Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
I just had my calvary unit charge straight into an enemy calvary charge and by god the visuals were p drat great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
It's tough as hell to survive as Ma Teng if you don't cozy up to Dong Zhou/Min in the early game. The one game where i did accept his proposal to vassalize early game, i was busy fighting off Gong Du while my "lifelong" ally Han Sui proceeded to cancel our alliance and invade me within a few turns while i was sieging Gong Du.

I could just be bad, but any advice on how to Ma Teng?

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Hentai Jihadist posted:

i just came here to post my current strat which i stole from reddit

turn 1 divorce your wife

turn 2 marry lu bu to your wife

turn 3 make lu bu heir

possibly then kill ma teng cause he gives a -4 PO debuff to everything which sucks

i've been cosying up to Dong Min and eating Gong Du and all the guys to the south, then I'll start competing with Sun Jian for the southlands

I'm gonna try this poo poo now, god drat.

It's especially weird because they list Ma Chao as one of his significant characters and i know about him from DWs, but he's like 13 at the start and i keep getting dunked on before he even becomes usable.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Did the Ma Teng/Lu Bu thing and i've successfully taken over most of the lands west of Dong Zhou and south of him all the way down. But now everything is at a standstill due to 2 huge vassal power blocks that have formed. Sun Quan with like 9 vassals and Yuan Shao with about 7. I'm just sitting and biding my time until their blocks engage in all out war so that i can start chipping away. Liu Bei somehow made it all the way up to my border and is nowhere near where he started.

He did not survive my war with him but his successor vassaled out to Sun Quan after Liu Bei fell. Though it was hilarious seeing a 57 year old Lu Bu strike down Liu Bei and Guan Yu in one battle.

I'm wondering if they will add in deteriorating skills with age in the future.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Sydin posted:

So is Dong Zhou supposed to get murdered by his son five turns into the game? And then have his son get the entire faction crushed within the next 20?

Because I feel like that's not the case and my first campaign is starting out really weirdly. Proxy wars are fun though. Some shits murdered my dad and I was too busy kicking over Han towns to turn around and attack them, so I just got all their neighbors to do it for me.

Yea, Dong Zhou gets killed a few turns in. What happens to his son afterwards differs, but most of the time he will just lose land slowly while bombarding you with vassal offers.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Yea Yuan Shao in my current run has 7 vassals, but 4 of them are landless dudes and aren't in much position to do anything worthwhile.

sassassin posted:

Ma Chao > Lu Bu

Just be like me and have both leading their own separate doom stacks holding down a front each.

VietCampo fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 28, 2019

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Qubee posted:

How do I use bowmen better? They do barely any damage, barely any morale debuffs, they're practically useless to the point where I've replaced them all with other units. I saw in one of the tutorial videos that you can pin a unit and shoot arrows from the side for maximum damage, but this seems like an awful lot of effort. I'm used to Rome / Attila and Warhammer where I just position them behind my frontline and they do heaps of damage before the armies collide.

Bowmen absolutely wreck any unarmored infantry, but will do barely anything to armoured units in which case you'd need some crossbowmen.

I've practically been running strategist with 2 bowmen/2crossbow/2trebuchets with pretty good success. Sometimes an extra horse archer.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Gonkish posted:

I can't get any game to go my way. I think I'm just fundamentally misunderstanding the economy, because holy loving poo poo any units other than militia are expensive as gently caress, and I am basically always broke. I eventually just get loving overrun by someone else because I just cannot keep up economically. They have a billion and one armies and I have two and I'm mostly broke and everything needs upgrading and there's bad men everywhere and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I have to look into this poo poo. I'm loving something up, somewhere, but I have no idea where to look.

Sometimes i'll trade like 3 extra items to some rich faction in return for payments over a 10 turn time period.

While as Ma Teng and finishing up Han Sui, i got attacked by a small 2 province faction to the southeast that i'm forgetting the name. I had money to recruit another stack but it would put me like a thousand in the red every turn. I ended up trading some extra items i weren't using to Yuan Shao for payments and i was able to repel the attack and finish him off before the payments even finished and by that time i had already taken over enough additional lands to continue financing that stack.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Uh, isn't Gongsun Zan supposed to be famous as the White Horse General?

IIRC They were both called that. Pang De because he rode a white horse, Gongsun Zan had entire units that only rode on white horses.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Sydin posted:

Okay but seriously what the gently caress is up with Yuan Shao's diplo AI? All he did before we came to blows was spam me with vassalage offers even though I was bigger then him. Then we got into a war and all he's done is constantly offer me peace treaties... in exchange for vasalling me. Now I just kicked the poo poo out of two of his doomstacks and am busy siegeing his capital, so finally he comes forward and offers me 6K gold for peace... and vassaling me. :psyduck:

Holy poo poo this guy has a one track mind.

Apparently his excess vassaling is bugged

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Has anyone played aging Du? His traits look fun as hell

E: Gong Du but that autocorrect made me chuckle so I am leaving it

I'm running with him now, early game it's quite easy for him to sweep up north and wipe Ma Teng and Han Sui, i was able to move south just a tad and take a copper mine and recruited just one general there to hold down the south while i sweeped the north up. Though now i have Liu Bei and Sun Ce to my southeast and east.

VietCampo fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 30, 2019

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Gong Du was one of the easiest campaigns I played but I didn't finish it.
I just rolled around with him and 2 other veterans in a doomstack killing nobles

Yea my stack didn't lose until i ran into the Liu Bei death stack

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Gameplay-wise I think having interesting pseudohistorical characters is kind of vital. There’s no one who should really start next to Sun Jian in 190, for example, but it’s dull as gently caress to have him down there alone.

Please god, let their be a Nanman DLC

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
I mean it's not like she starts off with like 5 provinces, she's a landless bandit with like 6 units.

She's rad tho.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

Kong Rong's unique crossbowmen are great. They outrange pretty much everything else.

I've also found the way to do sieges with minimal loses.

1: use some shield pike units and put them in tortoise mode. Sit them outside the walls or edges of the city and they will take literally 0 damage from the arrows while depleting the ammo of the enemy.

2: Use a unit or two of archers (not crossbowmen) with fire arrows to burn down the enemy towers

3: once the enemy is out of arrows just lay into them with your ranged units until you're out of ammo while you use that unit of shield units to draw them into melee to get them all bunched up nice and good.

Took out a walled city yesterday with only a few hundred loses while I killed over 5k enemy.

On harder difficulties the AI know to avoid shooting at tortoise mode units.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Cool Zheng Jiang run gets restarted because by the time i'm able to field a full stack army, Yuan Shao already has 10 vassals including everyone to my immediate east and south. And Dong Min owning everything to my west. Kong Rong for some reason went west down the river from his start and took over the Han city to my southwest and got vassalized by Yuan Shao as i was about to take that city. gg

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Turning on the beta version with the Yuan Shao vassal fix makes life so much easier playing as Zheng Jiang. I can actually expand instead of getting encircled by his vassal horde.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Jesus, i was battering Liu Bei into pulp as Zheng Jiang when Lu Bu declares war on me from the west. Looking around in quick deal and seeing that Liu Bei was a yes on tribute. My income went from 4k to 14k. I'll come back to finish up Liu Bei after i deal with Lu Bu.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

That was a pretty wild ride for Ma Teng, god drat.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Just had Zheng Jiang fight a defense against 3 enemy armies consisting of 6 strategists, 1 commander, and a vanguard. She killed all of them besides the vanguard who ran away.

Still lost due to my army getting crushed when the 3rd reinforcement army finally reached the battle while she was crushing skulls.

Now i was playing as Kong Rong but he died a few turns earlier with no heir selected and it made Zheng Jiang my new leader. Does the AI randomly pick someone from your court if you don't have a heir selected or does it prioritize like previous faction leaders?

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
My Dong game so far has been a repeating cycle of me accepting peace offers for cash only to be back at war in a few turns due to the Han. But hey, the extra cash is sorely needed having to fight everyone. It's been a slog, Lu Bu/Zhang Liao stack has been constantly fighting off countless stacks from the east while very slowly expanding when possible. Other stack is busy playing chase through the open pastures on the west and north sides.

I Also went the Lu Bu/Diao Chan route for this first go and so far Lu Bu and Dong Zhou have pumped out like a combined 12 kids between them, poo poo at least now i'll have enough Generals in the future to fight everyone.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
I somehow got Zhao Yun and married him to Zheng Jiang.

Praise to their eventual super babies turned General murder machines. Ofc they aren't gonna have any kids since that seems like it happens in 50% of my games.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

Wound up securing the first commandery, and when the story choice came up I went for it and marched my rear end to the capital. Lu Bu swung north and started capturing my norther region, but I took the capital and now hold the emperor and was able to negotiate peace with all but one of the guys warring with my new vassals. :v:

The fatigue immune cav is indeed worth their weight in gold, I'm also learning how shockingly effective it is to just send my commanders into a stack of poo poo, demoralize them, and then slam into their unbraced asses with the rest of the cav line. It makes sense that they are obnoxiously stupid expensive to recruit because of it.

You'll be back at war with those same guys you negotiated peace with in about 3 turns.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Love to be the southernmost Zhang brother defending against every stack heading north while my 2 brothers expand freely.

Jesus the beginning is a slog for Zhang Liang, at least he's good for all these defensive battles. There's no way for me to expand until my brothers are able to take the east and west of me. In one turn my single army stack had to defend against 3 enemy stacks, almost made it through them but my generals started getting dropped in the 3rd battle.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Dramicus posted:

Why is southeast China depicted as abandoned in the game?

I think it's to be filled out a bit in the future when the Nanman come out.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Is Lu Bu's momentum mechanic bugged?

It says he gains 1 point of momentum for every character he defeats in a duel, on start he defeated both Xiahou Yuan and Xiahou Dun in duels but still 0 momentum.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
In the middle of a Shi Wu game where i've been able to consolidate a big chunk of the central south and get Shi Xie to liberate me, I was making enough income to fully support almost 4 stacks.

In preparation of clearing out the remaining areas of the Yellow Turbans i moved all my armies to their borders.

After about 20 turns, i have given up and have been trying to sue for peace as i've been completely battered and lost 3 full stacks AND Shi Wu died already because they somehow have 17 full stacks worth of Yellow Turbans for like 5 provinces. Jesus what the christ

Good news is now i'm back to making 9k profit a turn with no army upkeep

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

McTimmy posted:

Yeah the Turbans got really weird after Mandate dropped. I'm currently trying to break through 8 stacks around their last settlement. They have multiple heroes with Brilliant so my ammo is neutered and they have best friend Huang Gai around.

And that's almost nothing on what a lunatic Gong Du is. He took all of Ye and is running around with eight full stacks who have such insane replenishment it's impossible to force him back. I had to take an incredible risk and launch a reckless suicide play to get him out of Wudu because despite me defeating one army seven turns in a row row he could replenish everything he lost in one turn.

And he's somehow part of my empire.

Yea, being in the southern part mainly is making it super hard to counter just due to the amount of time it takes to travel around the winding roads in between all the mountains and impassible terrain.

My biggest defeat was when i was marching 2 full stacks toward a tool workshop that they couldn't reach just by a bit and on endturn i was surrounded by 4 stacks that i couldn't even spot before + the garrison . Needless to say my 6k strong army got absolutely demolished by 13k yellow turbans being led by Gong Du. I'm not sure how to proceed now with trying to clear them out. I could peace out and rebuild my stacks but even then i've lost probably a couple of my best characters already and i've only killed a few of their generic ones.

VietCampo fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 18, 2020

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
I've never played as many garrison only manual defenses as i did in my Liu Chong playthrough. It was fun having those 1500~ strong garrisons completely decimate like 3500 strong stacks due to the defensive bonuses.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
First serious Lu Bu 194 run and auto resolving a farmland attack and seeing him have nearly 2400 kills. :eyepop:

Him + Dian Wei who i was able to hire, they just completely demolish armies by themselves, jesus. I decided not to follow the story and just took over most of Cao Cao's land, but now i'm just at war with so many people that it feels like i'm just playing a tower defense Dynasty Warriors game every turn.

VietCampo fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 28, 2020

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

I'm going to give that Lu Bu campaign a go as I do enjoy playing him and those characters, any tips on how to manage the satisfaction maulus as him? Everyone seems to (suitably) hate him.

:shrug:

So far my solution has been to just burn it all down and keeping his momentum high.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Anyone else try the 190 Guo Da White Wave army yet? He starts right next to Zheng Jiang.

I'm currently in a silly bind where i had about 11 generals total with 3 full offensive stacks and the last 2 generals held off for defensive deployments if needed on the west edge. They are considered Yellow Turbans i guess but they don't have the recruit general assignment they do. So now i lost 2 generals to old age and having to push my last 2 generals into service but with no way to recruit new generals, wtf do i do?

To be fair i'm still having a blast just murdering Yuan Shao and his vassals repeatedly while slowing gaining land but i'm getting spread real thin now.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Some mod was making me crash with the 184 start but i figured i might as well just clear out all my mods and check out the WU mod for a bit, any suggestions for other mods to go with it?

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
It's in the dev blog post for july. Amazon dlc for Troy is also gonna be free if you have a TW access account.

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/dev-blog-july-2020/

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
The only time i've been able to get a heroic victory is on that one siege map where the defense point is at the top of a spiraling mountain. I had like 400 against nearly a whole stack but i got lucky and the AI kept bugging out and didn't know how to correctly go up the ramps towards the cap. So they just kept running up it halfway then turning back down and continuing. The towers on the walls help a poo poo ton but honestly the AI pathing was the only reason i won lol.

VietCampo fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 17, 2020

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Goncyn posted:

What's the best move when your allies declare war on each other? Playing as Agamemnon, I had vassalized the Arcadians, but everybody else kinda disliked them, and Argos declared war on them w/ Sparta and more on their side. I had to choose between my vassal and everybody else. I chose everybody else, and now my reliability rating is in the gutter! Would it have gone better if I chose my vassal and broke the lesser treaties on the other side?

Is there any way to avoid this sort of thing happening in the first place? I was a bit surprised that it happened after I declared support for the Danaans because everybody involved is a Danaan Pillar.

Danaan Pillar's can't declare war on you iirc, but your vassals are still fair game.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Man, don't you just love vassals/allies wanting to pay you just to join your wars. Why yes i'll take free money

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Yea playing as Ma Teng makes me want a mod that allows you to off your current faction leader.

Gimme Ma Chao

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Hopping back into Rome 2 for a bit after only playing it year of release.

Checking out DEI and are there any tips? I've only tried playing as the one province scotland faction but i can't do poo poo because everyone else around me already declared war and i can't even go on an offensive without some other stack showing up on my shores.

also gently caress agent spam, my castle has 8 agents outside of it lmao

VietCampo fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Communist Thoughts posted:

In divide et impera rushing is a good strat a lot of times. Really fun as Macedonia.
The Scotland start is hard though.

Basically turn 1 get within range of their city, raise as many mercs and soldiers as you can.
Turn 2 raise any refreshed mercs and attack their city, either take it if you can or encircle it and wait for them to attack (DeI AI is aggressive) if you can't.
Then repeat and snowball until you are satisfied or defeated.

Building priority is the military one (unless you get decent core units already, but barbarians don't) then food and PO.
Try to build food buildings in settlements without a resource and build resource buildings in those.
ultimately you want your capital to have public order, growth, sanitation buildings and one or two military buildings. then i like to focus my minors entirely on cash money and food

Each settlement you get try to raise a general and put him on his own in there, they boost PO and earn exp. The orange line of skills is extremely strong for PO and income. I like to have one of these guys training for war though cause they earn exp fast.
Your military general should patrol stance in the mean time for even more PO. Getting to 100 gives you a giant growth boost.

Elephants are fantastically OP at the moment so head for Libya if you get the chance.

I would recommend the alternate phalanx and hoplites mod. I really like the default formations but the AI can't use them and their battle line will end up pathfinding at right angles through yours and its really annoying.

Sweet, i didn't realize just leaving a general there would boost PO, i just kept garrisoning my stack and losing a poo poo ton. Will have to give a faction that starts with more than 1 settlement, but i've just been starting and quitting with a bunch of the 1 province ones and getting a feel for things.