Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

There's a half-hour video of James Russell's Eurogamer presentation at youtube here. No new information that I noticed, though some of the animation and model examples were pretty interesting. The modelling timelapse video showed a gladiator helmet being fashioned, and the renders that were flashing up next to it included Samnite-style tri-disc armour, either 15/30 variants of a large oblong shield, phrygian, scythian and iberian helmets, boars, dogs, horses and lions(!).

Also, watch the video if you want to see a stream of bare-arsed romans climbing a siege tower and a samurai with a giant face on his back.

They also say they are not doing the unlock a faction after you beat them thing, which I found to be really annoying in the original. Even if you could edit it really easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Sylink posted:

I tried to play EB as some obscure eastern steppe nation and you literally start out with super negative income and not enough army to do anything about it. It was hilarious.

I am having a blast with stainless steel, though. Being pagan lithuania owns.

If you play a steppe nation an can't win with like three units you are doing it wrong. HA's are overpowered in player hands in any mod.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

az posted:

It's cute that you use a comedy post to launch into an angry attack on, I'm not really sure, history, Germans, reality?
I love how you gloss over the Teutoburg forest campaign, wedged between a "prior" and "post". It's not like the battle changed Imperial policy and stopped them from further attempts at pushing out the border to the Elbe as had been planned, not to mention destroying three entire Legions in one go, etc. pp.
But god am I glad we have you here to fight the good fight against German nationalism, we couldn't do it without fake history bullshit.

To be fair, Teutoburg is horribly overrated. Though yeah he kind of did overreact there.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Wait, why the gently caress is CA even limiting the game to 8 factions? I know DLC will inevitably flesh out more but I was expecting 12ish factions in vanilla and then a few more with DLC. I understand they don't want to have the copy/paste faction problem of RTW but it's not that hard to add in some individuality. Hire some spergs from twcenter, they would happily do it free of charge.

Money.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Its weird, I have played many mods (not the LOTR's one in particular though) and I have never run into to much moral problem. Hell there are several mods that have issues with two low morale, at least for some factions. I am looking at you Imperium Juliani.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

The reason is that CA wanted to create siege battles that weren't unmanageable pieces of poo poo that nobody wants to play.

This was a major change in design from previous games in the series.

They should have just given everyone super accurate Onagers.

Edit: I miss the old siege ways. :(

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 18, 2013

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I do hope they go differently from Rome 1 in one expect. Their units. They were horribly historically inaccurate, which is one thing, but also horribly boring. Can't even play the game anymore without mods. for better units.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Never EVER read the Vestigia Vetustatis forum on TWC.

I saw a thread that was just about how the only true threat to Rome was the all mighty power of DACIA. Wasn't as great as the man that argued that Wallachia successfully defeated the Ottomans, even though their king was exiled and they were forced into Vassal status.

I started to notice a pattern.

madmac posted:

In regards to how CA keeps bragging about how their map goes "Soooo far East guys, For reals, you have no idea," Is there actually a point to it with their current line-up? My knowledge of Roman history is not the greatest, but it seems to me that extending the map east with their current faction lineup is just bragging about how much empty space they've created. Is there actually a (plausible) playable faction they could slot in there that would make it remotely worth bragging about? It just seems like a weird thing for them to bring up all the time.
Bactria and the Saka Raka. It would certainly make the east more lively.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

shalcar posted:

TWC bitch endlessly about how the map isn't big enough and because of that Rome couldn't conquer the entire world as is their manifest destiny as the greatest people that have ever or will ever live.

The only gameplay reason I can think of for having a map that extends far further than you would ever conquer is so that there is always a need to defend the eastern front from a large enemy nation so that you can't exploit it by just conquering to the edge of the map. I presume it enables you to simulate the fall of your empire when the civil war analogue kicks in and you still have large enemies knocking on your door.

I would think the fact that even though its called "Rome Total War" having factions exist to keep the eastern factions from being to spread out would be a good enough reason. Playing The Seleucid in Vanilla was really boring, there wasn't to many threats and they were mostly on the Western Borders. Outside Parthia, which was laughably pathetic in Vanilla.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You mean you didn't enjoy the purple pajamas?

I was actually talking about territory, but yeah, Vanilla also had major issues with their unit rosters. They were relatively bad as well. I loved RTW but man did it have issues.

shalcar posted:

I expect that it would all work similar to Shogun 2 in that every province is it's own minor clan and that worked perfectly well even with the far eastern and western clans in the game without problem. Having limited expansion options was both a blessing and a curse that made for a different style of play. As long as the play experience is balanced for the map borders, it should be fine.

I was talking about more than speed bumps. Especially for the Seleucid.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Shorter Than Some posted:

I only wish they'd gone with Hollywood Egyptians now just to see their reactions.

I don't see how the spite outweighs the fact one major faction is staffed with lovely units. I think you all are being a bit obsessive here.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Shorter Than Some posted:

I think you're taking my throwaway facetious comment a bit too serious here.

I am just really tired of all the really stupid TWC bullshit.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

shalcar posted:

I mentioned superficial diversity and I expect that this will be the likely outcome. I too want to see dead wolf guy vs dead leopard guy, but I also don't want to have them throw away all the massive strides the series has taken since Rome 1. I'm sure Carthage will play differently to Rome will play differently to Pontus, if for no other reason than I would expect those factions to have well developed armies which satisfy complimentary niches with each other and the minor factions simply draw from those army archetypes with different skins. Which would put the unique unit types around 30-50ish, which is a solid amount that is still workable in balance and understanding capacities, while still giving you plenty of templates for a million different skins to really up the spectacle.

Yeah, but if you don't do that you end up with Shogun, and that game sucked.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Tomn posted:

Well, there's a new opinion. Now why'd you think that?

The lack of diversity. I mean sure it was more mechanically solid, but the problem is if you don't really care for that (which I don't) you end up getting bored much more quickly. I mean I am not saying it objectively sucked, I know its fairly well liked here, but I never cared for it. It just didn't have the replayability of the older ones. This also happened in in Napoleon but was rather mitigated by Empire (even though empire had the worst AI of the three by far). Plus things like realm divide just killed any amount of fun that it could have had, because it took the worst parts of the older games and made it an important part. Shogun is probably the second worst TW game to me.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

maker posted:

I'm not sure what version you're playing but if it's FoTS, have you tried the radious unit packs and the artillery pack? I had the same feelings about Shogun 2 but once I got those mods(along with a few others) and I upped the difficulty to hard, it became my favorite total war game.

Maybe, I haven't played for a long while.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Fall Of The Samurai alone is pretty drat diverse. If you have issues with that I might suggest just waiting really for the Warhammer Total War game?
Nah, I have hope for Rome, I just realize that what this thread thinks makes a good game is pretty different then what I do.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Finally we get some info on the actual campaign. I am also finally somewhat excited.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Athropos posted:

Roma Surrectum 2 is also really autistic with unit names and varieties, it's pretty much loving impossible to figure out what is what when half your units are called like Thorakitai or Thureophoroi Epilektoi or whatever the gently caress.

Do we really need 50 different kinds of heavy peltats?

Yes. Its not that complicated really. When I first started playing years ago, I knew poo poo about history and got along fine.

also the sperger the mod the better. That is why Imperium Juliani is the best mod.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Captain Beans posted:

What is the story with the Imperium Juliani mod? I thought we reach peak horribad with the dinosaur/mechwarrior/predator/superman mod.

Its just a scenario mod where you play as emperor Julian (some others but he is the focus), and the guy that made it obviously has a huge hard on for the guy.

Though I wasn't being sarcastic, its a really good (albeit spergy) mod.

Edit: If you are wondering how its spergy. Basically units and factions take the EB naming route, and recruiting is extremely limited and it will take a while to build a proper legion. Like 3 turns per legionary unit. Plus scripted events. One giving the goths basically infinite manpower.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 23, 2013

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Its a submod of INVASIO BARBARORVM Right here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/foru...STATAE-IVLIANI. Like I said, I like but but spergy as gently caress.

Edit: I haven't been to TW in a while, those forums are a mess.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 23, 2013

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That at least seems to imply they are going for a more accurate Egypt. Either that or the weirdest disconnect ever.

Battle objectives aren't exactly something I like though.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Koramei posted:

Look around more, they come in all flavours.

And I don't think diplomacy is incomplete. I think diplomacy is fine; it works really well in the early and mid game. It's just that the player stops caring about diplomacy in the late game. When we reach critical mass, we're unstoppable in the field, we win every battle- why care about diplomacy then? It just turns into a tool to make the game even easier. The only way to present a challenge to us is for all the AI factions to be strong and united, and them not kicking at each other's heels achieves that. Yeah, it's gamey, but it works. I basically never finished a campaign in the old TW games, they just get boring by the end. In Shogun 2 you have a challenge almost all the way through.

Now of course a better solution would be to find a way of stopping the players from making the deathballs that make diplomacy pointless, but I'm not sure how that's achievable.

Of course not every player wants the game to become arbitrarily more difficult. I sure as hell don't. Especially when it also makes it tedious as gently caress.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 5, 2013

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Alchenar posted:

Rubbish. In real life you win with what you have, whether it's optimal or not. The problem with the level of freedom Total War gives you is that you never have to let yourself get in the position where you have to make interesting choices. You just faff about until your doomstack is ready and then move onto the next province. Que 80% of all battles being autoresolves because it just isn't fun when you don't ever have to fight a non-optimal battle.

Don't create doomstacks them. Its not like you don't have a choice in the matter.

Koramei posted:

I can understand why you guys don't like the massive ramp up in difficulty, but how on earth is it more tedious? It's tedious when you're just marching through territories unopposed and the majority of your battles are against three unit armies; realm divide makes the game less tedious.

Its tedious because it literally increases the amount of fights and factions you have to fight. This isn't hard. Unless you are just saying that not instantly winning makes it tedious, but that doesn't make sense in how realm divide makes it less tedious, just about equal.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 6, 2013

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Koramei posted:

I... think that is hard? After a certain point without realm divide you'll never face an existential threat again. With realm divide, you'll end up facing enemies on every front, you'll get overwhelmed at sea. You have you think a lot more strategically; where to place the forces you have, which provinces you'll just have to sacrifice. It also stops the AI from having depleted forces, so you'll fight tougher battles. And more meaningful ones, since you'll struggle to maintain your forces since replenishing them constantly won't be feasible. There is no resistance to the player's war machine after a certain point without realm divide. With realm divide, there is. From your post it sounds like you're complaining about there being too many battles... in which case you're not playing the right series.

That is exactly the problem. It just increases the battles without really increasing the difficulty, and makes diplomacy even more worthless then before. If I just wanted constant battles I would just play custom battles over and over again. I want diplomacy to actually matter.

Edit: I mean I guess it makes it a little harder, but the tradeoff (its makes the game less fun) isn't worth the little spike.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 6, 2013

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Alchenar posted:

I don't understand the kind of confused mind that can respond to "The game would be better if the player wasn't always free to take the most optimal path with no drawbacks" with "Just play badly then".

I don't want to play badly, I want an actual challenge. I want the game to give me a problem and limited resources to solve it. Just as in XCOM, I want the real prospect of losing if I gently caress up.

I know its just you aren't the only player, so its seems to be the best solution so everyone can win.Though I do find the "realism" argument hilarious considering how the thread usually treats that sort of thing. I guess the only moral realism is my realism.

Edit: Maybe they could make the difficulty slider actually do things instead of just giving bonuses that could help the issue.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 6, 2013

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Panzeh posted:

Well, they'd have to find a way to make units actually work together closely to make pike and shot work in an interesting way. It does make me laugh when people talk about how they love the depth of tactics in Heavy Cavalry total war, but gunpowder's ruining the fun.

They Havent really released such a game. Though yeah, gunpowder really ruins the fun. AT least in single player. The AI just can not handle it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

BlueFootedBoobie posted:

Rome 1 Barbarian Invasions Expansion had the Huns as faction complete with a whole horde mechanic.

They were also hard fuckers to kill. Unless you put an army in a city. I think I completely destroyed the huns and Goths while defending in one city. As those fuckers came at me back to back.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

dogstile posted:

In Medieval II had the mongols all charge Baghdad after I took it. Ballista towers are OP, I don't even think I killed the majority of their units, the towers did.

Yeah someone Medieval sieges were even easier. Though I am fine with not having those just to see like 8000 huns trying to break into a city and pouring through the holes. Though there were so many I had to turn the camera away from the action as the framerate dropped into the single digits. :smith:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Ice Fist posted:

Recruitment of large units also worked for cities that were unhappy. I used this trick sometimes, but in the end if a population was really unhappy and I didn't want to deal with it I'd allow them to rebel, crush the rebellion and then purge the population of miscontents.

Mods that allowed you to recruit trash mobs in mass where a godsend.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Their politics/history forum has more than one unironic Nazi, Stalinist, and 3rd World Maoist.

And Serbian Nationalists as far as the eye can see.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah, I hate that pretty hard. This probably means they are going return of the mummy poo poo.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 4, 2013

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

PirateBob posted:

Are those camels running right into a spear wall? That is pretty retarded.

Hm well the soldiers were almost 100% greek at the time weren't they?

They actually had a lot of different units of different groups. They really have the potential to be the most unique rosters in the game.

Lord Tywin posted:

From the battle of the Nile it looked like the Egyptian army had Phalanxes and the soldiers didn't look completely ridiculous, I don't think that it will be as ridiculous as in the first rome but more that they have some vaguely ancient looking units for flavor.

I would be fine with that.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Lord Tywin posted:

Another screenshot, with some badass looking Parthians.

That is pretty decent, they are still colorful, but not in the weird pajamas look way. Granted I doubt these are standard low tier infantry units.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

THS posted:

That would be cool, but I don't think that's what's going on. There are too many Hellenic factions and making them all similar is just poor game design so they are giving Egyptian units some flair. It's not a big deal.

Which is hilarious, considering the real egyptian armies were probably one of the most unique factions that existed (at the time).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

DarkCrawler posted:

Yeah...I love my historical accuracy.

Yeah and their units looked much better than the ones in the vanilla game. It would be interesting to see what they could do with this.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

shalcar posted:

Of all the ways that Empire is terrible, being not enough like a Paradox game is most certainly not one of them.

Your right it is not limited to empire.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Really it just sounds like Alchner is just saying what he wants the game to be, and is trying to invoke CA's name to give it legitimacy.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I still prefer Rome but if the ai being better is really important then shogun 2 is the better choice.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Mod question time: While I'm waiting for Rome 2 to become unfucked by patches, I've been playing the first Rome. I am currently debating between playing Roma Surrectum or Rome Total Realism. gently caress Europa Barbarorum, I'd rather have intuitive gameplay than a history lesson.

EB is very intuitive.

Though if you must, I find Roma Surrectum to be better than RTR, so I would go with that.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Here is something that is neat.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?652678-Unlocking-RomeTW-Hardcoded-Limits-Memory-Editing

If that goes anywhere is pretty impressive to accomplish, especially since they seem to have done it in a way as to not break any laws.

I know most have moved on but Rome 1 is the one I probably play the most out of them all so IDK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Voyager I posted:

I'm getting the impression that Rome 2 would be a questionable purchase, then? Its dedicated thread has died by now, has it not?

Its going okay, but its not the most active no.

The game is okay I guess, but its kind of boring? Like they fixed most of the tech issues but I still prefer the original. Maybe with the way modding works we can get some more interesting poo poo eventually, but that will take a bit.