Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

Dong Zhuo, notorious usurper.

Burned down the capital city when it became clear he could not hold it.

Murdered by his adopted son and chief general, Lu Bu.

The history of this period is out of control.

an goddamn primary source posted:

Gan Ning would kill for pleasure, and he gave outlaws refuge and lodging in his offices. Whenever he went in or out, if he was on land there were horsemen and chariots drawn up in array, and if he travelled by water there were lines of small craft, all with followers in embroidered clothing. Wherever he halted he used a silken rope to moor the boat, and when he moved on again he cut the rope and left it, to show how little he cared

the same, actual, primary source posted:

Pan Zhang was a rough, fierce man, whose orders were always respected. He loved to play a fine part, but he began as an impoverished drunkard: when creditors came to his gate he simply assured them that one day he would be wealthy and powerful, and he would repay them then. Later, when he held command, he would steal for the benefit of his men and on his own account, and if one of his officers or soldiers happened to be well off, he would sometime skill him and take his property

hell yeah posted:

Zhu Huan, as general of Wu on campaign against Wei, quarrelled bitterly with his commander-in-chief, killed numbers of his attendants, and then "pretended he was insane" and left the army. Sun Quan, however, soothed him down, treated him with honour, and returned him to the front with a largely independent command. Zhu Huan remarked that now he had the opportunity to return to active service, his ailment would cure itself.

the historical three kingdoms owned just as much as the folklore version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

turn off the TV posted:

This is a pretty strong conclusion to come to after beating a campaign on medium.

games should be fun on the default difficulty, maybe

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Trails of Arc Slash also has balance issues, though

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
y'all have some serious stockholm going on in here, jeez

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

StarMinstrel posted:

uhhhhhhhh ill let you know pristine emperor napoleon the great has never ever lost a battle of any kind until waterloo, which he only lost because of treachery!!!11!

people do try and write up aspern-essling as a french win, because ?????

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
if the rotk total war was historically accurate it would be terrible. offensive campaigns would be Getting Lost In River Gorges Simulator 2019. there would be three unit types, total. your top tier military research weapon would be malaria.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean ive never seen you make a meaningful post, hell what even is a meaningful post? This a forum I don’t think you can make a meaningful post. maybe calm down a bit? I think your taking this way to personal.

i only lurk this thread but you're kind of posting like a stupid rear end in a top hat right now tbh

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
it sounds more like they're ramming the Koei Three Kingdoms strategy games into Total War than Paradox, honestly

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the A/T milhist thread is still getting over the charge penalty from the recent game of thrones season, so now would be a great time to deluge them in hot takes about 3rd century chinese warfare

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fuligin posted:

I glanced over and heyguns is arguing for monarchy again, and honestly id like to see how that particular discussion pans out

it's more of a social thread for people who like milhist these days, really

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Senor Dog posted:

do people still spend pages discussing the minutiae of bows and pikes and other inane things (like apparently swords now)

i cant believe people might talk about military things in the milhist thread

honestly not though, there's not usually a lot of ancient hardware chat, though tank derails aren't uncommon

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
it was malaria, op

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Verviticus posted:

did you try this? how was it?

I'm not the quoted poster but I installed it and

A) holy poo poo the turn times, this 1000% validates their design decision to make all the minor factions one for turn processing
B) it does do a really good job of keeping Sun Jian under control, since he now has to deal with all the lovely settlements in Southern China being able to afford full stacks to defend themselves with, especially because...
C) declaring on any of the new factions causes a hilarious chain reaction where you're now also at war with the Han's 29 other vassals, all of whom can afford to send stacks halfway across China for you since they're not in danger from their immediate neighbors

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm reserving judgement until I see 8 Princes, but yeah there's a lot of fun and interesting characters in the novel which either show up as boring generic artwork throwaways (poor Xun Yu) or just don't show up at all because they were small children in 190 AD.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
give me koei-style presets, cowards

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
also isnt that, like, the opposite of cannae? hannibal's stroke of generalship was a tightly controlled retreat in the center, not a bold advance on the flanks.

which by the way good luck doing that in total war games i think, unless there's a "step backwards while still fighting" button that i'm missing in the UI for these games. probably only elite troops or ones near a really good general should be able to pull that off in any premodern games, though.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah but total war battles always result in like 90% casualties to one side or the other even in the most inconsequential skirmishes

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
still seems more fun than the recent shibusawa-branded strategy games, frankly

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
do you guys seriously build the same exact stacks as kong rong and ma teng, just because they're both han

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
The apostrophe is important in Wade-Giles for unaspirated consonants, so Ts'ao Ts'ao, but yes.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Also you're gonna open a whole can of worms calling it old in some circles--pinyin is a creation of the mainland government, so your choice of romanization systems in writing was and to some degree still is a choice that signals political leanings especially in the TW/HK communities. I'm more comfortable with pinyin since that's what I grew up seeing.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mustang posted:

Who are all these people buying and playing 3K DLC? Warhammer 2 always seems to have at least twice as many people playing.

Warhammer 2 seems to have picked up more players along the way whereas 3k has done opposite.

Warhammer 2 also seems to get a hell of a lot more attention by Youtubers.

the wars of the three kingdoms are probably, person-for-person, the single most popular setting for entertainment media in the whole world, dude. it's just that all the fans are on bilibili and nico, not youtube.

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 11:19 on May 29, 2021

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
god help me if i have to read another take on how 3K is obviously a business failure compared to <your favorite TW game here> because there's not enough buzz about it on english sites i'm gonna scream

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

ShootaBoy posted:

Please, do tell me what radical changes they can make to the borders of china that spur another 60 dollar purchase plus however much DLC they put out, I'll wait.

they could make a game starring the actual three kingdoms, instead of the three founders of the three kingdoms and the 47 obscure warlords that got bulldozed on the way to getting three kingdoms. since TW's campaign map model completely falls apart once your faction gets big enough, making a game like that fun would probably take fundamental changes to how the campaign map works. i'd pay $60 easy for "koei 3K strategy game with TW combat" and i bet i'm not the only one.

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 11:20 on May 29, 2021

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

nessin posted:

The problem here is until CA decides to clear up the issue the evidence is that the current TW3K is a business failure (edit: relative to the TW games they're still supporting, otherwise having a game get released and support for another two years is a successful product in general), or at least not worth continuing to support in favor of releasing a new game. Whether that is a self-inflicted wound or not, all evidence goes to support the idea that whatever "buzz" exists on non-english sites it isn't enough to make the english sites wrong.

Estraysian posted:

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?786522-Valve-leaks-Steam-game-player-counts&p=16023507&viewfull=1#post16023507

"These numbers also mean that revenue in 2019 from 3K ($97 millions) was nearly twice as big as revenue from WH2 from Q4 of 2017 to the end of 2019 (~$50 millions). What is more, in 2019 the revenue from 3K DLCs was nearly 5 times as big as revenue from WH2 DLCs."

:confused:

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
yeah if 3k sold literally nothing and wh2 dlc lasts another 4 years maybe it'll catch up

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 29, 2021

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
you're not trying to make a game authentic to the Cambridge History of Ancient China version of the three kingdoms, you're trying to make a game authentic to the folklore/pop culture version of the three kingdoms with the dueling generals and the baby-throwing and the three visits and the taoist weather magic

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lord Packinham posted:

If it’s so boring, why center a game around it?

Like, I get it could be historical boring, but they could have spruced it up. Instead, we get a start period after the three kingdoms, like come on.

the sanguo yanyi is basically like the illiad in china if everyone still knew the story, it made up approximately 50% of all popular media, and you can't walk into a restaurant without seeing a statue or a painting of one of the main characters

so not like the illiad at all, come to think of it. the story is also popular pretty much everywhere else in the sinosphere, though not to that extent

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
there's like 40 loving chapters or something of it after zhuge liang, the last character that anyone cares about, bites it, and i swear to god i could not tell you a single thing that happened in any of them unless they were covered by a dynasty warriors game.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
what is "human wave" even supposed to mean in the context of pre-gunpowder warfare

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Rafe de Crespigny has some pretty well regarded, pubic facing works about late Han/3K warfare to the point where CA paid him to consult on 3K, though whether they took any of the advice or were just buying street cred is unknowable.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
human wave is an term with no academic meaning other than "it was a bad idea" with a side order of "those zulus/chinese/russians/etc don't value human life like we do." it's not a "tactic" at all, it's an emotive and pejorative term for a class of tactics reliant on mass.

the conditions--the minnie ball, field entrenchment, spherical case shot, etc--which make frontal attacks dependent on mass a bad idea in european/american warfare take hold in the 19th century, sometime in between the napoleonic wars and the ACW. nobody's sitting around calling, i dunno, pike-and-shot tercios, or a hellenistic sarissa block advancing to contact "human wave" because mass is a sign of good generalship back then.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i just checked and the wikipedia page for "human wave attack" is 95% asiatic powers fighting europeans without a single sentence for malvern hill or fredericksburg or the last day at gettysburg lmao

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
poo poo you're right, that's what i get for skimming the headers, fair enough

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the mongols are a bit later on, the immediate cause of the jin collapse is the xiongnu. this is followed by the "sixteen kingdoms and five barbarians" period (with apologies for the language, but chinese history is great for counting things) which is a pretty good sign that things are not going great just from the name.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i can confirm the column tarpit works well in the (common) case of a cathay low-tech shitstack up against an ai chaos stack; the chaos warriors will indeed bunch up on only the end of the columns, leaving plenty of room between the columns to get ventilated by iron hail gunners. its super gamey because a human player would push through the gaps in the formation instantly and disassemble you but the ai absolutely is not smart enough to do that.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
that was basically Borodino tho

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
no i mean napoleon won (the first 90% of) borodino by attack-moving with infantry assaults until something cracked, sometimes it was the right move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i don't want to generalize too much but it really feels like most people play total war games to smash their electronic army man figurines together, not to get an operational-level simulation of warfare. verisimilitude matters a lot more than actual accuracy, if that's the case.