Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Cao Cao was still pretty loving terrible, just no more or less than most of the other warlords of the period.

Speaking of, my game as the dude has descended into a two-way fight between the Yuan kids. Yuan Shu is extremely strong and has one Vassal, while Yuan Shao is tiny but has eight hundred vassals all singing songs about sunshine and happiness. I have never seen affection numbers get that high in any game ever, it'd take me decades worth of credibility to make some vassals go 'eh, he's not that great'. Do I just sit and wait for cracks to appear, or is there another way to break up these juggernauts beyond throwing down with all of China in one go?

On the bright side everyone involved in this dustup loves me and wants me to join in on the happy singing. It is the happiest depiction of late-Han China I have ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Become a vassal of one and eat them all from the inside?

The moment I read this an offer popped up from Yuan Shao with a hefty paycheck and a vassal offer, so this sounds like a plan.

...Now to use that money to stabilize my economy.

Airspace fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 17, 2019

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Fangz posted:

Red Cliffs is famous... In a tactical naval battle, or even a land battle substitute,

Now I'm imagining thousands of soldiers all chained together to prevent any of them from getting sick.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Arbite posted:

It's a bit tragicomic how much this game's eaten Koei's lunch.

Probably not in any metric Koei actually cares about.

As for 3KTW I'm more enthusiastic about the new map than I am about Lu Bu/Sun Ce, but I'll see if I want the expansion when I see the full starting map.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
New starting locations, I mean.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

McTimmy posted:

He should.

So should Zhang He. And Cao Ren and Cao Pi.

Cao Pi not having a unique portrait is odd given he basically has an achievement of his own.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
So what does 'Guarantee of Autonomy' do, exactly?

In my last Cao Cao game I had Liu Bei as a vassal, and under my protection he expanded and committed severe border gore as he has territories all around me. I fought Ma Chao who had the Emperor for some reason and took the Emperor, giving me enough Fame to kick off the Three Kingdoms. Liu Bei, as the second most powerful dude also became an Emperor and went rogue.

I reloaded. Instead of taking the Han Emperor, I annexed Liu Bei (w/Guarantee) instead, giving me the territory to kick off the Three Kingdoms, and hit me for -45 trust.

I reloaded after that and annexed another vassal that I was certain didn't have the Guarantee, and I still got hit with -45 trust. Then the Lu Bu expansion came out so I put the game down for good. (I went with just eating Liu Bei, which was the best option as he didn't really care after a few turns.)

Is there any difference between having guarantee or not?

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

The Doomhammer posted:

without the guarantee, you can annex a vassal after 10 turns with only a -20 hit instead of a -45. I think if you are playing a vassal with a guarantee you have a bit more diplomatic freedom then you otherwise would buuut it has been a while since I did that so I may be making it up.

Yeah, I forget who it was but it may have been before 10 turns was up. That makes sense, thanks.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Awww, they got rid of the old New Campaign menu. I get why they did it and this new menu is better, but I enjoyed looking at the collection of smug assholes that populated the time period. The small little faces just isn't the same.

Mustang posted:

60 hours in and I just now noticed that the retinue of an administrator joins a garrison in battle even if he's not actually on the map. Pretty convenient being able to customize a garrison for an important city on your border to get them up to a full stack.

Oh poo poo, that would explain why I'd come across an armyless city and then suddenly there's a mildly powerful retinue along for the ride.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
In my game Lady Wu apparently legitimately took over after Sun Jian died. I am almost positive Sun Ce should be of age but he's not in charge, neither him nor Sun Quan.

In the same vein apparently Dong Zhuo's generic daughter took over for him, I dunno where his son ran off to.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Whut.

There are Nanman in my pre-expansion game?!

I also randomly got an achievement for winning a battle against an opponent fielding an elephant unit, and today I entered no battles at all. Playing as Kong Rong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Captain Beans posted:

yea they got patched into everyone's game even if you don't own the dlc, along with the map updates.

if you want to roll back you can downgrade to the pre-expansion patch using steam -> right click three kingdoms -> properties -> betas -> 1.5.3 old

Eh, I'm almost as far away from them as you can get, but that doesn't explain how I got the achievement. I did vassalize someone down there so my guess is that my vassal killed the Nanman army that I saw.

I'm just super impressed they managed to make them work with pre-expansion saves without anything going wrong.