as good as they sound. I generally convert the minute I can swing it as the Shimazu.

Taxes aren't the way you make money as the Shimazu. Your main goal should be taking and holding every trading post around Kyushuu (the island you start). If you can do that, and arrange a few trade deals, you should be utterly swimming in cash. Go down the right-hand side of the Chi research line (to get better farms and more tax revenue) until you get Chonindo, then upgrade every province till they've all got max farms. Any province that has "Very Fertile" soil is a moneymaker, and there are quite a few on Kyuushu; max their farms, give them the highest Market building you can afford, and plop a Metsuke inside the castle town for Maximum Dollar.

Military-wise, you should go down the right side of the Bushido tree for superior cavalry, superior swordsmen, and superior archers. Coincidentally, Kyushuu has provinces that give bonuses to all three. Even if you're going Christian, it's also probably worthwhile to grab the "Way of the Sea" techs to improve your navy. Controlling the sea not only protects your sweet :10bux: trade posts, it also makes you invulnerable to attack. Armies can't cross at the bridge province if a navy is sitting near the "bridge", so if you keep a navy there and are careful not to let invasion fleets slip through, you're untouchable until you decide to attack.

Meanwhile, the biggest difference between the Chosokabe and the Shimazu is where they start. Regardless of which one you pick, you'll probably end up invading the other one anyway once you seize your initial island. Kyushuu is too wealthy not to take as the Chosokabe, and if you're the Shimazu, you'll want to take Shikoku as a stepping-stone to invading the mainland.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

shalcar posted:

You can absolutely stomp face as Shimazu while staying Buddhist and a temple with a monk is enough to keep the Nanban port province safely Buddhist to prevent uprisings. Bulk deadly Katana Samurai can carve through a lot of Japan on their own merits.

People suggest Shimazu for Christian as you need around 20 turns to retool your provinces to Christianity and it's difficult to defend yourself during this period, but the reward is basically ultimate military power. The Shimazu get early access to Christianity and have a very defensible position far away from most of Japan, making them the second best option for Christianity (behind the Otomo). Shimazu have a very strong Buddhist game as well, don't be fooled into thinking that they are designed with going Christian in mind.

Eh, I disagree. Unless you're a faction that starts near a Holy Site, or are planning to go monk-heavy for some reason, Buddhism is pretty inferior on its own merits. The biggest advantage is that you'll get along better with the other factions, and you don't have to deal with the -2 Honor loss. Sure, you can play any faction as any religion (except Ikko Ikki, Uesugi and Otomo obviously), but some factions are inherently more suited for one or the other.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Koramei posted:

I'm gonna contest this actually, imported matchlock ashigaru are phenomenal in the early game- they make a fortress almost unassailable, and rout ashigaru incredibly quickly.

Also the accuracy chain buildings you get in Buzen affect gunpowder units too, so once you have that fully upgraded + the encampment accuracy upgrade, your matchlock ashigaru trained from that province will have higher accuracy than tercos. It's slightly ridiculous. When you get matchlock samurai with fire by rank it's entirely feasible to play the game in FotS style with gunpowder blocks.

I'll give you that they greatly aid fortress defense, but...fortresses are already nigh-impossible for the AI to take. Even on Legendary, I didn't have much trouble holding off an army of 7500 samurai (with siege weapons!) with my 2000 ashigaru/samurai force. The hardest part was trying not to get motion sickness from the stuttering framerate.

In field battles they're significantly weaker. I actually despise Fire By Rank; it seems like they take so long to form up and fire that they will often not even get a single volley off before a charging samurai unit is on them. Bow samurai utterly shred them as well. I ended up downloading a mod to give matchlocks the Kneel Fire ability, which seemed like a fair enough buff.

The real advantage of matchlocks is that they're dirt cheap and reasonably powerful for their price. Their strength is more strategic than tactical. And the game rates them as being more powerful than they really are, so you can spam them and get lots of cheap auto-resolves if you want to win that way.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Azran posted:

Honestly, I enjoy the mix of firearms and melee weapons in vanilla and traditional Shogunate armies in FOTS. I just miss crossbows and shields goddamnit.

I really love the Shinsengumi Police Force unit. Rifle-armed unit that can launch Banzai charges? Awesome. Its just a shame that by the time you can build them en masse, they're usually outclassed.

Personally, I think Imperial/Shogunate/Republican Guard infantry should get Banzai too. And Hold Firm. You have to research a special tech, build a unique building, and you can only have three. Shouldn't they be more awesome?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Tomn posted:

It's kinda funny how even highly traditional clans need to fight with fully modern steamships. Though, given the lethality of cannon in FotS, a single gunboat could probably knock out a whole fleet of heavy bunes.

The Shogunate banned the construction of pretty much any vessel bigger than a fishing ship during its period of seclusion. So the regional daimyo didn't really have much of a navy (except for Satsuma, which had to have ships capable of traveling to Ryukyu), and 200 years of peace meant that traditional shipbuilding skill had pretty much been lost. The Shogunate maintained a standing navy, but with a few exceptions, it was intended only to ward off pirates and scare coastal Daimyo. When Perry came, the Japanese recognized the gulf in strength immediately. It helped that Perry gave them a white flag and told them they would need it if they ever tried to attack his fleet.

The Shogunate almost immediately started trying to modernize their navy with the help of Dutch shipyards, and the other clans did not have the money, the ability, or the inclination to start up their own traditional shipbuilding program. The Satsuma had started building and buying modern ships as soon as the Shogunate dropped their restrictions on shipbuilding, so both sides had to contend with the modern vessels of the other. There wasn't really a place for bunes, even if they could be made cheaply (and they were not cheap).

I think it's funny how awesome the USS Roanoke is compared to its historical version. The turrets took five minutes to fully traverse, the hull hadn't been reinforced to cope with the added armor or the cannon recoil, and the ship rolled so badly under speed that the guns couldn't even be used; they had to be strapped down just to keep from flying into the sea. The first time they test-fired the guns, one of them became dismounted from the force of the recoil. She was a complete lemon.

But in the game, it's all "Pride of the US Navy" :patriot:

Never was a big U.S. history buff, so I hadn't realized just how bad our navy was before Teddy Roosevelt unfucked everything.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

LonsomeSon posted:

The ironclad monitor USS Roanoke that the units in the game are based on was functionally an armored, semi-mobile gun battery. She was so unseaworthy that it would have been suicide to take her anywhere which remotely resembled open ocean, and there is zero possibility that she could have survived a Pacific crossing (required in order to be sold to a Japanese Daimyo) even if she was being towed.

The ship had all the problems Vengarr mentioned, because of what had to be done to convert the original hull into "ironclad monitor" form. A lot of compromises had to be made in order to get a functional result, and that's what the result was. Functional, but barely; adequate for enough tasks that it would do well enough to make the ship worth crewing and operating.

Yeah, its flaws were largely due to the desire to pump it out quickly in order to counter the threat of Confederate ironclads. The real-life Kotetsu was originally designed and built in order to tear the USS Monitor a new rear end in a top hat, and if it had reached the coast in time, it could have done some real damage.

Excuses aside, it still was not a great ship, or even an adequate ship. The best thing about it was that people would look at it and scream "Ironclad!" :pirate: and be too busy pissing their drawers to attack.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Can someone tell me about Boshin-war period artillery? I'm curious as to whether those 4-inch mortars were as deadly in real life as they are in game. That mod which puts them in basically every fort defense is the bane of my existence in my current legendary game.

Although I think it's cool that their fuses don't go off if they land in the water. When I sacked Kyoto I managed to keep initial casualties low by putting all my troops in the moat surrounding the castle.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Tomn posted:

Man, what is it about the Renaissance that makes people violently opposed to it? You don't really see anyone doing the same thing with pretty much all other time periods - even the objections to WW1 and beyond is mostly "I don't think it would work..." instead of "I would NEVER play such a game!" Musings about a Chinese setting? You get some interest, a few shoulder-shrugs. Contemplation of the ACW? Some debate about whether it'd work and how it'd work. Revisiting any of the settings already covered? Some disappointment, some excitement. But bring up the Renaissance and suddenly there's people saying "No, never, NEVER ever!" Why is that?

I don't think pike and shot makes for compelling gameplay, mostly.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

SeanBeansShako posted:

I was going to say, Shogun 2 has mixed unit formations doesn't it?

In theory. In practice, Tercios don't actually have any spears, or dedicated gunners for that matter. They all shoot, and then draw their swords for melee--instead of a third of them being gunners, a third being spearmen, and a third being swordsmen.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

So I've completed an Oda campaign in the vanilla campaign (and thanks to my benefactor up-thread, by the way), and now I'm fiddling with the Tosa in FotS. Does anyone have any tips on winning naval battles? My ships just seem to bumble around, panic and then sink. So far my only naval victories have been through auto-resolve. Is there anything I should be doing in first-person mode? Currently I'm facing an enemy Kasuga (large-ish corvette) with my Kaiten (medium-ish corvette) and a pair of Chiyo-whatevers (cowardly gunboats). He tends to land a load of broadsides on me as I steam up, since all he has to do is rotate in place to keep his guns trained on me.

EDIT: If worst comes to worst, I'd be very interested in a mod that disables morale for ships. I just want to bang steamboats together in the bathtub. :v:

Explosive shells turn wooden ships into kindling. The computer rarely builds ironclads.

Putting two and two together: If you're playing vanilla, make a beeline to explosive shells and you'll never lose a naval battle again.

For extra "never lose", also go down the foreign trade port side of the Civil tree so you can get a foreign trade mission. Foreign-built ironclads can be built very early in the game if you beeline for them, and they can single-handedly take down entire fleets of wooden ships if they have explosive shells.

By the way, even if they say they're copper-plated or armor-plated, they're still just as vulnerable to explosive shells. Anything that isn't a Kotetsu, a La Gloire, a Warrior, or a Roanoke is a bonfire waiting to happen.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Tomn posted:

To expand on this, the real reason why full ironclads are enormously superior isn't actually being invulnerable to explosive shells, though that helps - the real killing factor is that they all have greater range than basic ships. Combine this with the lethality of the upgraded shells and basically you can sink fleets while they're still steaming up to you. Don't be fooled by the fact that the Kotetsu has only one gun, because not only does that gun have incredible range, it's also forward-facing, allowing you to kite enemies by steaming into range and then going full reverse for the rest of the battle.

Personally I like getting advanced AP shells when I can, since explosive shells aren't QUITE as effective against copper-plates and up, and more importantly they're less accurate and shorter-ranged. Advanced AP might not gently caress up wooden ships quite as quickly, but they're still effective enough to turn bad guys into kindling before they trundle into range, and they hit more often at better ranges.

I personally have seen no difference in how quickly a copper or iron-plated ship catches fire vs. a wooden ship, and I have played a lot of Fall lately. Nor is there any real reason to kite the computer, since they don't build ironclads and rarely seem to have AP shells. If you have an ironclad, just put on explosive shells and charge their asses.

My last game was a Legendary campaign with the Jozai. A La Gloire, a Kotetsu, and a Kaiyo Maru sank thirty enemy ships--no joke. It was also the first and only time I've lost an ironclad to the enemy, as the Kotetsu caught fire, decided to flee rather than try to fight the flames, and sank.

I say "to the enemy" because I've managed to torpedo my own ironclads twice. Torpedo boats are fun, but for sanity's sake, keep them well away from your main battle line.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

shalcar posted:

I don't know, I think Darth Mod is a great instructional primer for aspiring modders. Admittedly in a 'Don't do design like this', sort of a way, but those who ignore history are condemned to repeat it and all that.

I actually liked the changes it made to the campaign map game--Realm Divide, Agent/General skills, Technologies. It was the battle map game that got turned to poo poo (morale is meaningless, everyone fights to the death, cavalry charges don't do poo poo, enjoy the sight of two blobs of samurai mashing against each other forever).

I ended up stripping out all of the battle map changes and just using the campaign map changes. It worked great. Actually, I kind of want to upload the file to Steam Workshop as "Sengoku Jedi" just to send the dude into conniptions.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Loopoo posted:

How lovely. Was playing as Great Britain (in N:TW) and I decided to attack the University, South-West of Paris. I'd been harassing Paris for a good ten turns or so, we'd both been exchanging blows, as I had Brittany and Normandy under my rule, and France would not cease attempting to reclaim the lands. I'd repel each full-stack army time and again (lovely Total War AI to be thankful for that, Paris churning out full-stack armies every turn) and barely get my men replenished before the next full stack of dirty Frenchmen invaded my borders. I'd previously had two full armies defending Normandy and Brittany, but I'd decided to send one off to Spain, as I felt that conquest would be more lucrative, less challenging, and allow me to take the Moroccan port for easy repairs of my ships in that part of the ocean. So I only had my one army remaining in the region, as opposed to two.

Anyway, my full-stack army (led by my 5 star General) that had raided the University was attacked by a full-stack French army (with a 1-star General, how terrifying). I got in battle and after about 30 minutes or so, I was on the winning foot. Only their General unit (Heavy Horse) and an Elite Young Infantry unit remained. They were stubborn bastards, and caused a lot of my bloodied, exhausted men to flee. Left with two units of Line Infantry (my General had been wounded and had fled the battle), I then honed in on their remaining General (after an extended onslaught with the Elite Young Infantry unit). Right as I'm about to open fire on the General unit and - if I can be so bold - win the battle, my PC detects a power surge and the motherboard shuts down to prevent damage. I had both Line Infantry units at 80/160 men, against the General's 15.

I'm honestly at a loss right now. A very arduous 30 minutes later, and I've got nothing to show for it. The thought of replaying that battle is nauseating. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I don't want to open the game up again, as I feel a power surge can come in any time and sap the fun away. How frustrating. This battle would have left Paris wide open for looting, I'm gutted my PC decided to be an rear end in a top hat. When the PC turned off right as I clicked the enemy unit, I can't even begin to describe what I felt. It's the worst, honestly.

This happened to me in the climactic battle of my Shimazu Legendary campaign. All three of my armies vs. 6 enemy stacks, something like 25,000 men involved. My forces took the central hill in the center of the map and fought off all comers in a brutal slugfest without any pretense of strategy. It was like a big, vicious game of King of the Hill. Between the massive amount of forces involved and the massive lag, it took nearly an hour. The hill was so littered with dead bodies you couldn't even see the grass.

Right after I won and was loading the results screen, a lighting strike knocked my whole neighborhood out. I was crushed.

Wasn't going to abandon my Legendary campaign though, so I soldiered on the next day and did it again. Even got a better result, which was nice.

Anyway, I definitely feel you.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

dogstile posted:

I've found with the TSU you really have to abuse the ninja background to win. Wait until they get close, fire off a volley and order your troops back. The enemy should come forward and hopefully you should have had hidden units on either one or both sides. On battles where you can't do that, a good old charge one side and cut your way up the line should work.

I find that if you survive long enough to get kneel fire, you've won the game anyway. Two line troops in a castle plus garrison troops is enough to ruin most average size armies if you tell them to kneel fire and post them behind the wall instead of on it firing down.

The artillery mod seems to inspire the AI to actually bring artillery to sieges, which complicates them significantly. It also reduces the firing arc for Parrot/Armstrong guns such that they aren't great for counter-battery fire. It makes sieges a lot more fun/challenging. Either you station enough defensive artillery on your frontier fort to keep them from simply shooting it to bits, or you keep a unit of cavalry or two handy to sneak out and ride those cowards down :black101:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I think the best way to balance archers would be to make them more expensive. Historically, the logistical and financial difficulties associated with training, equipping, and maintaining archers was the single greatest roadblock to their use.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

SeanBeansShako posted:

Alternatively, download the cannon mod and uses the new artillery pieces for siege attack and defense and try and milk some fun from that game mode.

Shinsengumi Police are really godlike for siege assaults, since their biggest weakness (not having Kneel Fire) is meaningless. I'm not sure whether its a mod that gives them Banzai or whether its in the base game, but it really makes them worth their koku.

You also really need to diversify your artillery if you have the artillery mod. Parrot and Armstrong guns are still king for field battles, but their reduced firing arc means you need to bring mortars and other artillery types in order to really crack the shell of a fortress. It adds badly-needed strategic complexity to the game. I honestly wouldn't recommend playing without it.

Really, they ought to fold that poo poo into the base game. No reason to have just three artillery pieces in a time period chock-full of them.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

SeanBeansShako posted:

Ah, 19th century national rivalries!

Little details like that in Fall really made the expansion for me. I keep hoping somebody would add a new batch of stuff for the agents to use to make alternatives because that pool is really small.

I don't think the French ironclad is all that great, though. The land units you get from foreign ports and the ports themselves are literally the same stats-wise, so the ironclads are the make-or-break choice.

The La Gloire sits uncomfortably in the position between the HMS Warriors "Floating Death Star" and the USS Roanokes "Strength in Numbers". I wouldn't pick the French except to get that one achievement.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

pnutz posted:

and boat-wise HMS Warrior is a fuckhueg pile of guns, USS Roanoke has extra-long-range guns in (non-spinning) turrets and L'Ocean are between iron-plated frigates and the warrior, except with the ability to ram :orks101:

It's been a while since I've played, but don't the Roanokes turrets spin?

The boats are also balanced by how many you can recruit. You can get one Warrior, two Roanokes or three L'Oceans.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
They sorta fixed that in Rome 2 though, thank Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Dramicus posted:

Yeah, this was most apparent in Shogun 2 siege battles, you could have 500 guys surrounding 1 guy on the final point and they would patiently wait for their turn to 1v1 him. Since it was the final point, he would fight to the death and could sometimes kill dozens of guys due to rng. Rome 2 fixed this a bit by having both matched animations and generic attacks. It no longer happens in Warhammer.

Honestly, it was hilarious and thematic. 1v1 Honorable Duels only, gun-wielding gaijin go home