Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
What's wrong with an Egyptian faction? Wasn't Cleopatra married to a Roman or am I just bad at history?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

How do I stop it from saying this when I launch Rome? I verified the cache, nothing.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Does anyone know of a mod that isn't currently broken that makes realm divide a little more fair and fun without trashing it completely? I'm looking for a mod that will stop my longest allies from just ditching me and making it 1v50. Sure I can win it but it's not fun to have to fight 4 or 5 deathstacks every turn.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Sounds like you just pick the units with the best AP and win.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Captain Beans posted:

It sounds like if you pick high AP but low total weapon damage you would have a unit that would do less overall damage to less armored opponents than a low AP high damage weapon.

That makes more sense.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
How do I defend against spies killing my agents and generals non stop in rome 2?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Can't hit what you cant see :(

Sulla posted:

No agents mod.

I want to finish atleast 1 vanilla campaign

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 8, 2018

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Is it really that bad? What mods should i be using?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Don Gato posted:

There's a reason I've been saying for years that a Taiping rebellion Total War game would own bones, it would be like Fall of the Samurai only now with even more variety, since you have the Taiping led by Hong "Jesus' literal brother" Xiuquan, European interventions, Western soldiers of fortune and more ethnic rebellions than you can shake a stick at.

Don't get me wrong I also love the Three Kingdoms setting and am excited for that but the Taiping Rebellion is such a weird footnote that never gets mentioned in the west. the boxer rebellion gets more attention and that is comparatively tiny.

It might be an expansion like any of the various rome ones or rise of the samurai or something

How do I stop the Baktrian nobles from killing my wife every few turns? My influence is at a solid 65%, where it started the campaign at

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I wonder if they'll fix the total war classic of make vassal -> vassal invades 10 turns alter

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 17, 2018

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Imo they could've made the politics so much better in rome 2. If I vassalise someone, I should get to purge their ruling party and install a puppet that actually likes me and won't declare war as soon as they don't cop a penalty. Or use my agents to gently caress with their parties to get one that has a Likes Me bonus or something.

Also hope they come up with another way of making the game hard without enemy armies cheating and attacking multiple settlements in one go and then spawning a bunch of pikes in my territory after I nearly wipe them out

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 17, 2018

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Is rise of the republic good? It looks good.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Agean90 posted:

honestly its my favorite subcampaign.

Looks really fun, how is it for length? I'm guessing unit diversity is very low but I loved shogun 2 so :shrug:

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

i just found this old screenshot of when we got number 1 in the world in 4v4s

never mind that noone played that mode

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I was really excited for arena. Then I tried it.

"What if we made a really cool combat tactical game about the total war mechanics?"

"Yeah!"

"And then we simplify the poo poo out of them, remake all the units models and animations for no particular reason, toss out all the existing mechanics and give you no mechanical depth, resources / ammo, or any of the gameplay you like from total war games"

:gonk:

Watch some world of tanks gameplay, that's wargamings mo

Theor games are designed to make you want to progress to the next tier, and get you hooked on it like a gaming machine, then up the grind to the max so you feel the need to spend money. Its bad.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 25, 2018

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Was he being a shitheel about slaves or did he want a rome 2 like system

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

SeanBeansShako posted:

I think his aim was to simply be an edge lord and just replace one of the continent resources (I strongly suspect Ivory in Africa) for slaves. I don't see how else he could it.

Part of me hopes that guy is just some weird half rear end coder these bloated mod teams pick up for some reason and he's long gone.

ah fair enough, what a fucko.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
they kinda have it, like the ninjas that can sneak up in shogun or the ambush battles in rome 2, but they havent gone all out on it.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
they've made 2 games about a culture that forcibly erased other cultures through conquest. a culture that dragged defeated enemy citizens to their capital and paraded and slaughtered them at the foot of their patron god as a minor part of an enormous celebration of the dudes leading genocides. a celebration that the rest of the known world was outraged about as being extremely, ridiculously cruel. the only difference is that was a long rear end time ago.

its entirely posible for them to make a tasteful game in colonial era america, much like you can make a tasteful game in other time periods.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 6, 2018

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I definitely think there's a tasteful, acceptable way to do it. Theres no outrage about all the fps games set in the recent middle eastern conflicts, csgo is even an esport, and the fighting there is still a current event.

Its a touchier time period sure, but I dont think its untouchable.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 6, 2018

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Vlex posted:

This has probably been asked before but can anyone recommend a version/translation of ROTK for someone who has never, ever seriously engaged with Chinese history or folklore? As accessible as possible.

ask in the china thread in GBS

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Is atilla bad enough to not get? The battle aesthetic is really cool.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I see Attila has bought back the shogun 2 feature of letting you make a coffee and lunch in a loading screen

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Why did they think total war would be fun if the AI can just poo poo out units for free. Hard is too easy, very hard is just putting up with bullshit.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I got rise of the republic on sale and the veii are just making GBS threads out hoplites while I struggle with latin spearmen and it feels like it's unwinnable. I've tried being aggressive, I've tried letting them invade me, I've tried moving my army around the border and none of it works. When I let them invade me I sacrificed the small coastal town so I could come wipe their damaged army out with my army, and I managed to do a tonne of damage with the garrison. Next turn rolls around and they've not only healed their entire army to full but managed to add more men. If I move my army to counter their movements on the border they just raid my territory and they have such a good army that I can't possibly beat it, balance of power is at 10% for me and the very best I can do is a costly enemy victory. It's just unfair and that is really lame :(

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Rome. I am using mercenaries. Whatever balance patches they've done have made it way too hard, the Veii are just way too strong. I've tried following lionhearts letsplay too, just then, doing the exact same things as he does, and my balance of power sits around 15% in the first fight and his is at 70%. This is ridiculous, not to mention how dumb RNG faction traits are, really rewarding when 1 campaign you roll both familes having excellent traits and the next is triple red on both. What a dumb game.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
the yellow turban dlc existing makes me not want to buy it :/. its pretty bullshit when any company does it but its especially bullshit when a company with CAs record of bad launches does it

Alchenar posted:

It always takes a week after a CA/PDX game release for people to work out if the game is broken or not.

yeah its not like bf where its immediately obvious that :dice: did :dice: things, it takes that long to learn how the new game works

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
With hordes in Atilla, are you supposed to go roam around germany for a bit before taking on the WRE or just go straight for france/spain/africa/balkans/wherever your tribe is supposed to end up?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

ArgaWarga posted:

Loving the poo poo out of total warhammer, what's a good total war game that could run on a lovely laptop with integrated graphics where the ui won't make me want to die?

How old is the laptop? Can you run shogun 2?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Speaking of kill animations, are the gory ones broken in rome 2?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I just rewatched the Carthage trailer for Rome 2 and to be honest I'm glad they aren't advertising like that again. Imagine if Carthage actually looked like that!

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
This is the company that made Rome 2 and companies in general try to put their best foot forward, if their best foot is full of valid things to criticise then :shrug: if you buy this (or any) game day 1 you're dumb. If people criticising the game upsets you Koramei then be less invested in it i guess

In my opinion the battles look real bad to me and the romance superhero genreals is a bit eh

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Zane posted:

milkandcookiestw likes what he sees. he's a bit of a fanatic but he's fundamentally a sane guy. so i feel okay about three kingdom's prospects. i might just be feeling generally good about about the franchise. after 5 years of waiting and 50 hours of modding i've finally made the r2tw grand campaign into a somewhat challenging and enjoyable game.

Just dei or? I find Rome 2 too easy on hard and really unfair on very hard which makes me not want to play

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Zane posted:

dei is good but it has a couple of niggling problems that drive me insane. ai naval invasions are perpetually bugged because (i think) of non-standard unit sizing. the tiered recruitment pools are actually not much of an obstacle. and units in formation will sometimes bug out and phase through other units (usually killing them) because of how much they've mucked with the combat system. what i really miss and wish i could seamlessly port over is its incredibly deep aor unit pool.

i've instead built a custom mod list upon the foundation of the uncle billy community patch (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=754698092). it makes a number of modifications to the economy and the campaign ai that are similar to dei's. if you find vh intolerable however then my solution won't work for you. the community patch on vh severely constrains your available resources and ensures--with these resources--that you are almost always warring on multiple fronts and hard pressed to maintain public order. the balance is good enough to perpetuate the elusive total war sweet spot for longer than the first 30 turns of having to fight a careful series of battles with limited units in order to prevail against overwhelming odds. it's harsh to the point that many smaller faction starts are next to impossible however.

The reason I find it frustrating is that the AI cheats, not that its limiting. Does the AI play by the same rules?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I just lost an admiral in a defensive siege because their estrucan hoplites boarded when I rammed, stayed on my ship when theirs sunk, and killed all the men on mine

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
they really are comitting to those unit cards huh

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Rise of the republic is surprisingly really good, even on hard. It's not just a walkover after you defeat your initial enemies like the grand campaign and all of Caesar in Gaul is. I was playing it like it'd be easy and oops Tarchuna, Taras and the Senones are all huge and I picked the wrong choice in a conflict of the orders and my provinces are in full rebellion.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 24, 2019

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
in my rotr campaign, I went to go get a coffee after ending the turn and i came back to find my 4th legion had its commander bribed, but somehow I also managed to pick up 4 units of hipeus cavalry and a cavalry skirmisher? I'm not sure what happened? that legion should be at 18/20 but I guess I lost units of swordsmen to the dignitaries. How did I pick up cavalry units like that?

The legion has 21 units??????

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Caesar in gaul is boring as the romans. The legions are available from turn 1 and you literally dont need anything else. A stack of 17 legionaries with 2 balistas and a general will roll over literally everything easily. The balista is just to put holes in walls. If you spec your general with cunning up to night battles and then zeal to the -30% enemy morale perk, it wont even be a challenge.

Rise of the republic is good but veii cheat against you as rome really hard at the start. Id day its way bettet than cig. More varied too. Every town gets a big garrison, which is nice, and every so often a horde of tribesman or pirates comes and pillages your back line cities which keeps it interesting. Easy to cheese the hordes though, they disperse if you kill the general, even if they win the fight.

Also lol at needing a loving k series i7 to hit 60fps in 3k

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Aztec total war